Cruise Food Face-Off: Nobu vs. No Cooking

January 24, 2012 | By | 6 Comments

This week, two luxury cruise lines made special food-themed announcements. Crystal Cruises — which has had a partnership with master chef Nobu Matsuhisa since 2003 — announced that, during his annual sailing, Nobu will participate in a number of enrichment activities for passengers, including nightly appearances, a cooking demo, autograph signings and more. Several hours later, SeaDream Yacht Club unveiled a more permanent addition to its onboard dining rotation — a raw food menu.
SeaDream’s new menu, which is aligned with the so-called “living food” movement, will be available in addition to the line’s regular menu on all sailings aboard its two ships, SeaDream I and SeaDream II. Raw foodists eat only ingredients that are organic, vegan and never heated above 118 degrees. SeaDream’s optional offerings include such dishes as Vegetable Lasagna and Cashew Lemon Cheesecake.
While we’re sure Nobu’s 12-night Mediterranean sailing, which will undoubtedly integrate the Japanese-Peruvian fusion cuisine he’s renowned for, has wide appeal in the world of gourmet foodies, we’re curious how many cruisers (whether their preference leans toward luxury or not) would actually consider a SeaDream sailing for the raw food option.
Something to think about: Both Nobu’s May 2012 sailing and an 11-night SeaDream cruise sailing the Mediterranean in May 2012 will run you at least $7,000.

Hungry for more? Get the 411 on upcoming gourmet theme cruises.
Learn how to make your favorite cruise foods, from bacon mac ‘n’ cheese to lava cake, in the Lido Deck Test Kitchen.
Get your own Lido Deck subscription.

Comments

6 Responses to “Cruise Food Face-Off: Nobu vs. No Cooking”

1. Brian
      January 24th, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

What’s so special about 118 degrees? What happens to the food above that temperature?

2. Cruise Critic
      January 25th, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

@Brian, I’m definitely not an expert on the raw food movement, so I did a quick online search to find the answer. According to WebMD, “high heat leaches enzymes and vitamins critical for proper digestion.” So, I guess it’s just the magic number.

Shayne

3. Bob
      January 25th, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

I like to believe that I have an open mind, especially when it comes to food, but I’ve looked at dishes made from only raw ingredients at the french market here in chicago and it all looks grooooooossssssss.

4. Gena
      January 30th, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

Foods are cooked to rid them of dangerous germs such as salmonella. That requires temps higher than 118. Sounds like these radical raw food types need to seek more balance in their approach.

5. Roberto Prinselaar
      January 30th, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

Some raw food is delicious, such as the herring served in Holland. Sushi has many different flavors and is also very tasty. Cooked food such as an English boiled dinner is totally tasteless, but they make up for it with steak and kidney pie served in the pub lunch aboard the Sapphire Princess.

6. Dawn
      January 31st, 2012 @ 3:00 pm

When I think of raw food, I think of fresh salad and tacos (with the meat portion and shells the only cooked part), veggie and fruit trays with tasty dips. I don’t think I’d prefer anything more complex (can’t do raw fish for med. reasons), but also don’t think I’d shell out 7000 for a cruise that’s normal plus a raw menu. I think the chef being so intimate would make that one more worth it for me….but seriously still not 7000!? Haute cuisine’s not all THAT.