Would You Book This ‘Bad Balcony,’ Take 3?

September 5, 2012 | By | 6 Comments

bad-balcony
As noted in previous “bad balcony” posts, there’s no such thing as a truly awful verandah — though some are definitely worse than others. On a blustery Atlantic crossing on HAL‘s Maasdam, there was nothing physically wrong with our balcony, but the gale force winds made it impossible to go outside. I’m just not a huge fan of front-facing balconies, which can be unusable when ships are at sea. (Even MSC’s attempt to create a windbreak on forward verandahs on its new Divina created a terrarium-like ambience that was a tad unpleasant.)
But two balcony cabins on Hapag-Lloyd‘s Europa, one on Deck 5, the other on Deck 6, caught my eye for their weird, prison-like decor. The bars enclosing them are there to support a tender, but still … strange. I tried to check it out as well from the inside, but never managed to peek in when the occupants’ doors were open, so I don’t know how it affected the cabin’s mood.

Would you be upset if you ended up with this balcony? Weigh in below.
Got a picture of your own “bad balcony”? Send it to lido@cruisecritic.com.

Comments

6 Responses to “Would You Book This ‘Bad Balcony,’ Take 3?”

1. Mark Blei
      September 5th, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

I would take a prison like balcony in a flat second over no balcony or heaven forbid no cruise.

I love the Masadam, ive sailed her about 5 times to my recollection, but I’ve never had a forward facing balcony. I can we how that could be an issue on sea days

2. Tom Pecena
      September 5th, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

No balcony or any outside deck is tolerable in gale force winds. I don’t even go outside at home if it’s that windy! And as to a forward facing balcony….thats kinda like sitting on the hood of your car whilst driving down the highway. Looks great and cool on the deck plans, creates more revenue for the line, the ship builder met the quota of the cruise line for number of balcony rooms, but unless you’re in port it’s pretty much worthless. Large plate windows would be a better option. Make the balcony space inside space and call it a mini suite. Or like Carnival’s Cat. 9 family rooms on top.

3. Lora
      September 5th, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

The colors are awful and not appealing to the eye. All It would take is a ship makeover with a different color scheme. Think bright and cheery or maybe a scenery!

4. Shirley
      September 6th, 2012 @ 4:00 pm

I was debating on a balcony with a 50% obstruction and I just could not bring myself into booking it. If I pay that much for a balcony (even though they are cut rate prices for balcony)….booking a room with no obstruction was only $300 more.

5. Brenda
      November 15th, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

I had an obstructed-view balcony on my last cruise & as long as I have a balcony, it doesn’t matter! Sure beats an inside room any day & yes, I did use the balcony frequently.

6. AudalSomerset
      August 2nd, 2013 @ 11:40 am

Had a partially obstructed balcony transatlantic from New York in November. Not really obstructed at all & nice to get a breath og fresh air. Also nice to sit inside to read by the patio doors. Outside cabins always seem to have windows over beds not very convenient.