Hot on the Forums: How Do You Like Your Bacon?

May 23, 2014 | By | 7 Comments

English bacon
English bacon
There’s a tasty debate sizzling away on the Cruise Critic forum but for once, it’s not about single supplements. Or whether Britain should leave the EU. Not even dress codes on formal night. The topic of the moment? Bacon.
The discussion all began when member CrusinCaren moaned that bacon had been served ‘raw’ on a recent MSC cruise. The reality is, it was probably just not served frazzled, American-style; raw pork would be seriously contravening health and safety regulations and in any event, this particular member had not enjoyed much about MSC. The bacon was the tip of the iceberg, as it were.
If you’re a Brit (which I am), or Antipodean, or even Canadian, the ensuing discussion goes, bacon should be nicely grilled but you should still be able to bend it and cut off the fat if you’re even a tiny bit concerned about your health. It should fit into a sandwich that oozes ketchup (or brown sauce if you’re so inclined). It shouldn’t snap or crumble when you bite into the sandwich. It certainly shouldn’t be dark brown and crunchy.
American bacon
American bacon
If you’re American, bacon, it seems, should be the opposite; what we Brits would see as sad little strips of unrecognizable burnt stuff, disintegrating (or worse, flying across the breakfast table) when you spear it with your fork. You can’t tell the fat from the meat as it’s all cremated anyway so you just down the lot. Hello cholesterol!
I might add here that MSC is an Italian-owned cruise line, and what do Italians know about cooking bacon for breakfast in any case? But as it often the case in these inter-cultural debates, the issue isn’t really the bacon. The bacon is only a metaphor. The real question is, when traveling outside your own country, should you demand the same standards (bacon) as you have at home, or should you accept that things might be a bit different?
The thread remains good-natured, so bear in mind member Legion3 (American) is being tongue-in-cheek when saying: “So you guys don’t tip much if any and resent it while traveling here but we just have to have open minds when eating your raw bacon?”
While Out_to_Sea! (also American) adds: “When Americans are in other countries and don’t follow the social norms there, they are considered ‘Ugly Americans’. Yet when others come to America and don’t follow our social norms (or bitch about it while doing so) they rationalize it because our ways are wrong (in their eyes).”
Food for thought! And now, on to the next topic: Why can’t Americans make a decent cup of tea? Discuss.

Comments

7 Responses to “Hot on the Forums: How Do You Like Your Bacon?”

1. Doug Heaton
      May 23rd, 2014 @ 7:42 pm

A good cup of tea has several requirements:
      1. Good whole hand picked tea leaves, preferably Darjeeling;
      2. No tea bags filled with tea leaf dust, floor sweepings, stalks and other detritus;
      3. Pure water without chlorine and other additions;
      4. Water boiling at 100oC (212oF.) This can only achieved at sea level which fortunately is a given on a cruise;
      5. Steep for only two minutes to avoid bitterness. Use more tea leaves if a stronger brew is desired;
      6. Some misguided purists insist on adding milk and lots of sugar. This is not necessary.

2. Dawn Miller
      May 23rd, 2014 @ 8:21 pm

I may be American but I love my bacon floppy. I hate, hate, hate crispy, crunchy bacon. Also, it needs to be thick cut.

3. Crusing Kangaroo
      May 24th, 2014 @ 7:28 am

Tea comes in a tall glass with ice and lemon.

4. Marygrace
      May 24th, 2014 @ 1:06 pm

While sailing several times on Enchatment of the seas, we were pleased that the bacon served in the windjammer was cooked well. However, our new favorite ship Grandeur of the seas does not cook their bacon enough. You have to pick through to find a few slices that are cooked enough. While sailing in the winter on Explorer, we found the same to be true. Bacon should be well cooked, not burned, perhaps crispy, to be completely enjoyable and edible.

5. keeponcruisin48
      May 29th, 2014 @ 5:26 pm

OMG, that photo at the top of the ‘full English’ (breakfast)had me drooling! Going to the UK soon so will be able to indulge! But back to the bacon – I’m a Brit too so it goes without saying what type I like,although I do live in the US. But we can get English bacon here, or in a pinch, Canadian. When I sailed with MSC recently their bacon was disgusting – little pieces, literally swimming in grease. Wouldn’t touch it with the proverbial 10 foot pole. Celebrity serve both American and English bacon very successfully, so that’s what I think all lines should do – there are Brits and Americans on pretty much all ships these days (plus many other nations of course) but as this forum is about bacon, that’s my humble opinion.

6. Teresa Gastfield
      May 29th, 2014 @ 5:48 pm

I like my bacon well cooked and crispy. I cannot handle the bacon I find on the cruise ships as it is half raw. Maybe they need to start cooking both types as everyone has different opinions of what they like.

7. mary wilson
      May 30th, 2014 @ 6:32 am

I’m Australian and the first thing I go for on cruises is AMERICAN BACON just love it and have tried to do it at home but never get it right — the last couple of ships we’ve been on Princess and Celebrity and I think RCCL as well have all served both kinds – and Canadian as well -just wish they could get the TOAST right!!