Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by honey1946

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by honey1946
Member Name: honey1946
Cruise Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Galveston
Cabin Category: D1
See More About: Mariner of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Mariner of the Seas
Where do I began? Customer Relations were poor. We had 10 cabins together and on the day of Departure, Sunday, we asked that the balcony dividers be opened to we could party there. Nothing happened. On Tuesday we were planning a surprise BD party and I went to Guest Relations again to ask that at least two adjoing one of the cabins be opened. I was told that the doors were painted together. Really? A screwdriver would take care of this and I pointed it out. She Called maintenance and they said they would get back to her. They did open two panels but they were down the hall and not the ones I requested. I called again and this time was told "their tools are broken". I told the young lady to send an engineer down. That did not happen. We crammed 25 people into a 154 ft. room and one balcony. On Thursday they came and did open the panels. The problem was that the salt had caused the metal parts to rust making them difficult to open. This should be regular maintenance. If you are not going to maintain them, seal them shut and post a notice.

This ship is to go into drydock in april, 2012 and it needs it. Too many things do not work.

Next problem, as you enter and leave every dining room there are hand sanitizer dispensers which is a good thing. What is really bad is that nearly everytime I entered one of the public restrooms, someone NOT WEARING GLOVES

was cleaning the toilet, reaching into the trash can to pull out the trash and wiping the counters down. Talk about spreading germs and taking your life in yur own hands!. Our cabin steward did the same thing.

THE DINING ROOM - We have traveled on a number of Roy Caribbean ships and by far the food was the worst. It was unimaginative, blandly prepared and obviously cost utting measures are in place. Shrimp cocktail shrimp were like rubber because what they serve is shrim that has been boiled/steamed then re-frozen before purchase then defrosted and served. A simple solution is to buy fresh uncooked frozen shrimp but then this would entail a little more work.

I have never had such bland prime rib. There was absolutely no seasoning. It should have been encrusted with salt, pepper and garlic then cooked and served. They offered gravy, really? gravy on prime rib?

I think the beef stroganov was made from recyled meat from the previous evening and did not look like any I have ever seen or eaten.

We commented to the Head Waiter about the poor quality and he chastised the waiter who then whined to us. The next night there was a card on the table advertising a filet mignon for $14.95. He commented that the menu did not offer much so this was an option. Well someone blew that. Why did it not offer much and why not just offer the filet as an option on the menu. None of us opted to pay the additional price.

The last 2 nights the waiter mentioned that he really needed a good review on the review card or he could be sent home If you provide good service and a good attitude you get a good review.

This is supposed to be fine dining yet we were served coffee in mugs rather than a cup and saucer. We complained and were told they would get them but a 'lot of them were broken'.

There were some bright spots. The bartender in Boleros was extraordinary and went out of her way to serve our group who are a lot of fun. By the end of a 3 hour session she was able to call each by name and new our drink preferences.

The muscal group Prime Time was excellent.

Windjammer cafe was pretty decent.

Publication Date: 04/05/12