July 10, 2012 | By | 16 Comments

Attention fans: The 2013 NKOTB Cruise will run May 18 to 22. Ticket pre-sale for fan club members begins September 13, with ticket sales open to the public on September 14. For more information, visit NKOTB.com..
Maybe it’s because I’m a “Blockhead.”
But while typical Caribbean cruisers sail for the culinary offerings, leisurely pace and sunny ports of call, fellow New Kids on the Block diehards (“Blockheads”) only had eyes for the five super cute passengers on Carnival Destiny. And for a mostly female, Fifty Shades of Grey-reading crowd, the 80′s icons — Donnie Wahlberg, Jordan Knight, Jonathan Knight, Joe McIntyre, and Danny Wood — provided four days of pure grown-up boy band delight.
Although I’ve been on many traditional sailings, this was my first music theme cruise, an at-sea genre that’s exploded over the past decade, with acts like John Mayer, Weezer, and Kid Rock regularly hosting sold-out float-fests. Prices on these theme cruises tend to be two to three times what you’d pay for a “normal” cruise. For instance, an oceanview cabin on our four-day cruise cost around $1,000.
I went in with few expectations beyond what I’d read on Twitter from fans who had been on past adventures (this was NKOTB’s fourth year at sea, all of them sold out). For me, cruising from Miami to the Bahamas’ Half Moon Cay and then Key West were mere details to the bigger fantasy itinerary — spending four days breathing the same air as my teenage crushes (the youngest of whom is now pushing 40!). Many of the cruisers’ stories were the same … we wanted a chance to escape the reality of full-time jobs, family responsibilities — “grown-up life” — and relive our fun and carefree teen years when all we could do was swoon over those five Boston boys who were “Hangin’ Tough” for every “Step by Step,” begging us to “Please, Don’t Go, Girl.”
For those four days and nights, we weren’t going anywhere but to the pool deck and wherever else on the ship that NKOTB was scheduled to appear — and appear they did. From the moment I stepped foot into my cabin and flicked on the TV to the all-New-Kids-all-the-time channel (accordingly dubbed “NK TV”), I knew this wouldn’t be like any ordinary cruise. Gone were my interests in bingo, formal night and ice sculptures; instead, I was planning how to manage outfit changes for the special events, including a Meet-and-Greet photo session where you were guaranteed a hug and a smile from each of the band members. Among some of the other equally-fan girl-lovin’ highlights: “NKOTB Squares,” a sexy and hilarious spin on “Hollywood Squares” that the band members and their crew “played;” Town Hall, a very informal poolside press conference; solo performances by four of the five band members; even a full concert on Half Moon Cay’s white, sandy beach that was capped off with, yes, water games with the superstars. For true fans, the wow factor on this trip was as big as the crowds that gathered each night to dance and party for hours with their favorite boy band.
For fans hoping to party like a teenager with adventures sure to evoke moments of crush-worthy nostalgia, the NKOTB Cruise presented “The Right Stuff” indeed. Take a look…

Comments

16 Responses to “New Kids on the Block Cruise: The “Right Stuff” for Reliving Your Boy Band Obsession”

1. Helly
      July 10th, 2012 @ 4:20 pm

This was my 2nd NKOTB Cruise, my first being their technical 1st in 2009 (not counting their crazy Magic Summer cruise in which they were on separate ships from fans). I have to say, this cruise more than made up for the jitters of 2009. So much fun, craziness, excitement & love aboard one ship!! I have had the opportunity to see them 10x since 2008, and nothing tops knowing you’re on the same boat as them and you’re gonna see em multiple times a day & night. The last nights on the cruise, that turned into mornings, with Nkotb, especially Donnie, were priceless — Breakfast Club for life!!!!

2. Charyl A.
      July 10th, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

Great article Gina! This is a great summary of four amazing days spent with new friends and our beloved NKOTB!!

3. delia
      July 10th, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

I too was a virgin to the nkotb cruises, and i can say even though the rooms were pricey it was money very well spent. those four days were my escape and last single trip with my girlfriends before my upcoming wedding. Those 5 boston guys now men stole my heart over 15yrs ago. I only hope I get to go again next year

4. Kim Krupp
      July 10th, 2012 @ 6:10 pm

This was my 4th NK Cruise & yes it was amazing! One thing I want to say is that the show on Half Moon Cay was not a full concert, just a few songs. To hot to perform out there for 1-2 hours. The 1st yr and 2nd yr the concert was inside and was a full show.
      Hope for cruise 5 they go back to that :)
      Otherwise-just amazing & worth spending 4x’s more then a normal cruise lol

5. J
      July 10th, 2012 @ 6:54 pm

I truly wanted, with all of my heart, to go on this cruise but I just couldn’t afford it. After reading this article & seeing how much fun everyone had, I’m going to start saving because this is 1 cruise I should NEVER miss again!!!!!

6. Susan
      July 10th, 2012 @ 8:53 pm

I LOVE UR PICS and Glad u had fun on the cruise! I really enjoyed meeting u and being ur neighbor on the boat.

7. Vanessa Reid
      July 10th, 2012 @ 10:24 pm

Cruise Virgin here too and it was the most amazing time ever! Everyday was busy and active and so much fun :) xoxo Everything was great. Love to go to Cozumel next year instead of Key West but lol

8. Jackie K (@JoegrlDdubwoman)
      July 10th, 2012 @ 10:49 pm

Great article :). This is my 3rd cruise and DEFINITLY the best in my opinion! Those boys just keep getting better,, they give so much year round but that cruise is a different level of love!! Amazing friends, awesome memories and a lifetime of dreams made reality, what more could you ask for? #breakfastclub

9. Brooke
      July 11th, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

This was my first cruise, it was more then I could have hoped for!NKOTB were amazing. I can only hope that I get to experience it again.

10. Angie
      July 11th, 2012 @ 8:22 pm

This was my first cruise of any kind and it was just so much better than I expected. Who would have thought that many women could be in one place and get along. But we all had the same goal: Have a great time! Can’t wait till next year’s cruise:)

11. JessicaCrielly
      July 11th, 2012 @ 11:20 pm

I am definitely going on the next one and I heard that the boys might bring with them a protege act like Midnight Red (who were on tour with them last summer). Think that would be a good idea because NK just keep finding ways to give back and most blockheads like MNR

12. Bec
      July 12th, 2012 @ 5:23 am

Great article! I haven’t had the chance to cruise yet..All your pics and comments are getting me fired up for 2013 though! Hope to get on!! See u there!! :) :)

13. Nichole
      July 12th, 2012 @ 9:56 am

This was my second NKOTB Cruise and i had an amazing time! they just keep getting better and better! Who would’nt love 4 days with 5 amazing guys and 2000 BH sisters!!

14. Jasmine D.
      July 17th, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

I was a cruisw virgin, too and did not really know what to expect because I had never been on a cruise. I booked the cruise as a 21st birthday present for myself and I was so excited. Seeing them for more than one night and knowing that I was in the same place as the guys made me feel lime everything was unreal. Whenever something amazing happens to me, I seriously feel like I’m dreaming. I was not old enough to really experience the craziness that was NKOTB back in the day, so I felt like I missed out. I was fan, but I was only about 3 years old. Seeing then live for the first time back in 09 and again in 2011 reignited my love for them and then I HAD to go on the cruise. This was the BEST vacay of my life! I def. wanna do it again!

15. Robin Kay
      September 10th, 2012 @ 2:07 pm

I have been 3 times… I am not going again. For 4 reasons: 1) it is WAY too expensive. Like 5 to 6 times more then a normal cruise. 2) the deck parties are very crowded, every single night and because of “spot saving” and crabby/drunk people if you try to move closer you get yelled at, pushed or stepped on. Every night is like concert night (but the guys are on their own scheduled… a 11 PM party doesn’t start until midnight or later because they guys don’t show up until then) 3) it was too hard to find my friends. Not having cell phones made it almost impossible to find anyone you wanted to. Unless and your friends stay in the same cabin or meet a certain times in a non-crowded place good luck finding anyone!!

16. norvelle
      October 1st, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

well this will be my first year as a cruise virgin, danny and donnie girl by the way. i really liked your post it was cool. and i cant wait to see all five of them there so cool. i went to two shows in detroit and atlanta and went to jordans live and unfinished show here too in atlanta. they are completely awesome and im planning on using all the money i can to pay off cruise tab and already booked hotel and flight.