Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by rescarb

Member Name: rescarb
Cruise Date: March 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: AQ
See More About: Celebrity Equinox Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Celebrity Equinox
We've tried Norwegian, Disney, Princess and Royal. We like Royal Caribbean the best by far so we stayed with them for the next couple of cruises. When we found out that Celebrity was owned by Royal and supposed to be even better we decided to try it even though it was more quite a bit more expensive. We have cruised the Caribbean several times and I liked the fact that the Celebrity itinerary offered ports of call that I had never been to.

We booked through the 800 number on Celebrity's website. We always get a balcony room but on Celebrity there was an immediate up-sell to the Aqua or Concierge Class of balcony. The Aqua Class offered meals in Blue (the all organic, health conscious restaurant), higher tread count sheets, unlimited access to the Persian Garden part of the spa and multiple other amenities. I'm a sucker for luxury so I fell for it and booked an Aqua Class Veranda.

The ship was BY FAR the most beautiful ship I have ever been on. It is truly 1st class from bow to stern.

However, I am NOT a fan of Celebrity and will not likely be booking on this cruise line again for the following reasons: Boring, old & expensive.

The Aqua Class up-sell was a total rip off! The rooms are exactly the same as a standard veranda room and the extras do not justify the huge increase in fare.

Everyone is old. Okay, so I'm 40 (not a spring chicken) but I'm guessing the average age on this ship was 70. The night life was super lame and their idea of activities during the day included pool-side ring toss or bean bag toss (insulting). Thankfully I love lying by the pool reading because there was NOTHING else to do. By comparison, Royal Caribbean often has so much to do that I have a hard time deciding what I want to do most when 2 or more fun things are going on at the same time.

I purchased the beverage package (for $500). It was okay. I'm not sure if I lost money or broke even. I typically drink more than I did on this cruise because I'm dancing/partying late at night. But since I felt like I was on vacation with my grand parents and there was nothing to do, I drank less this trip.

When you book Aqua Class you are assigned to Blue for your meals. It was a beautiful restaurant and the service was great. However, at some point I got board with "healthy food". We crashed the main dining room a couple of times because I wanted sauce, dessert, fattening cruise food! I can only take so much grilled fish and steamed veggies.

All in all, I will be returning to Royal Caribbean. At least for the next 25 years!

Publication Date: 04/11/12