Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by S10Catman: Freedom Escape

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Freedom Escape

Sail Date: March 2012

This will be rather short as it was an uneventful cruise. Nothing out of the ordinary except the room we chose, Upper deck (6) 6450. The room runs lengthwise of the ship but had plenty of room with a long but narrow balcony for the 2 of us and was well maintained by the room steward. We did notice some noise from the machine room below us when dropping the retrieving the ropes (motor/winch whine) and you could hear and feel the props turning at night. Occasionally if the International (I think that was what was below us) lounge got cranked up you could hear the music faintly. Only complaint about the room (actually not the room) the TV service on-board was pitiful but that's not why you go cruising. They had basically no news service worth watching (CNN and HLN International) and the only thing going on in the world was the Trayvon shooting. As sad as it is, there are far more important things going on besides that. Not really Carnival's problem but the services they provide More on the TV.
Food for the most part was good, not everything was to my liking but I was always able to find something I liked. The Indian Buffet (if you like Indian food) was excellent, burger bar - burgers what can you say it's ground meat and a bun. Buffet - limited selections - 1 beef, 1 chicken, 1 fish and usually 1 pork entree was available. Main dining room - we only ate there twice and it was good both times. The Sun King - Very good steaks, great service for the money.
Casino - seemed to run a bit tight on the machines - DW hit $1100 on the 3-card poker table on one night a $400 another night, me not so lucky, so lady luck could be found.
Ports - Antigua - since we've been there before and taken different tours before we decided to just shop, same ole stuff as every other port in the Carib. Tortola - the economy has seemed to hit them fairly hard, we noticed a lot of businesses closed (outside the port area) and it seemed rundown since our last visits there. St. Thomas - it was St. Thomas with a NEW Senor Frogs! - Nassau - we've been there too many times to write about it.
Overall - We always enjoy cruising even to ports we visit several times but we tended to spend a lot of our time just window shopping and lounging around the ship. Met some new friends so in all another good cruise. I'm not exactly a Whale Tail fan and the last time we were on the Freedom, we were disappointed in how noisy this ship tends to be, it is still a fairly noisy ship (loud engines, prop noise, creaks and groans, and if the music were any louder I'd need ear plugs and I'm hard of hearing! It was all about the itinerary this time so we can overlook the noisiness of the ship. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Upper 6450

Upper deck (6) 6450. The room runs lengthwise of the ship but had plenty of room with a long but narrow balcony and was well maintained by the room steward. We did notice some noise from the machine room below us when dropping and the retrieving the ropes (motor/winch whine) and you could hear and feel the props turning at night. Occasionally if the International (I think that was what was below us) lounge got cranked up you could hear the music particularly the bass sounds. Long hallway lined with 3 closets- plenty of hangup and shelf space. Small bathroom with standup shower and single sink - the curtain curved out so you didn't have to suffer the shower curtain attacks! Enough shelves in the bathroom for 2 people's toiletries.