Carnival Magic Cruise Review by Snowangel157

Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: 6M

Eh..
This is our 5th cruise (2nd with Carnival), and I can say that it is likely our last with Carnival. We sailed the same route almost 3 years ago on the Carnival Conquest and loved it. No complaints at all. I wish that was the case with the Magic.

We had a sold out ship -- over 4000 passengers is WAY too many people for the size of the ship. They added more rooms on the Magic, but it seems like they forgot to add more space throughout the ship as well. ESPECIALLY the pool areas. EVERY seat around both pools was reserved by 8am. Carnival says you cannot reserve seats, but they do nothing to enforce that. I watched people reserve chairs, take off for their morning activities, and not come back until after lunch. This happened in the "adult" area (Serenity) as well. On another note, the adult area really needs a pool. Swimming with 30+ children in a pool (small pools on top of that) is not exactly relaxing.

The food was average, at best. My husband nor I are picky eaters at all, but the food left a lot to be desired. Like I said, average at best. There were a few exceptions -- the Italian restaurant and the dessert bar (cant remember the name, but it serves coffee as well and you have to pay extra for the desserts) were delicious! The melting cake at dinner was also wonderful. Lobster was decent but small (we just ordered extra). My husband said the steak was also very good.

On a good note, the Red Frog Pub was fantastic! The Thirsty Frog (Carnival's beer) is a very good beer. I was impressed. The atmosphere in the pub was fun and upbeat, and the singer they had was also very good (best on the ship IMO).

The boat itself was very clean. I got up and worked out a few mornings, and the staff were scrubbing the steps, dusting pictures, etc. Very detailed cleaning. Dirty plates were quickly picked up, and there were always a number of waiters walking around ready to take drink orders.

Overall, it just seemed like Carnival is really cutting back in many areas. Food and entertainment especially (cheesy shows, mediocre singing, lack of activities in general). All in all, we still had a good vacation - great weather all week. We will definitely cruise again, just not on the Magic and likely not Carnival.

Publication Date: 04/11/12