Chair Hog + Crowded Ship = Deep-Seated Anger

April 15, 2012 | By | 32 Comments

Smokers on the next-door balcony, drunks in the hallway, bloodstains on the duvet … JinxyB saw it all on a recent Carnival Liberty cruise in the Western Caribbean, and it’s all engrossingly recounted in one of our Reviews of the Week. But our heads really started to spin at this part of the tale: “I was looking for ONE chair around 8:30 the first sea day. I see an entire tier of chairs with towels on them. I move aside one towel and this belligerent woman comes from nowhere and says those are her chairs and she is saving them for her party of 20! I told her she can’t save chairs and I will just sit there until here party shows up-she glared at me until I left. I never saw her party of 20 using those chairs.” Saving chairs for a party of 20? Come on, people. Please. Don’t. Do. That. Read the full review here — and buckle your seatbelt. For her efforts, JinxyB — along with It’sASmallWorld, Bushy H, 69spartan and partyelf — receives a Cruise Critic over-the-shoulder travel bag.
Curious about Norwegian Pearl? Diamond Princess? See all of this week’s chosen reviews.
Don’t just sit there: Share your perspective, and write your own review.
Don’t miss a thing: Get your own Lido Deck subscription.

Comments

32 Responses to “Chair Hog + Crowded Ship = Deep-Seated Anger”

1. Lily Pad
      April 15th, 2012 @ 4:40 pm

A party of 20???? I already hate chair hogs, but that is just insane! I would have welcomed that woman to stand there and stare at me all day, if she liked. I would read my book & order a drink right in front of her, not paying her any mind. LOL.

2. Mary Douglas
      April 15th, 2012 @ 6:47 pm

Just another set of reasons why I won’t sail on Carnival. I would have probably jumped ship if I had to endure that much bad behavior. Doesn’t upper management understand that not everyone on board wants a Walmart type cruise?

3. Linda
      April 15th, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

I just KNEW it was a Carnival ship before I even read it!!! LOL

4. sharona19
      April 15th, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

she should have called over a Carnival employee and called the other “lady’s” bluff. After all – she did offer to relinquish her chair of her 20 friends showed up!

5. Candy
      April 15th, 2012 @ 8:59 pm

Could have happened on any cruise line!!!

6. Scott Lara
      April 15th, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

I was on Carnival Fascination March 19 2012. Several chairs were
      eserved at 8:00 am. Very sad that people do that. Scott

7. Carolyn
      April 15th, 2012 @ 9:10 pm

I also knew it must be Carnival. I have sailed all the major cruise lines and sorry to say will never sail Carnival again. Yep they are the Walmart of cruise lines. Lol

8. jean
      April 15th, 2012 @ 9:12 pm

Alright Carnival haters I really don’t think this just happens on their ships. I for one hate chair hogs but that’s no reason to say bad things about Carnival.

9. Dan
      April 15th, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

Everyone save chairs for their families, I do not consider this chair hogging. Maybe you just have to get up a little earlier to get your chairs. On my last cruise people were coming down to the pool deck at 12:00pm and wondering why they could not find a seat.

10. RickH
      April 15th, 2012 @ 11:22 pm

It happens on all cruises.

11. Bushy
      April 15th, 2012 @ 11:56 pm

I have to say while on the NCL Epic in the suites portion there was a couple who showed up every sea day and put towels down in the courtyard in the front row. I don’t know if they had a suite or if the Epic had sold them slots to non-suite guests, but that was absolutely disgusting to me, we are not around the main pool area and pay not to have to put up with this bad behavior. No it did not impact me personally my husband and I use that area before anyone gets up and out.

12. Audrey
      April 16th, 2012 @ 12:25 am

I can see if you are sitting down and saving a few chairs, or saving a couple while you go get a meal, but 20 is crazy. I’ve sailed on 5 different cruise lines, and I’ve seen stuff like that happen on all of them. On a sea day, I even got up one morning at 0500 and went on the deck all bundled up to finish my nite up there! (i’m a night owl so 0600 am is still nightime!)

13. Bradley
      April 16th, 2012 @ 1:00 am

OMG. I read the whole review. What a whiner. While I agree with the chair hog bit, the rest shows a person who has a complete sense of entitlement. “I paid therefore I deserve everything to be the way I want things to be.”

Next time, I hope the person decides not to book during Spring Break or any other time there are other people on the cruise. They might just be happy then. No one else will interfere with their good time.

14. Kate
      April 16th, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

I discovered on my first cruise how to avoid the whole deck chair issue- PAY FOR A BALCONY and enjoy your own private chair in the sun!

15. mitzi
      April 16th, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

I don’t think this person is whining, just expressing their disappointment with aspects of their cruise. They did have positive things to say, too. She obviously did not get the Family vibe from Carnival, which could be a consequence of the spring break time frame, but maybe that’s the only time they can cruise? They paid for a forward balcony to avoid smoke and were unable to enjoy it. I would be mad too! Especially woken up at 3AM by drunks in the hallway! That is not MY idea of a vacation! Bloodstained linens are gross-would you want to sleep on that?!

16. Laurie
      April 18th, 2012 @ 3:13 pm

I’m in my late 30s and have sailed RC and HAL and have NEVER encountered chair hogs. I think this chair hog problem does have a lot to do with the cruise line you sail.

17. George
      April 18th, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

My family was on the Carnival Dream recently and my review of the cruise was the worse I have written and my wife and I were on our 38th cruise. Carnival has all kinds of rules in place but enforce NONE of them except keeping kids from hanging out in the casinos. Chair hogging, smoking areas, saving seats for shows, kids in the hot tubs, etc., etc. They have cut back on employees to the point where there is no one to police anything.

We had several other complaints also but won;t bore you with all the details. Just suffice it to say that, our 10th Carnival Cruise may very well be our last.

And to the one that says they haven’t seen it on RCCL or HACL just wasn’t looking. It happens on every cruise line (other than the very upscale lines), it’s just worse on some than others.

18. Craig Cannon
      April 18th, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

We have made 20 cruises altogether and have yet to encounter anything like I have seen here. I have never cruised on Carnival and don’t feel like I have missed anything at all! 9 of our cruises have been on Princess and can’t really complain!

19. Iris
      April 18th, 2012 @ 7:44 pm

We have sailed 22 times on Celebrity, Princess, and Royal Carribbean and Norweigan combined. There were chair hogs on every cruise. The worst group of people were on a Royal Carib cruise during a Winter break. Kids running wild all night long with security trying to catch them without luck, teens throwing food over inside balconies over the promenade, kids in hot tubs with babies in diapers, teens pushing and shoving each other and into passers by and riding elevators , as they lay spread across the floors hitting all the buttons all night long. It was not the cruise line…it was the lack of consideration on the passengers/parents. The crew could not wait for the cruise to end and these yahoos to get off.

20. Christine
      April 18th, 2012 @ 9:55 pm

It does not matter what cruise line you use uou will encounter rude and ignorant people everywhere.They believe they are the only ones paying.

21. Blind rid
      April 18th, 2012 @ 10:13 pm

Combine whiner and wants an upscale experience on Carnival. It doesn’t happen that way. Crib – I’ll give it to you. Smoke on balcony, I won’t. Chair hog – give it to you but you need some bal*** to hold your own. Spring break noise – you picked it.

Princess won’t be any different if you want to complain.

I prefer NCL but all mainstreams are alike.

Pay the big bucks and go upscale.

22. Rich Pierpaoli
      April 19th, 2012 @ 10:04 am

Chair hogs are a pain. The pool staff on the Celebrity Solstice was great on our cruise to the Eastern Caribbean in March however. They would literally remove towels, magazines and bags from beach chairs if they were unoccupied for like an hour. Actually happened to us! We went in for lunch, a long lunch, and when we came out our stuff was gone and others were in the chairs. I asked a pool attendant about it and they quickly got us our stuff and helped us find new spots. That is the way to do it.

23. Toni
      April 20th, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

It’s so simple, really. The cruise lines need to empower and REWARD employees who enforce the rules and not let the job fall to the rest of us. Diapers and non-toilet-trained children in pools/hot tubs (including family pools, where they DON’T belong according to policy; they only belong in “splash zones”) is my personal peeve because it affects health and not just comfort/fairness. But ALL the rules NEED enforcement.

24. Uncle Dave
      April 20th, 2012 @ 4:57 pm

I refuse to travel ANYWHERE Spring Breakers are! I found that you will almost always find what you are looking for….noisy drunks during Spring Break and reasonable quiet and relaxation most other times. I do like that I can get a better room on Carnival for the same money. We normally have a mini-suite or decent balacony and have ALWAYS received excellent room service by simply treating the room steward with respect. You will find miserable people everywhere and on any cruise line…so we prefer to ignore them and focus on the fun we are having. We have some awesome memories and pictures from our cruises and 2 more booked already…best bang for the vacation dollar!

25. Buddypup
      April 20th, 2012 @ 5:56 pm

I don’t know if it is that ship or what, but two years ago we sailed on it and had the same experience. Due to that fact I avoid Carnival at all costs. It may be cheaper but I guess you get what you pay for. Although, we did sail Carnival Sensation this past fall and it wasn’t as bad. The other passengers and staff were better. This ship didn’t have gum under the tables on the lido deck as much as the other one.

26. Di
      April 20th, 2012 @ 6:43 pm

Chair hogs are on NCL and RCCL also!!

27. Betsy
      April 21st, 2012 @ 7:49 pm

It’s not just Carnival, folks! Happens on Celebrity too. Just came off a cruise on the Millennium and witnessed it first hand. Chairs with towels sat empty starting at 8AM and were still empty well after lunch! Really bad behavior, if you ask me – no matter what cruise line you are on. I really believe people should just start removing the towels and sitting there themselves. As far as I am concerned, if the cruise lines continue to condone this type of behavior, it will go on forever. It’s really too bad.

28. Carol
      April 23rd, 2012 @ 12:18 am

Here is a suggestion for Carnival about the smoking on the balconies. Why not make one side of the ship non-smoking balconies? Then all the smokers can be on one side and the non-smokers can enjoy the fresh ocean breeze on their side.

29. Karen
      April 24th, 2012 @ 11:45 am

What the cruise lines need to do to discourage this type of behavior is not lay out the chairs ahead of time. They need to manage it like a beachfront property. When you want a chair you go to a chair stand and the attendant retrieves your chair for you and places it where you want it. When you are done, you let them know and they retrieve the chair and put it back in the pile…..Then at least there is not obvious chair saving.

30. MaryLouLou
      May 8th, 2012 @ 1:22 pm

We just got home after a 14-day cruise on the Celebrity Constellation. I initially thought there was a log of chair hogging, then realized that the pool attendants were putting rolled-up towel on every chair early in the morning. The most sought after chairs were in the partial to full shade, but then most of the passengers were well over 55 (65?).

This was our 19th cruise,with most of the others on Princess, which I believe has lost a lot of it’s quality since Carnival bought it. It is true that you get what you pay for; however,so we have started to take longer cruises – 10 days or more. The cost per day is about the same or less, but the passenger are a bit older, better mannered and more respectful of rules, from reserving pool chairs to dress in the dining rooms.

31. sherry
      May 11th, 2012 @ 4:49 pm

chair hogs & rude people are on all cruise lines, in fact in all aspects of life & I think the ones downing carnival is some of the worst !!! I have been on several different lines & its basically the same problems on all, just different people.

32. Barry
      July 27th, 2012 @ 7:58 pm

My solution to chair hiogs is , I remove the towel & sit down with my book. If anyone shows up , I simply say , ” you went over the 30 minute limit.” When they object , I tell them to prove I’m wrong or go hog another chair.