We Try It: Ionithermie Spa Treatments

October 10, 2013 | By | 23 Comments

When someone tells me I can lose four to eight inches off my thighs and all I have to do is lay there, well, I’m all ears. So when I first began hearing about Ionithermie cellulite reduction treatments on cruise lines a couple of years ago, I couldn’t help but pay attention. According to spa claims, Ionithermie detoxifies the body at a cellular level, which results in smoother, more toned-looking skin.
It took a few cruises (and some extra pounds) before I was willing to take the plunge. Why the heck not? At $159 per treatment, it wasn’t crazy pricey. If it actually worked, it would be a downright bargain. And if it didn’t, my curiosity would at least be satisfied.
So when I was on Norwegian Jewel earlier this year, I signed up for one treatment. – despite the receptionist’s disapproval.. “You know, one treatment really isn’t enough,” she said, trying to be helpful.
“I think I’ll just start with one and see how it goes,” I answered (I don’t know what other passengers do, but I expected to see results before forking over another $240).. She smiled but shook her head as if I were making a grave mistake.
The next day I stood in a treatment room as a 20-something spa therapist explained the process to me. First I would be measured, then slathered with a special algae and wrapped in plastic with electrodes stuck to me, left to bake. At the end of this, I could expect to lose an inch off each thigh, maybe. The four to eight inches that’s touted in the brochure? That only comes after a minimum of three sessions.
An inch isn’t so bad. I’ll gladly take an inch of my thighs without doing 200 squats!
Measurement time: I am not a thin woman. I can barely stand to undress in the privacy of my bedroom all alone, so standing spread eagled while the specialist took my measurements wasn’t entirely comfortable… to put it mildly. She was sweet, though, and treated the whole thing in a matter-of-fact manner; no judgement.
Nonetheless, I was glad when it was algae time. I don’t know what makes the algae used in this process any different from the green slime you find on a stagnant pond, but the therapist told me it had detoxifying qualities and would help me shed toxins and unnecessary water. Sounded good to me.
After my thighs were covered in the green goop, I hopped up on the table where four electrodes were applied to my legs (two each). Plastic was then wrapped around my legs and the specialist left the room for some 30 minutes.
Now, I’ve had electric stimulation at my chiropractor’s but this felt nothing like that. Instead of a constant, pleasant buzz, the electrodes intermittently activated, causing my leg muscles to clench. It feels like you are tensing your muscles, and yet you’re not doing anything. It’s not painful or uncomfortable; it’s just weird and not at all relaxing.
Thirty minutes later, my Ionithermie therapist returned, removed the electrodes and rinsed down my legs. Then she measured me again.
A half inch.
That’s what she told me I’d lost on each leg.
I guess I have to believe her, but my pants didn’t feel any looser and my thighs definitely didn’t look any more toned.
In the end, I’m glad I satisfied my curiosity, but I won’t be doing it again. I would have had better results spending the 45 minutes in the gym.
    Please share this post!

23 Responses to “We Try It: Ionithermie Spa Treatments”

1. Brian
      October 10th, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

I have some snake oil to sell you. Only $100 a bottle. It has amazing hydrolyzing properties, flushing your system of unhealthy toxins and cleansing your system for better digestion. Oh, the ingredients? Just water.

2. Sandy
      September 12th, 2014 @ 2:18 pm

I went in the carnival dream I was in for 14 in a week I saw a dramatic change my therapist stayed with me the whole time she was a hoot! She was from South Africa she measured me from the front and made sure I understood everything, Cloe was the best honestly, I am so confident and I want to do Ionithermie every cruise I go on! I lost a lot of inches but more importantly than that I just feel better about myself

3. Janusz
      October 9th, 2014 @ 2:21 am

after using the stuff I lost 15 pounds and my waist went from 36 to 32

4. Cindy K.
      October 19th, 2014 @ 8:58 pm

I just did the ionithermie on Carnival Conquest. My therapist was Margo from South Africa, and she was extremely knowledgeable. She made me feel at ease since it is a little humbling standing in front of a mirror in tiny underwear getting measured. She explained the whole process and stayed in the room with me the entire treatment. There was not any “green algae goop” used like some people mentioned in previous comments. She used ampoules that were glass viles containing ingredients such as red algae (the viles are mostly a clear liquid). A grey colored clay mixture was applied before adding the electrodes to the desired area. After the 30 minute session, I was measured again and given my results. I had lost an overall total of 8 inches, but what really showed me results was that I had been retaining so much fluid in my feet and legs that I didn’t have ankles, and it definitely had gone down after one treatment. For the remainder of the day I had gone to the bathroom numerous times, letting me know that my body was trying to eliminate the build up of fluid. I signed up for two more treatments, and even my husband noticed a difference in my legs and stomach. I loved the ionithermie, and believe that it can help jump start the circulation & metabolism. I only wish I could find a place close to home that offered this treatment. I will do it again the next time I go on another cruise!

5. Stacey
      December 16th, 2014 @ 10:21 am

A few weeks ago I was on the Carnival Dream and absolutely lived the therapist Cloe!! She is awesome! As we speak, I am on the Carnival Sunshine doing another round of Ionithermie…I act find the electrodes very relaxing…lol

6. Stacey
      December 16th, 2014 @ 10:22 am

Oh yeah…this therapist on the Sunshine is nice enough, but she is no Cloe!! Will have to find out what ship Cloe is on for my next booking!!

7. Faye
      December 24th, 2014 @ 3:31 pm

My sister and I both had the treatment on our last cruse neither one of us will do it again. We bought the 300$plus kit and was told we would keep seeing results. Not so, you only see results if you have the machine. Will not do this again. Save your money !!!

8. Sandra
      February 21st, 2015 @ 7:54 pm

I just returned from a cruise on carnival victory and had two treatments. Giovanna was my spa therapist and she was absolutely wonderful!! Very informative and pleasant to visi with. The only time she left the room was to book my other spa services. After first treatment the measurements showed 8 inch decrease from my abdomen down my thighs. The next day I could see a change in the appearance of the skin on my inner thighs. Much smoother looking. After my second treatment there was 10 inches total lost. I can see a tell my upper abdomen is smaller and my thighs look even better. I wish this treatment was available close to me cause I would definitely do again.

9. Daphne
      February 23rd, 2015 @ 7:49 pm

Chloe on the Dream is AMAZING…great personality and I loved the treatment. I lost 9 inches, and even better felt so good afterwards!

10. Heather
      March 1st, 2015 @ 11:07 am

you only lose some water the first day. the fat reduction and change to your circulation and local metabolism takes over a month. I let all my cellulite in one go but it did take a full month to see the result. I had six sessions over ten days on a cruise a few years ago since i get on cruises rarely. It got my middle aged legs back to my twenties except for the veins. I went to France to learn how to do it, to bring it in as a business. it makes really good sense medically once you hear how it works. But definitely allow time. I do not have such a business now so every now and then I will have to cruise just to get the ionithermie. The effects can last over a year if you are a clean eater that it not loading alcohol and rubbish back in. You will balloon up again.

11. Karen
      April 15th, 2015 @ 9:14 pm

I’ve done this twice while on a cruise and have loved the results both times. You don’t really notice anything immediately… But the next day my cellulite looked dramatically smoother and my legs looked tighter. This is what I wanted since I was on a cruise and was going to spend time in my bathing suit. I would do it again – day one of my cruise… I bought the pill package during my first trip — but I can’t seem to stay on track with taking pills daily. This time I bought the external packet and like it much better. I am doing it every other day and it has encouraged me to walk daily to help with the results. I would like to buy a home Ten’s Unit if anyone can direct me as to which one I might get. There are tons of them out there!

12. Kate
      April 21st, 2015 @ 5:16 pm

Dori, you write very well! I just had a treatment on Liberty of the Seas (Royal Caribbean). I had no idea what to expect–I had the same reaction as you did, except the electrodes buzzed like crazy on one leg and had an odd heat sensation on my right buttock. I’m not sure what to do on follow up–the oral treatment is megabucks. I’m inclined to try it again, but I think that the pain from squats will be far less than the one in my wallet. I decided to look it up on the Internet and found Cruise Critic.

13. Loraine
      June 17th, 2015 @ 4:11 pm

i just returned from having three treatments on the Carnival Splendor with Chelby and I am hooked. Each treatment saw a loss of over 6 inches with a total loss of 20 1/4 inches. I do notice it in my clothes and my skin looks great. My treatments were all on my abdomen. I purchased the home kit and will let you know how it goes.

14. Elizabeth
      July 7th, 2015 @ 9:14 am

I have Marisa on the Carnival Pride and she is AMAZING! Not only is she gorgeous, but she really knows her stuff. As a 19 year old that has an extreme amount of cellulite, I wanted to fix it before I get older and it becomes harder. She convinced me to do the ionthermie treatment and I have no regets! Although I didn’t see a huge amount of cellulite reduction (it would’ve help more if they weren’t book solid and I could’ve had a few more treatments done) BUT I lost SEVEN INCHES. In thirty minutes. I didn’t even have that many inches to lose but I lost a total of seven inches just in my hips and thighs. Excited? Of course. Will I do it again on my next cruise? Absolutely-and will book them as soon as I board!

15. Karen
      July 12th, 2015 @ 7:55 am

Just back from P&O cruise on Jewel. I had 2 treatments and lost a total of 21.5cms. My therapist Antoinette was sensational .. I am so happy with the results I can see. Would definitely do it again and wish I could find somewhere close to have more

16. Mosese'
      July 21st, 2015 @ 2:07 pm

I was initially skeptical because I don’t like a hard sell but after the treatment and the results I saw I would do it again and again and again. Anneri was my consultant (Enchantment of the Sea) and she was wonderful!! explaining the process which makes perfect sense. Everyone is different and it depends on what you want to do, I needed a jumpstart and it definitely did that. I am staying diligent to the at home process and seeing and feeling the results!! Do what works for you

17. Marisa
      July 22nd, 2015 @ 6:15 pm

I just returned from The Carnival Magic and completed three rounds and lost a total of 18 1/2 inches. My therapist was awesome and stayed with me until I felt comfortable at the max level. I am also brushing and using the red algae at home and when I return on the Magic in a couple of weeks will see her again. I love how carnival places the soft wraps before applying the algae and electrodes rather than placing the algae directly on my skin. I was very skeptical at first and lost 8 1/2 inches my first visit!

18. LeAnn
      August 5th, 2015 @ 3:37 pm

I have had the iothermine 5 times….inital visit on RCCL and then again the NCL and tehn then 3 visits during 1 week on PCL. Loved them! I did purchase the 24 day Iothermine Kit for home….and am contemplating whether I should order again. As much as I love it….it does to a number on the pocket book! Since I have run out of the ampules at home…and haven’t used them in about a month…I can definitely feel the difference. When I had the treatments done or even did them at home…I felt lighter and tighter than I normally do. I think I’ve talked myself into getting another supply. :)

19. Suzanne
      August 30th, 2015 @ 9:43 am

I to was on the carnival splendor. I to did my treatment with chelby and. Let me tell you that she was excellent in explaining the treatment and how it works. To my surprise i lost a total of 10 inches on my hips and thighs. Which made me feel great. But the best part of it right after the treatment i ran into a couple of friends that I knew before going on the cruise and they the 2 of them said my legs looked thinner. But at the end of my trip i went back to chelby and i gained 1/4 of a inch back. Bought 2 boxes but not at all discouraged. Im going to continue using it with my exercise and watching what I eat as best to my ability.

20. sb
      September 5th, 2015 @ 2:20 pm

I was fooled, just got back from the Norwegian gem, and had 5 treatments, 2 on my legs and 3 on my tummy. the feeling is great, but the results are not true!! right before my last treatment, i felt bloated. but better after. she measured me, and i felt that I lost too many inches and the numbers didn’t add up to me, she told me I lost 2 full inches on my upper abdomen. when she left the room, i saw that she left the tape measure and I decided to check it for myself. not just i didn’t loose, I was 5 inches more then she said. I couldn’t even confront her, after all I did feel good after the treatment and it was my last evening on the cruise. and I already bought supply for 2 months.I am disappointed that she had to lie to me, but if anything, i did like the feeling of the muscles contraction with the machine, and felt like I had a workout. but I don’t believe it makes you loose anything unless you are on a diet. I wish I had the machine at home I feel like my abdominal muscles got strong from the 3 treatments, I can’t imagine if I would do it every day.

21. sb
      September 5th, 2015 @ 3:40 pm

it was 3 inches more then she told me, 5 inches total.

22. Suzanne
      September 11th, 2015 @ 10:12 pm

I just had this done on a Carnival ship. My therapist said that I lost a total of 12.5 inches. I am a bit skeptical of that total.

The strangest part….after reading all of these comments…..the mixture was not applied directly to my skin as all these reviews read. There was a very thin cloth placed on my skin and then the mixture was placed on top of the cloth.

23. Christy
      October 21st, 2015 @ 1:28 pm

I was on the Crown Princess last week and bought the 3 treatments for $299 package. I lost 3.5 inches after the first treatment. I forgot to bring my log book back for the second treatment and so she started a new book. When I compared the two sets of measurements (taken on two consecutive days, my beginning measurements were exactly the same or a little higher. I did loose 4.5 inches the second time but if you add back the 3.5 I lost the first day it was actually a net loss of 1 inch. The third treatment was two days later and she could not locate her measuring tape, so no measurements were taken. I was not very thrilled about that since one of the main selling points is to know how many inches you loose. I did ask her the first day if it was even worth doing the treatments if I was not going to do the home treatment and she said honestly, no it’s not. She told me I was a stage 2 cellulite and that I would require the 48 day home treatment which was $700. I told I was not doing that, then she offered to start w/ the 12 day for something like $225. Finally she offered the Brush + the Cellutox active oil which she stated would do the exact same thing as the home kits. These were $49 and $69 each. I do think I saw some improvement in tone but could not really tell any difference in the way my clothes felt on me. I was a sensible eater and had no sodas on the cruise. Overall I give the treatments a 5 out of 10. My therapist was really nice and I probably did see some inch loss but I’ll never know for sure how much. I’m still debating buying the Cellutox active oil.