Poll Position: Bending the Rules (or Not)

May 15, 2012 | By | 9 Comments

Maybe it’s just us, but as often as we hear complaints about deck chair hogs, kids infiltrating adult areas and a slew of other cruise-related gripes, we were a little surprised by the results of a recent Daily Poll in which we asked our readers to confess which cruise rules they’re prone to break.
What we asked: Which cruise “rule” do you most often break?
What they said: Surprisingly, a whopping 67.3 percent of the 4,321 poll responders claimed not to break rules at all. Another nearly 27 percent said they sneak alcohol onboard, while a combined 5.88 percent said they either hog deck chairs or allow their kids into adult-only areas.
What it all means: Of course, these results represent only a small sampling of Cruise Critic readers, but it seems that our lot is a rather law-abiding bunch — a bit boozy maybe, but law-abiding nonetheless. And thankfully, that deck chair hog you railed off on during your last sailing probably wasn’t Bobby from the boards.
Vote in today’s daily poll here.
Check out cruise deals for all lines here.

Comments

9 Responses to “Poll Position: Bending the Rules (or Not)”

1. Lim Yi
      May 16th, 2012 @ 10:33 am

I took my kids to the adult-only solarium on an RCI cruise as it was windy on the deck. I am happy that The crew did not stop me. There were other kids too and their parents made conscious efforts to ensure that the kids behaves. I feel that as long as one is aware that one is in an adult-only area and play by the rules, it should be fine. The crew should step in to evict anyone who is not doing so.

2. gregory
      May 18th, 2012 @ 3:12 am

I booked a cruise and it was my fast to say the least, I was bending all the rules lol. I had no choice.sometimes it just happens and you have to break the rules.

3. terry 5681
      May 18th, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

The area states Adults Only & it should be respected. we’ve all had kids & maybe when they grow-up, you just want to be able to swim & sunbathe in peace. kids in diapers have no business in an adult pool. I’m paid my dues with having kids & am entitled to enjoy my vacation!

4. Carl
      May 18th, 2012 @ 5:26 pm

Why break the rules? I follow the rules. I was tought that. You play be the rules. If adults only then adults only. No tee’s in dining room, then no tee’s

5. Cruiser from Maryland
      May 19th, 2012 @ 8:23 am

Only 4.58% hog deck chairs? Thought it would be a lot higher than that.

6. Linda M.
      May 19th, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

If you are in an adult only area, that is what it means, ADULTS ONLY. Lim Yi that means you are doing wrong by taking your children in that area. Even if no one says anything it does not mean that they aren’t upset at you.

7. Ray Ban Aviator
      May 26th, 2012 @ 2:53 am

Only 4.58% hog deck chairs? Thought it would be a lot higher than that.

8. Mariefrance
      June 5th, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

I get SO annoyed when I’m trying to get some nice quiet time at the “adult only” area only to discover that a bunch of kids have taken the area over. Even worse is parents with babies in diapers. ADULT ONLY means ADULT ONLY. Please respect that, just because people are too polite, too shy or too scared to say anything does NOT mean they approve of your kids being there.

9. Peter miles
      June 13th, 2012 @ 8:22 am

Marie, that’s really interesting. I have also faced a similar predicament such that i imagine cruises should be labelled adults only or something. What kids see on some cruises is just illegible.