Poll Position: The Law of the Lido

March 27, 2013 | By | 12 Comments

cruise-rules-regulations-change
With lots of maritime practices being called into question of late, it’s clear onboard rules and regulations are necessary. Some, however, need to be tightened, and others could stand to be loosened a bit. We decided to ask our readers which one of four popular “laws of the lido” they’d most like to see amended.
What we asked: Cruise rules: I’d like to see changes in ___.
What they said: More than half (54 percent) of voters say BYO alcohol policies should be altered, while 20 percent think dining room dress codes are an issue. Casino restrictions won more than 14 percent of responses, and the remaining 11 percent said they’d like to see a change in muster procedures.
cruise-rules-regulations-change-poll-results
What it all means: Alcohol is always a hot topic with cruisers. Whether they feel strongly about sneaking vodka onboard in mouthwash bottles, think drink prices onboard are downright criminal or want all-you-can-drink booze packages to disappear off the face of the earth, just about everyone has an opinion on the subject.
Your turn: What are your thoughts and why? Be sure to share in the comments below.
Vote in today’s daily poll here by scrolling to the bottom right.
For a roundup of all things alcohol-related, check out our definitive guide to cruise booze.
Get everything you need to know about all-you-can-drink alcohol packages.

Comments

12 Responses to “Poll Position: The Law of the Lido”

1. marie marshall
      March 27th, 2013 @ 11:51 am

fee dining! and dress codes for main dining rooms,, men should be able to wear dress shorts and collared shirts,, they look nicer than slobby jeans and team sports shirts!

2. Marc L
      March 27th, 2013 @ 11:59 am

How about actually enforcing the existing rules instead of trying to come up with new ones?

There’s no point in making new rules if the cruise lines won’t even enforce existing ones.

3. James Hills
      March 27th, 2013 @ 12:21 pm

Nice poll – but would be interested to see what people wanted changed … seems like the discussions around dress code in the forums are pretty split between “dress code doesn’t matter” and “guys should wear a jacket, not just a collared shirt”.

4. Cindy Moralle Yoder
      March 27th, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

I would actually like to see no smoking in the casino….or at least a full day of non smoking.We had to leave so many times last week.

5. Catherine
      March 27th, 2013 @ 1:31 pm

I totally agree with the no smoking in the casino. I’ve never been able to go in or near a casino on any cruise ship because of the smoke. Or perhaps an offering of a smoke free cruise a few times a year. That would be refreshing.

6. Sailorgirl222
      March 27th, 2013 @ 2:42 pm

I would LOVE non-smoking cruises. That way, I could enjoy all areas of the ship without having to worry about my health.

7. MB
      March 28th, 2013 @ 8:12 am

I understand their policies on alcohol – they do want to make money. Cruiselines are a for-profit business after all. However, the ships I go on do not carry Cruzan Rum. I wish I could bring it on in some capacity – I’d pay for it, I’d bring it and then pay per drink for goodness sake. But it’s my drink of choice and wish there were a way I could legally bring it on without fear of the ‘naughty room’

8. Erin
      March 28th, 2013 @ 2:16 pm

No options about enforced chair-hogging prevention? Really?

9. Paul
      March 30th, 2013 @ 1:09 am

Great idea with the smoke free…..while we’re at it, lets ban all fatty foods, red meat and well anything else (allegedly) bad for us while we are at it. If being around smoke during a casino for 7 days makes you worry about your health I suggest you don’t breath the air in any major city in America. Oh btw, lets take the spoons away from fat people too.

Personally, I agree with the dress code issues. We are here to have fun and enjoy but part of the experience is to dress the part. If you don’t want to dress the part then don’t join the show.

10. darren
      March 31st, 2013 @ 2:28 pm

I think if people have issues with the BYO alcohol, they should think about why they are going on the cruise in the first place. The cruise line needs to make money. Like restaurants, bars and other establishments that serve alcohol, that is where they make profit.. If they can’t make money, they will have to raise prices or reduce services in other areas…

11. keith mclean
      April 1st, 2013 @ 5:11 pm

Alcohol prices are over the top. Last cruise black tie nights every 3 nights was a joke. I was there to relax, not to worry about dressing up.

12. Tina Day
      April 7th, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

You can take your own alcohol into any hotel room on the planet.Most people still buy a drink or two at the hotel bar as well so the hotel is still making its money. A ship is just a floating hotel after all so I dont see the big deal about BYO alcohol to drink in your own cabin. Lighten up cruise companies!