Video: Save With DIY Cocktails at Sea

February 6, 2012 | By | 10 Comments

New Cruise Critic member BermudaMopedGuy from Alabama is a fast learner. After just two sailings, the native of Tuscumbia, Al (birthplace of Helen Keller) already understands the value of Carnival’s Bon Voyage program. Smuggling hard liquor onboard is officially against The Rules. Pre-purchasing liters of gin, vodka and whiskey from the line is not. According to a Bon Voyage sales rep (800-522-7648), that liter of Absolut, which is delivered to your cabin on day one, will run you $60. Mix with some orange-guava juice or Sprite (you can bring soda onboard) and you’ve just made more room in the budget for shore excursions and souvenirs.
And some other tips … check out 9 ways to get free or cheap drinks at sea.
Watch dozens of other cruise videos, including a wild baby race on Disney Dream and late-arriving passengers sprinting to make the ship.

Comments

10 Responses to “Video: Save With DIY Cocktails at Sea”

1. Jim
      February 6th, 2012 @ 5:19 pm

Part of the fun of a cruise is having something different than what I have at home. Whisky and coke I can have at home. I like having the fancy drinks that are different. I just watch my intake – two or three, and I’m happy.

2. michele moore
      February 6th, 2012 @ 7:05 pm

you can get the refills for the drink glass he showed for a cheaper price. and he mentioned bringing on coke and they had gotten some rum, so they smuggled that on from port? I only saw 1 Bon Vouage bottle…we brought better juices on in our carry on and had 3 BV bottles. The dry packaged single serve juices are great to bring onboard.

3. Betty
      February 6th, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

We do both the Bon Voyage rum and drink tickets. We consider it prepurchased liquid refreshment. Also take advantage of free drinks at returning cruisers party and the farewell party.

4. TanyaE
      February 6th, 2012 @ 7:32 pm

Does anyone know if Royal Caribbean has a similar offering? All I can find on the website is wine.

5. Kristine
      February 6th, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

Wow, never knew this! thanks for the great tip!

6. Tyler
      February 7th, 2012 @ 8:59 am

I’m not that big of a drinker, so buying 2 drinks a day for me isn’t really breaking the bank, especially after paying thousands to get on the ship. And I’m on vacation after all, so I’d rather have someone else make the drinks for me. I have the opinion that if after getting onboard if I can’t afford to buy drinks or anything else, then I probably really shouldn’t be going on a cruise in the first place.

7. BermudaMopedGuy
      February 7th, 2012 @ 11:12 am

I don’t think that Royal Carribean has anything similar to Bon Voyage but I know that Norwegian does. We’re booked to sail aboard the Norwegian Star next year. Also, I like the prepaid drink ticket idea. I’m going to have to see if Norwegian offers that. My wife and I try to always book our cruises a year out. It helps us to get a better rate, great choice of cabins to choose from and we have the entire cruise, shore excursions and drink/souvenir allowance in place prior to setting sail. I can obviously afford to cruise but like to have everything that I can paid for in advance so that I don’t have to nickel and dime myself while on the ship and on shore. We of course purchase quite a few drinks while on the ship too. The martinis on the Carnival Pride were my favorite!

Please feel free to check out my other cruise videos too:

8. MarkSlagle
      February 7th, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

Personally, I don’t think the liquor prices on the ships are too steep. I like the idea of pre purchasing liquor that Carnival offers, but that is not enough to make me consider cruising with them. Royal Caribbean may not have bottle service, but they make up for it in many other ways!

9. Tom in long beach
      February 8th, 2012 @ 11:09 am

We always do bon voyage liquor for the room especially if we have a balcony.

10. Randall in nd
      February 14th, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

On our most recent cruise, we did see one guest filling a couple water bottles with orange juice in the lido restaurant during breakfast. We knew exactly what his / her plan was!!! Perfectly legal too. I agree, ice tea is not a good mixer. The Bon Voyage liquor purchase is a good idea. We might consider it next time around, even though I mostly drink beer. One more thing, tomato juice is included with room service, only on Princess, it comes with a bar charge.