Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by sheknott: A Great week on the Sun

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Western Caribbean Cruises

A Great week on the Sun

Sail Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This was our fourth cruise, two on Carnival, the second on Norweigan, last year we cruised on the Pearl. I found I really like the freestyle cruising.

We drove and used the Park N Cruise. No problems, we did have a little wait when we arrived, we paid, parked and the shuttle for the Sun arrived. Everyone there was very helpful and they were very busy. When we returned, we had about a fifteen minute wait for the shuttle. Very busy in the shuttle pick up area.

Embarkation:

Check in was a breeze, we arrived about 12:00 and walked on the ship about 12:30. We were off to lunch at the buffet. We explored the ship a bit and then off to our room to unpack. Then it was time for the drill and this drill was taken seriously. Everyone to the reporting station, lined up elbow to elbow and standing behind the partition. Then it was time for a drink and up to the deck outside the observation lounge, vacation has officially started. It was a great place to More be.

Our week on the Sun was a good week. I agree with all the comments about the bathrooms and the small shower. We had a balcony cabin on the 9 th deck. The balcony had glass doors and not sliding doors. The ship does not flow like other ships, it is a pain to have to have a shirt/shoes to go through the buffet to get to and from the pool. And you have to go through public rooms to get to other public rooms... But the bottom line is this is not a deal breaker... It was great to be on vacation and the minor things did not matter one bit.

We found the crew and the staff to be very friendly, they always greeted us with a smile and hello. We went to all the shows and enjoyed them, especially the hypnotist and the comedian. Good entertainment and Jamie was a good cruise director, you can tell she enjoys her job. We had dinner in the dining rooms every night, we enjoyed the Seven Seas dining room the most. Miguel provides excellent service... service was quick, the food was good and never had a wait. We had breakfast in the buffet every morning and lunch at the pool deck or Great Outdoors. We enjoyed all our meals and have no complaints.

Our itinerary was the Western Caribbean; Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica and Great Stirrup Cay. I did like Cozumel and again really enjoyed Great Stirrup Cay. Although, we did get run off by an upcoming storm, we did get our beach day in but some had a real rough ride back on the tender. I am not a fan of Grand Cayman, things are way over priced. Jamaica is Jamaica, my second time there, but the first time on a ship. I know they depend on tourists to support their family, but to the point they make you feel uncomfortable.

Disembarkation was a little slow even though we arrived early. We really like the self carry off of the bags. The line started moving off the ship about 8:45 am, through customs and out to wait for the shuttle. We were in the car and headed home at 9:30 a.m.

I would cruise the Sun again if I got the deal I got for this cruise and not even think twice about it. I had a great vacation. I am now looking forward to planning my Alaska cruise!! Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Pool Deck 9255

Balcony room 9255. We needed another bathrobe, and the remote did not work when we arrived. I left a note for the steward and it was taken care of right away. There is plenty of storage, both closets and in the bathroom. I am not a fan of the glass doors, I prefer the sliding doors. The last night the wind whistled all night through the doors because of the high winds.