Cruise Line Loyalty (With Chart Break-Down)

August 19, 2013 | By | 17 Comments

cruise-benefits-member
Cruise line member perks always have been a hot topic, but more so since last week’s feature, in which we suggested seven reasons you should be loyal to one cruise line. While a battle over which lines has the best rewards roiled the comments section, many of you wished for a chart that would easily distinguish them. (We put one together for you, of course.) But we also were curious to see how loyal you already are.
What we asked: How loyal are you to one cruise line?
What they said: Neck-and-neck for the lead were poll-takers who either leaned towards mostly cruising one line or have cruised multiple lines. Trailing behind were proud rewards members, and in last place were brand loyalty diehards. However, this doesn’t mean that most of our poll-takers aren’t reaping the benefits. In the comments section of last week’s feature, most of you admitted cruising multiple lines was simply a means of determining which line you were willing to commit to.
cruise-member-benefits-poll
Our chart includes a brief range of benefits based on level of membership for seven major cruise lines. (So keep in mind, there are a lot of benefits you won’t see — we just couldn’t fit ‘em all!) For more details on each of these cruise lines’ loyalty programs, visit the Web sites for Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, Princess, Celebrity, Holland America and Disney. Others discussed but not included in the chart were Azamara, Seabourn and P&O. For more information, check out our in-depth feature on loyalty programs.
cruise-benefits-member-chart
Vote in today’s daily poll by scrolling to the bottom right.
We suggest 7 Reasons to be Loyal to Your Cruise Line.

Comments

17 Responses to “Cruise Line Loyalty (With Chart Break-Down)”

1. Loretta Feldman
      August 19th, 2013 @ 2:25 pm

We cruise a variety based on ports and price. Each has pluses and minuses. all good, some better.

2. Loretta Feldman
      August 19th, 2013 @ 2:27 pm

We have gone Holldand (HAL), Princess, Celebrity, Azamara and soon Oceania.

3. Tanya Flemon
      August 19th, 2013 @ 3:23 pm

Thanks for the breakdown but at least with Carnival, I’ll have to get to Gold or 26 or more cruising days to get the really good benefits. I’m assuming the other lines are pretty much the same? So many cruising days?? etc.

4. mayda
      August 19th, 2013 @ 3:31 pm

Im a loyal cruiser of carnival cruise,,,,,,been cruising with Carnival for years and thank god all has been amazing,,,I have also cruised with Royal Caribbean but always semm to go back to Carnival,,,,all in all we love cruising,,,,,,,,,,,,,

5. Cruise Critic
      August 19th, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

Hi, Tanya. The other cruise lines use similar systems, whether it’s through the amount of days cruised, points accrued, credits earned, etc. But generally, the benefits do increase with member ranking. If you’re curious about the way each cruise line’s loyalty program works, click the links above the chart to read more on their Web sites.

6. Martin S Ryszka
      August 19th, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

Each line has something to offer that’s worth experiencing once. Variety is the spice of life. Or Mickey Arison would own them all. As it is the Carnival umbrella has no duplicates. It’s fun to think once I sail on all of them maybe I’ll earn a ‘lunch on Lido’ with Mickey. lol

7. Judy Saurer
      August 19th, 2013 @ 6:21 pm

Since Carnival also owns Princess, do loyalty perks earned on Princess also apply to the other cruise lines they own?

8. Judi
      August 19th, 2013 @ 8:00 pm

It would be more helpful if the chart showed how many cruise nights needed for the particular perks. There can be a huge difference.

9. sandra
      August 19th, 2013 @ 9:10 pm

I will only cruise Carnival,just booked my 18th cruise,can’t wait.

10. Helen
      August 19th, 2013 @ 9:23 pm

Princess is my all-time favorite. I don’t care if the ship is old or new, it’s the staff and the exquisite customer service that makes them so special. I have sailed Royal Caribbean (never again), Carnival (never again), Norwegian and Princess, but Princess takes the cake.

11. RichG
      August 20th, 2013 @ 1:08 am

I’m happy to take whatever perks the cruise lines want to throw at me for my loyalty (and I must admit that I do enjoy the daily free booze that my status buys me on RCCL) but there is no incentive program that can beat a plain-old highly discounted last minute cruise. The difference in fare pays for a lot of perks!

12. CarolS
      August 20th, 2013 @ 10:47 am

We are loyal Carnival cruisers. You noted on the others, but not on Carnival, so I thought I would mention it. We always get priority check-in, welcome back gifts, a special cocktail party, canapes and chocolate strawberries delivered to the cabin, preferrental dinner seating, special cruise discounts and priority embarkation and disembarkation. Pretty sweet to walk to the front of the long line to head out for your day. Carnival makes you feel like royalty. The free laundry service is something that we love, too. We’ve also sailed RCCL and NCL, but Carnival is our favorite.

13. Cruise Critic publishes a benefits comparison guide | cruisetheoceanswithemma.com
      August 20th, 2013 @ 3:15 pm
    14. Dee Davis
      August 25th, 2013 @ 5:37 pm

About to take my 3rd NCL cruise…first two were wonderful!

15. AudalSomerset
      August 26th, 2013 @ 10:09 am

We mainly cruise Princess but occasionally p&o which counts towards your loyalty points. The free Internet suits us but other people might prefer some of the other benefits offered. Although not part of the loyalty scheme Princess give credits to Military personnel even if it was only National Service. Uk as well as USA cruisers.

16. Barney F
      August 27th, 2013 @ 6:49 pm

We started with Carnival in 2004 & have been with them ever since. Not disrespecting other cruise lines, but Carnival is our cup of tea.

17. Dennis Slater
      August 28th, 2013 @ 3:09 am

If you notice, most of the things that cruise lines give you do not cost them anything or do not really have any monetary value.

Priority seating or boarding? That kind of thing does not excite me.

One the reasons we like Princess so well (150 cruising days) is that we get a substantial number free internet minutes depending on how long the cruise is. That is definitely worth something.

I would not cruise on Carnival or NCL even if it was free.