Carnival Valor Cruise Review by jackatelukemolly

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Valor Cruise Review by jackatelukemolly
Carnival Valor
Carnival Valor
Member Name: jackatelukemolly
Cruise Date: March 2012
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Great value
We booked an inside cabin last minute and got a rate of $325 pp.which included taxes.good start.

We flew into Miami day of cruise with just a couple of hiccups.we flew delta with only 1 bag which weighed 69lbs.no problem I thought as I will pay the $25 fee per 50lbs for a totall of $50-the airline wanted to charge me $25 bag fee and $125 overage.this didn't make sense to me so after 20 mins arguing back and forth we went and bought another bag and only had to pay the $50.poor marks here delta.i don't mind you making money but gouging me is quite another issue.i will do my best to avoid this airline in future.second minor issue was the cabfare to the port .we were charged $35 instead of the flat rate of $25.not a big deal $10 but again with the gouging.

We arrived at the rush hour and it took approx 75 mins to board the boat.we had a beer in the bar when we got on board and then toured the boat.we sailed rccl adventure of the seas last time and while the valor cannot compare to that boat it is still a nice vessel.thelayout as mentioned on these reviews is weird and takes a little getting used to.

Food in the mdr was good.however my wife eats very plainly and the alternate dishes didn't suit her too well.rccl has the upper hand here.they always had a good steak.service was very good.jjune and his helpers worked hard and were very professional.

We ate at the steakhouse and I liked it.i had the surf and turf which was very nice.wife had the cowboy steak which she ordered rare but came out rare on the inside and blackened on the outside.she only ate a few bites of it.be aware of this before you order your steak.was it worth the extra $60 plus tip? For most people probably but I would skip it next time.also service was extremely slow.it took almost 2hours.

Lunches were good at the buffet but breakfasts were horrendous.i think I was eating scrambled eggs but I'm still not sure.they will cook you real eggs at the omelette station but lines can be long.

Pizza was excellent as was the fish and chips.deli was pretty good and sushi was more of a tasting bar.3small pieces but still good.the hours change at these places so check yor daily planner.

The main pool was very loud and very busy.we hung out at the aft pool and always had a great time.

We tried the serenity level once and were lucky to get a hammock for 3 hours.this place fills up fast and the other cruisers can be very selfish holding seats.dog eat dog on sea days.

The casino was fun.lost money but had a lot of fun.bingo was also fun but a bit of a ripoff.the marriage show was very funny as were the comedians in the comedy room.didnt see others shows and heard mixed reviews.

Looked in on the nightclub a couple of times and everyone was having a great time.the piano bar also got high marks from other cruisers.

Beer and spirits were extremely expensive but what the heck you're on vacation.alot of people did sneak on alcohol but we didn't bother.next time I will bring on the allowance of soda and wine as they only carry coke products.

The inside cabin was far bigger that rccl and was very well cleaned twice a day.the bathroom kept flooding after 2showers which I found a little annoying.i liked the fact that when you hit the lights it went pitch black (no light whatsoever) always got a good sleep

This was our first cruise without the kids.and it was fine.but I thing rccl would be better for a family cruise.but for the price I have no complaints.

Lastly people watching was great.many many different people.shout out to gay Dutch deejays,hot tub racist brian(or as he like to call himself an equal opportunity hater) mildly retarded southern couple,hairy chest tony,Barbados (stop eating monkey)ant the many other interesting people we met.

Publication Date: 04/04/12