Would You Book This ‘Bad Balcony,’ Take 2?

June 1, 2012 | By | 10 Comments

Seeing a Cruise Critic editor’s “bad balcony” put reader Sandee in a sharing mood. She recently cruised in one of Celebrity Silhouette’s 130 AquaClass cabins (1549), which means she had access to the Persian Garden, a DIY spa compound featuring rooms that mimic a bug-free rainforest and sand- and camel-free dessert, and Blu, an exclusive spa dining venue. Insider her cabin were extra-fluffy bathrobes and towels, spa toiletries and a five-nozzle massaging shower head. We imagine she was feeling a bit like putty … until she saw the view from her balcony — the ship’s window washing equipment. Still, the sight of a steel basket and possibly a man in a jumpsuit spraying water from a hose didn’t entirely kill the mood. “The Obstruction you see is annoying, but never did we regret sailing on this ship,” she wrote in an e-mail.
Got a picture of your own ‘bad balcony’? Send it to lido@cruisecritic.com.
Grin or grimace over 8 more unusual cruise ship balconies.
And check out nine great things to do on your balcony. But whatever you do, don’t do number ten on the list.

Comments

10 Responses to “Would You Book This ‘Bad Balcony,’ Take 2?”

1. Tracy
      June 1st, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

Personally I’d give anything to be able to take my husband on a cruise, with or with out a lousy view… I’d settle for an inside cabin. When someone you love and care for is sick, and you are unsure of a future… you dont sweat the small stuff… wow… all i can say

2. Kathy
      June 1st, 2012 @ 2:03 pm

Tracy –
      It’s comments like yours that are meant for one thing only: to make someone else feel bad.
      Everything is relative…. I’m sure if someone in a 3rd world country was able to see your internet post (my, aren’t you lucky to be able to afford that technology…), they might be resentful that you are able to provide your sick loved one with medical care, etc. instead of just watching them die due to poor sanitation, no running water, and no medical care for miles and miles.
      My point? YOU don’t get to judge what “small stuff” someone else is sweating. You don’t know “Sandee” nor her life circumstances, so don’t be so quick to be resentful and nasty.
      Best wishes for your husband’s health.

3. Tracy
      June 1st, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

I was not intending to be nasty… by any means at all. i was saying it would be nice to be able to take my husband on a cruise… whether it be a cabin with a view or not… as for judging Sandee… not at all… as she posted the view did not detroy her cruise… perhaps you misunderstood my intention in my post… I never said a thing about money… so bringing being able to afford medical care is not an issue… and by the way… are you certain we can afford medical care?

at any rate… i was not intendeding to insult Sandee… i was just saying that we all need to not sweat the little stuff… my apologies if i upset you or Sandee…

4. ACruiseGuy
      June 1st, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

Really, why are these two comments here? They add nothing to the conversation….

5. CJ
      June 1st, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

I agree with Kathy.

6. Breezey
      June 1st, 2012 @ 5:42 pm

In port I really had to look to see what they were speaking of. But I am sure when out on the ocean it sticks out. I don’t know if I would book this room, depends on how cheap it is I guess ;o)

I like Sandee’s attitude, glad she didn’t let this damper her mood.

7. michele moore
      June 1st, 2012 @ 6:05 pm

ok lets start over with this…this balcony would not bother me one bit. Just being on the ship would make me happy!

8. Marcia
      June 1st, 2012 @ 6:13 pm

I’m am a little annoyed by this post. I was on the very same ship last month. I was not in the luxury AquaClass cabin, therefore, affording me special perks. Would I have switched with this gal? You betcha. In a heartbeat.

What is not mentioned in this post is that the Silhoutte front desk sends letters to all passengers notifying them when window washing will happen in their areas. They even list a time span….and it’s only on port days. If this happens again, call me. I’d love an upgrade.

9. Cruise Critic
      June 6th, 2012 @ 8:38 am

We’re more referring to the view — the steel basket is a near-permanent obstruction, and something that consumers may want to be aware of when considering a cabin.

10. Brenda
      November 15th, 2012 @ 8:06 pm

Being on a cruise is the best vacation you can have-oceanview, balcony, inside, etc. My best wishes go out to Tracy and her husband and the health problems her husband has. My husband & I loved cruising (I still do) but unfortunately I lost him in 2005, and even though I still love cruising & have wonderful friends to cruise with, I still miss him very much on cruises. I understand what Kathy was saying also-but I don’t think she is saying that it ruined her cruise, just was an obstruction to the view.