Live From Voyager of the Seas: The Elevator vs. Stairs Challenge

November 18, 2011 | By | 12 Comments

cruise-elevator-versus-stairs
By Day 6 of my cruise onboard Voyager of the Seas, I’d grown weary of waiting for and riding elevators. How much time was I wasting standing there? What could I have accomplished if I didn’t have to wait? What’s that brushing up against my leg during the jam-packed ride to the Windjammer Cafe for breakfast?
I decided to put it to the test.
On Thursday, a sea day, my husband and I conducted the Elevator vs. Stairs Challenge. The rules were simple: One of us would take the elevator, the other the stairs. From the moment we separated near the elevator bank until we reunited at the bottom of the relevant staircase, we’d run stopwatches. (We used a pair of $10 cheapies we bought in the Royal Promenade earlier in the week.)
Ok, it was hardly scientific, but the daylong experiment proved interesting — and burned mucho extra calories. Here’s what we discovered:
Number of flights of stairs covered in one day: 59
Time spent waiting for or riding elevators: 31 minutes 52 seconds
Time spent walking the stairs: 17:02
Longest elevator journey: 4:59, to go from our cabin on Deck 8 to the sports area on Deck 14 during the lunch hour
Greatest number of elevator stops: 5 (out of 7 floors)
Total number of minutes saved by taking the stairs: 14:50
If I had used the stairs all day, I could have taken much better advantage of the activities onboard. With nearly 15 extra minutes of leisure time, I could have, in total:
Witnessed two belly flops during the poolside Men’s International Belly-Flop Competition (1:53); listened to a band rehearse Katy Perry’s “Hot and Cold” in the High Notes Bar (3:16); completed one trivia quiz from the library (2:01 for 12 questions on horror films); played three holes of miniature golf (8:01); and watched one towel-folding demonstration (1:46 for the monkey-shaped towel).
Such a waste — especially when you consider that, during the course of three days at sea, that’s nearly 45 minutes of precious vacation time you’ll never get back.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to take a hot shower. My quadriceps are killing me.
Follow Elissa as she charts a course through the Caribbean with her reports from Voyager of the Seas, including a rocky embarkation day in New Orleans and the gutsiest thing a woman can do at sea.
Find out what more than 700 Cruise Critic members think of Voyager of the Seas.
Get your own Lido Deck subscription.

Comments

12 Responses to “Live From Voyager of the Seas: The Elevator vs. Stairs Challenge”

1. L Townson
      November 19th, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

We usually do a lot of stair climbing on our cruises,and I always expect the “sore stair legs” for the first couple days on the ship. But I also think that which is faster really depends on other factors too: time of day or night, how many passengers are sailing, even location of the elevator…..interesting article though!

2. Carolyn Nicander Mohr
      November 19th, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

Taking the stairs is a great way to burn off cruise calories! I avoid the elevators as much as possible on our cruises.

3. Gillian
      November 19th, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

Stairs during the day especially to and from pool, gym etc.
      Evenings in heels and after alcohol then may resorts to the lifts (UK elevators!!)

4. dave d
      November 19th, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

i say stairs all the time. Honestly, if you want to really avoid catching some of those bugs that rome the ships then stairs it is. Keep your hands off the rails and the buttons. Lets be honest if you struggle with the stairs then just stay at the Windjammer, because we all know you are there for the food.

5. sue
      November 19th, 2011 @ 7:02 pm

would love to use the stairs, in fact my husband and I used to do this a lot. now I have a torn acl and wear a brace. stairs are out of the question.

6. Erica
      November 19th, 2011 @ 8:46 pm

We always do stairs also. Faster and healthier! I can’t believe when I see people wait forever, then get on and only go two floors away (obviously I’m not talking about the disabled, or if you have a ton of stuff to carry, etc).

7. Frank Perez
      November 19th, 2011 @ 11:59 pm

I always use the stairs everytimeI can on a cruise. Between that and walking from one end of a deck to another (where I want to be always ends up being) I actually lose wait when on a cruise.

8. Michael K.
      November 20th, 2011 @ 9:29 am

We normally take the stairs as much as we can except for returning from a full day of walking on shore or on formal nights when the wife is wearing high heels.

9. Deirdre
      November 20th, 2011 @ 11:09 am

I hate waiting for anything so when my husband and I were on the Voyager last month, we took the stairs every day, despite being up on Deck 10. That’s a whole lotta walking we did, especially on port days!! I am glad to say that it was worth the effort (I am very grateful to all the landings where I caught my breath…LOL) since we did not gain one ounce. And trust me, we did not stint on the dining and drinking, either. :)

10. fice
      November 20th, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

When go down always stairs, going up depend on how many floors

11. Ellen
      November 22nd, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

Drives me nuts when I see little kids using the elevator to go 1 floor.

12. Spiral Staircases
      January 24th, 2012 @ 5:52 am

There are several races that are done up and down stairs. Have a look on google for one in your area.