Queen Victoria Cruise Review by Touristbjoh: WOW! What an experience

Compare Prices on Queen Victoria Transatlantic Cruises

WOW! What an experience

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Recently returned from a Transatlantic crossing from New York to Southampton on the Queen Victoria and it was am amazing cruise, such that when we berthed in the UK we didn't want to disembark.
Each cabin has a steward to attend to domestic matters, and ours, Ali, was quietly efficient and most helpful. Most days we did not see him but you knew he had been as the room was always spotless, towels always changed and anything else required carried out whilst we were out enjoying ourselves. If we needed anything and he wasn't in sight, a quick call to the Pursers reception and he was there within minutes to carry out the assistance we requested.

We were amidships which is the most stable part of the ship in case of More turbulence but having said that the crossing was so smooth, most times you could not tell you were on board a ship. There was only one day when you felt the ship moving and even that was enough to cause disconfort. We were probably lucky with the weather as it was warm enough to sit outside and relax in the sun. We had to cross the Bay of Biscay overnight, which is notoriously stormy, but we never even noticed.

Cunard Line prides itself on its exceptional service and it was even better than we anticipated. We ate in the Britannia restaurant and the choice of meals would suit every appetite. We were served by Jane and her assistant waiter Jo and both were unfailingly courteous, helpful, friendly ,efficient and went to every effort to make sure we had everything we wanted. Not only was the food delicious, it was served quickly and with no long wait between courses.
Special commendation should also go to Ritish the wine waiter and Joaquin, the Head Waiter whose service equalled that of Jane and Jo. In fact, throughout the voyage there wasn't a single member of staff that didn't meet an exceptional standard of service.
It would take too long to describe what was available on the menu, there was something different every day and each was as good, with especial commendation to the desserts, which were so "moreish" and delightfully "naughty but nice".
If you wanted Self Service or decided to eat outside of restaurant hours, the Lido deck offered a buffet that was the equal in quality and service of the Britannia restaurant. Though you could help yourself, the staff were always willing, and even offered without prompting, to serve whatever we wanted.

I went to the Fitness Centre every morning in an effort to work off the food I had eaten the day before, but I feel that was more to do with giving me an excuse not to refuse the offerings and so ease my conscience a little.
Still, the whole point was to pamper ourselves, and this ship certainly offered that opportunity in abundance.

I cannot comment on all that the ship offered, our days were so filled with eating and relaxing that we never found the time to engage in the daily activities, which had a variety to suit everyone.
Indeed, the whole ambience of the cruise was to relax and enjoy yourself and you couldn't fail to do that on this ship.

I will mention the Library though. Usually I take a book or two with me and a crossword book but their library was so well stocked you can yourself the trouble of packing books as there will be something of interest for all tastes.

A lot has been said before about tipping and it is an american culture and we British can tend sometimes to be rather parsimonious. Cunard Line is american owned and 15% is taken off automatically to cover tips for all the staff. I had felt this was unfair as we had paid for service we had not yet experienced but all i can say is that it not only removes the need for tipping each and every time you dealt with the staff, but they fully deserved it and were worth every penny they received. All I can say is that if you have reservations about tipping, you will, I'm sure, be convinced as I was, that it was merited.

I could write pages detailing everything we did or experienced but all I should say is that if you are hesitant or not sure about crusing, then take the chance on the Cunrad Line and you won't be disappointed.
We were a little unsure but we took the chance and were mighy glad we did. We shall certainly cruise again with Cunard, whether it be on the Queen Victoria or the other two ships in the fleet. After this I have no hesitation in assuming each ship, and whatever cruise I select, I am confident the standard set by this voyage will be met. Less

Read more Queen Victoria cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Victoria Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Victoria Balcony - Wheelchair Deck 5 5110

I am a wheelchair user and the cabin we were allocated was 5110 (amidships) and was very spacious with a large balcony. There was plenty of room for me to manoeuvre and the bathroom excellently laid out with a good number of handrails and easy managed shower. It was also situated quite near to the lifts which was useful as the passageways to the cabins are quite narrow. There is room to accommodate a wheelchair but that pretty much fills the aisle. We were amidships which is the most stable part of the ship in case of turbulence but most times you could not tell you were on board a ship.