Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by katmac

Member Name: katmac
Cruise Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: D1
See More About: Mariner of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Mixed Review
March 25th... Galveston Port, so easy in and out... no complaints.

Pablo our Room Steward met us at our door and greeted us very friendly.

Our Balcony Suite was GORGEOUS!!! Very large, very clean, absolutely wonderful!

Dinner in the MDR the first night was so disappointing. Our Waiter had to be the most snarky man I've ever met. Actually his facial expressions to our mild jokes were at times down right rude. This was my 4th cruise with Royal Caribbean and I was very disappointed in the food, service, and general attitude of the wait staff.

I've read several reviews on here about the same treatment of the Mariner of the Seas this spring and I highly agree. Really glad it was not just me. We found the general attitude of a lot of the staff to be very distant and either hurried, or irritated with our questions. And then towards the end of the cruise begging us for good reviews on the survey card?? What was up with that?

Roatan Honduras was wonderful and we did an RCI excursion to one of the beaches. The beach was lovely and the lunch they served was great too!

Belize was even better... we decided to go with a local company www.belizecruiseexcursions.com and took a boat ride up the New River to the Lamanai Ruins... WORTH EVERY PENNY. It was only 75 per person... Easy to find our guide as we got off of the 1st tender... They whisked us away, and we got back to the port about 4:00pm to catch the last tender back to the ship at 4:30pm. I highly recommend this company. You can book with them and don't let others make you worry about getting to the ship on time. This is their job. They know what they are doing.

Cozumel was a shopping day and we did just that, and ended up at Senior Frogs for Margarita's. Oh... we also went to a DELICIOUS restaurant towards downtown, called Pancho's Back Yard... the most delicious guacamole salad I've ever eaten. Very very good food!! Wonderful atmosphere!

On the ship we LOVED the night life. We danced in the Dragons Lair almost every night. The DJ was awesome and my daughter and I even taught him a line dance "The Booty Call". Lots of Fun!

The Disco Night on the 5th Deck Promenade was tons of fun... the Dance under the Stars in the Solarium on the 5th night was great too!

We spent every night after dinner in the English Pub with an incredible guitar player Marty.. He played great 70's 80's folk music.

The Windjammer food was over the top great this trip. I've been on several ships where it was just ok... the Mariner of the Seas, has some seriously excellent cooks in the Windjammer. Variety was fabulous. But.. again, the wait staff never once asked to refill my drink or even ask if we needed anything... they seemed to be everywhere, but very distant in hurried.

One MAJOR complaint. My daughter who is 19 and I did not pay for a coke package this time, as we decided to save on calories and drink Tea or Lemonade or just water. It was very irritating to have to visit a bar or the Windjammer for a glass of water. On previous ships they've had Drink Stations at the pool, and on several of the decks and you just help yourself. On the Mariner you either had to visit deck 5, at their snack station, or a bar where they only had water, or go all the way up to Deck 11 to the Windjammer.. and if you wanted something free late at night.. well, your pretty much out of luck, unless you get dressed and trek all the way to the Cafe Promenade on Deck 5.

Overall... the trip was lovely... HOWEVER... Spending 3 thousand dollars to have the waiter tell my daughter that she could not have a starter as her main course, was just flat irritating. I looked at him, at one point on the third night and said... "I'll have every single one of these things on the menu! I just cannot decide what I want, so I'll take one of each of them." At first he looked at me like he was shocked that I said it. Then when the smart*** brought all 5 of my main dishes, he set them down on the table with a little more force than necessary. I just smiled sweetly and my daughter and I left the table a little MORE than full that evening! LOL

I was extremely glad I did not include my gratuity in vouchers this trip, as his tip along with a lovely note from me on our last evening reflected his service.

Sad really... as I've only had wonderful marvelous waiters on all my other cruises that went above and beyond what was necessary to make our entire family feel special!

One last thing... the shows in the Savoy this time were severely lacking. I was so disappointed with the same shows the last 4 cruises... they need to change it up a bit... The singers were just so so.. the dancers were really good, but the quality of the show was really poor in my opinion. We spent more time visiting in the public rooms than we did wasting time on the entertainment. I will say the Ice Show was worth watching. Really well done, and they skating was beautiful!

I will use RCI again... but my next vacation next summer I am going to try a different cruise line... Just for the heck of it!

Happy Cruising!