Carnival Legend Cruise Review by Bryant1: Carnival Legend March 18-25, 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Legend March 18-25, 2012

Sail Date: March 2012
Embarkation: Tampa

My husband and I sailed on the Carnival Legend March 18-25, 2012. We have been to Cozumel many times but never to Grand Cayman, Belize or Honduras, so that's why we picked this cruise. This is our 6th cruise and have sailed with Carnival before and always been pleased. The ship left from Tampa, and I must say, it was the easiest on and off process we have ever had. We drove down the day before, stayed at the Quality Inn on South Dale Mabry, who offer a cruise and park rate that includes their shuttle taking you and picking you up from the port and you can leave your car there without worries. I highly recommend this.
This was our first time on Legend and we booked it late so went with the "guaranteed balcony stateroom" which we had never done before. We were pleasantly suprised and received a nice cabin with an extended balcony toward the front of the ship. The only draw back was it was close to the children's center and ocassionally we heard kids running up and down the hall. More Also, this was our first balcony cabin, and I don't know if it happens all the time, but there was a constant wind whistling noise through our room that drove my husband crazy. The steward said it was a result of the rubber lining around the doors being old and worn and they were in the process of replacing them.
The legend is a nice ship, recently refurbished, everything worked properly, it was clean and probably the largest ship we had been on. Unfortunately, there were some negatives for us. We didn't feel the employees were as friendly or happy as they have been on other cruises. Our stateroom steward "Richard" was great and the wait staff in the dining room were okay, but it just seemed less personal this time. The food was average or below, most meals. This was a 7 day cruise, and we had 2 meals that we could say were really good. The entertainment on the ship was not very good. We did see one main show that wasn't bad and an the Adult Comedy show was very funny. It just didn't seem like there was as much going on, or things to do on this cruise than the others we have taken, and we paid more for this cruise. Our first stop was at Grand Cayman. We did the Stingray City tour, but booked it before we left with a private company, Island Marketing. It was a great time but very windy that day and the water was rough. At first I was a little hesitant about getting in the water with stingrays,but once there, the captain made it very easy and we had a blast. The next day we were in Cozumel. We were there about 3 years earlier and they have really made a nice shopping area at the port, a small beach area and there were people giving massages for $30 right there. If you go to Poncho's Backyard, be aware that their Margarita's are very strong! On the 4th day we arrived in Belize. It was cloudy with a drizzle until about noon, so we just took the tender over and checked out the port shops. I was a little disappointed because Belize was the port I was most excited to see and because of the weather we didn'tventure out. The port area is kind of "sleazy" looking but we found a nice restaurant/bar and sat an listened to a guy singing that was really good.I bought some nice "knock off" sandals and wished I had bought some purses. On the next day we were in Honduras, Roatan. I didn't expect much from this port, but it turned out to be my favorite! We woke up to lush green mountains that met the beach, unlike the rest of the Caribbean Islands we have been to that were mostly flat. The port area is new, nice,landscaped beautifully and everyone was friendly and helpful. They have a chair lift ride, called the Flying Chairs, that will take you for $12 each over to the private beach. We rode over, found lounge chairs in the shade and relaxed. The water was blue, calm and the sand was fairly white, clean, dotted with Palm trees and noisy birds. There are restrooms, restaurants, bars and music playing most of the time. It was a great end to our cruise. The two days at sea we explored the ship, sat out by the pool, played some trivia and people watched. We heard the Legend was going to Europe next year to replace the Costa Concordia that sank. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Balcony Verandah

Cabin 5121 - nice size, great balcony, okay location. Wind roared through our room the entire cruise. Need better insulation around doors to prevent the noise. I would definitely update the Televisons and find away to offer more stations

Our weather was rainy that day so we did not book an excursion. If we go back, we will either snorkel or take an island tour. I am sure it is a beautiful place, but the port area has a lot lacking.

We just hung out at the port shops and restaurants. Had a margarita with chips and salsa at Poncho's backyard! We have been to Cozumel many times, taken snorkeling trips, beach trips and shopping in town.
Read 3090 Cozumel Reviews

Stingray Swim

(5)
We took the tender over to Grand Cayman, you walk off the boat and there are multiple vendors set up in booths or tents. We found ours and after waiting for everyone to arrive we were then bused over to the boat, about a ten minute ride. The boat was a Catamaran that held about 30 people. After a saftey lesson we were on our way! It was very windy so we motored out to the Stingray Sandbar about 20 minutes away. As we approaced you could see the other boats and peopl already in the water with Stingrays. The Captain gaves us a brief description of what to do and how everyone was going to get ot hold the Stingrays. He and his crew got into the water first, found a very large female stingray, grabbed on to her and we each got into the water, circled around them and took turns holding the Stingray. It was very cool and a lot safer than I imagined. After about 45 minutes, we sailed off to the first snorkel spot. The water was very rough that day and we only stayed in it about 10 minutes and had to come out. A lot of other people managed to snorkel for 30 minutes. We then left for our 2nd and last snorkel area, which was a little more calm. There are plenty of tropical fish, an occasional turtle to see. It was a fun day and would do it again.

Beautiful place! We left the ship, took the flying chairs over to the beach an relaxed for 4 hours. As we headed back to the ship, we shopped in the nice port area! If we go back, I would love to see more of the wonderful island
Read 1644 Roatan Reviews