Poll Position: Cruise Line Private Islands

December 23, 2013 | By | 8 Comments

cruise-line-private-island
If you’ve been to a cruise line’s private island, you know it’s a far cry from your typical Caribbean port (and even those less visited)….
There are no cobblestone streets reminiscent of Old San Juan, planes soaring over beaches as you’d see in St. Maarten or resorts and chain restaurants dotting the coastline. Instead, passengers embrace the perks of slow-paced island life simply by beach bumming, indulging in barbecue lunches provided by the ship’s crew or through excursions custom-designed by the cruise line.
Some cruisers prefer private islands over mainstream Caribbean ports, while others like a little bit of both. So, we’re curious: What do you like most about private islands?
What we asked: My favorite thing about cruise line private islands is ___.
What they said: More than half (54.07 percent) of our poll-takers admitted exclusivity is the most attractive feature. Others were split between security and the activities offered, and about a quarter (25.77 percent) say they’d rather stay onboard.
If you’re in the majority who enjoy the slow-paced island life now and then, tell us what you like most about them.
cruise-line-private-island
Vote in today’s daily poll by scrolling to the bottom right.
Learn about 6 Cruise Line Private Islands

Comments

8 Responses to “Poll Position: Cruise Line Private Islands”

1. Bob Shaffer
      December 23rd, 2013 @ 12:43 pm

With good weather, a private island port is a great beach day, especially when you reserve a private cabana.

2. uavshadow
      December 26th, 2013 @ 1:15 pm

I would like a short cruise to be just a private island(s) and the ship.

Trade the cost of cruising (fuel, port fees etc) for more and better entertainment on and off the ship and a sunny day guarantee.

3. Debbie
      December 26th, 2013 @ 2:41 pm

I love the private islands because there are tons of activities and nobody is trying to sell you stuff while you are sitting at the beach. My favorite island is Castaway Cay. Adults and kids are miles apart.

I like Labadee but hate the rude craft vendors who bug you on the way to the beach.

4. Jean-Guy Jobin
      December 26th, 2013 @ 3:39 pm

After seeing it once, I prefer to
      stay on the ship.

5. sandi
      December 26th, 2013 @ 8:44 pm

So far after over 20 or more cruises…I like Disney’s private island the best

6. Eugenia
      December 27th, 2013 @ 5:37 am

My husband and I cruise about twice a year and we both agree that although private islands are nice the exclusivety that we see in private areas create a class system where even the types of food served was different. We even noticed that the Cruise Director preferred eating at the private areas rather than mingle and eat in the common areas.

7. Donna
      December 27th, 2013 @ 10:03 am

I liked Labadee but I really only wanted to do the zip line there. Walking around after I found the vendors; though not offensive, were just simply annoying.

As a first time cruiser we were more interested in all the activities. Next time we will do it differently. More exploring. A private island would not be a must.

8. Jill
      December 28th, 2013 @ 7:52 am

We have cruised Royal Caribbean since 2008 and have watched Labadee grow and become nicer each year. On a 7 day cruise, I think it is a great alternative port. Lounge chair, white sand, beautiful water – lunch included – in other ports you would pay 50-100 dollars each to enjoy the same amenities and all you need to do is walk for about 10 minutes to get to the beach – no hot buses or crazy taxi drivers.

Their vendors are very pushy (so are other ports) and I think the cost of the zipline, water park, and slide is too high – but you don’t need to spend any extra money if you don’t want to.

I enjoy seeing the different ports – but this is the relaxing stop.