Live From Voyager of the Seas: A Brazen Cut

November 17, 2011 | By | 27 Comments

On Wednesday afternoon, I did the gutsiest thing a woman can do on a cruise ship: I got my hair cut.
Like Cruise Critic member argenta01, who wrote on the message boards, “I wouldn’t trust a hair cut to a stranger,” I wasn’t keen on the idea. But the Western Caribbean humidity was making me look Q-Tippish, and every morning I regretted not getting a pre-Voyager trim. So I gave it a try.

Pros: Reasons to Do the ‘Do
You could make up for lost time. I had so many things to finish at home and work before embarking Voyager of the Seas that I wasn’t able to get to the salon as planned. Getting my hair cut onboard made up for that.
You don’t have to wait weeks to get an appointment. I called the salon to get an appointment and was in the chair within 10 minutes. The normal wait time at my usual spot is at least two weeks. Tip: Avoid haircuts on formal night, when the salon is packed with ladies getting dolled up for dinner.
You don’t feel rushed. My typical appointment is 30 minutes. The cut onboard was an hour, and I really felt like the stylist, Charlotte from England, took her time and was careful.
You have a better view. Instead of staring at your own mug in the mirror, you can also gaze out to sea. Voyager’s salon has lovely ocean views.
You might realize you need a new style at home. Cruise Critic member bfmac pointed this one out. Maybe the stylist will do your ‘do in a slightly different way, making you consider whether it’s time to change things up back home. I liked the way Charlotte thinned out my thick bangs, and will ask my usual guy to do the same.
Cons: Where Things Get Hairy
It’s pricey. My normal haircut is $42, plus tip. This one was $86.75 — $75 plus an automatically included 15 percent tip.
You don’t know what you’re going to get. The cut could be fab or you could end up looking like the victim of an assault by weed wacker — same as any time you try a new stylist. Mine turned out much shorter than I like (but it’ll grow). Tip: Ask female crewmembers who cut their hair; they also tend to use the day spa stylists.
The motion makes you a little nervous. Voyager of the Seas’ salon is located on Deck 11 forward — not the ship’s center of gravity — so I felt the motion of the ocean. It made me worried about a rogue snip.
The weather can fuzz things up. When I got my haircut, we were just departing humid, warm Jamaica. What will the cut look like back home on the East Coast, where it’s far cooler and less muggy?
Ever gotten your hair cut onboard a cruise ship? Share your experience in the comments.
Follow Elissa as she charts a course through the Caribbean with her reports from Voyager of the Seas, including a rocky embarkation day in New Orleans.
Find out what more than 700 Cruise Critic members think of Voyager of the Seas.
Get your own Lido Deck subscription.

Comments

27 Responses to “Live From Voyager of the Seas: A Brazen Cut”

1. heather rimmer
      November 17th, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

Fantastic !!! Always have my hair cut on my Celebrity cruises as the hairdressers are trained by Steiner!!

2. CricketCruise&Travel
      November 17th, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

Your haircut is adorable and looks GREAT on you — VERY flattering! And looks easy to take care of as well (low maintenance).
      (Just hope your hairdresser at home can follow the cut so you can keep the look.)
      Congrats for being gutsy!!

3. Susan
      November 17th, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

Cute cut!

4. Ashley
      November 17th, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

Yes, I had mine cut on my last RC Cruise. We leave on a Thanksgiving cruise in a couple of days and I plan on making it my first stop!

5. Caarolyn
      November 17th, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

Love the cut! Looks great:)

6. Marsea
      November 17th, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

I love it! Super cute.

7. Betty
      November 17th, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

Love the haircut!! I’ll definitely be considering this on my next cruise.

8. Ellina
      November 17th, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

Very nice, they did a great job with you Elissa. I had a hair cut on a crise ship before, it came out real nice.

9. laura jones
      November 17th, 2011 @ 5:55 pm

Three of us got our hair cut and highlighted on a Princess cruise. We all were very happy and i would definately do it again

10. Theresa
      November 17th, 2011 @ 6:05 pm

The haircut looks fabulous! What a great excuse to go on a cruise every 4 or 5 weeks….Well I HAVE to see the hairdresser!LOL
      Gee…just wishful thinking!

11. neta platt
      November 17th, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

Great look!!!

12. Frank
      November 17th, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

Making salsa and a haircut! wow, this chick knows how to party!

13. jan
      November 17th, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

looks great – hope you are enjoying Voyager now- give our regards to iris in Portofino restaurant!Mr Rodrick and Mr. Tony – she made our cruise the best ever

14. Linda
      November 17th, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

Love the cut. They are pricey, but haven’t seen a bad cut come out of a ship’s salon yet.
      You look adorable.

15. Mary
      November 17th, 2011 @ 9:30 pm

Your haircut is darling…..well worth the money….Enjoy the rest of your cruise….I will be sailing on that ship soon….

16. Charity Froggenhall
      November 17th, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

Love your haircut! You lucked out for sure. :)

17. sara vanscoy
      November 18th, 2011 @ 8:18 am

did this last year on the summit – took my first glass of wine with me and just sat back and relaxed – felt like a good way to start off a much-needed vacation….planning to do it again on the refurbished summit this February…

18. Jen F
      November 18th, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Wow, that haircut is really cute.

19. Brian
      November 18th, 2011 @ 11:40 am

I think your new hair style is great. I have on my list for my next cruise to get an old-fashioned barbershop shave. Who says guys can’t get pampered too?

20. Kathy
      November 18th, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

Looks really cute…Love it

21. SunnyRegards
      November 18th, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

Voyager Salon was worth every penny. You look Fabulous! You made a gutsy move now you owe it to yourself to find a hairdresser in your city that can keep up with current styles, cuts, and products that suit you. Break up with your old hairdresser who should have been giving you the wow factor to begin with no matter how much you pay if thats the best they can do you need to switch…you deserve it!

22. Beth
      November 19th, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

Fantastic! It looks adorable. I got a pedicure on a ship once-$80! It was OK, but I will certainly made the time before I leave from then on.

23. Carol
      November 21st, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

Your haicut looks great and you now look more trendy, if I can use that word….very flattering!

24. Lynne Coppoletta
      November 21st, 2011 @ 6:16 pm

Beautician on Nautica last year on an Asian cruise was fantastic! I too was scared but it was the best cut ever. I wear my hair short and curlyish so I had it cut twice. Expected a big bill but was quite pleasantly surprised when it was only about $5 more than home. Nail tech great too.

25. Cherie
      November 21st, 2011 @ 11:35 pm

Love it! You look great. Maybe I will try getting my haircut onboard next cruise!

26. Elissa Leibowitz Poma
      November 22nd, 2011 @ 11:48 am

Thanks for all your support of my haircut. Feeling a bit like a shorn sheep, but it’s only hair — it’ll grow!

27. Kim
      November 22nd, 2011 @ 9:59 pm

Elissa, No, you don’t let it grow too much! It is VERY, VERY flattering on you and as another reader stated, TRENDY without looking TOO trendy! It’s funny how we’re rarely good judges of what looks good on ourselves…the last time I got new glasses, I asked EVERYONE in the optical shop which of several pairs of glasses they thought looked best on me. Turns out that the vast majority of strangers selected the pair that I least cared for, but I got them anyway and I was very surprised when every single family member, friend and coworker LOVED my new look and complimented me on the change. Obviously, I’m no more objective than you are when it comes to seeing myself in a new light. Trust us, your new do is PERFECT for your face and (no offense intended!) MUCH more flattering than the old do you were comfortable with! You look fantastic and you’ve inspired me to seek out a new stylist that does NOT repeatedly give me what I ask for! You look FANTASTIC!