Would You Book This ‘Bad Balcony?’

May 25, 2012 | By | 29 Comments

I’ve long subscribed to the sentiment that there’s no such thing as a bad cruise ship balcony — but my opinion might be changing. Onboard the brand-new MSC Divina in a forward-facing balcony cabin, you understand the need for the pictured wall of windows: It’s to protect occupants from the blustery winds that front-of-ship cabins often endure. I had a balcony cabin on the bow of Azamara Journey that was essentially unusable while we were at sea, though quite pleasant while docked or moving very, very slowly.
While there’s no bluster coming in on this one, when the weather heats up it feels like you’re sitting in a terrarium (not a good thing for long). On a positive note, it’s kind of cool looking, with all that steel surrounding you. Would you book this balcony? And tell us: What’s the worst balcony you’ve ever had? Got a picture? Send it to lido@cruisecritic.com.
Grin or grimace over 8 more unusual cruise ship balconies.
And check out nine great things to do on your balcony. But whatever you do, don’t do number ten on the list.

Comments

29 Responses to “Would You Book This ‘Bad Balcony?’”

1. dontpanik
      May 25th, 2012 @ 11:23 am

Personally, I wouldn’t but it might be kind of fun. On the above picture, if the window portion stays put, move the rail back to the window so the occupants can lay out and have more outdoor space. Then, it might be worth it

2. Scott
      May 25th, 2012 @ 11:26 am

EEK! You can’t look over the edge down at the water, you can’t even get near the glass. I would hope that this cabin costs a lot less than a normal balcony. And if there is bad weather, you probably can’t go out there at all.

3. Sherri Lorenz
      May 25th, 2012 @ 11:26 am

The worst balcony I ever had was on Carnival Imagination in their “suite”. It had chairs but with them on the balcony, you couldn’t sit in them because there was no room for your legs, and because they were there, you couldn’t stand. Definitely regret paying up for the suite on that trip.

On the contrary, we had a great starboard side balcony on Carnival Spirit that was worth every penny. So even in the same cruise line, you have to be very careful to research EVERY aspect of your room including the measurements.

4. Sir Edward Gray
      May 25th, 2012 @ 11:26 am

It’s a ‘no’ from me.

5. Carolyn
      May 25th, 2012 @ 11:39 am

I sure wouldn’t book this “glass jar”. Worst balcony I ever had was on Carnival Victory. Poor excuse for a balcony. It was similar to sitting on a window ledge. Best was on Star Princess. Two lovely big chairs, plus footstools and still lots of room to move around. Was such a pleasure to be out there. Oh and two tables:)

6. Rose Umo
      May 25th, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

Only if it was air-conditioned.

7. Pill Doc
      May 25th, 2012 @ 12:49 pm

I vote no.

8. Barb
      May 25th, 2012 @ 1:00 pm

Move the bar back, or even better – remove it completely – and I’d be tempted. Make there room for a lounger instead of just a chair and this could be your own little oasis on the windy and slightly cool days of a cruise out of FL when it isn’t quite warm enough to swim. Even better if the windows open just a little to let in fresh air, or if the AC works out there.

9. June Glisson
      May 25th, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

I would do it. If I could get “inside cabin” prices for this, it would be very cool!

10. Roberta Gerlach
      May 25th, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

@Barb I agree. This could be a truly unique experience, especially if it was one of the least expensive staterooms.

11. Mrs O
      May 25th, 2012 @ 1:45 pm

We had a pretty bad balcony on deck 10 (midship) on Disney Dream. It’s one deck below the pool deck which overhangs the rest of the ship. So….we had a lovely view of the underside of the pool deck and had very little sun. While it did keep the balcony cooler than some we’ve had in the past, the balcony was so small, we didn’t spend any time out there other than to watch as we pulled into port.

12. Sandy
      May 25th, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

I want a balcony to escape airconditining and recycled air. Fresh air is the thing! This looks like it is completely closed in. No thanks!

13. Barb Nahoumi
      May 25th, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

Have the glass go all the way to the floor, for a better view.

14. CruiseDad
      May 25th, 2012 @ 3:32 pm

Carolyn, I am getting ready to book the Victory in an Ocean Suite. Was this the worst Balcony. What cabin did you have. I certanly would not book this knowingly. We had an “obstructed View” on the Fantasy and it was fine, just a life boat in the way. And the TA sent us a photo before we booked

15. Vicki
      May 25th, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

it could be good for traveling with children.u get the feel of outside,without the fear of kids climbing the rail.

16. TaxedToDeath
      May 25th, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

Worst balcony is the back of the Freedom class RCL ships. It was much larger but it overlooked a massive metal structure with small porthole openings 30 ft away. One could barely see the water

17. Kim
      May 25th, 2012 @ 5:12 pm

No way would I pay for this “balcony”. Can you even call it a balcony if it’s enclosed? Where’s the view? Windows to the floor are needed, or at the very least, remove the bar in front of the chairs. Make sure it’s air conditioned and I’d be willing to pay a LITTLE more for the extra space and light, but not as much as I’d pay for a regular balcony.

18. Carolyn Terlouw
      May 25th, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

CruiseDad, I honestly can’t remember the cabin number. I do know it was around 6360 Upper Level, port side.The cabin wasn’t the greatest. I travelled this time with my sister and we each had a twin bed, but there was no night tables. We had to put our cell phones (for alarms) on a central table in the middle of the room, to wake us for tours etc. The balcony was a real downer after booking that upgrade especially for relaxing and eating breakfast outside. There was no room for any of that. I went with Carnival because of the cheaper price for my sister. I’m a Princess girl through and through:)

19. Diane N.
      May 29th, 2012 @ 4:18 pm

What were they thinking? Really?

20. emil petko
      June 2nd, 2012 @ 10:14 am

Hey,at least there is some sunshine on this little “balcony” at some point in time.
      We cruised on the Celebrity Silhouette recently
      in a so-called “Aquaclass” verandah suite and had “permanent” shade on the balcony and the constant noise of people walking overhead — thanks to a 15 foot metal extension on the balcony roof with large support beams on either side so deck 12 –the pool deck above us could be extra wide for pedestrian traffic .
      Nowhere on any deck plan or in any description of these cabins is there any indication of any such obstruction .
      So stay away from decks 10 and 12 in the narrower part of the deck plan unless you have an aversion to direct sunlight….

21. DocMerlot
      June 6th, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

If I had been upgraded from an inside stateroom to this “blacony” at no extra cost, I would’ve been estatic. If I had paid for a room with a balcony and walked in on this monstrosity, I would’ve demanded a different room or rasied hell.

22. Mark Blei
      September 5th, 2012 @ 1:29 pm

I can see how that could turn into an oven. But at the right price, and as I’ve said before, versus no balcony or no cruise at all, I’m sure I could manage it.

Let’s face it, your worst day at sea, is still better than most of your best days on land. At least that’s the way I feel.

23. John D'Amico
      December 13th, 2012 @ 2:44 pm

Our veranda on HAL Zuiderdam, cabin 5066, was so narrow, we could not open the door fully. If you sat in the chairs facing forward, your knees were up against the glass railing. If you angled the chairs, you could not move. We had friends in the cabin next to us and the steward removed the partition between the two verandas which provided a better view.

24. Gregory
      January 29th, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

It would be great if you stand on the railing and get a blast of air…. plus its at the front of the ship.

25. Clive Harvey
      January 30th, 2013 @ 7:26 am

I just don’t get it. What’s the big deal about a balcony? In well over 60 cruises I’ve only ever had one cabin with a balcony. OK, it was a pleasant novelty and I think I sat out there in the sun for about 30 minutes writing postcards and that was it. I’d far rather have a larger cabin than a sliver of outdoor space that may be in the shade for most of the day.

26. Susan
      January 30th, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

I first had the same reaction as most and definitively thought NO!

However, if you were doing a cruise in a cooler clime (Alaska early) this might be just right.

27. Raymond Hovsepian
      January 31st, 2013 @ 3:49 pm

The fact that it is on MSC is enough to say no! The absolute worst cruise company no matter how their balcony or the rest of the ship looks.

28. Justin
      January 31st, 2013 @ 9:01 pm

This is a glorified oceanview cabin, ain’t it?

29. Cindy Dalmadge
      July 1st, 2013 @ 5:58 pm

This balcony pictured would raise a howl from me, if I had paid more than an “outside seaview” price. First of all, claustrophobia would take over, and with apparently no ventilation, suffocation would soon follow!
      Nor would I book a balcony on any of HAL’s Vista class ships that are next to the outside glass elevator. There is no privacy whatsoever, as people on the elevator all look over to see what you’re up to. Also on the Vista class Oosterdam, we had an “upgrade” to a verandah cabin right under the door from the Lido to the back deck. Noisy? Youbetcha. People going in and out the door, women walking in high heels, people scooting tables and chairs around, sometimes in the wee hours, and after all that commotion is over, the crew is up there at dawn hosing off the pool deck. Not only is it noisy, but there is an instant waterfall from above onto your balcony.