Live From Carnival Liberty: First Impressions

December 4, 2011 | By | 9 Comments

carnival-liberty-balcony
After just 24 hours on Carnival Liberty, I’m exhausted. (Waiting until the last minute to pack and then pulling an all-nighter to do so probably wasn’t the best decision I’ve ever made.) I’m slowly recovering from the effects of an early-morning flight, confusing embarkation and tracking down the list of venues Carnival has added as part of its fleetwide Fun Ship 2.0 initiative (but more on that later). The onboard atmosphere is lively and chic, and the dining options are intense, but at the moment, I’m smitten with one thing:
My balcony. I’m totally in love. A habitual cheapskate, I always thought anything more than an inside was a waste since I don’t spend much time in there anyway. A verandah virgin until now, I think I may have discovered why so many people insist balconies are essential. This is one crazy ship — music everywhere, lots of dancing, holiday decorations and lights that make me feel like I’m sailing inside of a pinball machine (which is a good thing by my standards) — and my balcony gives me respite when crowded elevators and pushy people at the buffet become too much to handle. It also provided a great view at sailaway and ensures I won’t have to deal with deck-chair hogs if I want some fresh air. That’s right. I have a balcony. A balcony! And it’s all mine. For a week.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m about to grudgingly leave it behind to go stuff my face with burgers at Guy’s Burger Joint, a brand-new onboard burger eatery, backed by Guy Fieri. The challenge: Eat at least four burgers in one sitting, thereby retaining my title of “Burger Girl.” Check back later today to see if I’m successful.
Have questions about Fun Ship 2.0? Post them in the comments, and we’ll do our best to get the answers while we’re onboard.
Find out what other cruisers think of Carnival Liberty with more than 600 member reviews.

Comments

9 Responses to “Live From Carnival Liberty: First Impressions”

1. Scott Lara
      December 4th, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

Ashley,

I was like you. Always inside cabins to save cash. When I had a balcony on the Celebrity Solstice in 2010, I swore never inside again.

Alas, inside cabin on Holland America Line Eurodam on 11/19, but still loved it.

Scott Lara
      Jacksonville,Fl

2. Carolyn
      December 4th, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

After nearly always traveling on Princess, I was very disappointed in the balcony size on my cruise in September on Carnival Victory. I felt like I was sitting on a window ledge it was so puny.

3. Angela Guptill
      December 4th, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

So on a scale of 1 to 10 (one being the worst burger you’ve ever eaten and 10 being the best you’re ever eaten) how were Guy’s Burgers? :-D Going on the “boat” in Feb./12.

4. Cruise Critic
      December 4th, 2011 @ 7:17 pm

@Angela: I’d give ‘em a 7. They’d get a higher score if they didn’t have so much unnecessary grease. Otherwise, they’re quite tasty. You can read about my experience with them here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2011/12/04/live-from-carnival-liberty-bested-by-burgers/?isalt=0.

5. Suzy
      December 5th, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

Balconies are wonderful,,although many times very expensive,,we sail 1/29/2011 on Holland America,,can’t wait to see our balcony on the Neiuw Amsterdam,,should be fabulous!!

6. Anthony
      December 6th, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

Ashley–

Which comedians are on the ship this week? And is there a show each night? We’re sailing next week and it’s a struggle to focus on work right now…

7. Cruise Critic
      December 7th, 2011 @ 9:12 am

@Anthony: There was no show last night, but there were shows the first three nights — both family-friendly and adult versions. The comedians onboard this sailing are John Knight and Carl Guerra. (Just FYI, the big George Lopez takeover as part of the Fun Ship 2.0 enhancements hasn’t happened just yet, but it’s coming soon.)

8. Chris Bloom
      December 7th, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

You Gotta try the Cucumber Sunrise at the Alchemy Bar. Adri is now back in South Africa, but Gregor is still there. Here he is making mine (daily habit for me).

9. Cruise Critic
      December 11th, 2011 @ 8:24 pm

@Anthony: Later in the week, Doug Funk and Marvin Todd performed.

@Chris: I had a sip of a friend’s Cucumber Sunrise. Pretty amazing!