Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by tredsaw12: Worst vacation ever.

tredsaw12
Member Since 2012

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Bahamas Cruises

Worst vacation ever.

Sail Date: March 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

First of all, I'm a cigar smoker, and it states on their site, "you can smoke in the Cigar Bar or designated smoking lounge". Well, there is no smoking lounge and the Cigar Bar has been moved outside so if it's cold and/or windy, there's literally no place on the ship to enjoy a cigar in comfort.

Next, my 3 year old son played with the kids in the Kids Clubhouse on-board day care for 2 days and halfway through the trip he comes down with a raging fever, sinus congestion and Croup cough which lasted until a week after the trip was over.

Then, I spend a couple hours walking around Grand Bahama Island and the next day my face was covered with a disgusting red rash similar to poison ivy. This rash got considerably worse every day until the trip was over and on the same day we disembarked I checked in to my local emergency room where I live and they immediately took me in and gave me a prednisone shot and instructed me to take prednisone pills every day for 7 days. My face More was so swelled up I had to wear a hat and sunglasses the last 2 days of the trip just to avoid embarrassment, (I have pictures if you don't believe me), and the itch was worse than any poison ivy I've ever had. I don't know what caused it but I'm sure I'm not the only one as I did nothing out of the ordinary. What really upset me was that the ship's doctor could have gave me a prednisone shot/pills on board and maybe the 2nd half of my vacation wouldn't have been ruined, but after speaking with her, she said to just buy some Benadryl in the gift shop and that will help. Well, let me tell you, that did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! And if that wasn't bad enough, I caught my son's sickness and it lasted the same 10 days.

Moving on, the day we were most looking forward to was the private island, Stirrup Cay, which was supposed to take place on Tuesday. Well, that got cancelled due to rough seas and/or windy conditions. Oh, but we got a $3 refund. Really? What's that about?

One last thing, they advertise $550/person double occupancy, then when we pull out our credit cards we're charged an extra $150 roughly per person for taxes and fees. I expected something like $35 taxes and fees, like the time we sailed on the Gem. Why don't you just advertise $700 /person? The worst part is I have to pay $600 for my 3 year old son who's crammed in the same room with us and eats less than a bird and he has to pay the $84 service charge for the tips as well.

And then to top it off I was told they have a web page where I can fill out a post cruise survey, but after 10 minutes of searching I still can't find that and it appears they don't have a customer service email address either. Like they really don't care what you have to say. You'd think with the economy the way it is they'd try harder.

After the last cruise on the Gem, we were talking about doing this cruise every year. Then we got pregnant. Now my son is 3 and ready to cruise but I'm sure next year we will be looking at other cruise lines. Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel

Beach Break

(3)
The place is getting old. Nothing new since the last time we came 4 years ago just getting a bit run down. If you've never been, then definitely check it out, but no need to go back again. If you don't like paying $7 for a slice of pizza and $13 for nachos, bring something to eat with you.