Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by CimW

Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: 8C

Wonderful Cruise!
For this cruise it was my Mother and I. We had a week in Vegas prior to the cruise. Took the LuxBus from Vegas to Anaheim and would strongly recommend the LuxBus.

After deciding to take the bus from Vegas to Anaheim it left me with how to get to Long Beach and when. So we stayed at the Super 8 by Disneyland which the LuxBus dropped us off right in front of the hotel. I was able to watch the fireworks from the hotel. The Super 8 was just a Super 8 but it was clean, they have a pool and not super far from Disneyland. You can easily walk to Disneyland from this hotel.

Used Karmel Shuttle from Anaheim to the cruise terminal. Karmel Shuttle was a few dollars less than the bigger shuttle companies. The shuttle was clean and the driver friendly. They were a few minutes late which prompted a call but they did show up. I cannot remember how late they were, just glad they came. I might try them again, could have been just an off day.

CRUISE:

It was wonderful. This was my 3rd cruise on the Splendor. My mom reached Platinum for this cruise which was nice!

Embarkation:

Oh goodness, it was cold, raining and very windy. We were lucky to be able to go in to the VIP check in and wait there. We don't know where the other passengers had to wait but if it was outside I'm sure they were not comfortable or happy. We arrived at 11:30 and were on board by 12:30. Walking over to the ship on the gangway was really miserable. But we went to the Lido for food, took turns trying to salvage our hair and we were good to go. Not long, maybe an hour, they opened up the rooms.

Cabin:

We had a balcony which was very nice. Our location was great, I thought it would be noisy but it was not.

Our cabin steward did a great job on the cabin.

Our beds were hard so our steward put a couple of thin mattress pads which didn't do much but still slept great.

We did not get the sample goodies on this cruise. In fact the bowl showed up towards the end of the cruise. I did miss seeing what the goodies were but not a big deal.

The balcony was great, it was windy on the balcony.

TV channels kind of stink. I wish they would have a HGTV channel or food channel.

We did have a letter in our cabin listing what a Platinum member receives. For laundry it stated one bag. We sent that off the first day but end of cruise I needed a couple more things washed and we were not charged, but the bag was only half full.

Mid cruise was a plate of chocolate dipped strawberries and a nice shoulder bag.

Food:

I always found something I liked on the Lido buffet. I tried the Tandoori, it was good.

I always dreaded eating dinner in the MDR because it always seemed chaotic and slow to get food. But this cruise was different. We ordered and did not have to wait long for our food. When we were ready for our next course it was ready. The only negative is the noise in the dining room, quite loud.

Most of the food was tasty. A couple things I didn't care for, the steak didn't have much flavor. The Alligator fritters, they were different, not sure I got a good taste of the alligator but I tried it. No escargot on this cruise.

And of course the banana splits and the warm chocolate melting cake were delicious. The first two nights I ordered both plus a cappuccino.

Entertainment:

The production shows are the same shows since my first Splendor cruise, same songs, same costumes, same dance routines. I went because my mother wanted to go otherwise I would have skipped them. One of the shows has fun Las Vegas costumes. They are entertaining but something different would be nice.

Played bingo a couple times, didn't win but fun.

Played in the casino and both my mother and I had some luck on the slot machines. They have a new arcade style game in the casino, the casino vault or money vault. It became addictive to watch, luckily I was smart enough to try it only a few times.

Ports:

In Cabo we went to Lo Lo Spa behind Solomon's Landing Restaurant both days. The massage is 50 minutes for $25 and it is a good massage. It is a very small place but it's great.

In Puerto Vallarta we were dropped off at the plaza, walked down the Malecon and were going to go to a certain restaurant but it had moved, cab recommended another restaurant which was isolated in a city block but didn't have the good we wanted. Decided to go to another restaurant way back in the old town, got there and it was closed. We had a nice driving tour of Vallarta but ended up at the mall by the ship and Walmart. The mall is very nice inside, they have a food court with McDonald's and other food outlets and a Starbucks.

Disembarkation went very smooth. Had tags 8 and were off by 9:30.

Publication Date: 04/06/12