Hot on the Forums: Cruise Critic to the Rescue

January 15, 2014 | By | 9 Comments

Talk about a lifeline: When Cruise Critic member Wehwalt found himself locked out on the balcony of his Ruby Princess bow cabin, he had no one to call.
Shouting did no good, nor did pounding on the partitions that separated him from his neighbors. He even stepped over his balcony railing onto a public open deck, but found no help or emergency phone. Doors were locked and the wind was picking up.
Luckily, he had his laptop with him on his balcony – and an Internet package. So he posted a distress signal on Cruise Critic:
“Sorry about this but either my cabin attendant locked my balcony door when he turned down my cabin or its stuck but I’m in L107 and can’t attract a response by shouting,” he wrote. “I’m not in any distress, but would like to be let in. Thanks all. Sorry to be a bother. Will stay online.”
A phalanx of fellow forum members came to his aide. Shootingstar07 got on the phone with “Joanne” at Princess, who thought the call might be a hoax until she read the thread for herself. Other members sent emails to Princess, while others simply tried to keep Wehwalt’s spirits up while he waited.
“Will stay with you until you are rescued, which should be soon if they are contacting the ship. Hang tight, all will be fine!” bronxgirl wrote.
The thread quickly attracted more Cruise Critic readers, who expressed their own fears about being trapped on balconies. “Maybe we should add an air horn to our packing list!” wrote 5326jan. “Hang part of the furniture over the balcony (and be sure to hold it,” suggested Loonbeam. “Their camera scans will see it eventually.”
In the end, Wehwalt was able to get out on his own by attracting the attention of someone on the bridge, who sent down security. His rescue inspired “huzzahs” from members, who noted the incident brought out the best in community spirit.
“Amazing what can be done in the year of 2014, via the internet, and Cruise Critic members reaching out to Princess, to make sure that one of our own, who is in distress,” nubrrick posted. “Being locked out from your cabin is a very stressful situation, so my heart goes out to everyone that headed his call, and what a great story to tell over cocktails!”
“Cruise Critic rocks! Where else can you find so many strangers willing to help you?” added CruisingJs.
We agree.

Comments

9 Responses to “Hot on the Forums: Cruise Critic to the Rescue”

1. Geno
      January 15th, 2014 @ 3:40 pm

I was on the Ruby on Jan. 4 to the 8th and had the same issue with he balcony door. Luckily I didn’t get locked out but really had a problem with the door. I was in R605.

2. gabriel
      January 15th, 2014 @ 4:02 pm

the balcony that i knew usually has a small door in conection with the next right balcony. sometimes it may help

3. TBone2K
      January 15th, 2014 @ 4:02 pm

Glad it worked out, but I’m surprised that going through customer care didn’t work faster. They must know how to contact the ship?

4. Terry Mercer
      January 15th, 2014 @ 4:03 pm

Now I am worried. I am going on the Ruby Princess this Saturday and I am in Cabin R605. Geno, do you happen to have any pictures of the cabin? What was the issue with the door?

5. Linda Bergeon
      January 15th, 2014 @ 5:26 pm

We were having an anniversary dinner on or balcony. The cruise allowed only 2 rooms to be served on the balcony/night. Our waiter served us dessert and asked if there was anything else and we said no. so he closed our sliding door and left. when we were done eating, we got up to go inside and the door was locked. There was no one on their balcony. we had no phone. Finally, several floors down someone came out and we yelled at them for help. at first they thought we were joking. then when they realized we weren’t they asked what room. we didn’t remember our room no. as the keys were in the room. we told them to call room service and ask what 2 rooms were being served and process by deduction, they eventually found us. we still laugh about it!

6. Lady_Cruiser
      January 15th, 2014 @ 5:49 pm

When we had a corner AFT on the Carnival Magic several years ago, I was so paranoid that we would be locked out that I kept the drapes fully open knowing our cabin attendant would close them at night. But I also taped a large note to the door saying to check the balcony every night to make sure we were not around the corner. And in caps I said “we do not want to be locked out.” When we saw our attendant the night the note went up he assured us that he would check the balcony every night. It might be a good idea to tell your attendant to check your balcony every time they come in.

7. Dan Pincus
      January 15th, 2014 @ 7:31 pm

All he had to do was light up a cigarette, somebody would have called in a complaint. When security came to investigate they would have let him in.

8. Lsimon
      January 16th, 2014 @ 2:08 pm

On cruises where we’ve been concerned about the veranda door sliding shut we’ve left a towel across the threshold to keep it from shutting completely.

9. Wehwalt
      January 17th, 2014 @ 12:06 pm

Hi, this is he, still on the Ruby. It is a forward corner balcony and it is very windy indeed. I had trouble opening it FROM THE INSIDE this morning and when I pushed the right side of the door (the handle is on the left), that did the trick. There’s obviously an issue with the door staying on its track they might want to look at on turnaround day … I will mention it to my cabin attendant. Anyway, they reimbursed me for the internet (which was all I asked) and the Ultimate Ship’s Tour is being run today after two straight times it wasn’t, so I’m happy. Thanks to all for the good wishes!