9 Ways You Know You’re Addicted to Cruising

December 27, 2011 | By | 31 Comments

Welcome to Cruisers Anonymous, where we don’t judge — but we do dispense prizes to those who tell us about their obsession with at-sea travel.

Her name is Kelly, and she was selected at random from the over 250 cruise junkies who participated in Cruise Critic’s “You Know You’re Addicted to Cruising When…” contest. How does Kelly know she’s hooked? “When you’re on a first date and the first question you ask is … do you like to cruise?” she writes. “And his answer decides if you date him or not!”
Kelly will be taking home a terry cloth robe and some assorted Cruise Critic logo paraphernalia for her bravery.
While there is no known cure for cruise addiction, symptoms vary wildly. Here are nine of our favorites:
You know you’re addicted to cruising when …
  • You install a porthole in your bedroom at home with the glass painted with a seascape. –Richard Shoaf
  • You name your kittens Carnival, Disney, Royal, Norwegian, Celebrity and Crystal. –Bulett
  • You go through withdrawal, complete with physical symptoms — sea legs, uncontrollable depression when there isn’t another cruise booked, and desperation for another cruise that causes you to stalk the ports in your home state. –Mary Hirose
  • You stand on your balcony (backyard deck) every night at about 5:30 p.m. for a sail-away party, even though it is snowing and 5 degrees below ZERO! –Bill Raffel
  • When you start thinking “starboard” when you turn right and “port” when turning left while driving. –Hideki Yamada
  • Your adult children stage an intervention! Unfortunately it didn’t work. –Linda
  • You tattoo a ship on your arm. –Ann
  • You measure everything in number of cruises … as in, “that car is expensive. It costs 22 cruises.” –WinnipegCruiser
  • You’re at the local pub, the bartender hands you your margarita and you hand him your sea pass card! –Rob
  • Unburden yourself: Tell us how you know you’re addicted to cruising in the comments section.

Comments

31 Responses to “9 Ways You Know You’re Addicted to Cruising”

1. Cameron
        December 27th, 2011 @ 4:49 pm

Royal caribbean’s logo tattooed on your leg.

2. Julie
        December 27th, 2011 @ 5:24 pm

My mom and I have the royal Caribbean logo tattooed on our ankles, there is a picture posted on one of the blogs. Loyal to royal!

3. Huw
        December 27th, 2011 @ 5:34 pm

My car registration is P80 HUW (P&O Huw) !!!

4. Leona Lucente
        December 27th, 2011 @ 6:12 pm

When you go shopping for new clothes and you will not buy it if it it isn’t wrinkle resistant, does double duty, and takes up very little space in a suitcase.

5. DrKoob
        December 27th, 2011 @ 10:54 pm

Too funny. Especially the one about counting thing how many cruises they cost. We do the same thing but since we are the Martini Mates who met on Celebrity’s Infinity in the Martini Bar we say things like, “Wow, a ticket to that concert is more than 10 martinis.”

6. Barbi Henry
        January 3rd, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

I can appreciate the withdrawal issue. I get really depressed if I don’t have the next cruise booked before I get off the ship from the last one. Right now I do not have the next cruise booked and need to be looking for a 12-step program.

7. Barbara Watson
        January 3rd, 2012 @ 2:43 pm

Start getting itchy, so i guess i need a fix, so call my agent, and say book one. Even though we have one booked, we still need one or two before the big one gets here.

8. Kathy
        January 3rd, 2012 @ 3:31 pm

I am with Leona! When I go shopping for clothes, I think, this will go well with my warmer port cruise and this will go well with my colder port cruise. I also ask, ” Can I wear this to multiple dinners, by dressing it up or down?”

9. Gerry Reyes
        January 3rd, 2012 @ 11:49 pm

When the walls of your cubicle at the office are covered in pictures of cruise ships, you have the model of a cruise ship on your desk and your desktop picture is a cruise AND you send your friends and colleagues information about upcoming cruise offers… but you´re nither a travel agent nor work in the cruise industry!

10. Kevin
        January 4th, 2012 @ 10:29 am

When you’re planning your next cruise while still at sea.

11. mary wilson
        January 4th, 2012 @ 4:09 pm

When you open your computer every morning, and first don’t check your emails, insead check to see if there’s a Cruise Critic review of your next ship!! Then check for one on your last ship! Have colour pictures of the 20 ships you’ve sailed on since 1956 on the wall facing your bed. And framed pictures your grandchildren drew when they were seeing you off in the 80s and 90s. So agree with previous writers about buying clothes!!! Packable and uncrushable. Want to go on every single one of the offers from cruise companies – but prefer repositioning – even when you have to fly home! And they are cheaper! When you choose your over-75 friends by whether they say ‘how are you’ or ‘which ports did you do’! Would rather do two cruises on lowest with a window, than one with a balcony!!!!! Because you love to look out AT the ocean, not down on to it – well, maybe its because that’s the one you can afford. Cant wait to try Celebrity Century in March, even though you have loyalty cards for four other lines!!!!

12. Linda S. Knopke
        January 4th, 2012 @ 4:16 pm

I live minutes (lucky me!) from the Port of Tampa and every time a ship is in and my work schedule allows (I actually try to arrange my schedule around the ships’ departures!)I take my dog and go to the pier to wave to all the cruisers! (along with other addicted wavers!) This time of year, we have 4 ships in at least 4 days a week! There is something so majestic about watching these beautiful ships glide out to sea and it makes me happy to see all the smiling faces and waving hands of these lucky folks as they embark on the best vacation ever! It is the next best thing to being on a cruise! Addicted to cruising and waving! You bet!!! Lets see, Carnival’s Paradise is in tomorrow! See you at the Pier!

13. Janet
        January 5th, 2012 @ 8:12 am

You study deck plans of ships you haven’t sailed, hoping to book on that ship one day. It’s been a year since our last cruise and I’m itching to go again soon.

14. Sandy Hopkins
        January 5th, 2012 @ 8:59 am

We have two ships in Baltimore (Enchantment and Pride, been on both), but I ride by whenever I can. You know you’re hooked when your co-workers’ main question to you when they see you is: “Plan any cruises lately?” 25 and counting! On dating sites, my first question is: “Do you like to cruise”?

15. Becky Lovell
        January 5th, 2012 @ 9:41 am

Cruising is running away from it all…leaving it all behind…really!…work, kids, parents, daily chores, laundry, ironing, irritating people, friends and all their troubles, family and all their troubles, traffic, driving, cooking, washing dishes, the alarm clock…etc. Cruising is a time for ultimate rest, relaxation, and no alarm clock! Yes…I’m a cruise junkie!

16. Bushy
        January 5th, 2012 @ 9:49 am

My husband is known as the “cruise guy” everyone calls or visits his office to ask about cruises or other travels. We “donate” all our cruise books (we get one or two extra) from a previous cruise and leave them in the break room. We were the only ones who cruised and now six co-workers have now taken cruises. Of course he pimps Cruise Critic to anyone within hearing distance.

17. Nancy
        January 5th, 2012 @ 10:29 am

I thought I might have a real problem but after reading the above I know I am just a victim of CAS (Cruise Addiction Syndrome). Like all syndromes, CAS, has a list of possible symptoms including,but not limited to the following:
        Price Comparison – (measuring the cost of a new item
        by the # of cruises you could
        purchase instead)
        Difficulty in If an item of clothing is not travel
        Clothes Shopping. worthy (lightweight & wrinkle free)
        and multi-functional it cannot be
        purchased. Also you can
        experience an overwhelming
        desire to buy an item fitting your
        criteria even if your don’t need it.
        Depression/Mania. Bouts of serious depression if your
        next cruise is more than 3 months
        away. Also a super high after
        booking that compelles you to
        contact all your cruise friends.
        You will have a big cheesy grin and
        be talking a little louder and faster
        than normal.
        During this manic period AVOID
        shopping!
        Unnatural Attachment Luggage is kept partially packed
        To Luggage. and beside bed “just in case”. You
        never know when a reduced, last
        minute cruise will pop-up online.
        Cruiser Aura. This is very hard to idenify in
        yourself, but if you’ve ever had a
        casual acquaintance or a friend-
        of-a-friend contact you for cruise
        advise, you probably are victim.
        So I guess I’m not a lone CAS affected person and after reading your posts, am not going to seek medical intervention. I am going to be proud of my condition and acknowledge the blessing it is to be able to see the world!
        Happy travels, y’all!

18. Nancy
        January 5th, 2012 @ 10:36 am

Good luck reading the above. I don’t comment often and didn’t realize my writing would not copy as typed. Columns do not appear so subtitles are meshed in with sentences.
        Live and learn.

19. Stanley( Flamingo)
        January 5th, 2012 @ 11:24 am

I keep hearing kids running up and down the corridor when I am in bed and we don’t have any kids or have a corridor or hallway

20. ammagic
        January 5th, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

Don’t think it’s a problem but I look for ships leaving the day I return. Just trying to save the transportation money getting back and forth to the pier. OK, maybe it’s a slight problem.

21. Barb
        January 5th, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

My friends call me for the best cruise deals because they realize I know them all.

22. peggy and john smith
        January 5th, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

we are guilty of all the above–leaving feb 6th on southern caribe—will be our 65th—but, we have been guilty of all of that long before i even knew about cruise critic–i love cruise critic—in fact, my guy at carnival tells me that 1/2 of what he knows about carnival comes from cruise critic and his clients like us—don’t see how you can do one a year–i’d go nuts—we’ve been on as many as 7 in one year—the secret (which is really no secret, just common sense) we book the cheapest inside cabin on board—and, no, we are not cheap skates–we could go on crystal etc. but,i look at those prices and say, my god, we can go on x number of cruises for that–and, we choose the x number for a lot less money—i am truly addicted–aka, my email address—-and i do not want to be cured–so there!

23. Joe
        January 5th, 2012 @ 2:59 pm

We always have to have the next cruise in the hopper to avoid depression. Between cruises we save up all our spare change which we refer to as our cruise cocktail money.

24. Angela
        January 5th, 2012 @ 6:53 pm

One knows that they are cruise addicts (CAS´s)…if their coffee table, end tables and patio table are tiled in HAL Delftware tiles, are collecting to do the bathroom…and have redocrated the house in blue and white to match the tiles.

25. Gary
        January 5th, 2012 @ 7:35 pm

While there is nothing as relaxing, yet exciting as being on a cruise and I hope to take advantage of cruise deals in a year when I retire, my wife and I love planning for the next one. There is something special about going through the many cruise line magazines with my wife envisioning that next great trip! This June we will be on our first river cruise! Love it.

26. Joyce
        January 5th, 2012 @ 8:53 pm

Planning on retiring to Florida because it has so many cruise ports.

27. Dee
        January 6th, 2012 @ 10:24 am

When you cruise the cruise sites and find a great repositioning deal to Spain, send it to your friends and 4 of them book before you do (cause you’re the expert!)

28. Yvonne Stewart
        January 13th, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

When you go around trying to convience your friends and family, (who have never crusided)that a cruise is the best vacation to take and that you can go with them to show them the ropes.

29. Mary
        October 21st, 2012 @ 12:20 am

You know you’re addicted when: Instead of a chimney you have a “Whale Tail” on your house! ;)

30. franz chong
        June 30th, 2014 @ 1:40 am

Doing the Math comparing other kinds of holidays elsewhere that are available for similar money but ultimately going back to cruising.We have two ships in our home.My Model of the Pacific Dawn and a Gold Sailing Ship.

31. Courtney
        September 24th, 2014 @ 7:50 am

I am the Enabler, my boyfriend is the addict! He has his phone set on this “seascanner” site where he watches people on their cruise, he especially loves departure days. If there was “Cruise Jeopardy”, he’d win. If you name a ship from ANY line he can tell you the year it was built, tonnage, itinerary, and, since he looks at pricing daily, what it would cost. He can tell you the day it departs, and if it always goes to the same place or if it rotates weekly. I would say about 80% of all emails he gets are about cruises. When people come over, he greets them with frozen drinks as steel drum music plays in the background. People always say our yard reminds them of being on a cruise. Depression sets in at about the 6 month mark if he doesn’t have one booked.