Is One of Cruising’s Best Views About to Disappear?

December 12, 2011 | By | 11 Comments

cruise-venice-port
Cruisers have long touted the transit in and out of Venice as one the most glorious in the world. Well, you may have to say “arrivederci” to it soon — if the city’s mayor gets his way. According to a report in the Daily Telegraph, Mayor Giorgio Orsoni is meeting with the head of the port authority this week to discuss plans to have ships dock at Porto Marghera on the mainland, a bus ride away from Venice’s scenery, instead of at the island city’s purpose-built cruise terminal. The proposal reportedly has the backing of Italy’s new environment minister.
Why the change? According to the move’s proponents, the wake caused by cruise ships is damaging the ancient wooden pilings and the mud banks on which Venice, Europe’s fourth-busiest cruise port, rests — and the number of ships visiting each year just continues to grow.
Find out everything you need to know about a Venice port call.
Get the Top 5 blog posts delivered to your e-doorstep every Monday: Subscribe to the Lido Deck.

Comments

11 Responses to “Is One of Cruising’s Best Views About to Disappear?”

1. Jeffrey
      December 12th, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

I count myself lucky to have seen it in August. It was a wonderful departure and the start to an amazing cruise.

2. michele moore
      December 12th, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

I guess if its causing that much damage it needs to be looked into and moved if needed.

3. Kari Jones
      December 12th, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

Have taken the departure from Venice and it was lovely! But the cruise terminal leaving with a Costa ship leaves alot to be desired!

4. Joleigh
      December 12th, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

Leaving Venice on a cruise ship is an experience not to be missed. Leaving just at dusk, in the waning pink light, in a line of 3 or 4 brightly lit ships, with the bells tolling over the city as you glide by St Marks Square, and the Doges’ Palace…I’m so glad I have that memory if they in fact have to move them. I had hoped to get the opportunity again…oh well…

5. Burt Bearden
      December 13th, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

Thank goodness we saw it this year in July, it was stunning. Can’t imagine going to the mainland, not great at ll.

6. Victor Poor
      December 14th, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

The wonderful view from the ship will be missed but I suspect the problems are very real and moving the ship terminal is a small price to pay for helping preserve such a beautiful city.

7. Dennis
      December 14th, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

I’m due to sail in June 2012 from Venice. Here’s hoping if they change the port facility, it isn’t like Bordeaux’s port ( Le Verdon ) Literally miles away from The city & vineyards. Couldn’t they just use less thrust on the engines to move more slowly away from the pier?

8. Brenda
      December 14th, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

We will be sailing into Venice in April, 2012. I hope that we will still have the opportunity of doing so before the change.

9. Tor Welch
      December 14th, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

It is a sad reality that the sea level is advancing on Venice no matter which grand projects they choose to spend millions of Euros on in a vain attempt to prevent it.

No matter what is – or is not – done to keep back the sea, Venice is doomed to eventually be under water.

It was truly beautiful to behold from the upper decks of a cruise ship, looking down on the Grand Canal and the square as you cruise by; but the time has come to say good bye to Venice, at least as a cruise destination . . .

10. Jackie
      December 14th, 2011 @ 8:59 pm

I have had the good fortune to have sailed out of Venice and I see where they are coming from, so I suggest arrive or depart a few (3+)days early or late. You can find affordable hotels etc on the LIDO ISLAND then buy a water taxi pass (also affordable)and cruise like a local. You can truly get a up close Venitian experience with lots of locals and some tourists. It is super easy to find your way around and because it is what the locals use it goes everywhere.

11. patperry
      December 15th, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

Leaving out of Venice is my #1 sail away… if it goes away…I’ll be glad I had the opportunity to experience it!