Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by AyeCalypso

Member Name: AyeCalypso
Cruise Date: April 2012
Embarkation: Tampa
Cabin Category: M
See More About: Jewel of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Jewel of The Seas
We sailed on the Jewel of The Seas, after traveling 9 hours from Georgia. We arrived at 11:15. I dropped my wife and baggage off with porters and parked across the street at the Port Parking, paid $75 (5 nights) upfront. I walked backed to the terminal, walked thru security (empty water bottles, your pockets and remove your hat). Then greeted by RCI employee and signed a health form. We were escorted to our check in, given our stateroom/charge cards and were on board the ship by 11:45am. No waiting, smooth as could be. By noon we were in the Windjammer for lunch. I splurged and bought a unlimited soda pass, but it was a great treat for the week. We stayed at the Windjammer until 12:30 but walked around the deck until 1pm when our cabins became available. They literally block the doors so you can even go down the hallway. As we waited I wished I'd worn or brought a swimsuit to change into as the pool was not crowded. The rest of the afternoon we spend exploring the ship and considering I had been awake since 2AM I was very alert. We dropped off our carry on luggage later on in the stateroom and met our attendant. We had a few issues with the toilet and the safe but after calling guest relations they had everything fixed to our satisfaction before we left port. Wow! We stood on deck and watched as we slowly weighed anchor and left the dock.

Now I'll not go into what each meal was but it was wonderful. We ate at the 6pm dining and found we had enough time to go back to the Windjammer where they had fresh Sushi, a Mongolian grill and Chinese style food. Of course after the evening show we made it to the Seaview cafe for a late night sandwich or salad.

I've seen lots of questions about drinks, movies and entertainment. Beer prices ranged from $4.75-$5.25, mixed speciality drinks went from $6 - $8 and more if you got a souvenir glass. Wine prices varied greatly.

Our stateroom TV showed the latest Harry Potter movie and Pirates of the Caribbean IV, but only in French, Spanish, Italian, German or Portuguese.

Movies shown in the theatre (each day a new one and in this order):

"Zoo Keeper", "Cowboys & Aliens", "Larry Crown", "The Help", "Transformers Dark of the Moon"

Internet pricing was $35/60 minutes or pay by the minute $0.65/minute. They did have an early bird special from 7-9am, just $0.44/minute.

Entertainment:

Sat: Comedian Carl Guerra (bombed it was a waste of time. Just not funny)

Sun: West End To Broadway - Royal Caribbean dancers. 5 stars Fabulous

Mon: Travis LeDoyt - Tribute to Elvis Presley (sings/dances like 1950s Elvis) worth the price of the cruise alone. Super guy to meet afterwards. Loved it.

Tues: City of Dreams - Royal Caribbean dancers. 5 stars Fabulous!!!

Wed: Los Pampas Gauchos - funniest group by far. Argentina showmen with whips, boleros, audience participation, etc. Excellent Act!!

Things I was surprised about. We took the Radiance of the Seas last year (sister ship to the Jewel). Same itinerary. But now RCI strictly controls picture ops, you can't even have someone else take a picture with the captain. You can't even talk to him either. They have a handler like at Disney to move

people along, but the free champagne was fabulous and not watered down.

ODD: The midnight buffet (wings, fruit, dessert, ice sculptures and rolls) was on Monday night after we left Cozumel and then we had to get up early the next day (7am) for shore excursions to Costa Maya. Last year they did it on our port night in Costa Maya.

They mention an All Access Tour at the beginning of the trip. It includes the Theatre, Galley, Engine room, and the Bridge. Price $150/person. No kidding. Last year they gave a free tour of the Theatre to anyone and a meet and greet with the dancers.

OVERALL: Lots of Winds and yes the ship swayed but nothing to lose sleep over. As always crew did a wonderful job everywhere you turned. Lots of dance parties, trivia games, and I did the rock climbing wall twice (25 foot climb) with cupped rocks to make it easier. It was a very relaxing trip, destressed us and we actually signed up for our next cruise while on board to take advantage of the $100 on board credit and low deposit. Next year look for my review on the Freedom of the Seas. Cabin was well maintened and bathroom had No shower curtains but instead curved shower doors.

Publication Date: 04/11/12