Curses! Readers Sound Off on Foul Language at Sea

December 20, 2011 | By | 14 Comments

“I care what my kids hear, and I don’t want them hearing f-words,” Jim Roscovius commented on our Facebook page, regarding a recent blog post on Carnival Liberty’s hits and misses. (One of the misses was on-deck f-bombing by a D.J. who played unedited music while small children were nearby.)
The decent number of responses we received made us wonder whether this is a widespread problem onboard. And, because we agree that the Lido Deck is no place for crazy language in the presence of children, we were a little shocked to see that a large number of people who commented didn’t exactly share Jim’s sentiments.
While some Facebook posts chastised the D.J. for his song choices, others seemed to downplay the issue by claiming that type of language is heard everywhere.
Cortney Bloom says, “I heard that word in the 4th grade and hear it ALL the time in public…” Martha Fields reinforces that idea with her thought that “Children hear all sorts of things riding a school bus as well as in school with their friends. IMHO adults would be horrified at what the children know.”
Meanwhile, Jive Talkin Fool couldn’t fathom why someone might be upset about something as simple as a word: “…seriously? The F-word? That’s what everybody has their knickers in a twist about, is the F-word?”
Rachel DeFord-McDonough agreed, to a point: “I don’t understand why people are so offended by ‘foul language’. I grew up hearing it but the difference is, I KNEW not to say those words. If you teach your children the difference between right and wrong, there won’t be an issue.”
So, it seems, foul language is everywhere — and maybe we’re all too used to hearing it. Noted Mary Lou Snyder: “Because words like that have become commonplace, even accepted in today’s so-called music and in movies, too many people, including parents, have been complacent.” Steve McGovern agreed: “There’s too much crude language everywhere. Why not the Lido? We’ve become way too tolerant of this behaviour.”
While the debate rages on about how acceptable the F-bomb is on the Lido, one reader maintains her sense of humor about the subject.
“Oh god yes, FAR too much fowl language, everywhere you turn there’s talk of chicken, turkey, duck, even at times…shhhhhh…cornish game hen,” joked Tracey Mandell Steven. We appreciate her sense of humor.
What do you think? Is swearing a problem onboard? Do you have a related story of your own to share? Be sure to leave your comments below.
Read about other issues that get under cruisers’ skin, including camera hogs, credit card horror stories, kids in hot tubs, the death of cruise traditions and bad balcony behavior.
Get your own Lido Deck subscription.

Comments

14 Responses to “Curses! Readers Sound Off on Foul Language at Sea”

1. Kevin
      December 20th, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

You can say the kids hear it on the bus, or wherever, but the fact of the matter is, they generally learn it from the parents. IF the parents were intelligent enough to use words instead of cursing to make their point, the kids wouldn’t hear most of the words until well into their teens…..the parents would have to watch what the kids see also, of course. Heaven forbid that parents be parents nowadays…..

2. John Kennedy
      December 20th, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

I take cruising very seriously…. I like to have a seriously good time. I will laugh and joke around with my travel companions. I do however try to curb my ordinarily foul mouth whilst in the presence of my fellow guests. To some that isn’t enough. My Lee and I met a couple on the NCL Dawn during her 2007 Repo cruise. We were eating in Cagney’s, having what I thought was a pleasant though subdued conversation. A guest sitting at the adjacent table tapped the shoulder of Beth, the other guys DW, and smiled while asking if we’d mind keeping it to a dull roar–his EARS WERE STARTING TO BLEED. Sometimes I wonder if the folks who are so offended by the content and/or volume of the conversations of fellow guests should just stay in the cabins…better yet, stay home. A cruise is a place to have fun, relax and not worry about the ordinary stresses of life–like some ignoramus butting their close-minded head into where it don’t belong

3. Steven
      December 20th, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

When I cruise, which is once a yr, I have never heard any foul language within earshot of me. I travel with Celebrity and most people are quite civil and don’t raise a ruckus anywhere, at least where i am. Its acually news to me this is mentioned. Although at nightclubs and with the DJ, I have never been around it.

4. Tom Pecena
      December 20th, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

I don’t care to hear foul language. Like smoking and cell phones, foul language should be restricted to the privacy of one’s room. Especially if I’m paying extra (another sore topic) for a nice meal. I certainly don’t want it ruined by loud, rowdy behaviour and cursing. It’s dissapointing that the poster above thinks that the offended party should stay in their room when it should be the other way around. Mrs. Manners would be apalled, I’m sure, at such thinking. What if he had found the perfect, shady spot to nap on the promenade deck when someone came along with a boom box full of F-bomb laden rap music? Would he quietly go to his room so they could enjoy their music…or tell them to keep it down. We all know the answer. Profanity, as does all intrusive behaviour, has no place in public.

5. Randall
      December 20th, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

There is a time and a place for MOST everything but NOT cursing. It SHOULD be offensive to everyone.

6. Brian
      December 20th, 2011 @ 7:50 pm

My wife and I hear bad language everywhere, and we call people on it. Usually we politely ask if they realize that there are children present. Or, we have asked half-jokingly whether their mother would approve of such language. Those things are usually enough to get them to stop. If they’re beligerant about it, we tell them that we will call over the manager of whatever establishment we are in. That usually shuts them up.

7. Maria
      December 20th, 2011 @ 9:29 pm

I agree with Tom, keep your filthy language to yourself. Its a disgusting habit and Any decent human being shouldn’t have to be subjected to that. It’s offensive to have to listen to.

8. M.J.
      December 21st, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

Everyone has been raised in a different environment and everyone has their own opinions of right and wrong. Swearing is incredibly common. I agree that you shouldn’t use foul language around children, but you cannot dictate how the public needs to behave. If it personally offends you that your kids overhear foul language, then its your responsibility to remove your family from the situation, or involve management. CCL does have some fabulous kids programs, and though you wouldn’t want your kids in cruise-camp all day, CCL does has a reputation for being one big party.

9. david
      December 21st, 2011 @ 8:25 pm

I’m more concerned with children learning bad behavior from their parents. Examples in public areas include
      1. not washing your hands after using the toilet or urinal. (Ask Daddy if he washes after peeing!)

2. Not saying, “please” and “thank you”. (Watch to see if Dad and Mom do this in the dining room.

3. Having the attitude of rules are meant to be broken. (Watch Dad or Mom save chairs at the pool.)

10. randa
      December 25th, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

“Profanity is the use of strong words by weak people.”

-Anon

11. Helen
      December 27th, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

You are in charge of what you want to see and hear as well as that with your child. People will most likely respect your wishes if you let them know in a polite way that you do not approve of whatever is going on. Being a smartee or joking is not the way to let them know you disapprove. That is just being rude to them and it will get you more rude behavior. If they continue, you still must take the high road and remove yourself or child from it.

12. Dave d
      December 27th, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

I really can’t believe half the morons comments on here. I’m Australian and we use bad language as much ,if not more than most in the worls however there is a difference between having the choice of hearing this from a individual and be in a position of asking them to refrain than having it blasted to all in earshot from a speaker on a cruiseliner for families. For those that disagree – I hope for your childrens sake you never have kids.

13. Michael W
      December 28th, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

As I read these comments, it is partly the Cruise line they are cruising on. We never travel Carnival or NCL anymore because of attiudes and general behavior, especially during vacation times from school. Kids are what their parents are as others have indicated. We have never had a problem on RC, Celebrity, or Holland. Some people say that there is a time and a place everything, but cursing in vacation times with children is wrong and never right in public. I taught for 30 years in low social economic area. I have heard it all.

14. Ron
      January 3rd, 2012 @ 2:06 am

We were on the Celebrity Summit this past December. There was a very talented comedian/singer on the ship named James Stevens. I was bit shcoked though durring one of the main shows when his material became adult oriented (discussing prostitution, calling out people in the crowd with lewd or rude suggestoins & perpetuating racial stereotypes). My 11-year-old daughter was with us in the crowd. This was a main show, not an adults only show. So even on celebrity this sort of stuff can occur.