Live From Celebrity Summit: Picture This?

February 13, 2012 | By | 9 Comments

Art is subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I’ve heard them all, yet I couldn’t help giving the side-eye to some of the masterpieces on Celebrity Summit, one of four Millennium-class ships reputed for their pieces. From creepy beaded busts to aluminum alien stools, some of Summit’s unsettling artwork didn’t quite jive with the new warm, contemporary decor introduced in the January dry-dock.

Bead Head. We posted a photo of strawberry bead head on Facebook a few days ago, and the majority of the over 100 commenters dubbed her “creepy.” I can’t help but agree – this super-sparkly head with the vacant stare and Chiclet teeth is a bit disturbing. Oh, and blonde, raven and brunette versions also grace a number of Summit’s mid-ship stairwells.
Dead Man on Deck. Every time I passed by this semi-prone statue, I was taken aback. It evokes images from crime shows like CSI and Law & Order. I mean, the guy just looks so helpless. I suppose the idea is that he resembles passengers relaxing poolside, but if I saw a fellow cruiser this zonked I’d be at least a little concerned.
Funny Man. He is laughing, but it sort of looks like he’s wailing in pain. This guy occupies a hall near Summit’s main dining room, so we got quite familiar with his demeanor. I’m pretty sure he’s supposed to be a happy little man, but sitting all alone in the corner of a large hall, he seems more depressed than jovial.
You want me to sit where? After walking by this gem a few times — thinking it was just an abstract sculpture of some sort – I finally peeked at the associated placard. To my astonishment, it’s actually a stool! That’s right, as in for sitting. Not only is it impossibly narrow, but it has an ultra-slick finish and slopes dangerously downward.
Follow Shayne’s reports from Celebrity Summit, including her take on watching the Super Bowl at sea and her musing on whether or not a Concierge-Class cabin is worth the extra price.

Comments

9 Responses to “Live From Celebrity Summit: Picture This?”

1. Debra Mc
      February 13th, 2012 @ 10:50 am

The “dead man on deck” reminds me of the fossilized human remains from Pompeii. There’s a lot of art I don’t get.

2. Carolyn
      February 13th, 2012 @ 11:37 am

I think the dead guy piece of art is in the wrong venue. It looks like someone that just crashed off their balcony and landed on deck. I love art but this is not it:(

3. ACruiseGuy
      February 13th, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

I encountered the Funny Man on my Summit cruise as well. Doesn’t he look like someone left him there by mistake??!!??

4. Brian
      February 13th, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

I’m always skeptical of art that claims to be art because \the art world\ says it’s art. Some of these pieces make me think, \I could have made something like that.\ But if I did, it would just look like crap, and would not be accepted by the art world. I admit that I couldn’t have made the stool, but I still think that the form should also have practical function, which from appearances it doesn’t. Don’t call it a stool. Just call it a scupture.

5. Sonya Sherow
      February 13th, 2012 @ 6:58 pm

For those that have more money then taste. Did I type that out loud….LOL!

6. elizabeth thiesen
      February 14th, 2012 @ 11:58 am

I have always loved the Summit-the only reason I haven’t been on her in a few years is because of the itineries-I absolutely loved the art deco inspired decor (I hope they haven’t changed that)-but to the point at hand, I don’t like ‘modern’ ‘out of the box’ ‘abstract’ artwork they had/have (except the sculpture, especiallt the women in the spa area)but I can appreciate the jutapostion of it with the beautiful decor-in fact I would roam the ship in the wee hours and take photos of all the exibits on the landings, etc.-be open to all on this gorgeous ship whether it appeals to you or not (I find the woman’s heads creepy also, but love the ‘dead man’ (who is not a dead man))-I so truely love this ship in comparison to all the glitz ‘vegas’ look of most ships on other lines

7. elizabeth thiesen
      February 14th, 2012 @ 12:06 pm

-I just hope the renovations are as good as the ‘old’

8. Kevin OConnor
      February 17th, 2012 @ 5:06 pm

The Funny Man looks like a guy in the Electric Chair. I will see him in April.

9. rosemary
      August 19th, 2013 @ 8:41 am

I completely agree! The “art” onboard was disturbing and insulting! We were shocked at the poor taste.