Carnival Dream Cruise Review by jcriner1969

Cruise Date: March 2012
Embarkation: other
Cabin Category: 6D

A Dream Cruise
This was our 1st cruise with kids (boys 11,12) and it ruined them. The kids spent most of the time swimming, mini golf, or playing chess. They had an OK time in the kids clubs but....our 11 yr old thought the activities were a to young for him, and the 12 yr old said the leaders weren't always around. They had a decent time and made some friends but the clubs could have been better.

We had a room with Bunk Beds and the extra bathtub, talk about room, it seemed twice as large as the normal room. The wife has said she will always get the bigger rooms anytime we cruise.Housecleaning did a decent job after we had a talk with them and they learned our schedule.

The food was pretty good (I gained 7 lbs ;) I ordered multiple starters every night, there was only two nights I didn't enjoy a starter, its a must to try the "DidJas". The frog legs were one of the ones i didn't like, being from the south everyone knows ya fry them, not put them in a butter sauce. My 12 yr old enjoyed the didjas when he ate with us, the kids really liked going to the buffet or eating at the kids club. The BEST breakfast are the dinning room ones, the difference in the coffee alone is worth it. If you like pasta the Pasta Bar is the place to go, it was almost as good as what I make :)

We tried the TexMex chili burger...stay away from it....NASTY! Me and the Wife got sick from it. Overall I would rate the food as an 8 outta 10,,,staff 9.

We had 4 ports but had to skip the last one in Costa Maya, ports are the only reason I cruise so I was really disappointed, and this was where we wanted to visit the Mayan ruins. They said 12' seas kept them from docking I think it was an excuse to head home early! We seemed to be running late at every port because of the seas.

We didn't book any excursions through the ship and saved $100's. This was the first time we've ever done this but it worked out great.We book 3 excursions through Island Marketing, I would recommend them, as smooth as things went.

......Cozumel we went to an All Inclusive Resort $165 and played in the pool (we're not beach people) ate lunch and had a few drinks, we caught a taxi out front $14, the port people were very helpful with this. A 7outta 10 for relaxing with no crowds and a day off the ship, would be a nice place for couples as they had an adult only area.

....Belize X-Stream Cave Tubing Excursion was AWESOME! We had a great guide Nick. Nick is very knowledgeable and spent the ride to the caves telling about Belize. He picked several plants, nuts on the hike to the river for people to try and even got the kids to try "termites". On the river he towed us through the caves and pointed out formations (mushroom/jellyfish, jaguar...)at one point we free floated to the end. This takes some work so you need to be in OK shape, my wife who needs back surgery did it but hurt afterwards (her fault).Ending the tour there was no time for photos and lunch was ate on the bus, it seemed like a rushed tour but we were late docking so I don't blame the tour. oh yes The guides were waiting for us with signs when we got off the ship and it was a very short walk to their office. a 10 outta 10 we thought

...Roatan.. Canopy Zip Line & Reef Snorkeling Tour,$350 the zip line was great, no wait what so ever and decent lines. The snorkeling ....well the reef was pretty good but our bus never showed back up and the motel owner had to get a ride back to the ship with a strange taxi.

Its not as bad as it sounds, the ride was great and the driver dropped us off at the port door. Our guide didn't speak english very well but was very nice, snorkeling was only a little ways off shore but that's where the reef was at, and we had the boat to ourselves. I would do it again, the ride around Roatan was great, its not very developed, and most of the people spoke english and were extremely nice. a 10 outta 10

As you might guess we're easily pleased. If your looking for an adventure I would recommend everything we done except Cozumel, (we shoulda went snorkeling)if you want everything to follow a plan these may not be for you.

Hope this helps and you have a great time.

Publication Date: 04/03/12