Hot on the Forums: Where’s My Bedtime Chocolate?

August 22, 2014 | By | 14 Comments

Piece of chocolate on pillow
I think we all agree there’s never any danger of going hungry on a cruise ship; yet it seems there are some metaphorical tears on the pillow following reports of a shortage or total demise of bedtime chocolates – and it’s prompted quite a debate on the forums.
However much I’ve already eaten, if I spot a sweet treat in my cabin I’ll consume it, even though the notion of eating chocolate immediately before bedtime at home is an alien concept (even for me). And I admit to feeling short changed if there’s a little poem or profound philosophical ditty on my pillow instead.
So it’s no surprise that Cruise Critic member cruisestitch triggered a lengthy thread on the Celebrity forum after posting: “Bedtime chocolates gone! Now really, Celebrity. You have to cut corners so close that there aren’t any pennies per night for pieces of chocolate?”

CruisingChick sympathizes and says it’s one more thing from the “old days of cruising” that has joined dinosaurs and become extinct.
“I saved them for the next day and ate them after lunch which is my favorite time to have a chocolate,” she adds.
It seems the chocolate fairy can be fickle. Some members confirm nocturnal chocolate sightings onboard Celebrity Silhouette and Reflection, while others relate tales of chocolates one night out of seven on Summit and all the first week with nothing on the second on Millennium. Sometimes, it seems, you just have to ask.
“On our last three Celebrity sailings there were no chocolates until we mentioned it, and then they appeared every night,” advises richsea. “I do love having them on the pillow every night, and usually eat my wife’s also.”
The thing that surprised me most is how strong-willed some of you are. Around half the members on the thread said they left the chocolates behind, saved them to eat at home or gave them to their children or work colleagues.
Of course, a peril of not eating them is the risk of sticky accidents, and several members have woken up with melted chocolate on their face, in their hair and embarrassingly smeared over the bedclothes.
On a practical note, cruisingator2 points out that when RCI put a stop to bedtime chocolates in all cabins bar suites, the line issued a statement saying that due to public health rules all unwanted chocolates had to be thrown away, which added up to a whopping total of 17.5 tons of chocolate covered by 780,000 square feet of foil being discarded each year.
So is cutting back on chocolate a penny-pinching exercise or a sensible eco-friendly decision to reduce waste (and maybe even waistlines). What do you think?
Read all about Celebrity Cruises.
Make your own Carnival warm chocolate melting cake.

Comments

14 Responses to “Hot on the Forums: Where’s My Bedtime Chocolate?”

1. Bette
      August 22nd, 2014 @ 2:02 pm

None on infinity this year – I was disappointed which is a bit perverse as I didn’t really like the chocolate! My husband usually ate both. It’s just another cut back – have seen a few in the time I have been cruising – remember the midnight buffets!!

2. Ken Martin
      August 23rd, 2014 @ 2:41 pm

I just took my extras home! A great reminder of the “papmering” one gets from your room steward on a cruise

3. jean walsh
      August 23rd, 2014 @ 2:43 pm

none on marco polo and no food after dinner except appalling snacks around the bars if you were diabetic it was a long time between first dinner and breakfast in the morning

4. Vicki Lakamp
      August 23rd, 2014 @ 2:51 pm

Sailed aboard Celebrity Solistice in mid-July and found chocolates on the pillow 1 out of 7 nights. :(

Very happy with the cruise otherwise.

5. Gun Berg
      August 23rd, 2014 @ 2:58 pm

So yesterday :-)

6. lunchlady
      August 23rd, 2014 @ 3:02 pm

If so much truly goes to waste I can understand the cutbacks…it’s a nice touch, but, really, it’s not a big reason why we cruise! I think a sensible solution is for the cabin steward to ask at embarkation, then the chocolate is only given to those who want it.

7. Betty Gilmore
      August 23rd, 2014 @ 3:08 pm

I have no experience with Celebrity, but Holland and Princess still leave chocolates. It was even noted in the cabin description on the tour we are taking in Oct. I try to avoid Chocolate at home so it is a double treat as part of my vacation. I used to bring them home to the kids but they grew up and so I can eat them myself without a guilty feeling at all.

8. Barbara
      August 23rd, 2014 @ 3:27 pm

We just returned from a 2 week cruise on Holland America and there were chocolates on our pillow every night!

9. Kathy
      August 23rd, 2014 @ 5:49 pm

Just returned on Sunday off of the Allure of the Seas, and they also stopped the chocolates. I looked forward to them, as I would also save them for after lunch, when I really enjoyed eating the chocolate. It was a nice little touch that cruise ships offered. As the price of a cruise keeps rising, it would be nice if they still did something like that. Little things do mean a lot. I miss that.

10. Jackie
      August 23rd, 2014 @ 6:04 pm

I was recently on Ryndam Holland America and had a chocolate every night

11. cheryl corwin
      August 23rd, 2014 @ 6:10 pm

Carnival still gives them nightly, although the quality of the chocolate has gone down. I save them and bring them home and its always nice to find a souvenir in my purse.

12. ALAN
      August 23rd, 2014 @ 10:16 pm

We got the chocs every night on Carnival Spirit but on P&O Pacific Pearl just the one night out of 4 nights, suppose it is another cost cutting factor.

13. Joe
      August 25th, 2014 @ 12:31 pm

Got chocs every night of a 12 day Med cruise on Celebrity Equinox in May. My wife loved them and supplemented them with complimentary ones from Bistro on Five.

14. Jim Baker
      August 25th, 2014 @ 2:12 pm

Sometimes it is the extra little perks, like the chocs on the pillow at bedtime, that make my day on a cruise. I also don’t like to see things on the main dining room menu that you have to pay extra for. I would rather go to a specialty dining room and maintain the MDR tradition of quality and inclusiveness in the price of the cruise.