Pimp My Cabin: 8 Ways to Deck Out Your Onboard Dwelling

January 31, 2013 | By | 7 Comments

pimp-decorate-cruise-ship-cabin-week
Welcome to Cabin Week! Every day this week, we’ll be highlighting our cabin-themed content, giving you great tips on everything from choosing the right cabin to getting upgrades and making a small stateroom feel more homey. Look for new blogs every day on the Lido Deck, as well as our best advice in our Ultimate Guide to Cruise Ship Cabins.
Sure, it’s just temporary, but your cabin will be “home” for the duration of your sailing, which, for some cruisers, can be quite a large chunk of time. Although cruise lines try to make passengers feel comfortable by offering the latest amenities — flat-screen TV’s, comfy bedding and free toiletries, just to name a few — there are always additional items you can bring along to make your stateroom a bit less … stately.
Whether you’re aiming for practicality, familiarity or just plain whimsy, check out our list of must-pack items if you want to really make your cabin your home away from home.
Learn how to choose a cabin.

Comments

7 Responses to “Pimp My Cabin: 8 Ways to Deck Out Your Onboard Dwelling”

1. Susan Willis
      January 31st, 2013 @ 10:00 am

I bring a scented battery powered candle, a personalized door collage and sometimes a comfy throw.

2. candace Gideo
      January 31st, 2013 @ 11:31 am

I bring wall clings and door decorations for the season traveling!

3. Suzanne Housty
      January 31st, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

We bring a small magnetic white board for our stateroom door so friends can leave messages. We also bring a dollar store shower organizer and dollar store ‘over door’ hook for extra clothing hanging room.

4. Angela Kinstle
      January 31st, 2013 @ 10:35 pm

I saw in a review on the Cruise Critic message boards this week that someone bought cloth covered collapsable storage boxes from Target. They were attractive, could be re-purposed at home, and could hold toiletries, under garments, books, etc. Very cute and I believe the price was under $10!

5. Lori Anne
      January 31st, 2013 @ 11:42 pm

I bring a bungee cord to keep my balcony cabin door open especially at night so I can hear the soothing sounds of the ocean and in the day time so I can feel the cool ocean breezes in the room with fresh air. I also always bring a throw blanket …mine is hello kitty and a plush pink throw with me for nights I want to sleep out on the balcony in a chair under the moonlight lol. I always bring an airfreshner for the room …especially the bathroom and a travel sized can of Lysol to disenfect those counter surfaces and door knobs to my room.

6. Suzie
      March 24th, 2013 @ 11:12 am

Some of the ideas they talk about are a NO-NO for most Cruises. My power strip was taken from me and I know they dont allow the coffee maker..There are some great ideas here and will put some of them to use on our 7day cruise. In April we will be going on a 4 dayer so wont be bringing too much this trip. However I always bring with me my little bungee cord. I got mine at Walmart–they are actually used for around the garbage cans so the bags wont fall in. I use mine for the door to the balcony in my stateroom so the door doesnt always BANG shut if we want to keep it open. I also use it by the pool area. With all the wind going on up there its hard to keep your towel on your chaise lounger. I pull the towel up to so wraps a little around the top and put the bungee cord around the top of the chair and the towel. keeps it in place and wont fly away on you.

7. Gwenda Helgert
      June 16th, 2014 @ 2:16 pm

After using the over the door shoe organizer for the first time, I was horrified to see that it left marks at the top of the bathroom door from the (very thin) metal hangers! Since then, I have used magnetic wreath hangers that support heavy weights and just attach them to the cabin walls wherever it is most convenient! No more guilt.
      I also use the hanging cardboard air fresheners for cars. They are cheap, come in a wide variety of scents (tropical is great for Caribbean destinations), take no space in your luggage and can be disposed of at the end of the cruise