Slideshow: Have You Been Naughty or Nice on Your Cruise?

December 19, 2013 | By | 107 Comments

cruise-naughty-nice-santa-christmas-holiday
The Cruise Critic editors are making a list and checking it twice; we want to find out who’s been naughty or nice on their cruise vacations. We all love to complain about our least favorite shipmates — the chair hogs, the queue jumpers, the arrogant types who give the crew a hard time — but we also wanted to share some heartwarming tales of cruise vacationers and staff members going above and beyond to make someone else’s day.
We canvassed our editorial team, as well as our members and Facebook fans, and have culled the naughtiest and nicest stories for your fireside reading pleasure. If you’ve got more stories to share, you can do so on our message boards.
This holiday season, we’ll know if you’ve been bad or good … so be good for goodness’ (and your shipmates’) sake! Happy holidays!
Everything You Need to Know About Holiday Cruises
5 Things to Know About European Christmas Markets
Cruise Deals

Comments

107 Responses to “Slideshow: Have You Been Naughty or Nice on Your Cruise?”

1. Chris
      December 20th, 2013 @ 2:46 pm

My wife and I always cruise in a penthouse or an owner’s suite so we run into some interesting people that think they are the only ones that matter. We go out of our way to make sure the staff knows how much we appreicate them. They take care of us and anticipate our needs. We hear others complain and we make up for them with a kind word or an extra tip. I will never forget as we were getting ready to leave the ship in New York, we had prority disembarkation. A couple had two spoiled children with them that were allowed to do whatever they wanted. As we left, we walked infront of a long line of people waiting to get off of the ship. This jerk said to his kids, “You see that line over there? That’s why we pay more money, so we don’t have to wait with people like them.” My jaw dropped and I had to say something. I humiliated him in front of his family and that line of fine people and received cheers and applause. Money does not give you the right to treat people like garbage. We are literally all on the same boat. I worked hard for every penny I have and respect every person on that ship from the guy cleaning out the trashcans up to the captain as well as every passenger that paid good money to be there.

2. John
      December 26th, 2013 @ 1:15 pm

Would have been a much nicer story if you told us that you spoke privately with the man instead of “humiliating” him in front of his children and wife. I wouldn’t be proud to admit that I was just as much a jerk as the person I am criticising

3. heavyjuice
      December 26th, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

Good for you, Chris. Oh, how the world (wealthy and non-wealthy) needs your attitude and approach to dealing with your fellow man. I hope you humiliated that pompous buffoon but good.

4. Joan Cane
      December 26th, 2013 @ 1:21 pm

My husband and I have only been on one cruise. with Royal Caribbean The Explorer of the Seas in 2007. It was the best holiday ever and we are saving hard to try and go again Oct 2014.
      Anyway ALL the staff were absolutely fantastic. We also had the family from hell on our cruise but no matter how awful they were the staff were not ruffled they were great. It must be a dedication to work on these cruises. I wish I had their patience .

5. paul lafleur
      December 26th, 2013 @ 1:28 pm

unfortunately you will see this, and its not jus americans who are capable of this behavior.

6. Paul Hinds
      December 26th, 2013 @ 1:38 pm

Chris might have not been the nicest saying something in public to the creep but I am glad he did. Most ‘entitlement’ types never get the picture unless someone does to them what they do to others.

7. Sylvia
      December 26th, 2013 @ 1:41 pm

Good for you Chris. I can’t make up my mind whether to agree or disagree with John. On one hand yes, probably take that idiot aside but then even if you told him privately he probably could care less. Maybe a bit of embarrassment in front the public might have helped. I don’t know. BUT one thing is you’ll know how those kids will be like when they grow up (unless they themselves change their attitude seeing what’s right and wrong and be more of mature adults than their father)

8. Laurie Lawrence
      December 26th, 2013 @ 1:43 pm

I think correcting him in public was the correct approach. In private your recommendations and comments would have fallen on deaf ears that probably felt ‘you just don’t understand’, however having public reaction can strengthen the message (unless he considered you ‘one of them’) It would have been stronger if the cheers came from those he may have considered ‘peers.’ Hope you had a great trip.

9. Mike Crognale
      December 26th, 2013 @ 1:44 pm

Our cruise wasn’t the family from hell. It was the cruise from hell. Holland America Maasdam. EVERYBODY SMOKED. There were only two places on the ship that smoking wasn’t allowed, Lido and main dining. And then we had to walk through smoke filled areas to get there. Even the promenade deck had people walking along smoking cigarettes, cigars and pipes. Wife and I are deathly allergic to tobacco smoke so we spent almost the entire cruise in our economy class room watching the same 4 movies on the ship’s TV. Never again.

10. Bob
      December 26th, 2013 @ 1:49 pm

I normally cruise 5 – 6 times a year. Have been on many cruise lines and many cruise ships. I am always amazed thru all of them the crew is always so kind, upbeat, wishes you a good day when maybe it’s not their best day, etc. They just never have a negative attitude that is ever displayed.

I try and ask those who serve me on a daily basis where they are from if it’s not on their name badge. Ask if they have family and so many times they reach into their pocket and pull out a picture or two to show you. They have the same beaming smile any of us have as we show off family. Do this with a geniune interest and that they just love. I find so many times the conversation goes a long time when they are talking about their family but that is fine that is how I would be too.

I think tips are great to crew but I also think having a genuine interest in them and taking the time out of what might be a rush to the sun deck to hear about their faimily means so much to them.

Just showing mutual respect goes a long way. They show it daily to us but all too often we as passengers forget to display it back to them as well.

11. Bobmac
      December 26th, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

It would appear to me that the cruise lines should attach a parking like meter to deck chairs, if after a certain pre ordained time , no shows up the time expires and the chair becomes available regardless of whatever is on it.Just a thought!

12. Scott
      December 26th, 2013 @ 1:56 pm

My shout out to the Cruise Crew on the Epic (April 2012) and especially the Cruise Director Papachoulo (SP?)and the assistant Cruise director who set up the dinners for the solo travelers. We cruised the eastern Carribean, and the day of the last stop, Nassau, the were giving a line dance class when the ship pulled into port. Everyone left immediately for their excursions, except me (52 at the time) and a couple of tweny something ladies who stayed to finish the class. It started raining and they left too. The DJ stayed though, and he played everything that I requested if he had it. So for an hour I had the rain slick dance floor, and the DJ to myself. VERY NICE!
      A fellow solo cruiser took a picture and posted it one her website and I copied it to my hard drive. After telling that story to a friend, and showing the picture, I got a frame from them that says, “Those who think only sunshine brings happiness have never danced in the rain”. I have that picture in that frame, and that is by far my best cruise memory.

Scott

13. Bob E.
      December 26th, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

We just returned from a Caribbean cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale with some of the rudest and crudest people we have ever seen on a ship. There were more fights – verbal and physical – than I have ever encountered, and the ship’s security agreed. Everyone wanted to be first in line everywhere, and no one would give an inch. The people to whom I am referring were all in their 70s, 80s, and even 90s!!! You would think that they would be able to act like adults at that age.

14. Ed Weessies
      December 26th, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

On our very first cruise, one of our friends and I went to the casino (a Princess cruise) just as it opened. We sat acroos from each other at the “Let It Ride” table. The dealer (a Canadian lady) was very helpful as it was my first time playing the game. Shortly a man who appeared to be intoxicated joined the game and proceeded to harrass the dealer. I began to sway back and forth noting it seemed to be a bit rough. My friend did the same as did the dealer. The “gentleman” started getting a bit queezy” and said he thought he had better go to his stateroom. Never saw him again. The dealer as well others and pit bosses were our friends after that. By the way. The seas were calm.

15. Marcus
      December 26th, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

Good for you Chris! You embarrassed him just like he did to everyone else. 99.9% of the upper class are great people. You will always run into the other .1% at times, they are out there.

16. Betty B
      December 26th, 2013 @ 2:09 pm

Mike, don’t let that one experience sour you. My husband and I have been on 75 cruises over the past 30 years and it is wonderful to see how many of the cruise lines have switched to no smoking except in designated areas, which are usually the casino and a special lounge for smokers. They even have ‘no smoking’ days in the casino. My beef is always with the parents who take their toddlers to the enclosed pool and let them scream their heads off with no regard for the ‘older’ passengers who would like it a little quieter. No Jumping signs are ignored! Hats off to Celebrity Cruise Line who doesn’t allow children under 16 in their enclosed pool.

17. Jack
      December 26th, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

I worry a little bit when I see how much someone enjoys humiliating another person in front of their family. Yes, the man deserved to be spoken to – or corrected – or shown how his comments might cause his children to disrespect others and how his comment might cause his kids to not value other people …BUT Chris seems to have enjoyed himself a little too much – even to brag that other people applauded him ……a little too self-righteous perhaps ……At some time in our life we have ALL been jerks and maybe we should remember that instead of being so happy to loudly center a guy out in front of his kids.

18. NYCBeach
      December 26th, 2013 @ 2:14 pm

If these ‘naughties’ don’t turn you off cruising, what would? Selfish, miserable people who manage to ruin everyone else’s experience are the bain of many a resort. The difference here is that there’s virtually no way of getting away from them.

19. Athena Gliddon
      December 26th, 2013 @ 2:21 pm

Mike, that sounds like a completely different ship from the Maasdam I was on in September. There were only two public places where smoking was allowed…on one side of the outdoor pool (six tables) and in half of the casino. Many of the smokers get balcony cabins so that they have a place to smoke because there aren’t very many places where it is allowed.

20. Sophocles
      December 26th, 2013 @ 2:24 pm

I recently observed that Holland America does not uniformly enforce the printed smoking restrictions, unlike Princess and Celebrity which do. I asked at the ‘Front Desk’ and was told that on each ship the Hotel Manager decides whether to enforce the restrictions.

21. PD
      December 26th, 2013 @ 2:29 pm

This is an incident that occurred about 4-5 years ago. My wife and I were on a 21 day cruise in the Caribbean and we had two gentlemen and there wives sitting with us at our table for dinner. They were friends and they both wore Wrangler jeans at dinner. My wife and I didn’t care what they were wearing but some old bitty sitting at a table across from us complained to the Head Waiter about the two gentlemen that were “ruining her dining experience” by wearing jeans to dinner (not even a formal night) The Head Waiter asked the gentlemen to please not wear jeans into the dinning room as other guests were offended. They both agreed not to come into the dinning room wearing jeans. One of the gentlemen, after dinner, went to the Purser’s office and cancelled all of their gratuities to the dinning staff, advising them that since he only brought jeans and was no longer allowed in the dinning room that he would tip the dinning personnel that he chose. The second gentleman arrived at dinner the next night wearing what I would call “clown pants”. His pants were a bright flourescent yellow with red balls, blue stars and green triangles on them. You could see him coming from the other end of the ship. Well, on the third night both of the gentlemen were reseated back at our table and both were wearing their Wranglers. The offended party was moved to another location in the dinning room so that her “dinning experience” would no longer be ruined. Now, if I can just find where to get some of those “clown pants”! :-)

22. Jim
      December 26th, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

I have been on several cruises since 1959. My family has always treated crewmembers with great respect including asking about their lives and family. They in turn remember our names and our likes and dislikes at meals and more. That increases our cruise enjoyment and our tips.

23. Mark
      December 26th, 2013 @ 2:48 pm

My wife & I went on our first cruise shortly after my mother had passed away & although her passing was sudden, she had always told us to cruise the seas as it was the best way my parents saw the world.
      During our cruise, I happened to have a chat with one of the Officers on the ship & during our conversation, I happened to let him know that I was a Reserve Officer & that we were taking this cruise in memory of my mom.
      The day before disembarkation, the Officer knocked on my door & asked my wife & I if we could join him; he brought us to the Chapel where the ships Captain & many of the Ships Officers were present. The Captain gave a brief service in the name of my mother. I will never forget this kind gesture from total strangers but who share the bond of the uniform.
      NCL will always hold a special place for my wife & I.

24. Sande
      December 26th, 2013 @ 2:56 pm

Smoking on the balconies of guest rooms is not at all appreciated by nonsmoking balcony guests nearby!! After paying extra to enjoy that space, it is more than annoying to have limited time to enjoy it, hoping to find smokefree air if one is lucky! The balcony of a guest room should NOT be a place to smoke!!

25. Bajagirl
      December 26th, 2013 @ 3:06 pm

I cruise exclusively on Celebrity and always have a fabulous time. I’m not usually interested in pool loungers, but one day I was having breakfast at the aqua spa table and chair. Adjacent to me were two loungers with caps, books, etc. I sat in my upright chair for 45 minutes while the loungers stayed empty. I have no idea how long they might have been empty before I arrived.

Celebrity posts in the daily program that these loungers can only be held for 15 minutes, please be polite, etc. So, at 45 minutes I lifted a cap and book, put them on a table and settled into the more comfortable lounger.

15 minutes the “owners” showed up. “Excuse me, you are in one of our chairs!” “Well, no, actually no one is allowed to hold an empty chair for more than 15 minutes and you’ve been gone over 45.” I smiled and returned to my book. The lady actually said “SOME people clearly think they are entitled!” Well, yeah!

She stewed a while, got up and went to a phone and called Guest Relations. A crew member came up and I watched her vent to him. When I pointed out how long the loungers had been empty, he told her he was very sorry but it’s not possible to leave a chair for so long. She continued to sputter and vent.

I started to feel sorry for HIM, so I said, “You know, we’re all on vacation here, and I’m not here to upset anyone, so if it’s that important to you, I’ll find somewhere else to sit. The chair is yours.” She looked stunned. The crew member kept saying, “thank you so much, can I help you find another seat?”
      “No, thanks, there are dozens of beautiful places to sit on this beautiful ship and I’m going to find one.” My hope was that they wouldn’t do it again, but, who knows!?

26. Jim
      December 26th, 2013 @ 3:12 pm

Was on a NCL trip. An elderly PUSHY lady in a scooter regularly could be seen using it as a way to move through lines, taking advantage of people. Well, she did it ONCE too often on the Thursday chocolate buffet and met her match. This guy unloaded on her. Was he over the top? Yes. Did she have it coming? Yes, too. Sad she needed to be berated and mistreated by a fellow passenger, but her scooter was not some special cut in line tool. But, she used it that way so much that you only felt a little sorry for her receiving boorish treatment. Sad moment on a great trip.

27. Gary
      December 26th, 2013 @ 3:13 pm

They say two wrongs don’t make a right…but in this case, I’d say an exception should be made. The fact is that I can forgive Chris, but find it much harder to forgive the “jerk”.

28. Rob
      December 26th, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

I’m still amazed after all the years the amount of Pool Chair Hogs that are still roaming about! You know the ones … they leave books, hats, towels and every other imaginable item on those pool chairs for hours without ever using them!
      Naughty people! :(

29. Jerico
      December 26th, 2013 @ 3:40 pm

carnival cruise to Cozumel and Caymans out of Tampa 07/2012. Rudist, drunk filled ship ever. Will never cruise Carnival again.

30. drrichard
      December 26th, 2013 @ 3:43 pm

Of course you can’t do much with the odd unpleasant person who can show up anywhere, but part of the way to avoid an unfortunate experience is to understand that not all cruise lines are the same. If you want to party on board then the big ships in the Caribbean are likely to be best–but if noise, a youngish crowd and (all too frequently) general ignorance about the ports is an environment that turns you off, then these are the wrong boats for you.

Personally I like Windstar. More expensive, and not many on-board activities, but it has small ships that go into little ports and assumes that the passengers are interested in the local history and culture. Cunard can be stuffy by American standards, but has an older crowd is quieter with good on-board activities, and gives fine service. So know what you buying and, if the group doesn’t match your desires, just go with it. Cruising is always fun, and you don’t have to follow the crowd on shore.

31. Helen
      December 26th, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Never done what l called an Adult cruise. only a Disney trip,and would now like to do a 2 wk crusie now after reading the above comments l am now concerned that it is going to be of rude pompus travelers

32. Diamond
      December 26th, 2013 @ 3:52 pm

Live and let live!

33. Bob F. Butler
      December 26th, 2013 @ 4:14 pm

My wife and I have been cruising for over 20 years with about 50 cruises. We have selected Royal Caribbean as the cruise line that fits our vacation routine and have only cruised with them for the last 15 years. As of late we have been charged dailey $24.00 dollars which is the gratuity for the various ships crew. To me this is unreasonable as it leaves us no choice as to who we should tip and how much we should tip. We always are generous wityh our tips to the service people who deserve them. Most do and we always tip them. Our isse is the fact that now we must tip everyone the same amount. This we do not want to do! We do not want to have the cruise line dicgtating to us and forcing us to tip everyone and charging us #24.00 per day.We did complain but it fell on deaf ears within the Royal Carribbean bureaucracy. We want our freedom of choice returned to us…what do other people think about Royal caribbean forcing people to tip all emplyees at a rate that Royal Caribbean sets? We do not like it and we are no longer going to cruise with any line that forces this upon us. We will just fly to the Islands and stay on an Island rather than a cruise ship thjat has taken away our freedom of choice.

34. DaveD
      December 26th, 2013 @ 4:20 pm

My response to returning chair hogs who have been gone for a long time: “I’m sorry, you must be mistaken, there was nothing on this chair.”

Regarding the jerk in line, it’s my experience that challenging people discreetly nowadays will get you a “mind your own business” or a finger or both. I might do it on a cruise, but I don’t do it elsewhere any more because you never know who has a gun nowadays.

35. Alex Wiedmann
      December 26th, 2013 @ 4:33 pm

I’ve cruised on various lines and find Oceania addresses many of the complaints. They have a deck chair policy which is reasonable and enforced. Smoking is allowed in a few areas and never on a veranda or anywhere else. The crew is the friendliest around.
      When I stepped aside for a gentleman in a scooter, he deferred and asked to be treated like everyone else.
      Except for their “free air” policy Oceania is great.

36. Lady Marion
      December 26th, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

If you want a smaller ship (and the coolest ship in the harbor)sail with Star Clippers. You can only smoke in the open air bar & one side of the lounge (although it’s rarely smoky in there). The passengers are a mix of Americans, Canadians & Europeans. Ships have 175-225 passengers. Ports are often small & out-of-the way and thus not crowded or burned out by cruisers. Less entertainment, but we never missed that because dinner starts @ 7:30 PM, and we were finished by our bedtime!

37. cromedomely
      December 26th, 2013 @ 4:36 pm

I have had the pleasure of being both a cruise passenger and a temporary resident in a cruise port city. I worked for an international company with a corporate office about 2 blocks from a cruise port. I traveled to that office occasionally for business. I usually stayed walking distance from the office. In the morning, I would have to pass through disembarking cruise passenger crowds on the way to the office. I understand that cruise passengers are on vacation, don’t have a lot of time in each port and want to have fun. Cruise ships dock in real cities with real people not characters in a theme park. Some port cities are pretty much canned tourist attractions that don’t offer true cultural experiences but some aren’t. I have to say that we cruise passengers can be a real entitled pain in the you know whats. I try to remember this when disembarking in a port city.

38. Will
      December 26th, 2013 @ 4:37 pm

I agree with John and I don’t think Chris told the whole story. That at the end of the cruise Chris is criticizing the kids suggests that there were previous encounters, and that the contempt was mutual. Chris charges the father with “treating people like garbage” because he had money, but wasn’t Chris staying in penthouse and enjoying early disembarkation. Quite a privilege in light of what Chris called a long line of people waiting with children. Chris escalated the disagreement loudly (humiliating the man in front of his children–really?!) which undoubtedly made other people uncomfortable, just to sooth his own ego. People like the father with “spoiled kids” are unavoidable in life and on cruise ships, but I really hope it is the “Chris-type” that we do not see on our next cruise.

39. Don Smith
      December 26th, 2013 @ 4:45 pm

We sailed exclusively with Norwegian and worked with a wonderful NCL booking agent several times via the phone. Before our fourth cruise we asked if we could meet her before boarding in Miami, as we wanted to thank her in person. We were able to meet, and we gave her a nice hand turned walnut salad bowl as a thank you gift. When we booked our fifth cruise we were able to use her again. A few weeks before departure she called us and said she had a great deal for us, an Owner’s Suite for $100 more than our standard cabin, and of course we said YES! It was a very nice gesture on her part, and we certainly appreciated her good work with us all those years.

40. James C
      December 26th, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

To Sande…

I don’t intend to come off as rude,however, smokers pay as much for their cabin as you pay. Possibly a balcony is not for you.

41. Rick
      December 26th, 2013 @ 5:08 pm

My wife and I have cruised many times on many lines. Typically we find both crew and passengers to be very nice. We have encountered boorish people but have concluded they must have miserable lives or huge inferiority complexes. Sometimes what we perceive as bad behavior may simply be cultural differences,like in which direction a queue forms. We simply let it be and focus on having a good time.

42. Marc Davidson
      December 26th, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

Oh, Helen! Don’t please forgo an adult-oriented cruise because of what you read here. My wife and I have been on 28 cruises, 21 different ships, a total of 239 days and have loved every minute of it. I can hardly think of a single passenger who offended me in any way, and can think of dozens of the most fascinating people I ever got the chance to meet and share a meal with. If you want to avoid kids, but not pay the exorbitant prices of some of the fancier lines, we recommend Holland America lines. Go see Alaska, or do the fall leaves cruises from Montreal to Boston. Enjoy!!!

43. Grumpy and Wife
      December 26th, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

Ethics, morals and manners have been replaced with “what I want is the most important thing”. You’re on a vacation people! Chillout and be nice to everyone for a change. It might even feel good!

44. keithm
      December 26th, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

I totally agree with Chris. Sometimes you need to admonish bad behavoir in public to get the point across. A few years back on the QM2 I was walking around late a night.The elevator in the lobby descended, Upon opening, a loud alarm bell rang out & this guy(about 70)& his buddy shot out of it. I had seen this jerk causing disruptions on board earlier that day. To the point of me threatening to kick him in the a## if he didn’t knock it off.Well I grabbed him & pinned him against the elevator & then peered inside to see what he had done. It turned out he pryed off the control plate, crossed the wires & shorted them out, knocking out the elevator. I held him there until security arrived, which was pretty quick. He actually tried to say I caused it, but the security cameras showed the guilty party in action! Never saw him after that night. We heard they kicked him off the next morning. Pretty stupid behavior after only one day at sea.

45. Queenliz
      December 26th, 2013 @ 5:21 pm

Maybe people who are complaining about rude,loud and arrogant Americans should choose a cruise line like P&O Cruises which is a UK company. We loved ‘Oriana’, the mostly UK passengers and Officer crew, the smokeless policy and by the way, now adult only ship. We have since cruised Holland-America but would go back to that fleet of ‘Oriana’, ‘Arcadia’ etc. in preference. Beautiful journey.

46. Gerry
      December 26th, 2013 @ 5:25 pm

CRUISED ON CARNIVAL 3 TIMES, INCLUDING NEW YEARS EVE. Nothing but the highest praise. We had one person yell Happy New Year in the hall at 2:30 and that was it- and our cabin was directly below LIDO deck. I pay good money for balcony and do not appreciate smokers using balcony as private smoking areas cause its not private. I csn’t enjoy my balcony when someone smoking next to me. No, do not let the jerks get away with it! Be polite and firm and make your point. Embarrass the idiots if you can. Only exception is the drunk. That is a waste of time. Just call security.

47. Greg B
      December 26th, 2013 @ 5:28 pm

To James C, re smoking on balconies
      James, a couple of points you need to consider about smokers on balconies.
      Most ships ban the practice for safety reasons, because if you drop a butt it can blow back into other balconies or even and open door and cause a fire risk.
      Secondly when I’m enjoying the fresh sea air on my balcony I’m not spreading a cancer causing 2nd hand fumes around other balconies like the smokers are.
      It’s easy for a smoker to limit their activity to smoking areas, but very hard to keep away from spreading fumes when you can’t stand the smell. Please be considerate.
      We recently cruised the Med with MSC, and smokers were really bad, and the ships had really poor separation of areas, wouldn’t recommend them to a non smoker. I’ll never use MSC again.

48. Newport Lad
      December 26th, 2013 @ 5:30 pm

Smoking is unhealthy and it should be banned from all indoor areas aboard, including the casino. My brother and sister both recently passed away from lung diseases caused by a birth defect. Cigarette smoke was very detrimental to their health as it is to many others. The health of all passengers is paramount. Smokers may pay the same for their cruise but that does not give them the right to affect the health of others. I really feel for the crew in smoking bars and casinos.

49. Kevin
      December 26th, 2013 @ 6:30 pm

We’ve been on 23 cruises to date, and Carnival is are favorite. At 55 and 60 we are still active and enjoy visiting ports of calls, beaches and snorkeling the reefs. As for Chris, I have to agree with him. Money doesn’t buy the right to criticize anyone, and more should be said to those that are behaving badly. We’ve met a few of those and watched them belittle a crew member. We then apologized to the crew member after they left and also spoke to the officer in charge to compliment the cook who for no reason had been verbally abused by two ladies for not putting enough tomatoes and ham on their omelets! If I had been in his shoes those ladies would have been wearing the omelets!
      As for getting off ships with early disembarking, once anyone sails enough times with Carnival or Royal Caribbean, you do get the rewarded for being repeat customers and can board and disembark quickly, along with some other perks.
      It’s a great way to travel, see other parts of the world, and a great value. There are some rude, no values or morals, stuck up people that you might encounter. Just remember that they look as bad to other passengers too, and with 3000 others on board, they are the a very small minority.

50. Nautinancy 2
      December 26th, 2013 @ 6:44 pm

HAVING BEEN ON 67 CRUISES, MANY LINES, I TEND TO IGNORE ANYONE WHO HAS A BAD ATTITUDE. THE INTERESTING AND PLEASANT PEOPLE FAR OUTWEIGH THE POOR SPORTS. PUT ME ON THE SEA AND I’M HAPPY. MOST OF THE TIME YOU CAN CONTROL THE PEOPLE YOU SURROUND YOURSELF WITH.

51. Stefano
      December 26th, 2013 @ 7:10 pm

Smokers generally see the entire world as an ashtray. They are addicts, and as such are self-centered and only concerned with their next “fix”. There is not point in confronting an addict; one should just report them to the appropriate authorities and let them deal with the selfish pigs. I don’t care how much a smoker paid for their cabin, they did not purchase the right to stink up the place with their slovenly habits.
      On another point, to Queenliz’s suggestion about taking P&O to avoid rude, loud and arrogant Americans won’t work. Americans (good or bad) have to sail on other countries lines because the number of American Cruise Lines is miniscule. And I have yet to find a country which does not have its own share of rude, loud and arrogant people!

52. mary wilson
      December 26th, 2013 @ 7:20 pm

We have been travelling on ships since 1956 – where I met my husband on our first overseas working holiday – two kids from Australia.
      From then till now we have been on ships every time the $$$$ allowed. Worldwide. We really love repositioning voyages, and are in loyalty clubs for seven different lines — so a pretty general approach. 2012 and 2013 saw us on Celebrity Millennium to Singapore, and 2013 a really wonderful trip to China on Diamond Princess. We are not ‘mixers’ and now a little deaf, so we more or less keep to ourselves and people-watch — but have always enjoyed conversations with staff, getting to know them on tables for two, and sometimes cabin stewards – we sail bottom deck, oceanview for preference. However, have just returned from a Royal Caribbean trip to the South Pacific with my grand-daughter – and though I could not fault the line, everything we had was as usual – our fellow passengers left a little to be desired — noisy, pushy, and in-your-face. Seeing baseball caps, thongs, shorts, t-shirts in the dining room was a shock for this old lady! We go to bed at 8 or 9 so the cruise video shown on the last night was interesting to say the least. However I have to say that the generosity shown in the Walk for Wishes was outstanding – and it was good to see whole families and groups having fun — just not the cruise for me! Our next is on Radiance to Tasmania – a ship that is being called Nursing Home on the Seas! We will have a good time anyway!!!!

53. arsailman
      December 26th, 2013 @ 7:30 pm

To Bob Butler: On Royal Caribbean you can have the tips removed and tip as you please by going to the customer relations desk and requesting so. I wasn’t eating in the dining room so had my tips lowered by $2 per day. I could have had them removed all together if I asked…

54. pat sherratt
      December 26th, 2013 @ 7:48 pm

Last cruise I was on was Royal C. we had 36 days on there and the cruise was excellent.except for 5 or 6 women plying their trade, they were soon off at the next stop with a notice in the newsletter that soliciting would not be tolerated.apart from that all the other cruises with naughty and nice cruisers were all taken in our stride.

55. Scott Michael
      December 26th, 2013 @ 7:55 pm

I was also upset about Royal Caribbean’s change to their gratuity policy as we always used to tip double the normal amount, in cash, the first day of the cruise. This has always worked well for us.

When I asked a concierge that felt comfortable with me (knew I wouldn’t post his/her name or ship) about it, I was told that since the crash of 2008, even Americans have radically curtailed voluntary tipping on Royal Caribbean. We’re not as bad as Europeans (it’s cultural for Europeans) but it was a pretty sharp decline.

We now tip the recommended amount in cash the first day so they still get the same amount in total.

56. karen robert
      December 26th, 2013 @ 8:25 pm

why are several comments assuming the offenders are identified as americans?

57. James B
      December 26th, 2013 @ 8:28 pm

Took a recent cruise on NCL. Just before the cruise, my son broke his ankle and had a plaster cast that precluded him wearing dress long pants but he did have two pairs of long cargo pants. We went to the fancier of the two main dining rooms which required long pants and despite my son’s cargo pants bring long, the woman at the seating desk claimed they were too casual and refused to seat us. We politely left but I did tell the woman at the desk that I felt she was being too critical. We went to the other dining room and were seated without incident.

The next day, I was contacted by the dining room manager who said the seater filed a complaint against me claiming I had called her a name (I won’t repeat it here but needless to say its a word I would never use.). I told the manager that she must have misheard what I said, I repeated what I had said and told the manager the situation. I then offered to immediately speak to the seater and explain that if she misunderstood what I said, I wanted to offer my apology. The restaurant manager didn’t want to hear anything, in his mind I had been tried and found guilty. He then went on to berate me saying that if another incident were reported he was going to report the issue to security which could leave to my family being put off the ship.

Needless to say, nothing else happened, and we had a great remainder of the cruise, avoiding the formal dining room, but that threat from the manager put me off wanting to take another NCL cruise.

58. stephie
      December 26th, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

Hi Bob F Butler
      We travelled with RC Rhapsody of the Seas December 2013 from Sydney Australia to the South Pacific islands. We had a great trip. With gratuities I informed the purser that i did not wish to pay the $12.50 per person a day and that i would make my own arrangements with tipping the people who we chose. These people included out State room Person who was fantastic and also our wonderful restaurant Waiters and Wine Waiter. Each one of the 4 had a generous tip from my husband and myself and also from both our Friends. I asked if the tips would have to be shared by putting the money into a communal pot and I was assured that they were allowed to keep their own tips.
      I will continue to do this for all of our cruises. Royal carribean is a great cruise line to travel with. Happy Cruising

59. Don
      December 26th, 2013 @ 8:44 pm

We met one rude and obnoxious couple on our last cruise, but it looks like we lucked out. They were no where near as bad as some that others have discussed on here.

There was also an Asian family who loved their Mahjong game so much that they permanently “reserved” a table in the game room by always leaving their tiles and other things on the table when they left, even for hours. The bad part was there was only 1 game room with just 5 game tables for the whole ship, with nearly 3,000 passenger capacity (really, Royal Caribbean?!).

To address other issues mentioned here…
      I don’t know the whole situation (none of us really does, right?) but I’d vote for Chris; the jerk publicly humiliated a group of people and deserved to be publicly reprimanded and humiliated.
      As for smoking, I will never understand why some people believe that their right to enjoy a cigarette or cigar overrides the rights of everyone else around them to breath clean air. My daughter has severe asthma and we have had many dinners and other events ruined by smokers who often were unaware of the effect of their actions (and many who were aware, but just didn’t care because they had a “right” to smoke).

60. Margaret McCleery
      December 26th, 2013 @ 8:49 pm

We are quite new to cruising, only 4 but cruising is our chosen holiday now, we love it. We have always had wonderful staff and have made some great new friends. We gave cruised P&O and RC and loved them both

61. Triple Jack
      December 26th, 2013 @ 9:01 pm

I worked with RCCL for 3 years. There are allot of nice employees on-board, but I can also say there is allot of naughty staffers as well, right from the bridge to some of the people that are entertaining you. I will not bore you with examples as I just have too many to choose from and the examples above are pretty soft-core from what I have seen on-board. Bottom line, there are A-Holes everywhere. As for the anti-smokers, 40-50% of the ships employee population that I worked with smoked. This includes Captains, S.Captains, Hotel Directors, Cruise Directors, Security Officers, and even the people preparing your food. I would be allot more worried about the people ( passengers ) touching the elevator buttons and salad tongs then worrying about a smokers bad habits! I think you can figure that out.

62. Elizabeth LIncoln
      December 26th, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

For Bob Butler,
      Although I don’t entirely disagree with you, the cabin stewards and dining room waiters are the staff you develop a more personal relationship with so you would naturally want to tip them more. Part of their job is to remember your name, deliver your ice or whatever little personal things you like and in the case of the waiter remembering how you like your coffee. The young man who so diligently wipes the stair rails making sure you don’t get sick is as worthy and works just as hard but part of his job description is to blend in with the surroundings and not engage. This is the only way to ensure everyone on the ship shares in the tip.

63. Marilyn Z
      December 26th, 2013 @ 10:00 pm

As far as tipping, I sometimes find a member of the crew who goes so far beyond what you expect that I go to the desk and ask them to remove a set amount from what I will be charged for my tips and then give that much in cash to that person.

On a recent cruise on Princess, we met a couple of young women at dinner one night. One is a travel agent out of Austin, TX, and the other is a minister who tries to turn around young people as they leave juvenile detention. Her success rate for turning these young people around is 80%, compared with 20% for the state. She has her own foundation and operates her ministry on a shoestring so her friend, the travel agent, was picking up the expense of the cruise. On the night when the casino was smoke free, the young minister decided to try her hand at the slots and risk a few dollars. On her third pull of the lever, she won $4000 which she cashed in and left the casino. She said she was going to use it to pay off some credit cards and take her husband on a cruise. I certainly am not condoning or encouraging gambling because I don’t do it myself, but this was one time when it truly worked out for someone who deserved it.

64. Barry Irwin
      December 26th, 2013 @ 10:12 pm

My wife. And I are British and cruised with Fred Olsen several times and once with both P &O and Royal Caribean.F.O.was mainly child free with smokers restricted to outside areas aft.a policy that worked well.To be honest we didnot notice queue( line) jumping but as the passengers were mainly British itis anational trait to join queues.P & O the same but met the passenger from hell,possibly the youngest man on board who argued in the theatre about seating with finger prodding a female older passenger.Bad enough but kept the harassment up daily and also ashore on departure day..R. C. In the Far East we went to Customer Services and asked to remove the tips from our bill and to pay cash.They did so with a smile and we certainly got a smile from the stewards and waiters we cashed tipped.However certain passengers who also said they would cash tip on the last night ate in the buffet to avoid the or waiters.. We met on R.C. More queue jumpers in the buffet and shows. Tha n on the other lines but it was a cultural thing.Some nationalities just do not queue?Also we noticed 2 women sunbathing in. The middle 2 loungers of 6 with handbags etc on the loungers immediate next to them leaving the single loungers at the end free. Whilst watching couples walking around searching for 2 loungers together.Selfism.

65. Diane Duguid
      December 26th, 2013 @ 10:31 pm

I was once on a Royal Caribbean to Bermuda in the summer. Wrong time, as there was about 20 teenagers holding lounge chairs on the main deck, upstairs, and in the back of the ship. One man said the towels were on there at 6am! There was no where to sit. When I approached one of the mothers, she said they were coming back..when? on the next cruise? It was so ridiculous. So the following year, we went on the day after school commenced, and it was great, no teenagers, just peace and quiet.

66. Michael Papoi
      December 26th, 2013 @ 10:34 pm

Was on a 5 day cruise with Celtic Thunder as the entertainment, best cruise ever! Been on many cruises, worst entertainment was Joey D and the Starlighters (With his MOTHER singing).

67. Marilyn Z
      December 27th, 2013 @ 12:32 am

I treated my poor school teacher daughter to a cruise several years ago. We were situated directly opposite the doctor’s office and you could smell marijuana all down the corridor, but it was particularly bad in front of the cabin next door to us. (I know the smell of it only because I served on a grand jury once and they had us smell it so don’t get any ideas.) This went on for 2 or 3 days and I finally decided no one was going to do anything about it, but I found a purser and told him and I never smelled it again. I’ll never understand why the doctor didn’t turn the person in.

68. Carla McKnight
      December 27th, 2013 @ 1:36 am

Give this a thought,I can afford a suite on Carnival but just get a balconey on the Lido deck, as you can not smoke on the suite balconys. So, instead of trashing the smokers, why not try to give some input to your ship. I have always thought they should set the ships up like hotels and have one side of the ship smoking and one side not. They certainly never ask when you are booking whetheryou are a smoker or not. JMHO

69. ken nevill
      December 27th, 2013 @ 2:03 am

was on diamond princess in march/april on a 24 day cruise sydney to beijing. (fabulous trip, by the way)We came back from an allday trip in taipai and could not be bothered to get changed and go to one of the dining rooms so just went straight up to the buffet for dinner. sat down to eat and a couple probably in their seventies approached the table next to us. She was in a wheel chair and quite frail, he was tall and a commanding man. A female steward helped him get his wife from the chair onto a seat and then he went to get some food. When he came back he gave his wife her plate and then sat down. It became very obvious that he had severe parkinsons and was having a hell of a job trying to cut his meat. the same steward came back and cut up his meat etc. and then went to the buffett as required to get what ever they wanted. She was inobtrusive but there when required. We were both gob smacked at the level of service. We were so impressed we leave on another princess cruise in 37 days!

70. Annelyn Van Der Hoek
      December 27th, 2013 @ 5:38 am

I have to agree with Elizabeth Lincoln. There are soooo many unseen or unnoticed staff who do hard, hot or dirty jobs on the cruise ships, who don’t have the same opportunities to earn personal tips. I prefer a shared tipping system, so their wages can be worthwhile too. I cannot credit good cruise service to, say, 4 key crew members.

71. tvtech
      December 27th, 2013 @ 7:10 am

I agree with the post of Chris above (the very first post here)

Some pompous people only understand one language..and that is to be told off in front of peers/people. To pull them aside and “chat” does not work with these morons.

Well done Chris.

72. ctaz
      December 27th, 2013 @ 9:36 am

First off, sick of people complaining about the added tips per person per stateroom. They obviously do this because the crew gets screwed. If you would like to do more on your own, give more. Our last cruise we loved our cabin steward and gave him a lot more money. You have to had a tremendously horrible experience to ever deny the staff their tips. This is how they make their money.
      Second, I am not a smoker anymore but my wife does smoke. She does not smoke around kids or other people, she is very polite when it comes to smoking. Last cruise she was smoking in a designated area and there was a woman sitting in a lounge chair in the area. She was giving my wife dirty looks and huffing and puffing, really lady, you are sitting in the smoking area and your complaining, please. NCL allows you to smoke on balconies. Somebody that smokes pays just as much as the person that doesn’t, and has less rights aboard a ship. I don’t like the smell of smoke but i put on my big boy pants and don’t let it ruin my trip.
      one more thing that really makes me mad are the people that complain, just to complain. Just relax and have a good time. Oh your soda was flat, oh you did not like the towel animal that day. Sometimes thing are not always perfect. We usually stay in a mini-suite on NCL, I am not paying for the Ritz Carlton, so I dont expect the Ritz Carlton. I know there are going to be bumps in the road, so I sit back and enjoy and sweat nothing.

73. Suze
      December 27th, 2013 @ 9:40 am

We tend to prefer the riverboat cruises in Europe. Grand Circle, Ama and Viking are a few, and they take only about 140 – 180 passengers. They go where a large cruise can not. Azamara is a larger cruise ship, and gratuities are included in the price you pay, making that practice easier on everyone. Of course we tipped when someone delivered exceptional service and also tipped our cabin steward when we left.
      Nasty and boorish people are all over the world, but remember always that you are in someone else’s country, probably don’t know the language, and are dealing with those who could never afford to board a cruise ship. Don’t behave like the Ugly American. Wherever you go you represent our beautiful country. Kindness never fails.

74. Donna
      December 27th, 2013 @ 9:41 am

My husband and I recently returned from an 11 day RC cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas (our first cruise). Awesome would be an understatement. Our first encounter was with our cabin steward who set the standard for every last cruise employee we met! Hats off to the wait staff in the main dining room (absolutely loved our duo at our table). They work multiple shifts in multiple venues, are always friendly, and do everything they can to make your experience enjoyable. Everyone that is assigned to you (waiters, steward, etc.) knows your name and will seek you out to make sure you are taken care of.

Do agree about chair/lounge hoggers. In our Centrum you could see it every day. People would camp their belongings so they had a seat when they wanted it (especially for special entertainment). We finally got a seat one evening by chance in the Centrum only because I saw someone with a spot open. Usually just stood around the balconies.

Entertainment was great, games were hilarious (had never played “adult” quest), and anything in the theater was worth going to. In fact there were so many options that if you were bored that was your own fault.

We went with the pre-tip option but gave extra tips to individuals we had daily contact with. I would think the behind the scenes folks deserve all of the pre-tip and more.

Can’t wait for our next cruise! Also loved loved my travel agent and will book through her again!

75. DavidB
      December 27th, 2013 @ 10:17 am

On Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas last spring we used self departure. There was a group of about 10-12 from Brazil just got off the elevator and broke into the middle of a long slow moving line. I can’t believe nobody said anything. Later after we got ashore I had to stop and catch my breath (asthma) the woman directing people went ballistic on me saying I was holding things up and pointed to a place about 100 yards back for me to go to. I said I couldn’t go there. She was on a real power trip. Last fall I ran into a similar woman in Baltimore. Royal Caribbean either attracts this type or hires them to be nasty.

76. Ken
      December 27th, 2013 @ 10:18 am

The comments have quite interesting to read.
      I wish to respond to the one about “wearing jeans” in the dining hall. This has been a point of contention on many cruises we have enjoyed. We travel as a foursome – my brother, our wives and myself. The dining room experience is one of the highlights of our cruises, and we never visit the alternative because we appreciate the special attention from our personal staff. The ladies particularly look forward to the formal: everything is just so special. Of course, there are those who prefer to ignore the dress code, although it clearly spelled out before they cruise.
      You hear many excuses why they do not follow the code: the most common being “It’s my cruise and nobody will tell me how to dress”. They seem to forget that 99.99% of the party are looking forward to an exclusive formal evening with their best girls. There are other options for them, at no extra charge.
      It seems rather boorish to complain about being asked to abide by the rules, then take it out on the staff because they did their jobs. This seems to me to be rather selfish.

77. donna
      December 27th, 2013 @ 11:49 am

To Bob’s post about RCCL charging daily gratuity you have the option to decline that off your bill and tip who and how much you would like. I was just on the Brillance and received that notice the first day and went to guest relations saying I want to be able to tip accordingly and they took the charge off. So you still have the option to not have them charge you daily.

78. M. Carr
      December 27th, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

Cruise lover here–32 cruises and counting. We’ve been on many lines to many destinations, the first being the 17,000 GRT Britannis and the last the 220,000 GRT Oasis. There are all kinds of people, which is one of the things we enjoy. There was the drunken lady who actually ate from my plate. She and her husband still communicate with us after 10 years and we are most fond of them. There was the obnoxious smoker with a hacking cough who so dominated her balcony that we could not enjoy ours at all. So we stayed inside and looked out the glass. We suspect she is no longer around, and that makes us truly sad for a wasted life. There was the wonderful waiter who thought our son was too skinny, so brought him two entrees every night. We still have the picture of him with our family, and it reminds us how much we came to love each other. The point is that cruises are what you make them, no matter the circumstances or crowd. So, yes, we were dismayed when our ship had to circle half a day to look for a passenger who had committed suicide, but the extra $400 that we incurred as a result was inconsequential when compared to the suffering of a wife and two kids who had witnessed the event. Cruising is a slice of life, so cut off a big slice and if it has a pit in it, just discreetly lay it on the side of your plate and keep eating.
      Bon Voyage!

79. Marci
      December 27th, 2013 @ 12:32 pm

We returned from a Celebrity Cruise in June from Alaska – and cruised with a TON of naughty people – line jumpers (check) ignorant children (check) people that used their HANDS in BUFFET PANS THAT REQUIRED SPOONS…NOT TONGS (check) people that moved the barriers before the buffet opened and then proceeded to remove the covers from the dishes (check) and last but not least, the people that physically pushed you aside (check) – Whenever we heard spontaneous applause by the end of our journey, we knew that one of “not them” had stood up to them. (It was a frequent occurrence) HOWEVER, I applaud MOST of the staff for doing everything they could, aside from this large “group” to make our journey pleasant.

80. Cindy
      December 27th, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam earlier this month and encountered some rudeness. I was on the elevator as the doors opened a gentleman pushing a wheelchair was plowing through the full elevator trying to get on, we tried to explain that we were getting off and it would be easier if he waited, another gentleman on the elevator trying to get off just took his foot and shoved the wheelchair backwards. I was embarrassed for both parties.

81. Barbara
      December 27th, 2013 @ 2:21 pm

We usually cruise Carnival and have always had a lovely time with them. The first time we took our daughters on a cruise we had a dinner table for 6. The waiter was very nice, but our table mates were not. They did nothing but complain to him about everything, which was not warrented. The food was good, his personality was excellent and he put up with it very well. They got off in Jamacia and and never came back. We were a very happy table after that and had a wonderful rest of cruise with our waiter.

82. MJM
      December 27th, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

We have done Carnival, Radisson, RCCL, and Celebrity. Celebrity wins hands down. The crews are wonderful, the food is great and the fellow passengers have been a joy. If you have signed up for freestyle, do try one cruise with assigned seating–we have enjoyed our meals with new friends so much. One couple even bought a suit at a port city so they would not miss the formal night with our group!

We loved the anecdote years ago of the man who traveled with $2 bills for tips and try to do that when we can. I appreciated the reminder of the importance of the stair rail wiping!! I think I will tip at least one of those people next time. I also make sure to thank– if not tip–the lady who cleans the bathrooms. One of them had such an incredible singing voice, I put her on my final questionnaire hoping she would be invited to sing on stage and not be penalized for singing in the bathroom as she cleaned.

83. Kai
      December 27th, 2013 @ 4:49 pm

Just off the Ruby Princess over Christmas. My 82 yr. old Mother went to use the hot tub and as she got in 2 little girls (without their parents) looked up and said, “Oh no… not another old lady”. Their behavior was unacceptable, and the other “old lady” gave up and got out. Their parents were in lounge chairs nearby and never once took an interest in the girls whereabouts or activities. Good parenting skills!!!

84. Brjll
      December 27th, 2013 @ 5:55 pm

Chris did the right thing. When the infraction occurs in private, the reprimand should be in private. However, when one decides to make a fool of himself publicly, then it is appropriate to speak to him concerning it publicly. It was Not Chris who embarrassed him in front of his family. When he acted in such an embarrassing manner, HE embarrassed himself in front of his family.

85. Paulette
      December 27th, 2013 @ 8:37 pm

My husband and and I have done about 6 cruises. One of the highlights is always dinner in the main dining room. We always choose to do traditional because we enjoy meeting new people. We have been fortunate to have wonderful table mates with the exception of one cruise. We were at a table for 4 and they arrived late wearing sweatpants and t-shirts. They said that on the first night you weren’t expected to dress up. I had never heard of this before and haven’t since so I’m not sure it’s even true. The rest of the week was not much better. Although they did dress appropriately they weren’t not very friendly. Meal time seemed to be all business for them. They would sit and eat and proceed to leave even if we hadn’t finished with our meal. We still choose to do traditional dining but now we request a table of 6 or more to increase our chances of meeting interesting people. I’m happy to say that we will be cruising on January 29th with a couple from Phoenix Arizona that we dined with back in 2011. We met them by chance and became good friends. We are really looking forward to sailing and dining with them again!

86. Jack
      December 27th, 2013 @ 8:59 pm

The smoking section on a ship is like the peeing section in a pool.

87. Jeanie
      December 28th, 2013 @ 12:57 am

Love the positive Princess page. We prefer this cruise line as 1) they treat us as family and 2) they respect their passengers and deal with those who do are not to be respected. We have not felt this with other lines.

88. KELTIC KIN
      December 28th, 2013 @ 1:56 am

AS A FORMER FLIGHT ATTENDANT I MUST SAY THAT THERE ARE THOSE WITH FIRST CLASS TICKETS & THOSE THAT ARE FIRST CLASS PEOPLE & THEY ARE NOT ALWAYS THE SAME –

CRUISED WITH ROYAL CARIB. BUT NEVER AGAIN BECAUSE OF 3 ART AUCTIONS IN 6 NIGHTS – IT SEEMED THAT WAS ALL CRUISE DIRECTOR WAS INTERESTED IN [A.K.A. LINING HIS POCKETS] – ONLY HOLLAND AMERICA FROM NOW ON – WE HAD GREAT AROUND THE THE HORN TRIP IN MARCH

89. Donna
      December 28th, 2013 @ 8:45 am

I just had to add another comment about diners at assigned sittings. We had a woman and child at our table. Both were pleasant to a point… The woman would order just about every appetizer and assorted main courses and nix just about all. The child was picky and threw vegetables around the table and have a fit when not fed fast enough. Our wait staff and other waiters worked hard to make them happy and never showed any annoyance toward them (though everyone else at the table would have liked to say eat somewhere else please). Had a good laugh the last night after they left with the staff. Really did not detract from my dining experience because everyone else was nice and the staff and food choices were wonderful.

Will also say that I really enjoyed dressing for dinner. I work in jeans during the day and the chance to dress in something else (and wear something other than tennis shoes was so much fun). Never wore jeans to any meal. I think that should be the way to go as it makes it special… just saying.

90. Gary
      December 28th, 2013 @ 10:29 am

On the point of passengers saving lounge chairs, several cruise lines have rules that the crew will time the length a towel or book has been holding up a chair (once it’s been pointed out to them). This usually varies, but the average time I’ve encountered is forty minutes. The crew has a separate section at their towel station that passengers (the selfish ones) can retrieve their property with an explanation of why it was consificated.

91. Stan
      December 28th, 2013 @ 10:37 am

I am an occasional cigar smoker. Nevertheless, I understand and agree with the concerns of non-smokers. I also believe all balconies should be off-limits for smoking, as it presents a very real danger of fire, the worst thing that can occur on a ship at sea.

Having said that, I also believe a separate area should be set aside for smokers, both outside (perhaps an upper level bar) and in a confined, well-ventilated interior space. Most RC ships have a cigar lounge, and it is well appreciated by smokers.

92. Donna
      December 28th, 2013 @ 12:36 pm

Also.. this time for Ctaz. I, too am a smoker and I think he is right on both comments about smoking and tipping. I paid extra for a balcony so I could smoke (would never go any other way). My steward brought me a ship approved ashtray among many other requests over 11 days immediately. The passenger is getting over on tipping as it is (I really think that now). If you think about how many people are serving you (that you don’t see) is unreal. Realized that quickly. Enjoy your cruise and appreciate all your servers (both seen and unseen)

93. Mary Allen
      December 28th, 2013 @ 5:28 pm

Come on, cruising is like any activity with which there is interaction among guests. Some guests are wretched, some are great with most just average people on vacation. There are the good, the bad and the ugly with most being nice and polite (and believe it or not the nicest may not be American but the most polite definitely are). If you have lounge “hogs” find the man in charge and tell him you are taking it and why, if people are difficult, just handle it as you would at home. If you don’t want to leave a gratuity, tell the Purser and they will not automatically charge your account. Who cares what you wear at dinner, formal night or not; dress any way that YOU want and enjoy yourself (if garb is so critically important to you then only sail Radisson, Crystal or the exclusive lines). If someone is terribly out of line deal with it in the way you would if you were at home. Cruise, have fun and make the best of difficult people and situations. FYI, there is no question in my mind that among the more affordable cruise lines, Celebrity serves the finer quality food, you may not love the dish but the grade of food used is the best.

94. IslandGal
      December 28th, 2013 @ 7:02 pm

Dining attire: Come on people! Even the people who wear jeans, shorts or clown outfits to the dining room are listed under “entitled” in my opinion. Mr. “I’m paying $$$$ so I’ll wear whatever I feel comfy in.” Hmmm…ENTITLED MUCH?!

Smokers: See above. Just because you pay the same amount as the non-smokers, doesn’t give you the right to make your own rules.

I just don’t get some people these days! Seriously. Ugh!

95. Rena
      December 28th, 2013 @ 8:54 pm

Donna & Tipping…….We are almost Diamond on RC & only learned a couple of cruises ago, that the staff we interact with, dining room staff, our cabin steward, etc., MAKE NO SALARY! Our gratuities are what they count on (little pun :>) for their income….usually to send home to their family, whom they rarely see, and the staff live in VERY cramped & basic rooms. RC began the “must pre-pay grats” policy because so many people stiffed the staff or, are Europeans, who think the tips are included, understandably. We always get envelopes at the end to add to the daily amount or hand the person the money with a sincere thank you. They are ALWAYS smiling, saying hello, how can they help, what can they do, are we having a nice time, etc, etc…….even if their town at home was just blown away by a horrid storm & they don’t know if their family is alive. I am surprised no one else here has mentioned this. I was very surprised when I found out they get room & board & that’s it. I always add a dollar to bar drink tips & show my appreciation for the nice person bringing my room service treat. I figure…..if we can afford to go on a cruise, the extra 1-5 dollars to the staff person will mean a lot more to them… working 20 hours a day to make us happy! Be generous & grateful that WE are the cruisers!!! :>)

96. Carla Everett
      December 28th, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

I just got off a cruise today on the Westerdam, and pushing, jumping line and stepping in front of other passengers was the norm with this group. One young man jumped line in front of me and bragged that you “just have to go for it.” I told him to “go for it somewhere else,” and he thought I was kidding. Who is teaching these young people about manners? He was shocked when I told him he could cut the line somewhere else, but not in front of my family. Geez! It sure was nice to see some very well-behaved young children on this Christmas cruise, however! Yeah!!!

97. Jerrold
      December 29th, 2013 @ 2:21 am

Chris, BRAVO! A good bit of Jewish guilt never killed anyone! Yes, I know, you are probably not Jewish but I think you get the point. When I see a kid running around in Target or a restaurant etc., I just ask him/her where is his mother or father…. The parent comes running and grabs the kid and goes the other way.

Gee, didn’t Hillary Clinton write a book on something like this? If it takes a village then how come people get slammed for trying to parent other kids when their own parents won’t do it?

Yes, just because you have money does not you are entitled to anything and everything. I had an uncle and an aunt who could afford anything. You better believe that their grandkids would never be allowed out of line even if they were going from the penthouse and being helped into their 450SEL Mercedes.

Finally someone has stepped forward as sometimes those parents have no idea how rude they are in the first place by allowing that kind of behavior and just thinking either it is normal or funny. NOT!

As far as our wonderful, amazing and totally fulfilling first ever cruise (RCCL), we never really saw anything like that. In fact my wife and I were pleasantly surprised at how well behaved pretty much every kid was and how most parents handled their kids getting out of hand. Sure you have those who feel entitled, but that really was far and few between.

I was also shocked with the consistent pleasantness and can-do attitude of the crew. Case in point I accidentally left our camera at one of the photo kiosks at the photo center and realized it about a half hour later. Of course I panicked as it was the last day of our first trip and it was a camera. Guess what? One of the staff realized we left it behind and it was immediately taken up to the main desk. WOW!!!!!

98. Jeff R from Dallas
      December 29th, 2013 @ 7:26 am

My wife and I went on our First Cruise on the Ruby Princess in November 2012. My Career is dealing in Customer Service, and that I deal with Rude people all the time. I have learned to not let those people get in the way of me enjoying the moment. If you let those people ruin your experience, then you empower them to change your point of reference…We were on the Cruise to get away from the hustle and bustle of our daily lives…We knew that getting on a ship with 5,000 other people wasn’t the same as going to St.Thomas and sitting on the beach…but we had a great time and have some fond memories of our first Cruise…I highly recommend the Ruby Princess.

99. Gary
      December 29th, 2013 @ 9:54 am

As for formal dining, I believe people traveling have many decent outfits(other than coat and tie); to me, It’s an outfit that doesn’t need to be added to my luggage because the lighter I travel the better.

100. Terri
      December 29th, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

My very first cruise was in June 2007. This was a Carnival cruise. My mother had cancer and wanted to take one last vacation with us. By this time she was pretty much using her walker or wheelchair all the time. The crew members were outstanding. Every time they saw us coming they would go out of their way to assist us where they could. When we would go into the buffet, they would move chairs or tables so that we could get through. The majority of the other passengers on the cruise were so rude. They would purposely stand in the way or move chairs in the way if we were trying to go down a hall or even in the buffet. Shortly after that trip my mother passed away, but it was a terrific way to spend our last vacation with her. Instead of letting the other rude passengers on this trip ruin it for us, I chose to concentrate on the help from the crew members in making this trip enjoyable.

I have been on many more cruises, various lines, since then and am still amazed by how rude other passengers can be, but always in awe on how great the crew members are in dealing with these people. I have seen the people who send back EVERY meal that they order, and I am talking every dish on the menu, EVERY NIGHT, and the waitstaff still keeps a smile on their face when dealing with these individuals. I have also seen a woman berate the photography staff because they did not print every one of her photos, even though they did not turn out. She was so rude and obnoxious that she actually wanted the cabin number of the photography lab supervisor so she could go to his cabin and berate him. The photography staff was kind and considerate dealing with her.

I never take the crew members on these cruises for granted. They are the ones who help make our vacations great.

101. Clare
      December 29th, 2013 @ 7:59 pm

Just returned from a 7 day cruise on NCL’s Breakaway. What was I thinking? A cruise on Christmas? I heard estimates of 1500 to 2000 kids. As the week went on, I made a point of complimenting parents with well behaved children. And I only stepped out of bounds and spoke to one child.
      NCL was great at managing crowds. I never saw lounge chairs “reserved” with hats, books or towels. And I understand NCL is going non smoking soon. I will sail with them again.

102. Mary Lou
      December 29th, 2013 @ 8:34 pm

We have enjoyed over 185 cruising days with Princess and 25 or so with other companies. Once we figured out that longer cruises almost completely eliminated children running wild and large groups reserving chairs, we have focused on cruises of 10 or more days. We made an exception and took a 7-day Western Caribbean early in December. Most of the passengers were lovely. My husband needs to use a walker on board. That was not a problem, as there were a lot of older folks with wheel chair and walkers and canes. However, we did encounter a first in rudeness.

Chutzpah Award: One night a comedian was performing in the Vista Lounge. He had been in the Princess Theater the night before and was well-received, so the Lounge was crowded beyond capacity. People were standing in the aisles and along the walls. My husband was seated, with his walker stashed out of the way slightly behind us. After a bit, I noticed a stranger sitting on it and quietly asked him to be careful as it was a medical device and my husband needed it. The guy and his wife proceeded to lecture me, telling me, loudly, that they knew all about medical devices. They never asked to use it, they never apologized, they never said they would be careful. I would like to nominate them the Chutzpah Award!

103. Nerina le Roux
      December 30th, 2013 @ 9:25 am

We have been on a few cruises with different cruise lines over the years. We have met wonderful people in the days you were seated with the same crowd for the duration of the trip. We kept in touch and had great fun. BUT, we also had the crowd from hell on a P&O cruise and decided, never again on that line. One couple fought VERY private fights at the table and expected the rest to give their opinion and take sides! We were the only ones that sat there in awe. Guess who opted for the buffet most of the time although we really prefer the formal dining. I am not a snob but
      I think it makes a huge difference if most of the people on a cruise drive to the pier in their cars with their whole extended families. It makes for a complete different vibe in comparison to all our other cruises. But what the hell, maybe I am just jealous that they save airfare! Just one more thing, we have NEVER seen so many people dress up for family photos every evening!
      I am sure that now I will be slaughtered!

104. thundar
      December 30th, 2013 @ 5:33 pm

I would rather deal with smoke than that pee water that the women drench themselves in thinking they smell “pretty”…there are a lot of people that are just as sensitive to fragrances, as there are smoke, if not more.

when the ships do away with the perfumes, I’ll do away with smokers.

my first and last cruise was spent mostly in the medical ward on oxygen due to perfume.

Thanks Ladies

105. Vivienne
      January 3rd, 2014 @ 11:39 pm

On a 7 day cruise aboard HAL Amsterdam late Aug 2013, my husband and I experienced or witnessed none of the bad behaviour incidents or traits portrayed above. We have nothing but praise for ALL fellow passengers we came in contact with. They were civil, well mannered and in some cases very friendly.

106. Debbie
      January 5th, 2014 @ 8:38 pm

We took our first cruise last year on the Celebrity Solstice and whilst I don’t have anything to compare to, we had the most amazing time and thought everything was fantastic. We did not have one single complaint. In fact we have already booked another cruise with Celebrity for April we enjoyed it that much

107. Debbie