11 Scariest Moments on a Cruise

October 25, 2011 | By | 97 Comments

Like a popular slasher film, there had to be a sequel. So we’re back in time for Halloween to haunt you once more with the most frightening cruise stories ever posted on a forum or Facebook fan page. Behold the demonic powers of the Caribbean sun, the drunk who tries to sink a ship and the moment of dread that shapes the rest of a seven-year-old’s life. Lock all doors and windows, then click here to read this year’s edition. And if you have your own tale, post it in the comments.
Guess what? You’re invited to Carnival’s Halloween party at sea.
Celebrate the holidays at sea with our guide to cruising over Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s.
It won’t kill you. (In fact, you’ll like it.) Subscribe to the Lido Deck.

Comments

97 Responses to “11 Scariest Moments on a Cruise”

1. Kate Hacking
      October 25th, 2011 @ 11:54 am

These stories are great, but in 2007, we took a royal caribbean cruise out of Galveston TX. It was agreat cruise until the trip back to Galveston. Our ship was cruising through the Gulf at a high rate of speed, no worries, all is well. We were prepare for the 6:00 evening meal when I looked at my hubby whom was sitting on the bed,(I was standing at the mirror) and noticed that he was a lot higher than me! wth, We looked to the balcony door and could see the water right there in our face. literally. everything went flying across the room. It finally straightend out.
      When we went down to dinner, there was dinner ware all over the floor, as were alot of other things. It looked like a hurricane came through and wiped out everything on the ship. The captain came on and appolagised to everyone as a strong wind came across the gulf and as the stablizers were not being used,(as to get more speed) it tipped the ship. and I mean tipped!!! alas, we made it home safe, but there was a moment we all thought of “te Posidene Adventure”!!!!!

2. Martysr
      October 25th, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

On a north bound Alaska cruise on the Ryndam a storm caused us to come out of the inside passage. I was a last minute reduced fare inside cabin near the bow. I’m a big ol’ buffet barnacle at 6’8″ and 290 lbs. As we headed out of the relatively calm waters of the inside passage the wind and wave action gave a new motion to the ship. First clue that rough waters were ahead was the resounding blow of the anchor against it’s housing. Second clue, seemingly seconds after the first bang of metal on metal, a violent heave threw me from my bed onto the floor. As I detected no ‘sinking’ motion I got back in bed to ride out the storm. Oddly wide awake until the anchor was better secured and only my snoring shook the bow.

3. Kate
      October 25th, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

Most disturbing moment for me on my recent cruise out of Long Beach was in line waiting to board. A 70 something white haired man decided to lift his shirt and expose his pasty pale white fleshy chest and belly – and his shiny new gold nipple hoops. EW! Took several cocktails to rid my mind of that sight.

4. Jeremy
      October 25th, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

On a north bound cruise to Alaska from Vancouver on Celebrity Summit- My wife and I are in the Casino when we hear a screeching noise like nails against a chalkboard – The entire ship rocks then lists to one side – No announcements, business as usual – We ask the dealer “is that normal” and with a look of panic in his face he says “um no” – we arrive at our port the next day and are greeted by both the coast guard and numerous divers – We continue our cruise all the while listing to one side no explanation for what happened – We get back home and there is a news article about how the Carnival Summit had hit ice and had a 4 foot by 6 ft whole in the ship that divers had to repair.

5. Qwovadis
      October 26th, 2011 @ 5:56 am

Spookiest cruise I have ever been on was the Galapagos Legend a restored World War II cruise
      transport ship.I was told by the crew they see the ghosts of dead soldiers in remote areas of the ship.Combined with the nightime creaking of
      the bulkheads which some said were the screams
      of the dying I had a truly terrrifying but wonderful time.

6. Anne Dempey
      October 26th, 2011 @ 6:55 am

On a Celebrity cruise through the CHilean Fiords, Beagle Channel etc in Dec 2009, we had perfect weather for two weeks – with the exception of one harrowing 2 hour period on the afternoon of Christmas Eve, right after lunch. We were cruising on a cloudy day, some rain, when suddenly the ship began to list. I mean list. Looked out one window, to starboard, could see ocean, horizon, grey sky. Looked out the port window, could only see water. A sequence of announcements went from “please hold railing when walking in passageways” through “please do not leave the area were you are right now” to finally “SIT DOWN!!!” Doors opened, rain pelted in, soaking carpets in public areas. We found out later there had been 20+ foot waves, and 85 mph wind, and the ship was listing 13 degrees. White knuckle for sure. We entered an area protected by deserted islands and all was well. We found out later that all the tableware on the tables on the upper level of the dining room crashed thru to the lower level. Just slid off the tables. Merry CHristmas!!!

7. Judy
      October 26th, 2011 @ 8:33 am

While on Royal Caribbean on one of my first cruises, the ship started to make the right turn into the bay from the ocean at San Juan, the ship started rocking back and forth and it scattered all the loose deck furniture, bar ware, and the water in the pools and hot tubs all spilled over the decks. Many people were bruised from falling. We never found what he cause of the violent rocking was. It was truly a heart-stopping moment.

8. Nathaniel
      October 26th, 2011 @ 8:53 am

I was on a Carnival Alaska Southbound cruise. Somewhere prior to reaching Juneau, we experienced a really bad storm. The ship was rocking from side to side in pretty wide throws. When we woke up in the morning, the iconic Carnival funnel had flown onto the deck! It was pretty bad. I heard (though I don’t know) that some people on the upper decks had rolled out of bed.

9. GEORGE
      October 26th, 2011 @ 9:13 am

Scariest moment for my wife and I ( discounting the 300 pound, moo-moo wearing lady who charged the buffet counter for a six thirty P.M. snack to tide her over to the seven P.M. supper) happened early the first morning and every morning after.

At about five A.M. we were awakened from a dead sleep by a terrifying crashing and groaning noise from the ceiling. It sounded like the ship was breaking up ( or the buffet had finally collapsed). Rushing out onto the balconyey to see if we had missed the life boat launching, the noise disappeareded. Noticed that there were no icebergs ( we were one day out of Port Canaveralal and heading south) and no islands or other ships in the immediate area, I returned to bed.

Next morning same thing. A blood chilling crashing and grating noise; sprint to balconyoney; return to bed. The suggestion that my wife sprint to balconyoney on day three was turned down.

It turned out to be some of the crew, no doubt with a certain sense of revenge, dragging the deck furniture around in preparationration for the next days activities, on the deck immediately over our cabin.

To this day I am still terrified of moo-moos.

10. Tom and:Lori Moeller
      October 26th, 2011 @ 11:43 am

In Feb 1972 I and my wife booked the top starboard cabin of Royal(now defunct)line’s Nordic Prince. On the first morning heading to the Caribbean Ils at 5 AM a loud banging sound near the port window woke us up. We looked out and it was the anchor comming down. This happened every morning, so we were always the first in line for each island excursion.

11. manley kiefer
      October 26th, 2011 @ 1:07 pm

All these seem fairly mild compared with the Veendam storm December 13, 2010. Check it out on you tube.

12. ann
      October 26th, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

On a family cruise, the ship we were on had a previous bad luck history. I man had fallen over the side and disappeared, then when we were were cruising, a passenger had had a heart attack and was lifted off the ship in the middle of the ocean. We arrived home and two days after my 234 year old son had died. Stay off ships that have a history of bad luck.

13. JR
      October 26th, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

Reading over these comments, on thing stands out! People mud not read what they have written. Many spelling errors and gramatical errors. Just syin`

14. Brian McAlpine
      October 26th, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

Christmas/New Years.. San Diego-Hawaii loop-Dec 2009, aboard Zaandam (Holland America)..8 hrs. out of San Diego..encounter 20 ft. seas that last 2.5 days(!).Dining room became 1/2 full, as many elderly could not safely walk to dining room and those with walkers for sure not.
      Stacks of dinner plates at servers stations came crashing down..food and all. Table settings had to be hung onto..or else. Many people looking gray/white..and flopper-stoppers did little to help ship. At first port of call..Hilo.. a line of 20 plus people disembarked,luggage in hand. One couple was overheard saying..”If this is ‘cruising’,we want no part of it!”. Seas from 8hrs. prior to Hilo, and thereafter was fine.

15. Diane Odian Schroeder
      October 26th, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

My husband and I were on an last-ditch Carnival cruise when I was 7 months pregnant on Jan. 17, 1988 (it was the year the Redondo, CA pier was knocked out by high waves). We sailed out of Los Angeles at 4:30pm. At 6pm the ship was rocking so bad I had to leave the dinner table because I was so sick. At about 9pm I was laying on the bed next to the desk and everything from the storage area came crashing down on my pregnant stomach. We were on the highest deck and the ship was rocking so hard I could see the water almost up to my stateroom. Then all the lights went out and all you could hear was screams. People were getting tossed about the ship. My husband was in the casino and he watched in horror as all the slot machines flipped over and people went flying off bar stools. Turns out we were in 40+ ft. sea swells and 70+ mph. gale force winds. This lasted all night…no lights, people screaming, the crew dawning life vests and crouching in stairwells. The crew had obviously not been trained. No food, no clean water, and no power. The ship bobbed like a cork in the water all night. Sick all night, next morning the ship starts turning around. Apparently there was a shipwrecked boat and somebody was clinging to wreckage. By the time the captain turned around the person disappeared. Needless to say, even though the storm was over, we did not have a relaxing vacation!

16. helen foulk
      October 26th, 2011 @ 2:19 pm

sounds like an adventure good and bad, never been on one , maybe someday …

17. Bev Lichter
      October 26th, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

It is really a good thing my husband and I are CRUISE- A HOLICS because I would never want to step foot on ANY ship after reading those horror stories . We have never experienced any Horror stories on any of the ROYAL or DISNEY ships that we have sailed except for the occaisional horrific sights of a 300 or more lb man in a speedo or a 300 or more lb woman in a bikini!!! WHAT A SIGHT- could have lived without those for sure !!

18. dee bouchon
      October 26th, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

The worst is sometimes the calibre of people onboard.
      Its worth paying more with the hopes that the undesirables will be screened out. The behaviour, attire and appearance of some people really can ruin a trip. Avoid cheaper curise lines, its not worth it.

19. Rudy Schulz
      October 26th, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

It was the night of the captain’s ball, everyone in formal attire, when the ship’s engines stopped. There was no power anywhere in the ship: No lights, no air-conditioning. It was hot and humid. We were in the Bermuda Triangle at the edge of a hurricane. The ship was a derelict in the Atlantic sea lanes. To make matters worse, the bars stopped serving drinks.
      Our cabin was in the bowels of the ship, unbearably hot. We stumbled down into the cabin, changed clothes, out of the formal and into casual. We then took the pillows and mattresses from our bunks up the passageway and joined our friends, who had done what we had done, on the ship’s deck. By now, there were about 20 of us on a giant community mattress. We chatted and gazed at the stars in total darkness. I never saw so many stars. The average age of the group was about 30. Before long, we all fell asleep. As dawn broke, Mable and Mrytle, two elderly women, came upon our group, most of whom were still asleep. The elderly women were lamenting the absence of their morning hot coffee. Two members of our group, early risers, were standing at the rail watching the sun come up. They overheard Mrytle say to Mabel: “You know what that is Mabel, with reference to our group lying on the deck, that is one of those orgies”.
      The ship’s crew managed to repair one of the engines. We eventually “limped” into New York harbor a day late.

20. Boogooty Amooty
      October 26th, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

Crew members use to stink on most ships. If you wern’t sick from the food or rough seas you were sick from all the body odor. There seems to be much better hygine these days.

21. Fabien55
      October 26th, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

My worst fear was on a Costa cruise 6 years ago when the Three Italian women threw another women right off the chair because she would not move over. Nicest cruise as far as scenery since we went to the Norweigan Fjords, beautiful ship but the rudest people in the world. I was afraid to open my mouth otherwise they would have thrown me overboard

22. Tammy
      October 26th, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

Anyone ever hear of SPELL CHECK?

23. eric
      October 26th, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

The scariest cruise for me was January 2011 on the Crown Princess. Some coworkers (nurses-Jamie, Kim, Corrine) were also onboard. Their behavior was ridiculous. I’d never seen so much alcohol consumed in a 1 week period of time, but according to several of the bartenders on board, they polished off more booze by themselves than is usually consumed by the rest of the 3000 passengers combined.

24. Becky H.
      October 26th, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

I find that it is not necessarily the price of the line that makes the bad crowds but the length of the cruise. Shorter cruises are cheaper and attract those who are just there to get drunk and party, 7 day cruises seem to deter that crowd somewhat.

As for horror stories, our worst experience dealing with a family of drunks on our honeymoon cruise who literally started drinking at breakfast and run amuk all day long, harassing people during karaoke and generally being annoying. Otherwise, I have only had good experiences on cruises.

25. Mike Fonner
      October 26th, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

Going back to my Navy days, going from the Philippines to Viet Nam on a troop ship, we encountered a typhoon. The entire ship would disappear under water before popping up. This all happened at night to make matters worse. Fortunately I was in the top bunk (3 high) when I was awakened by strange noises. Large numbers of sailors were throwing up. Hate to say it, but I just started laughing and went back to sleep!

My awake story is encountering 100 foot waves coming around the horn of Africa. How do I know they were 100 feet tall, because from the flight deck of the aircraft carrier to the water is 100 feet. Needless to say, no one ventured out on deck that day!

26. John Cappuccio
      October 26th, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

The scariest thing on any of the cruises I have been on were a couple in there early 80s
      took off their swim suits on the pool deck to put there clothes on.

27. cougar
      October 26th, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

I agree that the worst can be the caliber of the people on board. I have cruised on lower and higher class ships, I have found that on the higher class ships the people may be dressed better but their manners are deplorable. They have been some of the rudest, ill mannered people I have come across, especially to the staff.

28. alan
      October 26th, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

not to sound too snobish,but the different ships are like going to a pro football game with lots of tailgating prior to the game or going to broadway theather in NYC…………

29. Matt
      October 26th, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

Yeah, the scariest moment was showing my wife our $3000 plus ship charge after our first cruise. We’ve since learned to budget our selves and tone the party down a bit. That was one hell of a bar tab.

30. macabo
      October 26th, 2011 @ 4:46 pm

I enjoyed the stories. The only problem I saw was of people complaining about spelling.
      Give us a break, we are only human.

31. Steve
      October 26th, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

And to think I have been wanting to take a cruise for the first time. I think maybe I will wait a bit more. Have to find out the best time of the year for one. I don’t mine the rough ride due to weather, that is a given when you go on vacation, there might be trouble, but when the crew does not know what to do,as one person said, well again I have to think long and hard about this one

32. Mike
      October 26th, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

No bad stories for me. However during WWII my dad was pretty worried while the troop ship was dodging icebergs – that was until they left the icefields and then he really worried about u-boats. So compared to that, for me it’s all good (well except during our last cruise we saw a really wrinkly old man wearing a thong).

33. Nancy Stultz
      October 26th, 2011 @ 5:32 pm

Well, I’ve read through these also. Agree that 300 pound guy or gal…yikes…Love RCI, only trip that was scary and only to our kids was October 2009 – NJ to Bermuda – 100 mph winds sustained at 80 mph. Explorer just kept bobbing. DIL’s were sick all night, son’s had to hold them and their heads. My husband and I just slept through it. Only trip that was scary.

34. Paula
      October 26th, 2011 @ 5:32 pm

The only bad experience I’ve ever had, after twelve cruises, was when a couple of kitchen staff got into an argument. I mentioned it on the comment card at the end of the cruise, and next cruise I was upgraded to a verandah cabin. We cruise almost exclusively with Holland America. We always have a good experience. The ships are great and not too big, the staff is friendly and professional, the food is wonderful and I especially like coffee in the Crow’s Nest early in the morning when it’s quiet. We’ve experienced rough seas on occasion, but, hey! That’s part of the adventure! Happy cruising, everyone!

35. Mathai Paul
      October 26th, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

My scariest cruise was on Royal Carribean Rapshody of the seas, this past Dec., we were cruising from Sydney to Christ church New Zealand. The Captain had warned us about some rough seas but we encountered thirty plus feet waves at times, and the ship was getting tossed around with all the bad things that go with it. To make matters worst we were in the front end of the ship (inside cabin) and I could hear the anchor banging on the side of the ship like a huge sledge hammer pounding this went on for a long time. I was on the verge of throwing up, lot of people got sick, and I could not wait to get of that ship.

36. Charlotte
      October 26th, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

My scariest moment (after many cruises) was the result of staying aboard the MSC Lirica after finding out we had been “upgraded” from a room we specifically reserved. All the staff had to do was move the people from the cabin WE reserved to our “upgraded” cabin (their luggage was outside their door until after 7:00 pm, they hadn’t unpacked), but that seemed like rocket science to them. Arguing with the officer in charge of customer relations, I missed dinner, the lifeboat drill, and finally broke down in tears of frustration. If my husband had seen that, he would still be incarcerated! (sp?) We saw some of the same staff from 2 earlier MSC cruises that were wonderful, but I should have trusted my instincts and packed up my husband and luggage and disembarked. However, being stubborn, and not wanting to waste the money, we stayed onboard…and after this they served turkey on the lunch buffet on Thanksgiving Day, but no Thanksgiving dinner. Most of the time I couldn’t identify the meats on the buffet (which is fine b/c I don’t eat meat) or many of the vegetables and salad items. And, in the middle of the cruise we found out, via the ship’s intolerably slow internet, that our grand-daughter had been delivered 7 weeks early. I have never been so happy to leave a ship. We will never cruise with MSC again.

37. Paul
      October 26th, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

I don’t know if this qualifies as scary but on our second cruise, we were on the Monarch’s 9th sailing and had just made our first stop at Martinique( a dump ). We toured the town briefly and got back onboard the ship. It was warm and we and our best friends decided to go to the pool. As we were relaxing in the water, we noticed a commotion coming from the hot tub. A waiter came over to tell us that he had just stopped there to ask a very elderly man if he would like some refreshment when he noticed a woman on the bottom of the hot tub. He asked the man about it and he said “it’s my wife and she does this all the time”… the waiter asked how long she had been there and he said “about 30 minutes”. The waiter sounded the alarm and pulled her from the water, but sadly, too late. We watched the medics ( over 20 minutes to get there from the town ) try to give her CPR but it was too late. Very sad. They took the body right past us and the husband was weeping. The scary part was that other people came onboard and jumped right into the hot tub , not knowing what had just happened, and the water hadn’t been drained and replaced. We avoided that hot tub the entire cruise. The water later informed us that both the husband and wife had dementia (sp? )

38. Joan
      October 26th, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

The most fun I ever had on a cruise, and I have been on many, was on the QE2 during Hurricane Hugo in 1989 or there abouts. At one point I remember going aft on deck and a bunch of people were playing Pirate Ship, like at Six Flags. As the bow went up, so did the arms, etc. What fun!
      Later, we (two couples) attended a “returners” party. There were about ten people and one “gigolo” there, and he was green. It took me about 20 minutes to get to the middle of the dance floor and back with canapes for the 5 of us, but it was worth it!
      To my knowledge, no one was hurt, the ship was never in danger, and we were not even late getting into port.
      On other trips, people have at times been taken off for medical reasons, sometimes upsetting port plans, but that is no big deal, at least for those of us not directly involved.
      Cruising, especially Trans Atlantic crossings, is the most fun one can have!

39. Alan Nichols
      October 26th, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

My wife and I enjoyed a 7 day Gullet Cruise (small wooden Turkish sail/motorized ship with accomodation for 13) through the Adriatic Sea and islands of Croatia. Split – Dubrovnik – Split. This was the crew’s first voyage and they were rushed into service. Mom was the (lousy) cook and they were missing a deckhand. On one day with a few seas they were in a rush between islands and took a “short cut” through a channel with insufficient draught and a falling tide. When the keel first hit bottom the captain accelerated hoping to blast his way through. No chance. High and dry with receding water and night falling. After several hours of cocktails we were eventually rescued and offloaded into a small ship and spent the night in a fancy hotel. Rejoined the ship the next day and sailed carefully back to Split. Whilst we were calm and enjoyed the experience, the rest of the passengers were panicked and consumed a great deal of alcohol while awaiting rescue. I suppose there was some danger of capsizing as the ship was swinging in the current and almost was crushed against a concrete pillar but I guess we were lucky.

40. Stanley cahn
      October 26th, 2011 @ 6:35 pm

I’m reading the book “Bossypants” by Tina Fey. She described her honeymoon, which was a trip to Bermuda on a cruise ship. Strangely, no one recognized her, even though she had been doing “Weekend Update” on SNL for two years. On the last night of the cruise a fire occurred in the engine room, and all the passengers were airlifted from Bermuda to NY. PS her new husband was afraid to fly!

41. Peter G. Whelpton
      October 26th, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

It was 2:30 AM on Friday November 13 when I got the call from the Miami Coast Guard Your shp is on fire and sinking in the old Florida Channel.The Yarmouth Castle had caught fire on her way to Nassau, Bahamas. The fire pumps filled the swimming pool instead of the fire lines and the crew could not get the lifeboats to work. People were diving into the water to escape the fire. 89 passengers and 2 crewmembers were killed.The crew tried to get the guests to vacate the cabins on boat deck but as most of them were old the wouldn’t come out and eventuslly died. The Captain went to a freighter near by for help but was repelled by the freighter captain and told to get back on his ship. Finally the Bahama Star came close enought to rescue the guests. Capt Brown came so close the paint on the side on the Bahama Starr was blistered. one of the worst sea disasters in history.

42. GnG
      October 26th, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

Been on more than enough cruises to say that the best experience is the experience you make. Worst experience we ever had was on the Carnival Destiny in it’s first year of sailing: we were booked in the cabin across from the laundrymat. No limit was ever put on who came in to do their laundry at anytime. When we complained, they brought a window box fan down to our cabin. Hopefully, that has been resolved by Carnival. No other cruiselines have laundrymats. Besides, am very mindful now to make sure our cabin is across from another cabin and not a “blank” space!

43. ditto
      October 26th, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

I worked on the QE2 for many years. There were moments that were a bit alarming but none so much as when we did a tandem transatlantic with the then brand new Queen Victoria. The QE2 could do the transatlantic in three and a half days but we had to slow down for the Vic because she is not a proper ocean liner, she is a flat bottom boat (but very elegant). We sat on the deck of the QE2 watching the poor Vic bob up and down violently while we cruised without incident. It was sad to hear that many passengers disembarked when we reached New York because the Vic is such a beautiful ship. But alas, she was built for occupancy and not for Legacy. Another travesty of Carol Marlow’s tenure as CEO for Cunard. From what I understand the new CEO has been much better. Cunard is exceptional! Save your money and cruise with them. You will be glad you did.

44. samsmama
      October 26th, 2011 @ 7:16 pm

Thank you #13. But I would rather suffer through poor spelling and grammar that to read of someone’s intolerance (that’s you #9).

45. Jean Hogan Sanford
      October 26th, 2011 @ 7:25 pm

In 1989 on the Carnival Celebration my husband and I were awakened by a horrific “BANG” and then the ship just shook violently for about a minute. We had an inside cabin, and when I opened our door the door opened across the hall. The lady was crying and said “we just cut a ship in half, men are hanging off the sides and we are leaving them.” Well of course we were not leaving. Took some time to turn around and go back. We had REALLY cut a 300 ft. Cuban freighter in half. We remained there for 8 hours picking up survivors and helping in any way we could. There were several scarry moments. At one time the ship
      started to list to one side and later a helicopter tried to land on our deck to pick up some wounded Cubans. It was impossible for
      the pilot to land and we were very happy to see it fly away. Also, the passengers were never mustered to our stations even though all
      the life boats had been lowered. We did not know immediately they were going to rescue the
      men from the freighter. All in all, it was a
      very scary experience, but I must admit, it did
      not stop me from cruising.

46. Marn nirk
      October 26th, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

Worst experience for us was this fall aboard the Norrweg. Sun. on a Baltic cruise. I can’t fault the cruise but the getting there was an awful experience. We let the cruiseline make all our arrangements, we were just supposed to show up. No stress they assured us. However, we got to the airport to discover that Norr. had indeed booked our flights to Copenhagen but failed to secure assigned seats, even after we had been assured that they had made all arrangements. We waited 3 stressful hours to find out our fate because the plane was overbooked by 7 and we were on a wait list. Ten minutes before the flight, they let us on but we were scattered all over the plane, not seated with our spouses. 2 hours later we were all taken off the plane due to mechanical issues. After 2 hours in the terminal we boarded another plane then waited over an hour on the tarmac for staff change. Very long night. Once we got to Copen. we realized that although we made, not all our luggage did. Took 4 days to find it because it was apparently still on standby. When we tried to board the bus in Copen. which would take us to the ship and which we had arranged for and paid to the cruiseline, we were informed we would need the boarding passes Norr. sent us. You guessed it ! They had not sent us any even though I had called and been assurred before we left that I had all required documents. I had to threaten to stand infront of the bus unless we were allowed to board. What a lousy start to the wonderful Baltic. Once we got to the ship, which had been held for our bus load of people due to the flight delay, we had a great trip. Better to make all your own arrangements.

47. barbara
      October 26th, 2011 @ 7:57 pm

I have cruised 4 times and have not had any bad experiences. The crew has been stellar, the food great and fun, fun, fun. The last cruise was on the Oasis of the seas, highly recommend it!!!

48. Adina
      October 26th, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

Well, I’ m sorry if my spell check is not good but english is not my mother tongue as Some of us think that everybody who ‘s cruising are americans or british :)) but I think I have a tragic / horror story , that ends good in a way of thinking. In 2010 , cruising with Legend of the seas in Asia, during Maggi taifun, we encounter a really bad weather and we made an overnight that was not scheduled in Taiwan. After the ship finally sailed , a few hours later, the captain made an announcement that a small cargo ship was in a bad situation and they send an SOS to the coast guard, but we where the closest ship around and we will try to help them out , or try to be around them in case of sinking. Actually we could have see the cargo threw the Windjammer windows , that they where almost under the water… and the procedure is standard as long as the captain know that is not putting any lives in danger( I belive so) . In 2-3 min.time the cargo went down…. So fast that I couldn’t realize what happened… The crew was in the water , swimming, we could see the life jackets lights in the black water full of oil that spill from the cargo …… I had a hole in my stomac thinking of that moment. The Legend officers where on the deck throwing the life rings desperately in the water but the strong wind and waves
      where making the situation so haaaard, plus the oil that covered the people from the water …. The captain turn and turn the ship all night , in cercles, trying to save some of these crew from the water together with a few coast guard ships and a few helicopters. They took out from the water during the night 3 people and the last one in the morning , I belive, before 1100 . The rest of them got saved by the coast guard and helicopters. The whether was so bad that one of them got sucked by the currents under the ship … and never show back on the surface… So tragic …. The ship was so silent that day, after so much movement, stop the engine…. Start the engine…. Man overboard port side….. Man overboard starboard side…
      The happy end was that the Legend of the seas crew saved 4 people … And did a great job in the operation ! The 4 guys they where so happy when they left the ship in Hong Kong , in a small bus, talking to eachother and looking at the pictures that they where taking with the captain and the officers , having tears in them eyes and so happy to be ALIVE!!!

49. Patricia Echenique
      October 26th, 2011 @ 9:43 pm

It was 1969 in the SS France. We were coming back from Le Havre in France to New York, so we were at the middle of the Atlantic.
      After having been dancing at the Disco, we were hot so we wanted cool air and a group of us decided to go back to the stern, and just coming out the door there was
      a huge, but dim light in the shape of an eye, as it was brighter in the middle. Then another two disks appeared to the sides. They were about 200 yards away from the ship and 50 yards above sea leavel, moving after the ship at same speed, as they did not seem to approach, nor drift away from us.
      We all stood up paralized, I could not even go to my cabin to fetch my camera, my feet did not move, even if my intention was to take a photo.
      Suddenly, after perhaps 10 minutes, they began to twinkle and then disappeared in a sudden.
      We asked a couple, who were on a deck below us, if they saw what we 10 people did and agreed they saw three UFOs. We then went in and ask the crew about it. They all denyed it, we understood they did not want around 3,000 people in panic at the middle of the ocean….

50. Becky Clark
      October 26th, 2011 @ 9:59 pm

Surprised that no one has mentioned the time the old Noordam was hit by a freighter going into the Mississippi after a seven day cruise. Put a seventy foot hole in the side of the ship. We had to be towed back to New Orleans by tugs. Many folks on that cruise were elderly. There is NO way they could have gotten them into life boats.We were scared but it has not stopped us from cruising.

51. Patricia Echenique
      October 26th, 2011 @ 10:01 pm

By the way, if you want to add to my comment, I am Mexican and at that time I did not speak good English so when we asked the couple if they saw the “ovnis”, we used this Spanish word, as any of us knew the proper word was UFO. We did have a discussion with the couple trying to make us understood until we found out, we were all talking about the same thing.

That’s the way I learned that word!

I have another true story, this time of our own sail boat, do you want me to share it?

52. Cynthia
      October 26th, 2011 @ 10:58 pm

On the Boston to Bermuda run in Oct we ran into some really tough seas .30-33 ft waves for 32 hours! We were locked into the boat,all the liquor and perfume in the gift shop was destroyed and if you could hold onto the table firmly enough you could eat at the only restaurant in the middle of the boat that was open.in your rooms the tv’s fell onto the floor as well as everything else. On our floor two berths were combined into one because the wall panels fell out! We had a helicopter following us all the way.the captain was Swedish and was very hard to understand and he would say things like we have another 20 hours worth of this and it doesn’t look good! It was really awful!

53. rose swedlow
      October 26th, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

I have been cruising since the mid 70′s, and no longer count how many. Have been in all sorts of weather, hurricanes, typhoons, etc.
      Ships always survived as did the passengers.
      Years ago ships listed, creaked, and had no stabilizers. Today, most ships are like floating hotels. Longer cruises are the most relaxing, with generally well traveled, well behaved people from all over the world. Transpositional with many days at sea are my favorite. There is no better way to travel.

54. Diane Ande
      October 27th, 2011 @ 12:33 am

I’ve worked on ships for over 30 years and got some good giggles out of some of these \Horror\ postings
      Hello people, you are on a ship on WATER, the companies nor the Master have any control of the weather. A ship is like a huge city, if the generators black out the city fails until repairs can take place, usually very quickly with the back ups

55. Alastair
      October 27th, 2011 @ 3:04 am

The worst I’ve experienced on a modern cruise is the rolling Pacific swells off the B.C. Coast that had the contents of the swimming pool on the Statendam splashing halfway up the dolphin statues at the end of the pool.

The scariest time was when I was a toddler travelling from the Scottish mainland to the Shetland Islands. I was out on deck playing, and somehow managed to get my thumb stuck in a hole in the deck. Night was falling, a storm was blowing in, the ship was rolling, and I was getting scared. my parents came to me and tried to get me loose, as did some of the other passengers and sailors, all to no avail until one sailor had the bright idea of bringing some melted butter from the galley and pouring it over my thumb to lubricate it enough to slip it loose. With a sigh of relief everyone headed for our respective cabins to try to get what sleep we could. When my parents and I got back to our cabin we discovered that my little brother, who had been left tucked into bed asleep when my mother rushed to my side, was nowhere to be seen! Once more crew and passengers were roused to search the ship, fearing the worst. Eventually he was found fast asleep UNDER the bunk he’d been on – with all the ship’s tossing, he must have rolled off and under the bunk without waking! He was checked out by the nearest doctors (mum and dad) and found to be unharmed. When he woke he was completely unaware of what had happened!

56. Kiwi35
      October 27th, 2011 @ 7:03 am

Hi! Some stories are so sad with loss of life, some are funny, all are interesting!

We were aboard the “Beautiful Marco Polo” as the cruise director reminded us every announcement, now ex of Orient lines, in Jan 2005 off on an 8 day to Antarctica, booked the day before (we were in Ushuia anyway) we got an inside in the bow. We knew it would be rough through the Drake Passage and it was, but no problems..we did have to sleep accross the bed to prevent rolling out and there was much creaking and banging down there! But on the way back it was AWESOME, we had to use our robe ties to secure ourselves to the bed and at one point gave up and got on the floor. I’ve no idea how big the waves were but it was so fun standing on the bow and levitating while getting wet from spray! Less fun later for one poor fellow who had a heart attack after witnessing a wave smash a window in the dining room! Sadly the weather was too bad for a helicopter rescue and he didn’t make it. We skipped the last port in an effort to make it back to Ushuia in a hurry but not quick enough.

It was an amazing cruise and one that cannot be repeated, getting off a 70,000 tonne luxury teak lined cruise ship into an 8 man zodiac is unbeatable! I have to say I did experience tourist guilt being there, but the Antarctic treaty was strictly adhered to, including sailing at half capacity and the crew went above and beyond to ensure not a spec of penguin poo made it back onboard. Outstanding.

57. Peter Malm
      October 27th, 2011 @ 8:06 am

Having sailed 2-4 masted sailingships in the W.I,Costa Rica and Bahamamian waters for many years I always found it entertaining to listen to the pax during the early morning hours on the bridge or steering-station.A squall turned in to storm,a 12knot wind became a hurricane etc.If a vessel is 100 ft high from railing to surface does not mean that the waves are that high.The rolling of vessels to abt 45 dgrs tells its own story…………

pete

58. Deborah
      October 27th, 2011 @ 8:57 am

Had to laugh @ JR’s post of 01/26/11 complaining of spelling & grammar errors. His own short 3-line post has 4 errors!

59. justin
      October 27th, 2011 @ 9:06 am

Occassionly issues pile up.

Arrived 2 days early for 10 day cruise with HAL on Amesterdam.

1 hour after unpacking in hotel room, Travel agent calls, cruise cancelled due to Norwalk Virus.

HAL refunded fare, and booked on a different cruise (not saying as end result is confidential ).

At their “island” past the crowded tourist area were signs warning rocks slipperly (with alge).

A stunning lady was following gentleman unrelated to him. Lady slipped, knocked man over, fell on top of him and broke his leg.

took a while to get ship’s medical staff and porters to assist him.

Saw the fellow a few times, spoke with him and his sense of humour (UK spelling) was great.

“I always wanted a lady to fall for me, not on me”

“He mentioned that Cruise line had upgraded his cabin from “inside, far from elevator” to suite beside elevator”, gave him bar tab, and Ladys husband and he plus ships officer had a sit down meal, to ensure that the fellow would not suffer finacially, plus a 75% off next cruise.

60. Randy Johnson
      October 27th, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Scarry situations, some of them, I must say! I heard and saw many too, but each of them is different, involving a different approach and attitude! Hope, you will all cruise safely having fun!

61. Bob Hirschfeld
      October 27th, 2011 @ 9:56 am

Re #42 (Laundry)
      We just finished a wonderful cruise on Oceania’s new Marina. They had a very nice laundromat available on our deck. It had a sign that the last load of laundry had to be started by 9pm, and the room would be locked at 10pm. I checked one night, and really, it was locked. I enjoyed reading all the horror stories here. Luckily, we’ve had nothing as bad on our six cruises.

62. Joseph Teo
      October 27th, 2011 @ 10:28 am

So far, haven’t read any “horror” stories? I meant encounter of a different kind.

63. CFleming
      October 27th, 2011 @ 10:37 am

Our scariest experience was on the Disney Magic in 2002. My husband and I left our 13-year-old daughter asleep in the room and went up at 6 a.m. to the top deck to get coffee. As we came out of the elevator lobby through the double doors to the deck, I noticed that I was looking down at the ocean. It was like slow motion as I turned to my husband to say “I don’t think it’s supposed to look like that” and noticed that behind me the ship rails were even with the upper sky! then all the pools and hot tubs emptied out onto the decks and people started screaming. We ran back to the cabin to check on our daughter and found her upset and confused because everything in the bathroom had come crashing down off the shelves. We found out that night at dinner that the dining room had lost more than 450 plates and bowls. We were told it was because when they went to shift from auto pilot to manual, the ship over corrected itself and tipped. I still remember seeing a woman standing at the rail on deck 9 as it tipped toward the ocean and her grabbing the deck chairs to keep from going over!

64. Cheryl Finch
      October 27th, 2011 @ 10:44 am

On a cruise returning to NY from the Caribbean – Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas. Very bad weather. Decided to have a coffee in the promenade. All shops closed and lots of smashing glass to be heard. Sat with my family at a table. Suddenly the ship lists and my chair slid across the floor quite some distance and I found myself sitting at a table with 2 old ladies. I just said ‘hello’ and carried on drinking my coffee! Was a bad day at sea, but very exciting and quiet in the dining room.

65. V.FOUNTAS
      October 27th, 2011 @ 11:08 am

I would suggest a good research before you go on any cruise.
      You can find everything about the weather or rough sea problems on the internet.
      Would you go on a cruise during hurricane or typhoon season??
      Once you check weather and sea conditions before you cruise,the chances of having problems are minimum.Less than 8 months a go my wife and I had taken our 17th cruise with NO PROBLEMS.

66. Linda K.
      October 27th, 2011 @ 11:56 am

The scariest cruise for me was in 2010 on Royal Caribbean’s Explorer of the Seas. We left from Bayonne NJ and just happened to leave in the middle of a \Noreaster\ coming up the coast at the end of February. Was not even sure if we were going to make it to the cruise terminal as it was snowing so heavily. The seas were extremely rough with gale force winds. The second night on board we had a \horrible\ storm outside and the ship was actually hit with a 100 mile an hour wind and actually listed 15 degrees. People fell out of bed, broken dishes and liquor bottles were everywhere! This occured at about 2AM in the morning, thank goodness! Otherwise I think more people would have been injured. Had I not been on a cruise before and love it so much I probably would never have gone again!

67. Ed L
      October 27th, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

First cruise – mid Nov 2001 – Millenium out of Ft. Lauderdale to southern Carib – Celebrity mis judged the speed of a Cat 2 Hurricane crossing south of Key West towards Bahamas. Storm turned East, on our way to San Juan, storm picked up speed, we got hit in 40 foot seas, 100 mph winds, spray coming over the ship. Since then, my wife and I have done 16 more cruises – nothing like the first!

68. charmaine
      October 27th, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

I find it hilarious that the one complaining about misspelling (#13) also has a few spelling errors. Relax dude, seriously. if this is what you worry about, you must have a charmed life! Peace

69. JEANETTE
      October 27th, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Taking our kids & grandkids on their first cruise my then 8 year old GD was a bit scared. At dinner the lights started blinking on and off to signal the waiters to get ready to entertain and I was whispering this to her because she was scared. My son, her uncle, didn’t know she was scared and jokingly said, very loudly, “the ship is sinking” just as they sat a lobster in front of me. Her fear and a whiff of the lobster was too much she jumped up and threw up right in the dining room. I had to take her crying back to the cabin, where she apologized for me missing my lobster. I just laughed and said I would have many lobster dinners but only one Taylor and she was much more important.

70. Will Brecheen
      October 27th, 2011 @ 7:45 pm

For all of you English majors, get over it. Read these interesting bits for content rather than for style and spelling.
      We’re not journalists, but merely travelers who want to share our adventures with others.
      My wife and I are not seasoned cruisers, but we’ve thoroughly enjoyed our limited experiences so far…and are looking forward to many more trips in the future.

71. Chris Snavely
      October 27th, 2011 @ 11:13 pm

Our first cruise was our honeymoon aboard Windjammer Barefoot Cruises’ S/V Fantome in April ’93. We had such a great time that in the summer of ’98 we made reservations for another cruise on her in January ’99. While watching the evening news exactly 13 years ago today, we were stunned to see pictures of her with reports that she was missing off the coast of Honduras with 31 of her crew still aboard. She had sailed right into the path of the unpredictable hurricane Mitch.
      Our travel agent arranged to put us on their “newer” ship, the Legacy instead. We left San Juan to slightly choppy seas and the next morning walked into the dining room to see buckets collecting water everywhere. Apparently some brilliant engineer decided that right above an upper berth would be a good place to mount a sprinkler head and the couple in the cabin above the dining room had managed to kick it during their romantic endeavors.
      During our second night, I awoke to the eerie sense that the ship was dead in the water. Several seconds later the fire alarm sounded. I found my way to the door and opened it to find a crew member running down the dark hallway, banging on doors with the message to collect your life jackets and report to your muster station. After a few seconds to grab our life jackets and put on the minimum of clothing, we were exiting the cabin when the PA system announces that there was a small fire in the engine room that has been extinguished and that it’s safe to go back to sleep.
      We enjoyed that cruise despite the sporadic power outages as the crew attempted to put the engine room back in order. The backup generator was on the main deck behind the wheelhouse and exhausted diesel fumes unexpectedly in the passengers’ faces as they walked past and it started without warning.
      I guess that it’s no surprise that Windjammer went bankrupt leaving hundreds of passengers and crew stranded and others losing their money. The last that I heard, most of their ships were abandoned and derelict, not worth salvaging because they couldn’t be made to meet the newer stricter SOLAS rules.

72. CArolyn Spencer
      October 28th, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

The trip from hell, my 1st cruise, earlies 80′s Dolphin cruise line. Went on my 1st cruise with my parents. My father was flying in from another city than my mother and myself. We waited for him at the airport because he was stuck in Chicago due to fog. He finally makes it and we get a cab to take us to the pier. On the way the driver explained that the bullet holes in the car were from a drug deal gone bad with a fare he had picked up the week before. They had delayed the ship because they were shooting a commerical for the cruise line but we missed the lifeboat drill. As we sat down for dinner the 2nd night, the ship started leaning to the side and when they served our prime rib and lobster dinner, all the food hit the floor. The emergency bells started ringing and they were advising everyone to get their life jackets and go to their muster station. (We didn’t know where ours was.) We found out later that someone had fallen asleep at the navigation and ran us up on a coral reef. When the tide started to rise, a ballat broke and the ship could not right itself. They had to drag us back to Nassau and get divers in the water to check for hull damage. On the way home, when my mother and I were going thru security at the airport, we had to switch security lanes because the xray machine showed a gun in a lady’s purse. I was never so glad to get home from a trip.

73. Carrie
      October 28th, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

My scariest time on a cruise was when my DH and I were in the hot tub. We were just sitting there enjoying the music of the band right next to our heads and the surroundings when we spotted a very very large man with what can only be described as a hair shirt. It was not so much the hair shirt but what he was doing, picking crumbs out of his Fur and eating them. As he got closer, we realized there was not just crumbs but what looked like the remnants of a cheese burger. We are talking ketsup, mustard and crumbs. Then it happend, he walked over to the hot tub. There is only a narrow ( with him standing in it) starway leading to the hot tub. He climbs in and sits right in front of the exit. We were trapped with the large man, his hair shirt and the leftovers from lunch. After trying to excuse ourselves twice we realized, not only could he not hear us but did not speak english.Trapped with no way out! We were finally saved by his model looking wife who said something in what I think was Greek and appologized to us. Thank god for buligual understanding wives.

74. Craig
      October 28th, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

Speaking of \scary moments\…My wife & I were just starting an October cruise on NCL’s old SS Norway. Moments after the ship left the pier, my wife who never gets seasick, starts feeling a little bit queezey! To make a long story short…we discovered she wasn’t \Seasick\ she was \Pregnant\! This was totally unexpected, as evidenced by her bolting from the rest room in front of all of us, with her underwear around her knees, waving a positive test stick while screaming at me in shock & horror. I’m not sure what upset her the most…a surprise pregnancy or having to deny herself any alcohol for the rest of the week!

75. Karen Boblett
      October 28th, 2011 @ 9:08 pm

We just got back from a cruise on the Star Clippers Star Flyer that for almost two straight days was the cruise from hell. My husband and I awoke around 2:30 am on the night of October 7th, 2011, and the bed was rocking back and forth along with the whole room. At first we just laid there hoping it would all go away, but of course it didn’t. We looked out our porthole and could see only rushing water coming on the sides of the ship. We decided to get up and then the seasickness came over us completely. We spent the next many hours puking and feeling like we were surely going to die.

Of course, we weren’t notified that this weather was upon us outside of the Captain telling some people that the weather might get a little rough that evening. We finally made it upstairs to the inside bar around five am feeling very very sick. We had just talked to the ship’s nurse who advised us to go upstairs and hopefully the fresh air would help us get over the dry heaves. She went beyond duty that evening, getting very sick and still going to passengers cabins and giving shots to those who wanted them.

When we arrived at the inside bar, there were others much sicker then us. We could hear the dishes breaking and things flying around above and below us where the kitchen was. How they were able to get a breakfast buffet together was beyond me that morning as over half of the crew was as ill as we were. The buffet at lunch was discontinued and the kitchen crew had cold sandwiches and salads for those who could eat. They all went out of their way that day even though they had broken dishes all over the kitchen and waiters very very sick along with other kitchen help.

That day we missed our stop in San Tropez as they made no headway against the winds/mistrals that the boat had encountered. We sat there looking out the porthole watching the water go over the porthole. It was all very frightening for many people. We finally arrived in Cannes late that afternoon and picked up people for the next week’s cruise.

That night, the weather became violent again with the surf going over the top deck and by morning many persons who got on in Cannes were very very sick. They did put up the rails on the beds that night which was totally not done the first night. The first night an elderly lady fell out of bed and broke her arm. I fell against furniture in the cabin and had large bruises on my leg and arm. That night we requested Dramamine from the Nursing station and we didn’t get sick from the tossing and turning of the bed and cabin that went on all night long. We had no faith in the management telling us what would happen that night so we decided to take matters into our own hands and request the tablets which we took three times a day for two days until we felt as if the weather had now subsided in Mallorca. We missed another stop in Menorca that next day out of Cannes.

A couple nights later the Captain, a nice man from Sweden, but not their regular Captain sat with us at dinner. He made it a habit to sit with people each night. When I asked him why he didn’t give the crew –especially the kitchen people Dramamine tablets, well, he answered me in a rather arrogant manner, telling us at the table that they were at sea. We felt along with others that the management did a very poor job in informing the passengers of what was going on and that the crew members were much more helpful then the Captain, Senior crew under the Captain, and Hotel Manager.

The second day of this the management was no where to be seen. They didn’t close off the outside tropical bar and people were sitting there with waves of 20-30 ft hitting the sail boat. The management seemed to be more interested that morning in selling drinks then the safety of their bartenders and passengers. A large wave went over the ship and pushed a heavy bench across the tropical bar floor and into a man and his wife sitting across from this moving bench. It crashed into his legs and luckily he didn’t break his legs. A lot of us felt he shouldn’t have been out there and the bar should have been closed down with everyone sitting inside and not outside in the open with a chance of waves crashing upon the bar. There was no one of authority watching what was going on and luckily for this man, two doctor passengers were on board and able to assist him immediately. Finally, the nurse came but without her case. The man’s legs are bleeding and he had to go back and get his case. The doctors told the nurse what to do and they told the passenger what to do with his injuries. It was just mass chaos until the Doctors showed up. We wouldn’t sail with Star Clippers again because of this incident and the lack of management helping the passengers during this trial on the sea. You sign a waiver before getting on, so apparently this isn’t the first time this ship has had problems with the weather. Some passengers who had sailed with them numerous times before had never encountered weather like this and they were surprised that people were not given better warning on both nights of what to expect/or go into the closest port which was Genoa, Italy and sit it out. Because they had passengers to pick up in Cannes, the Captain or management of Star Clippers made the call to sail in this terrible storm.

76. Janet
      October 29th, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

My horror story is nothing like most of the others, but it did stop my DH from stepping on a cruise ship for more than 20 years. My parents talked us into booking a 3 day cruise to Nassau on the Galileo (I believe it was the Dolphin line) — swore we would be upgraded, which of course we weren’t. So, we were in an inside room, small, dirty, several levels below deck. We had to pay cash for drinks and the entire ship seemed to be packed with drunken gross people playing their boomboxes (remember them?) at top volume. Food was barely edible. We got to Nassau, which was terribly disappointing. Then, as we were leaving, then engine stopped working & they had to wait until a part was flown in from Miami. We were 1/2 day late getting back. Horrible, horrible experience. I finally talked my DH to go on Crystal Serenity to the Meditteranean, promising him it would be different. He wasn’t ready to believe me, but discovered that there really is a difference between sailing the Meditteranean on crystal for 14 days and sailing to Nassau on the Galileo.

77. Rick
      October 30th, 2011 @ 1:59 am

On RCI’s Voyager out of Galveston last year, we woke up the first morning to find black flakes all over our white bedspread. They claimed to have fixed it 3 times but never did. They finally moved us to a mini-suite for the rest of that cruise. We had booked a B2B and they said (after procrastinating for 5 days) that there were no other cabins available for our second cruise but they swore that the problem had been fixed. The last night of the first cruise, there were still black flakes on the bed. We told them we were leaving the ship when it reached Galveston and we were told you won’t get your money back…….WRONG! It took a lot of effort but we got full credit for a future cruise. To make matters worse, the crew lied to the corporate office, they told them that we had departed the ship in the middle of the second cruise, which we were able to prove was a lie. We call it our cruise from hell and we’ll never set foot on Voyager of the Seas again! It wasn’t just that there were flakes on our bedspread, if they were falling onto our bedspread, we were probably breathing that crap.

78. Helena Sowden
      October 30th, 2011 @ 6:28 am

Scary well???? Princess cruise around New Zealand, wonderful room balcony looking at the stars!!!!! Whallah, something in our cabin???? Scratch,scratch,moving around, i laid listening,it was pitch black!!!! Oh my god!!! it wa still moving,it seemed to be dragging itself acroos the floor, woke my husband,terrified, he could hear IT!!!! out of bed walked around the end of the cabin trying to find the light (1st night aboard) around the corner walk in robe, bathroom, oh my GOD it was on the floor, a huge black thing!!! thought it was a cat??? Found the light by this time it was in the wardrobe buried behind our suitcases, and ?? AGHH a huge Black bird!!!! My husband got a towel threw it over the birdpicked it up placed it on the balcony and it flew off!!!

79. Sandra
      October 30th, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

Crossing the bay of biscay one rough November we where the only guests in the crow’s nest (deck 12ish) when a large wave hit the windows. The waiter screamed !

Another time :

Being told by the captain, “where ever you are now sit down immediately ! We have turn the ship into the storm so we can board up the windows on deck 5″. 3 windows had blown in, while crusing in typhoon winds crossing the pacific.

80. Connie Menoni
      October 30th, 2011 @ 7:30 pm

Who ever commented earlier on about the Veendam encountering the hurricane aroung Cape Horn was right on. We were on the ship. We have the Captain’s log, showing 98 foot waves and 101 mph wind. AND it went on for abou 16 hours!!!!

81. Ed Bell
      October 30th, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

While on a Carnival cruise Dec. 01 around midnight I was on the lido deck watching the moon reflect off the ocean. A favorite part of a cruise. I then saw a light coming towards the ship. It was soon clear it was a plane. It just kept coming and then finally turned and flew past the starboard side of the ship. It was a jet fighter and close enough I could see the pilot in the moon light as it buzzed the ship. Being so close to 9/11 it was more than a little concerning. Only a couple others saw it but as passengers heard about it, many ask me about it for the rest of the cruise. I didn’t see any marking indentifying the plane.

82. Sandra
      October 31st, 2011 @ 12:06 am

We went on the brilliant ship Rhapsody of the Seas 2008 to NZ at about 2am we made our way back from nightclub and suddenly the deck ceilings began to cave in with what looked like a Niagara falls the crew stood around not knowing what to do and it was a good half hour before the engineers appeared … many pipes had burst in the ceiling and yeah we thought oh another poiseden adventure..on the same cruise the Captain crashed the ship into a port and was mysteriously sent home on leave.then the divers were flown in from Miami to fix it…actually the cruise was really great apart from that.and RCCL is an excellent company.
      also in 1990 went on cruiseship and the company allowed the tour operater to admit a partially mentaly disabled girl go on a bike ride in Noumea next thing shes dead over a cliff…the company said to everyone who was devesated and without any remorse it seemed…that night come on everyone the show must go on !! thought that was very strange.

83. Vickie
      October 31st, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

It was 1990 and My Family and I had booked a Cruise on a Cruise Ship out of Odessa Russia. We were going via the St. Lawrence Sea Way into the north Sea Islands. Our Cabin was at the bow of the ship, We had big windows all around with rails. On our first night out of the Sea Way into the Ocean we were hit with a ferocious North Sea Storm. The wind whipped up and the rain fell sideways. It kept building through the night the wind grew stronger and stronger as the waves crashed over the decks and blasted our windows. Colors in the sky were flashing through the wind and rain giving an eery green glow to late night hours. Not a soul on the ship could sleep a wink that night.
      Suddenly, the storm lessened and we saw massive Whales rising, blowing and descending again. We had a pod of Whales surrounding our ship.

84. GLENDA COSENZA
      October 31st, 2011 @ 11:04 pm

I’ve been on 8 cruises, including a river cruise last year (Uniworld, Rhine River). I love cruising. Been in some rough weather — but nothing I could not handle. Staff have always been polite and helpful. Met some nice people on cruises — seen some weird ones too. Best ship: Holland America can’t recall the exact name — Boston to Montreal via St. Lawrence Seaway — wonderful itinerary. Beautiful ship with very spacious staterooms even in the peanut gallery section. Not too large — like the Princess ship we were on from San Juan whose top deck is 17 stories above the water. Yikes.

85. cruise pup
      November 1st, 2011 @ 7:59 am

Scariest time on a cruise was when I shared an elevator with a man who had the worst body odor. Here comes the scary part. He was assigned to my dinner table. I quickly put down my menu, said I didn’t see anything I liked and left the table. I then had myself re-assigned to another deck of the dining room.

86. Joe Leslie
      November 1st, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

We were cruising on either Celebrity or RCCL a few years ago when the power failed, way out to sea. This was one of the few cruises where we’ve taken an inside cabin. The emergency lights all came on, as expected, in the hallways but not in our windowless cabin. The engines stopped and the lights went out. Folks, you have never experienced such deafening silence in your life! If you live way out in the country on a farm, you’d at least hear crickets. Nothing! Everything was fine within a half-hour, nobody paniced and we now have a wonderful experience under our collective belt. I no longer fear death… the silence will be glorious!

87. julie slattery
      November 2nd, 2011 @ 9:37 am

Okay, a different kind of scary: We were on a quick RC five-day cruise with four other couples to celebrate their anniversary. I went to our cabin to take a nap after too much sun. Woke up with our 6’2″ cabin steward standing at the foot of the bed staring at me. So spooky, I’d pulled the shades and it was very dark and there was this hulking figure just silently watching me. I was speechless; he said “Did you need anything?” I shook my head and he stayed there for another long long moment before leaving. I told my husband and we decided to assume he made a mistake. Should have reported it, but it was so weird. Really hope he didn’t do it to anyone else. When we saw him again, he was all smiles, but, of course I never went to the room alone, or anywhere alone, for the rest of that cruise. Now, years later, I keep an eye on all the kids and teens who cruise with us; I get to know all the staff and check on the girls if they go nap for long periods. Since then, though, on several cruise lines, we’ve only had really kind stewards and no further incidents.

88. Eileen
      November 2nd, 2011 @ 11:52 am

About 8 years ago we left NYC on an RCL Caribbean cruise. First second we got into our cabin we heard Ain’t love a kick in the head blaring from our cabin nextdoor. The guy had brought a boombox on board. We complained to the room steward and also the Purser’s desk. Nothing changed – loud Sinatra music blaring from the balcony. We returned to the Purser the next day, after a sleepless night of this guy playing music and fighting with his wife. We were told that he visited the Purser looking for some lost luggage and got so angry, he tried to jump over the counter and lunge at the Purser. Fast forward to him figuring out it was his nextdoor neighbor that complained. He jumped over the balcony and tried to force his way into our cabin. Security was posted outside our door all night and he was forced off the ship the next day in St. Thomas. Had to fight with RCL to get comped for 3 sleepless/anxious nights.

89. John
      November 3rd, 2011 @ 7:18 am

I guess I have been lucky since my story is not as terrifying as the others, but I took a cruise on the Costa Fortuna and had to eat their cooking for 5 days. It was horrible, I tell you horrible.

90. Lynne Coppoletta
      November 21st, 2011 @ 6:07 pm

Try being at sea in a hurricane of Royal Caribbean! We were on a weekend cruise on the Enchantment of the Sea in October of 2005 with friend (old time saying girlfriend). Hurricane Jean hit Florida. 60 for seas and 100 mph winds!! We were sitting with our arms on the window on the 14th (?) floor when ‘blue water’ broke over the windows. Nassau put us out as other ships were coming in. They closed Port Everglades. We had to go into Miami but had to wait out because we were not on schedule and other ships were due in first. A four day cruise turned into a six day cruise. There were sick people complaining all over the ship. do have to say, as both of us are experienced \yachtswomen\, we knew the Captain knew exactly what he was doing and handled the vessel excellently .It is true! Check with RCCL

91. justin
      January 1st, 2012 @ 10:00 am

Often it is how you handle that what befalls you.

1 ten cruise was full of misadventure

1.) I travel with my wife, that often forgets to take a key when wandering the halls. so the door gets locked open (with tape?)

I did not realize the tape, and had gone to bed, some middle age lady with 2 drinks past her limit, climbs into bed, and I assumed she was the wife, But something was amiss, (I was still partly sleeping, but the smell of smoke and gin was disconcerting, I was about to inquire, when the lights come on and my wife starts fretting quite louding, that I was being far to freindly.

As you can imagine the noise and clamour woke up our bedmate.

The next evening, we all had a laugh, the wayward lady’s husband, bought us a bottle of wine , and the steward, gave my wife a 2nd key, to use if she got locked out.

2) These trip also enjoy 1 very rough early morning at sea, with the exterior port doors blocked with crew members warning us of the danger, waves were only 5 to 7 metres high, meaning if you went to lowest level, (with only portholes) you see the waves cover them.

I enjoyed the rough seas, as it empties the dining halls, the pool and hyro pool are more fun, and the strong breezes (on deck) give you Sea Experience.

3)As I speak dutch and Bahasia Indonesian, I got to hear the ship crew’s gossip, about the misadventures of Crew and passengers, A couple 2 cabin stern of mine had been arguing, 3 evening in a row, it seems the cabins closest had complained a) yellers had balcony doors open often, b) sound as if the female was throwing stuff around,

Bottom line secuirty split them up, and after further physical encounters in public areas, the “lady” was detained in her cabin and then put off the ship in St, Thomas

Quite an adventure, hopefully not be repeated (except for the evening visitor)

92. Pete S
      January 22nd, 2012 @ 1:53 am

I was on the ship mentioned in Diane’s (post 17 )the Carnival Tropical, January 17th 1988. My room was down stairs. We too were told to leave the dining room because of the severe tipping, they gave us a hand full of crackers to take back to our room. We got back to the room and the waves were smashing against the window, very scary. People were puking all over the place. We had to wedge a few pieces of furniture that weren’t fixed because of the sliding. Eventually someone knocked on our door, and was some stinky guys from what I assume to be the engine room, didn’t speak english. They came in and attached metal plates over our window with self tapping screws. That night the power went out, people were screaming. Apparently one of the two stablizers went out, and the ship really started rocking. At one point, one of the tips, it felt like we were going over, it wasn’t tipping back. At that point all the screaming stopped, and there was dead silence. Very eary. I and every person I spoke to on that ship thought we were goners. Eventually it tipped back. After that, the night went on and on, major waves, I was scared to death. We were told that the ship had to start taking the waves head on, .. as it did, you could feel the whole ship shake when the prop came out of the water. We were off of San Diego all night, taking the waves head on. In the morning, it was still real windy, but not like it was that night, and as Diane stated, we had to turn around the ship and circle a spot where someone on a freighter fell overboard and was waving at us as we past. We were told they found the body of the person on the shore of Mexico. When the week was over, we pulled back into San Pedro, and all the news stations were interviewing us. We were national news. 6 or so months later I got a letter from Carnival offering me 25% off my next cruise (the letter said it was because of the storm). I laughed, that was my first and last cruise I ever went on. Besides being scared to death, I ate way too much. Gained 10 lbs.

93. Pete S
      January 22nd, 2012 @ 1:58 am

I meant to reference post 15, not 17

94. red rocker
      January 31st, 2012 @ 1:02 am
    95. Vicki
      June 24th, 2012 @ 6:58 pm

Chaperoning a group of 150 high school music students on a spring vacation to Ketchikan, Alaska – our ship – the Malaspina – came upon quite a storm as we entered into the shipping channels on our way north. The story I loved best was what happened to the flour and sugar bins in the galley. They are suspended, but in this case – they made a couple loops – 360 degrees worth and cast their contents all over the place.

96. Roger Thomas
      May 31st, 2013 @ 6:09 pm

Enjoying the site!My wife and i were enjoying our first cruise on Adenture of the Seas back in November 2010 when one day we got a little fright.We ere having a little knap one morning after a night’s indulgence when a horrifying groan struck the ship as if from within.I noticed my wife physically sliding down the bed and this seemed abit weird.i remember opening the cabin door and half expecting to see water rushing down the isle towards me in some ‘Titanic’like nightmare but luckily there was none and it eemed we were the only ones to notice that aomething had gone wrong!Next an announcement on the tannoy from the captain appollogised for a ‘computer error’!!The ship had listed suddenly when a stabalizer had slipped.Rather disconerting when your new to cruises!Luckily no further problem occured and we went on to cruise on Brilliance/Dubai worry free and are booked for Allure of the Seas/Eastern Caribbean so fingers crossed,it was a one-off!Funny how nobody else seemed to be alarmed,perhaps they were all fast asleep?

97. Marilou
      September 23rd, 2013 @ 10:57 pm

i was googling ‘is it scary to cruise transatlantic?’ when i stumbled upon this site. your stories amazed and amused me :-) we are first time cruisers and we took the 7-day Alaska cruise from Seattle – Alaska – Vancouver. Going north-bound was smooth, that’s what I really expected of a cruise. Going south-bound to Victoria, the captain announced that the last port of call in Victoria had to be cancelled due to a typhoon and the ship had to be detoured. No big deal, we’re from Vancouver, so i thought. we were awakened at 4ish AM by the rocking of the ship and my mother who had a heart problem was breathing heavily due to nervousness. I was praying, Lord not in the middle of the storm!!! It was really scary to watch the big waves hit your ship when you have watched Titanic for a thousand times. Thank God, we got home safe and I am typing this comment :-)