Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by NativeTexanCruiser: Hawaiian Cruise was Total Disappointment

NativeTexanCruiser
Member Since 2011
1 Post

Compare Prices on Sapphire Princess Hawaii Cruises

Hawaiian Cruise was Total Disappointment

Sail Date: February 2012
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles

My dream was shattered by bad weather, poor tour guide, lousy buffet food, and returning home to a shockingly huge data bill of $530.00 just because we didn't turn off our iPhone and it received data every day while we weren't even using it!

When I think of Hawaii, I think of swimming & beaches. In the entire 14 days on ship & off, we never once put on a swimsuit. I know the cruise line can't control the weather but it was awful. The ship rocked & rolled so hard all the pools on board had to be drained as they were sloshing out! It was too cold to sit outside to watch movies on the big screen, even though the employees passed out wool blankets! The wind blew so strongly that we could not ever walk around the promenade deck! Walking in itself was difficult, especially down the long halls while the ship rocked, it would make you bounce off the walls. Due to the rough seas it took us an extra day and a half to reach Hawaii, therefore we had to skip the Big Island. More Princess did refund our tour excursion money for that port, but I was greatly disappointed!

We booked tour HNL-100 USS Arizona Memorial & City Drive in Honolulu through Princess. Our bus driver wasted time pulled over on the side of the road talking to us about what we were going to do which made us late arriving at Pearl Harbor. Not until we pulled into the parking lot did the driver tell us that there was a time stamped on our ticket and we had to be in the theater at that time or they lock the doors. He stated that he had a few that had a later time so he gave those to the slow walkers. We had about 15 minutes to find the theatre and use the toilet. The Ladies restroom had a long line so I decided I could wait until the film was over. Well, nobody explained beforehand that after the doors we entered were locked we had to exit side doors which led directly to boats that carried you across the harbor to the USS Arizona Memorial. Well by this time I was in dire need of a restroom and knew I couldn't make it there & back as there are no bathrooms out on the memorial. Sadly we missed the boat and tried to catch the next one, but again, no one explained that there are only seats for the current film goers so we were turned away. I cried because we waited our entire lives to see that memorial and had come thousands of miles and didn't get to see it. All because the bus driver messed around and got us there late!

If it is your first time to visit the Hawaiian islands I would NOT recommend cruising there and back to California. Fly there and THEN cruise around the islands or take a plane or helicopter to visit each island. Less

Read more Sapphire Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sapphire Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sapphire Princess Mini-Suite with Balcony Dolphin

Poor configuration of bathroom door opening in front of clothes closet as we kept banging into each other. Not enough drawer space, but did have open shelves in dressing area, under the bathroom sink and around bar & tv area. Due to the rough seas I would have felt better with a walk-in shower instead of a high sided tub as I almost fell several times getting in or out of the tub while the ship was rocking. The tub should also have a non-slip bottom which it did not, so I had to hold onto the handicap bar with one hand and try to shampoo with the other hand which was almost impossible but I didn't dare let go of the bar!

We arrived at 4pm greeted by dozens of sea lions lying on the shore, needless to say it was smelly disembarking. Then we had to wait in long, disorganized lines (more like people shoving & running up to buses) to board the shuttle buses which took you to the market area. They charged $3 going & $2 returning. It was a small town in Mexico so if you've ever visited Mexico..there's not much to say. We did not feel comfortable being off the ship as darkness fell. We hurried back on board after having one cerveza with nachos at a bar run by an American! We laughed at that, but felt safer! We did no shopping.
Read 252 Ensenada Reviews

Pearl Harbor

(1)
Bus driver didn't give us enough time to walk to the theater and have time to use the restrooms beforehand...so we missed our ride across the harbor to visit the USS Arizona Memorial. Tried to catch the next ride but were turned away by the operators. Poor communication beforehand explaining exactly how all this works on a time schedule in which there is no flexibility. HUGELY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Kipu Ranch ATV Tour

(4)
It was not a tour of the workings of a cattle ranch as we had hoped, but rather just a tour of scenery which was awesome! The young guide told us we had to drive fast or we'd lose him and get lost ourselves, so the driver did not get to look around too much as some of the trails were harrowing. He did stop and point out where several movies were filmed and gave us a cold drink & cookies. It had recently rained so our clothes were splattered with red mud which did not come out in the wash. We could not get a taxi to return to take us back to the ship, so our young guide graciously drove us back in his own truck! We really appreciated that and tipped him well.

Whale Watching

(5)
As the whales migrate to the warm waters to give birth & mate, there was an abundance of whales! You could easily see them all around the ship and if we had known that, we could have saved our money...but we still enjoyed it!