The Kate Gosselin Theme Cruise: You Have Questions, We Have Answers

January 11, 2012 | By | 70 Comments

kate-gosselin-cruise
What is it about Kate Gosselin that inspires such hostility? When we reported in this space on Monday that reality television star Kate Gosselin — she of “Kate Plus 8″ and “Dancing With the Stars” fame — has her own theme cruise, more than 45 percent of readers who voted in our poll said they’d cancel their cruise if she were onboard. Even if that cruise were on the largest ship in the world, Royal Caribbean‘s 5,400-passenger Allure of the Seas.
Given the rabid response of readers on the Lido Deck, Facebook and our message boards, we figured we should take a closer look and answer some questions that keep popping up.
Who planned this cruise? The partial ship charter is being organized by Luxury Cruises and Tours, a division of Alice Travel — a travel agency that has hosted other celebrity theme cruises, including the Paula Deen cruise. Royal Caribbean has not formed a partnership with Gosselin. The agency has bought group space on Allure’s August 12 sailing and can sell that space per its contract with the cruise line.
Who’s going on it? Charlene Failla, president of Luxury Cruises and Tours, told the Lido Deck that bookings for the Gosselin cruise opened on Friday and, so far, the company has received a “good amount of calls.” The largest amount of interest has come from single women and parents of multiples. Some of Gosselin’s famous twins and sextuplets may be cruising, too. Failla tells us that while Gosselin has expressed interest in bringing some of her kids onboard, she won’t decide which ones until closer to sailing. (You can just imagine the scene at home: “Eat your spinach or you can’t go on the Royal Caribbean cruise with mommy!”)
What if it doesn’t sell out? Will it be canceled? If you’re one of the 14 people who voted that you’d love to cruise with Kate, know that the theme cruise does not need to sell a minimum number of cabins to take place, and if existing space sells out, the travel agency can acquire more cabins. Plus, if you want to go to the Kate events but your travel partner does not, the cruise line can book one person in a cabin at the Kate rate (ranging from $1,900 to $3,175 per person, based on double occupancy) and the other at the regular cruise fare. If you’re comparing prices, note that the theme cruise rates already include all taxes, fees and gratuities — as well as the cost for the exclusive Kate Gosselin events.
But here’s the catch: If Gosselin cancels, you’re still beholden to the regular cruise line cancellation policies. Luxury Cruises and Tours will refund any Kate-related fees, but if you’re past final payment, you will have to pay typical penalties to cancel your sailing. Theme cruise star flakiness is not a covered reason under most travel insurance policies. So be sure you want to go on this cruise, Kate or not.
Won’t her presence impact the rest of the cruise, regardless of whether you’re part of her group? If you’re booked on this sailing and are worried about the effect of Gosselin’s presence on your vacation, you probably don’t need to be. Failla says that Luxury Cruises and Tours is experienced with celebrity cruises and will have appropriate security for Gosselin, with passes and badges required for all special events.
So what’s in it for Gosselin? Yes, Kate is being paid to appear on the cruise — receiving an undisclosed amount per person booked. Failla says celebrities usually donate the fees to a charity, but Gosselin has not revealed which charity she may be promoting on this cruise. Many of you will likely think the charity will be the Gosselin eight college fund….

Find out more about this and other theme cruises.
Interested in the world’s largest cruise ship? Read Cruise Critic member reviews of Allure of the Seas.

Comments

70 Responses to “The Kate Gosselin Theme Cruise: You Have Questions, We Have Answers”

1. fluffies
      January 11th, 2012 @ 1:46 pm

Love the term “star flakiness”! Nice to see a reasoned article about this issue instead of hysteria. I wouldn’t pay extra to cruise with Kate, but I wouldn’t cancel a cruise I wanted to go on because she was part of it. Live and let cruise.

2. Larry
      January 11th, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

Any one who saw Kate with Sarah Palin in the Alaska TV show, saw a spoiled wimp, who whines when she doesn’t like her surroundings. The look on Sarah Palin’s face when Kate was whining was priceless. If she has fans, they really don’t know her, or are just like her. In any case, good luck Kate. I will bet the blocked cabins do not sell out.

3. Stephen Graham
      January 11th, 2012 @ 3:47 pm

You have to pay extra to meet up with this airhead….. Hahaha I don’t think so.

4. angusm
      January 11th, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

hope she leaves all the kids with some else tell me why is someone famous because she has 8 kids did she not practice safe sex ???

5. Linda
      January 11th, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

She will take “some” of the kids…How fair is that to the ones left behind? That is sad!!

6. Ray
      January 11th, 2012 @ 5:25 pm

This has got to be a joke. Why lower yourself to Kate Gosselin Royal Caribbean? I can’t imagine paying extra, I would be switching dates if this was my sailing!

7. sherri
      January 11th, 2012 @ 5:52 pm

i wouldnt be on a ship with kate she would probably yell at u i cant stand her

8. TMcCarthy
      January 11th, 2012 @ 5:59 pm

I would jump overboard if I found out she was on the same ship as me. Can’t stand her…aren’t her 15 minutes up yet???

9. just me
      January 11th, 2012 @ 6:00 pm

Who in their right mind would want to pay for a perfectly good cruise and then have to listen to this nobody sit and whine and talk about how wonderful she is. She thinks the world owes her because she has children….”yeah Kate, children. The little people you should be home taking care of!” Her 15 minutes are well over, she now needs to fade away, just like her fake orange suntan should.

10. Judy
      January 11th, 2012 @ 6:01 pm

I agree with the one article; she’s definitely scraping the remnants of fame. To become a celebrity because you have 8 kids to me was already the most upside down reason there is. I watched the show twice because my sister was watching it but then to watch her whining and nagging and creating an environment where she thinks she’s the only one that matters was a huge turn off. NO WAY would I be stuck on a floating vessel with her onboard!! She would suck the enjoyment out and fast! I’d much rather cruise with people who are real.

11. Jo
      January 11th, 2012 @ 6:04 pm

She is NOT a celebrity, she is a flake who happened to land a show because she had a litter of kids. She is one ditzy blonde who is spoiled and gets her way. You could see that when she was to be camping with Sarah Palin. What a joke she is. I would not go to the corner to see her. She thinks she is one sexy dude, but she just looks cheap in all of her low neckline tops and short skirts and heels. Get Real Kate!

12. Tim Denehy
      January 11th, 2012 @ 6:05 pm

Why would anyone want to add more “inflation” to this lack luster reality star’s swollen head, than has already been given. She reaks with fakeness whenever I have been exposed to her TV stuff, we all love a “train wreck” (even those who say they dont do!) One wonders when this gals 15 mins is up, can only hope it is soon!
      A cruise with Kate, not likely!!

13. Deanna
      January 11th, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

With the way she ruined her marriage, she would certainly ruin a cruise. 4getabouther…!

14. Steve G
      January 11th, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

I have to wonder WHO would make it a point to spend that much money just for the ‘perk’ of being able to hang out with a money-hungry, child-neglecting reality show ‘star’ who wouldn’t even be on the radar if not for that nasty divorce and tragic appearance on DWTS. THIS is a role model? THIS is what some people admire? Kate should shut up, go home, get a real job and stop exploiting her poor children. I would NOT want to be on that cruise. I can just imagine the traveling circus that would be following her every move!

15. Alice
      January 11th, 2012 @ 6:18 pm

Please she just needs to go away.

16. JR
      January 11th, 2012 @ 6:26 pm

WHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT???? Are you serious if she was on my cruise I would jump overboard! Of course she would leave most of the kids home if not all. What does she havae to offer she is a selfish crazy bit– who needs to go away I feel sorry for the children she is a waste.

17. Lynne
      January 11th, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

Are you kidding me???? I would cancel a cruise if she was on it!!! Enough of her already…Go far away Kate.. The further the better!!!

18. Dave
      January 11th, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

I have no problem with anyone trying to legally earn income. Hey, these days, do what you gotta do . My issue with Kate Gosselin is that the major source of her income rests firmly on the backs of her kids.
      This woman desperately wants to become a celebrity, and it’s never gonna happen. Trying to gain fame and attention from pimping out little kids is cruel. Kate Gosselin, please get a real job, that doesn’t involve child exploitation.

19. Lisa
      January 11th, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

I’ve never taken a cruise but I swear I would jump overboard if I found out this woman was on the ship! Why would anyone in their right mind pay good money to share space with her. Kate needs to get a real job!

20. DJ
      January 11th, 2012 @ 6:57 pm

She needs to get a REAL job. I would cancel my reservation and/or jump over board as well. She is all about herself and everyone is so over it. I liked Jon better:)

21. Rose
      January 11th, 2012 @ 6:58 pm

Why are people wasting their time on this individual!!! She is a NASTY human being!!!!!

22. Steph
      January 11th, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

Pay extra to learn a craft??? You would have to pay me to be in the same vicinity as this woman. She is nothing without Jon. She ruined her own life by treating everyone including her kids like garbage. When her kids are old enough, they will leave her, too.

23. scarlette
      January 11th, 2012 @ 7:09 pm

Does anybody like her? She’s a jerk. Not only would I not pay extra (how insulting) but I would cancel and reschedule.

24. Shar
      January 11th, 2012 @ 7:09 pm

OMG…If this is RCC’s idea of interesting entertainment…I won’t be cruising with RCC in the future. What are they thinking ????
      I would cancel so fast if I were booked on this cruise !!!!

25. Pilar
      January 11th, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

This lady just needs to go away! Why would anyone want to go on vacation with her?? Seriously? Such a rude person with no respect for others and lacks class.

26. Thomas Nguyen
      January 11th, 2012 @ 7:14 pm

I definitly Cancel trip, I can’t stand this woman.

27. Andrew
      January 11th, 2012 @ 7:15 pm

Anyone who spends $3 grand for this trip is a masochist. Forget the Titantic, this is truly the voyage of the damned. Who was the marketing genius that dreamed up this little idea of a cruise ship to hell anyway?
      It’s like watching a horribly bad Love Boat episode, except that it keeps unraveling to the point where the ship has to sink, in order to have a happy ending.
      If the passengers don’t end up throwing Kate overboard, they will probably leap into the sea themselves, just to escape her.
      What’s next, white water rafting with Mackenzie Phillips???

28. Nathaniel Harrington
      January 11th, 2012 @ 7:19 pm

I am so sick to death of reality stars! So you took a bunch of fertility drugs & became pregnant with 8 kids. That is what happens when you take fertility drugs! NOW, if this had been done naturally, then I’d be amazed, and want to glimpse into her life.

A taste of fame & fortune has these D-list celebrities wanting more. Kate was undoubtedly the worst dancer I have ever seen on “Dancing with the Stars”.

As stated by Alice above, PLEASE… just go away! I do not wish any harm or ill will towards the woman, but enough already. Focus on getting those 8 kids raised to be caring, and productive adults. The pace Jon & Kate are going, they will have succeeded in raising drug addicted alcoholics. Yet more news for the paparazzi to exploit.

29. Tracey
      January 11th, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

Wouldn’t be caught dead on a cruise ship with her, period, end of story!

30. Shayla
      January 11th, 2012 @ 7:30 pm

There is no way I would be on any cruise with her or anywhere within a 10 miles radius of her or the kids. I boycotted her show and saw her when she was on Palins Alaska, could not stand her. Who the heck is she anyway other than a ragged out “so called” reality show person? She needs to just get a job like normal folks and quit living off the fame of having a bunch of kids.

31. Tammy Gearl
      January 11th, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

I would love to go on a cruise with my family if she would pay for it. I cant afford a cruise. Its been 4 yrs since my kids and I have been on a vacation :O(

32. honeychile
      January 11th, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

We inadvertently booked a “star cruise” last year and while parts were interesting, I wouldn’t knowingly do it again unless the star is someone of real interest. Examples of the “cons” of being a non-fan on a star cruise: (1) the library wasn’t available the whole cruise because that was fan-club headquarters; (2) the movie I was looking forward to seeing was replaced with a “free” concert which was awful; (3) lots of crowds and lines in unexpected places because fans were queuing up for one event or another. We wondered if maybe we enjoyed shorter lines at times because all the fans were elsewhere and that might be a plus; but it’s the only plus I can think of.

33. don cole
      January 11th, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

It’s really SAD.

34. Debra
      January 11th, 2012 @ 7:51 pm

I might go just to see her try to dance again. NOT!! I’m disappointed in Royal Caribbean, why would they assume this would sell rooms. Kate might be the most self centered mother ever, she has never put her kids best interest first. I’m tired of hearing her say I have to put my kids first and demonstrating the opposite.

35. Adul Johnson
      January 11th, 2012 @ 7:52 pm

What “extras” is she offering ?

36. Ana
      January 11th, 2012 @ 8:05 pm

Sorry, wouldn’t go if it was free if she were to be on the cruise.

37. Mary Fortin
      January 11th, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

Somebody actually watched that show with her and Palin? What the heck were yo thinking?

38. linda j
      January 11th, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

will not go on a cruise if that piece of garbage is there. I will not endorse or support her by going to that cruise. she needs to go away. I cruised many many times with RC but if they endorse that slime I will never cruise on RC again.

39. Lauren B
      January 11th, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

I love all of these comments and can only hope & pray the cruise ship reads them! Lets get Kate, the Kardashians (most especially Kim & Kris) and every other no-talent pseudo “reality” “star” on a cruise ship and sail them into the middle of the Bermuda Triangle to waste away…..speaks volumes for our society that trash like this can make hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of dollars while hard working Americans with stand-up morals struggle to feed their children….their children that they LOVE not exploit like these K women do!!

40. Anita P
      January 11th, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

NO WAY! Anyone who won would most likely be babysitting her kids while she got her tan on with her bodyguard!

41. Laura
      January 11th, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

I think Kate is a great mom!

42. Not for Kate!
      January 11th, 2012 @ 10:08 pm

I think she is just a money hungry lady that no TV station wants to have here on, thank god! She has nothing to offer, and she should focus on raising her kids and not making alot of money! Get back into nursing, raise your kids and be happy! Your character is a spoiled lady that thinks you deserve it all, and you really dont! What a waste of a very nive cruise! I would demand my money back! Just saying it as it is!!

43. kathy l
      January 11th, 2012 @ 10:18 pm

Wow, I wouldn’t book either, but you guys are harsh!

44. mimom
      January 12th, 2012 @ 12:12 am

If I found out she was on board I would get off at the next port-This woman is a fame whore.Her only claim to fame is she birthed 8 children and publicly emasculated her now ex husband.She and her security/boyfriend need to just go away.

45. Danielle
      January 12th, 2012 @ 12:22 am

Kate can stay at home, or better yet… Leave “real” people alone!

Don’t you get it??? No one cares about this idiot!

46. shirley
      January 12th, 2012 @ 2:34 am

McDonalds is always hiring. Get a real job Kate and stop sponging off your kids. Shame on you!

47. Lea
      January 12th, 2012 @ 2:52 am

I never watched her show, and she strikes me as rather pathetic, trying to cling to her questionable celebrity. I would never pay extra, but if I was booked on this cruise at its regular price, I’d go. The Allure is a very big ship with plenty of quiet places, I bet.

By the way, I wish somebody would pay me to teach them a craft. That part did make me laugh.

48. Terri
      January 12th, 2012 @ 8:25 am

Is this cruise line so desperate that all they can get is Kate Gosselin. I say good luck with that. I just don’t see it happening. The lady at the cruise line said they have received a lot of calls, but i notice she didn’t say bookings. Big difference. I can call to inquire about something, doesn’t mean i’m going to purchase said product.

49. Kari
      January 12th, 2012 @ 9:01 am

Kate is trying to maintain a lifestyle she achieved while making big bucks working on a reality show that she thought would go on forever. She needs a reality check. Downsize that ridiculous home, sell the flashy 2-seater car, stop spending insane amounts of cash on tanning, haircuts, extensions, coloring, manicures, etc. She also spends excessive amounts of money on clothes and shoes for herself. And how about what she must be paying Steve to gallavant all over with her. I should say that the two of them are a perfect couple though, both do everything possible to spend as little time with their families as they can. She is now desperate to do anything for a big paycheck to rise above mediocraty. She will also never bring her kids. When the spots don’t sell, they will release a rumor that the kids are going to see if they can \make some money off the kids\. Then at the last minute, she will use some security excuse.

50. pamela coopee
      January 12th, 2012 @ 9:24 am

PLEASE. I WOULD RATHER BE ON THE TITANIC THEN BE TO BE ON BOARD WITH HER!

51. pamela cooper
      January 12th, 2012 @ 9:28 am

I take that back. put her on the Titanic!

52. Kim
      January 12th, 2012 @ 9:41 am

you can take it to the bank this self asbored fame whore wont be donating any money to anyone but her boobs and straw hair.

53. Joe
      January 12th, 2012 @ 11:03 am

You know, I would definitely pay to have Kate Gosselin, Octomom, Dog the Bounty hunter, Real housewives, Kardashians, that annoying progressive auto spokewoman, and the list goes on. then, i would book a cruise to somalia, somewhere nice right off the coast…

54. Bonnie
      January 12th, 2012 @ 12:05 pm

Today Kate Goslin; Tomorrow Disney cruises with Casey Anthony.

Come on Alice Travel, quit being so darn pathetic!

55. Laurel
      January 12th, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

All these negative comments should send a very clear message. People do not like Kate Gosselin and they certainly do not want to have anything to do with her. The one saving grace is she is no longer on TV!

56. Bill
      January 12th, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

She has nothing to offer she is not a celebrity and how cruel to tell some of your kids they can go and the rest they can’t. Why would anyone pay to do a craft project with her? That is all she has to offer a craft project and games she plays with her kids? Why is it we never see her play games with her kids? I only saw her yelling at them for being regular kids and getting dirty. I would also Jump over board if she was on the same ship.

57. Tom
      January 12th, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

Oh ya, I’m gonna plunk down a couple thousand for this trip. Royal Carribean should be paying me to book this cruise to hell, and listen to this woman whine about her life.
      Kate Gosselin is a nobody. Her kids are the ones who are responsible for the attention and fame that she so desperately craves. God help them.
      It is painfully obvious, on many levels, that Kate Gosselin is the only person on the planet who doesn’t think her 15 minutes of fame are over.
      She is clearly scraping the bottom of the barrel to make money. The only things remaining for this celebrity wannabe are to either do porn, or have a public meltdown of epic proportions, well beyond Casey Anthony or Charlie Sheen. I wouldn’t put it past her.

58. Sonia
      January 12th, 2012 @ 3:21 pm

Another cruise to cross off my list as possibilities for my vacation this summer.

59. Charity
      January 12th, 2012 @ 3:33 pm

I just love how people love to bash Kate Gosselin for how she “behaves,” yet have no problem misbehaving themselves. She may be a celebrity in the sense that she was on TV but she cares enough about her children nt to abandon them to run off and have a vacation that cost more than most people spend in a lifetime. The real spoiled one is not Kate but Jon who obviously has no idea what being a parent is! Bash him for a while and do not judge her until you have walked a mile in her shoes! I love Kate!!

60. Sephia
      January 12th, 2012 @ 3:54 pm

Ick, no way! And how much you want to bet that when she goes and leaves the kids behind she won’t let Jon have them at ALL, but rather leave them to her team of nannies.

Seriously, why have 8 kids if all you want to do is run away from them and use them as your money ticket. I feel so sorry for those kids with a mother like this. And I have 8 kids myself!

61. B.N.O.
      January 12th, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

I wish that Kate Gosselin would just quit trying to get everyone to like her the only reason i would even want to go on the cruise would be so her kids would have fun unlike on the T.V. show “Kate Plus 8″ I found that show really annoying becauseshe NEVER let the kids, especially Cara and Mady do anything that they would even consider “fun”. I think that the kids would LOVE a day to interact with other children their age instead of playing with their sisters and brothers all day long! Plus they would be able to make some new friends.

62. Vera in CA
      January 12th, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

Okay,let me get this straight — this is the same ship where a teen was raped less than a month ago? No freaking thanks. Plus I think the Allure is one of the ugliest “giant ugly box with a hull” ships I’ve ever seen. I wouldn’t travel on it anyway. If you want to rock climb, ice skate, etc. GO somewhere where it’s REAL!

63. Jen F
      January 13th, 2012 @ 9:17 am

I might not book that particular cruise since I know it advance that she is going to be on it. I would say it would be more because there might be security considerations and perhaps her group might have special events scheduled that could take up spaces/times in certain areas that other guest might like to be. You might not have the “run of the ship” as much as usual. If I were already booked and discovered she would be on the cruise, I might avoid her events but I would not cancel. After all, it is my vacation too.
      As to people who have complained about her whining and being a spoiled brat and a big attention whore with a fake tan and straw hair, if you have never seen anyone like this on any other cruise you must not be paying attention to your fellow cruisers.
      Yes, she made a choice to take fertility drugs. Yes, she has eight kids by her own choices. But raising 8 kids must be crazy expensive and if her TV show and endorsements get her kids what they need? Well…. I am not in her shoes so I won’t judge. I didn’t watch her shows. They just didn’t interest me.
      Anyhow, if you would jump overboard just because a fellow passenger whines and acts like a spoiled attention whore- you might not want to cruise period.

64. Paula
      January 13th, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

Kate is not a celebrity. She is an adulterer, been involved with her “body guard” long before she told her husband the marriage was over. Kate does only for Kate. What one person needs 3 vehicles, including Audi Sports car, Mercedes van, and SUV. She can only drive one at a time. Kate is her own center of the universe. She can’t get away from home and her kids fast and often enough. Any event she goes to requires extras away so she can Steve have plenty of alone time.

65. Travel Bliss
      January 14th, 2012 @ 10:54 am

Kate who ????

66. Scam ... or desperation. Can't decide.
      January 14th, 2012 @ 11:33 pm

The writer needs to do some research, because this statement is not true: “If you’re comparing prices, note that the theme cruise rates already include all taxes, fees and gratuities — as well as the cost for the exclusive Kate Gosselin events.” No, if you want to participate in some random craft/family game instruction from Kate, you have to pay an ADDITIONAL $700.

67. Kim
      January 18th, 2012 @ 2:23 am

I have no respect for this woman, she tore her own family apart so she could make the children keep working making her money.Jon loves those kids & only wanted what was best for them but KATE wanted & did continue to use them for money. It’s so sad that she did that, broke the family up & made the kids continue to work. No vacation’s, all work & that is plain & simple. Good people will not be apart of anything kate gosselin is a part of. Kate is the perfect example of why some people should NEVER have children or be married. Glad I was not signed up, I would have canceled! Some of the kids? OMG! How sad, even if all of them she will still be using them for income. She is a train wreck & so is her bodyguard of a boyfriend, married man at that & she is going on a cruise with him! Go figure, we all know they are together & now on a cruise together, it’s sick & disgusting.

68. r. richards
      January 21st, 2012 @ 4:53 pm

i’m amazed thatsome 50 something people found the time to criticize kate gosselin with the drop line \her 15 minutes are up\ who says?/ and on what evidence?? they quote facts which anyone really interested in the gosselin saga knows are only made up stuff. it’s fine for ne for them to go at it. NOBODY gives a darn if they can’t enjoy a cruise on a ship with more than 4,000 people because one woman is somewhere on the ship. they need help.

69. Bill
      January 28th, 2012 @ 7:41 pm

Kate, please go away!!!!!!

70. gramma s
      May 10th, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

…What if it doesn’t sell out? Will it be canceled? If you’re one of the 14 people who voted that you’d love to cruise with Kate, know that the theme cruise does not need to sell a minimum number of cabins to take place….

WEll, ummm it didn’t sell enough as they expected so now it is cancelled. hahahahaha