Oh, Snap! The Problem With Camera Hogs

October 18, 2011 | By | 90 Comments

sea-mail-logo
Pity the poor person stuck behind a camera hog. You know the type: They’re the passengers who dominate the best views in port and block traffic at the coolest attractions so they can nab the “perfect photo” — while you wait and wait and wait. I asked on the Cruise Critic Facebook page if this was a problem for many people in port, and Amy Badon Gray fired the first salvo. “I cannot stand camera hogs, I am there to enjoy the sights, sounds and smells. I am so over waiting for people to take pictures.”

The question arose last week when I was on a shore excursion from Corfu to Albania’s Butrint, a famous Greco-Roman site. There was this one guy who constantly disrupted the tour. It wasn’t that he moved too slow or asked our guide too many pesky questions. The problem? His camera kept getting in the way. At every interesting spot – and there were many – this Ansel Adams wannabe would plant himself squarely at the most perfect viewing spot so he could snap the best possible vista. Hundreds of snaps.
It was hard for anyone else to get a clean look much less take his or own photos. And I wondered: Was he unusually annoying or are camera hogs taking over our shore excursions? Hence, the Facebook discussion.
Some had experiences to comparable to mine. Sue Adam reported that “on a very small … whale-watching boat in Lahaina last spring, each time the whales would show up on the opposite side of this small boat, those directly in front of the whales would jump up instead of taking their picture from where they were sitting.” And John Adams, who noted that he doesn’t take many pictures himself, sometimes becomes a photographer’s piñata. “My only problem,” he shared, “has been with people elbowing in front of me to get their own photos while I’m looking at something.”
True, there were a few who joined in on the Facebook conversation to simply say “No, they’re not a problem.” Heck, if you really aren’t bothered at all by camera hogs, all I can say is you’ve achieved a far superior Zen state than mine. But I was moved by the folks who say they try hard to let photo hogs have their space – and apologize if they’ve walked through a photo — and those by photo enthusiasts who try to find offbeat outposts onboard or onshore if they want to snap.
What was telling in the discussion was how far apart the two camps – photo hogs and the travelers they annoy – really are. I agreed with Amy and her statement that she was “so over waiting for people to take pictures,” but then she got herself into trouble with this comment: “Move on with your camera, you don’t need a thousand pictures. And really at the end of the day, what are you going to do with all those pictures? Take a picture with your eyes and store it in your memory.”
The photo brigade shot back.
Wrote Cindy Rolfs Kasten: “I just read Amy’s remark above. I can (am able and am allowed) take as many photos as I please.” Bob Cumiskey concurred: “I have been known to take 500+ pictures and videos on a cruise and I don’t think I’ve ever blocked anyone’s shot. I try [my] best to be courteous and have lots of patience for those that don’t.”
But even the travelers they annoy aren’t angels. “I can’t stand camera hogs,” writes Jan Lederer. “I usually give them a hard elbow — they move then.”
Are you a photo hog? A traveler they annoy? How do they coexist?
What should we talk about next in Sea-Mail? Tell us what’s on your mind at lido@cruisecritic.com.
Read other Sea-Mail columns on duty-free-shopping ripoffs, saving tables at the buffet, the death of cruise traditions and bad balcony behavior.
Get your own Lido Deck subscription.

Comments

90 Responses to “Oh, Snap! The Problem With Camera Hogs”

1. Jim Bellomo
      October 18th, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

500 pictures? Is that all? On my average long cruise (ie Azamara 14 day in SE Asia last year) I will take around 3,500 pictures. My buddy Mike takes more than that. And yet we both try very hard NEVER to get in anyone’s way. In fact, I hate it when people go out of their way to get out of my way. With the advent of digital, it’s no big deal if you step in front of me. Go ahead. I can wait and take 5 more later. I usually either go ahead of the pack or stay behind the pack. And I hardly EVER go on any ship’s shore excursions. I prefer private with 6 to 8 people max.

And what do we do with these pics. We do websites. For other cruisers to look at who are going to the same place.

I would venture to say that not one person who has a problem with these “camera hogs” (which is really a misnomer since they aren’t hogging anyone’s camera but their own) does not have a problem with them because they are taking too many pictures but because they are just plain rude people. On the ship they are probably the same people who are chair hogs, wear jeans in the dining room on formal night, save tables at the buffet and exhibit bad balcony behavior.

2. angusm
      October 18th, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

i never have a problem with shutter bugs there
      there are more annoying things that happen
      on board like people saving seats etc

3. Jeff Goldberg
      October 18th, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

I am absolutely one of the voluminous photog’s on a cruise. I took nearly 2,000 pictures on a recent cruise to Alaska (some are posted at http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffagoldberg/collections/72157627384091618/). However, I try not to bother anyone. I generally lag behind a tour or wait my turn. Also, I am very willing to share. As such, people around us are generally willing to offer a “prized spot” because they know I will share the picture with them or even capture a picture with them in it. It all seems to work out.

The people who are the most frustrated by this are not my fellow passengers. Rather, it’s my family. They are the ones tired of me saying, “Please hold this” or “wait one sec” or “can you stand over there for a minute”, etc.

Yes, I am a camera hog and proud of it. Look for me at 5am on the front of the ship to catch sunrise.

4. Marc L.
      October 18th, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

The only time these self-proclaimed photographers are in the way is when they are –literally– in the way. As in they block the path for others and leave no room to walk around them. I find that ‘accidentally’ bumping into them gets them to move pretty quickly.

The other breed of self-proclaimed photographers who waste precious air are the ones who act all insulted when you walk in front of them (thank you Jim for being the exact opposite!) Face it, if you’re going to stand across the sidewalk/deck to get your shot, people are going to get in the way. Wait and proceed in 5 seconds.

But this is rare and most people are very good about it.

5. Wyn
      October 18th, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

And then all those who are annoyed ask for our photos later on….

6. Cindy Kasten
      October 18th, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

The rest of my original comment was that I take upwards of 150 photos a day on a cruise. In the eve. before I turn in, I download them on to my laptop and delete some and label the others. Just recently, I was looking at pictures from one of our cruises 2 years ago as I’d like to go back to St. Kitts and St. Lucia. It helps me plan excursions for our next cruise. Also, I LOVE looking at our cruise pictures while the snow blows here in Nebraska…it gives me hope.

7. CalBerry
      October 18th, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

I try to do a blog while on a cruise so people back home can see how much fun we are having ;-) So I take a lot of pics for that purpose, and also to help me remember what we actually saw each day. On a 7 day Disney Mexican Riviera cruise last year I took close to 3,000 pics (with 2 grand kids how could I not?). But on a 2 week Panama Canal cruise a year and half ago I took just short of 7,000 pictures…1,340 on the day of the actual crossing. I figure that was roughly one pic every 30 seconds. Needless to say I was not in one place very long and tried to be ‘in and out’ before anyone could even see me ;-)

8. cruisin'grandma
      October 18th, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

I love those who take tons of photos and place them on sites like this or on their own web sites. I love searching for any and all pics that get me pumped for my upcoming cruise. I don’t usually even take a camera along anymore. Unless it is just to get pics of us and our traveling companions. When you think about it, pictures should always have people in them. It makes them much more memorable. But…I like the scenery and ship pictures that others take, so that I can concentrate on my own pics of people I love and love to be with. So…..snap away. And don’t forget to post those pics for those like me. And….I thank you!!!

9. fice
      October 18th, 2011 @ 11:27 pm

I have no problem with camera hogs, EXCEPT with the photographers of the cruise line, what a nasty people, sometimes are so abusive like in embarking. Why can I refuse to buy drinks but I can’t to be taken pictures ?

10. Franz
      October 19th, 2011 @ 1:55 am

I admit, I’m taking 1.500+ pictures on a 7-night cruise, but usually I’m not on tours, but find my own spots. It’s the way photo hog behave – do they respect, that there are others who want to take a picture (or a view!), or do they think the world is there just for themselves?

An aspect that hasn’t been mentioned is the “picture reviewing hogs” – occasional phototographers who place themselves at the best spot, taking one picture, then switch their camera to play mode and review the picture for at least 5 minutes before they take another shot from the same position, reviewing it another 5 minutes, not moving at all, while 20 others are waiting to take their picture. Most annoying: They’re standing directly in front of the main attractions, as their cheap cameras don’t seam to have a zoom lense – blocking the view for everyone else. And for some reason, theye “photo reviewing hogs” always seam to care for neon yellow or green clothes which looks really great in a picture of ancient Rome or a wonderful church interior …

11. Anne
      October 19th, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Why didn’t Amy Badon and Sue Adam and others just say something to the photo hogs? We were on a recent trip to Cambodia and Viet Nam and we had a guy named Harold that would take his photo and walk on into the shot and not allow others to take their photo. He was in all the photos. Finally, I spoke up and asked Harold to wait until the rest of us got our shot before he proceeded. I don’t think he was even aware that he was doing this!

12. Holly
      October 19th, 2011 @ 10:28 am

I think the generalization that camera hogs are all annoying is really ridiculous. It depends on the person. A rude and inconsiderate person is rude and inconsiderate of others whether they have a camera in hand or not. If you are thoughtful and considerate of those around you on a regular basis you will be with a camera too. This is not an issue with people who enjoy taking lots of pictures. This is an issue with people who are self-involved and don’t care about other peoples experiences.

And as to the comment about “accidentally” bumping into someone to get them to move out of the way…. How about simply saying “excuse me” to the person instead? You’re annoyed by rude people standing in your way, but somehow you think purposely walking into them is acceptable? I don’t understand that.

I think most people are happy to move when asked, and are mostly apologetic when they discover they were in someone’s way. Maybe standing in the path isn’t the best way to behave either, but you hardly get to chastise someone for their behavior when your solution to it is equally as bad, if not worse.

13. Jason
      October 19th, 2011 @ 10:34 am

I’d rather deal with 10 shutterbugs than 1 smoker.

14. Erin
      October 19th, 2011 @ 10:38 am

It’s a two way street isn’t it? I don’t like to take photos with a whole bunch of people I don’t know crowding into it. So, I move to the side and wait. It can be very irritating when some people seemingly take pleasure out of extending that wait by playing on and around whatever it is I’m trying to take a picture of even as they make eye contact with me. It’s always obvious from the way I’m holding the camera that I am there to take a picture and not to just to stand around. And then, they get irritated when I ask if they can give me a second or two to take my picture. And that’s all it takes me to snap a photograph or two, because by that time I’ve scoped out the right angle and have my photo op all set up.

15. Mike
      October 19th, 2011 @ 10:52 am

I learned a long time ago that I won’t likely get an outstanding picture. If you want great pictures, buy the guide/souvenir books where the pictures are taken by licensed professionals under perfectly controlled conditions. The pictures I take are just proof that we were there.

16. Richard
      October 19th, 2011 @ 11:54 am

WYN: Of course we ask for you photos. WE CAN’T GET OUT OWN!

17. Ray Hague
      October 19th, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

Camera hogs are part of the reality of travel, especially so regarding cruise shore excursions. I try to keep in mind that many folks does not cruise as frequently and extensively as we do here on Cruisecritic…for these folks this may be their one and only chance to see and photograph areas of interest. I have SO many photos that “camera hogs” are a minor irritant (especially when compared to the loud, sloppy, and drunken cruisers).

18. Jack Morris
      October 19th, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

Make a friend out of the fellow traveler with the camera. Ask her/him to shoot a few of you and your companion and send them to you. Share email addresses and one day the pictures arrive and all that annoyance about picture takers crowding the viewing will be for not.

The above website displays my two September 2011 voyages on the Queen Mary 2. We had no ports so we had no photographers blocking our views of the Atlantic Ocean.

19. B&B
      October 19th, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

We cruise 2X per year at least, and have never ever been bothered by folks who are taking pictures…the photographers must be bothering each other, perhaps?

I have been known to be annoyed by folks throwing the scoop/tongs into the food after they serve themselves, putting their hand gunk into the entire tray. YUCK!! There is always a system in place where you should put the service item, usually a plate in front of the pan.

Saving tables at the buffet is also unfair unless you have an unusually large family or a baby.

Nudists on the balconies below never bothered us either, only seen it a couple of times and it was actually quite entertaining.

20. Beth
      October 19th, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

If I can, I try to stay out of another’s shot by being aware of my surroundings. Those people who wander into your shot are either clueless or self absorbed egotists. What really galls me are those shooting videos who think they have the right of way, pushing & shoving to get ahead.

21. Matty
      October 19th, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

The more annoying cruisers are those who insist on playing cards or other games at the tables in the Lido Restaurant dining area during the peak breakfast and lunch times when many people are looking and waiting for a table so they may eat their meal. The people playing games at the tables show no concern and make it known they feel they have every right to do so. The staff try to talk to them but to no avail and are not ready to enforce action to be taken. any Passengers trying to resolve usually just end up in an embarrising situation and back off. I have sometimes just sat down at the table in an empty chair or pulled one over and began eating my meal. They have asked me to move, but I have said that I have as much if not more right to sit and eat as that is what the table is there for during meal hours and if they were eating I would have asked them first before I sat down but they are just taking up eating spaces.
      Not sure what can be done, maybe signs need to be posted in the dining area and clearly outlined in the Cruise Ship literature etc.

22. Marel
      October 19th, 2011 @ 12:55 pm

That is not annoying, who knew, it could be their last trip?

Most annoying for me is, when the same cruise ship staff tries to flirt with my friend at the dance floor, lounge and sometimes at the port of call! He’s thrilled at the attention. I’m not!

23. Karaokelady
      October 19th, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

Never had a problem with shutter bugs. My worst nightmare on a cruise are the dreaded “CHAIR HOGS!!!”

24. Ralph
      October 19th, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

Seems to me that this entire exchange of opinions
      is unbecoming of anyone with a degree of tolerance and less egotism.
      Banal subject matter.
      Once we get into ‘who does what”, the list of annoyances and annoyers is endless.
      It’s a tough world all right, lol !

25. Valerie
      October 19th, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

I usually take 1000s of photos since I have to delete more than half — pictures of the backs and sides of people’s heads. The worst was on the South America cruise when a “nice” lady pushed in front of me to take her own pictures of the glaciers.

26. Jason sucks
      October 19th, 2011 @ 1:44 pm

I’d rather deal with a hundred crack addicts than one Jason.

27. Sue
      October 19th, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

What really bugs me are the “statue” hogs that have to take an individual picture of every member of their (large) party in front of that wonderful Greek statue

28. vanessa
      October 19th, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

The camera hogs only bother me on board the ship on formal nights. They want to stand at the top or bottom of a staircase and block traffic while folks are trying to get to dinner or wherever it is they are going. Let the ship photogs take the formal shots. They are prettier anyway.

29. Stefan
      October 19th, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

I concur with Erin’s response. I too take lotsof photo’s on trips. A recent china trip (18 days) saw 7,000 photo’s between myslef and my partner. It is a once in a lifetime trip and to be able to share those images. The reason we have to take so many of these photo’s is that so many people get in the way as we are taking a photo. Like erin suggests, if you see someone trying to take a picture without a throng of people in them to get the sense of the space, then be mindful of that as well. Some people like myself use the photo’s for professional work (not photography). have some unknown person ruins the image.

Like others have mentined, I usually get e-mail addresses from people without cameras to send them some of my images.

30. LadyJag
      October 19th, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

Seriously?!? I can’t believe anyone thought this subject was worthy of a discussion. Yes, there are, and forever will be, people who always seem to “get in the way” with their cameras, children, maps, giant backpacks, and/or shopping bags. It’s part of traveling to any tourist spot. You’re going to encounter the oblivious people who are too self-absorbed to think about those around them. In fact, I’m willing to bet that there have been times when every single person here has been one of those oblivious people.
      But you know what? All you have to do when you encounter such people is say, “excuse me, I’d like to…[take a picture, get by, talk to someone behind them, etc.]” and ask them to step aside. You don’t have to assault them with an elbow to the ribs or try any other passive-aggressive tactics. Talk about rude!

31. Kennicott
      October 19th, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

“Camera Hog”, to me is just one of many subtitles under the “Push and Shove” category, so common with the cruise ship crowd nowadays. My irritation rankings are:

1. Loud mouths at dining tables or in dining areas espousing their eccentric views about politics and the human worldly condition.

2. Those who have no compunction over offering their critical analysis of everybody and everything. Mom didn’t teach them: “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything.”

3. Push and Shove types.

4. Self determined experts on the cruise, expounding upon geography, cultural aspects, history, etc. pertinent to the area the ship is visiting at the time. More often than not their opinion is in error. Dare not correct them or you have a verbal rhubarb on your hands.

5. Travelers constantly bellyaching over everything, including the ship and comparing this and that to their previous cruise experiences, which in their opinion was much better. Makes one wonder why they ever booked passage in the first place on this ship.

32. Lynda
      October 19th, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

I take too many pictures myself; but I’m not a picture hog. However, I HAVE experienced them. A simple, polite and with a smile may I scoot in and get a shot for a sec usually gets me what I need.

33. Cheryl
      October 19th, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

It seems that too many people are bothered by too many things. Do they actually enjoy their vacations? I’m not bothered by photographers, smokers, non-smokers, line-hoppers, seat-savers, or much else. I’m having too much fun. Lighten up and enjoy the world.

34. Gord Wilkins
      October 19th, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

I may fall into the \camera hog\ category, if the definition includes those passengers who get up extra early to get a good spot on deck to take some good shots coming into port. Those who come later and expect me to relinquish my spot are in for disappointment. I will indeed move for the person who politely asks for a moment in \my space\ to grab a shot. To others who are rude or simply expect me to move get NOTHING. They are the problem, not me!
      Gordon Wilkins

35. Paul M
      October 19th, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

Generally it’s not the camera hogging on excursions that annoys me most. It’s what happens when the ship arrives at the spectacular glacier on the South American or Alaskan cruise, a major lock on the Panama Canal, or coming into the harbors of places like Valetta, Malta, or St. George, Bermuda. You know, those places where camera/view hogs will belly up to the railing with the best view and just reside there when others are patiently waiting for them to finish taking their shot and give someone else a chance to document the moment. Make all the eye contact with them you might, you’ll never get them to realize they might be exceedingly rude.

36. Joe
      October 19th, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

I’ll tell ‘ya like it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

For EVERY one COURTEOUS dude or dudette there are 100 obnoxious little man and woman children on a cruise. And the “photo op” is no exception. The video crew is the worst.

And YUP Mr. FIVE HUNDRED PHOTOS you have a RIGHT to snap away and I, SNAPPER have a RIGHT to walk right on through your click fest to keep up with the tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I’ll do it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and by the by the WORST of the WORST of pax are the ones who push their way past defenseless old folks and the line cutters and rule breakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah you all know who you are, disgusting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37. Joe
      October 19th, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

And despite all those BOZOS I have a fantastic time every time cause these boards let me vent and on the ship I don’t give a hoot!!!!!!!!!!

I just chortle at the dumb dumbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. Krvin Jones
      October 19th, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

The most annoying photographers are the ones that work for the cruise line and actually try to strong arm passengers into taking some artificial photo with a crew member dressed up as a pirate. That is by far the most annoying person on the cruise.

39. John Olesky
      October 19th, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

If there’s a camera hog who won’t move, ever, then tell the tour director. It’s up to the tour director to then instruct those who take photos to take their shuts (several, not hundreds), then move aside for the next person. It’s better to irritate one camera hog than a hundred or a thousand fellow passengers.

But my experience has been that most people go out of their way to NOT get into YOUR photos, to the point of walking around you, or just stopping till you take your one or two photos.

Moderation and consideration for others is the key. If someone is too oblivious for too long, a simple “Can someone else take photos from there now?” might do. Although in today’s combative society, it might be better to put the onus on the tour director.

This can be a problem on bus tours since 50 people pile out and onto the same spot to take the “perfect” picture of the sightseeing attraction.

Again, most people go out of their way NOT to get in the way of my camera. And I do the same for them. Together, we can work it out. But one camera hog is like one bad apple. And they are the ones who don’t get it, or pretend not to.

Dang them!

40. donald c coleman
      October 19th, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

At 6′and 215 lbs., and having an experienced Marine Corps vocabulary, I can easily “relocate” a camera hog….or any other type of self-centered hog.

41. Barbs44travels
      October 19th, 2011 @ 3:15 pm

I too take thousands of pix on a cruise, particularly if in a new area. In my case, I like to blog & I post them in pnline albums for others interested in those areas.

Yes, I am irritated by folks standing directly in front of views but I have been able to do marvelous things with Photoshop. It is particularly hard with folks wearing bright colors, though. So, I agree about lagging behind if possible. I know I must irriate others during local entertainment is brought on the ship & photography is allowed. That flash going off must get tiresome but I love ethnic dancing & have gotten some fantastic shots I wouldn’t have access to otherwise. I just have to constantly remind myself that others want to enjoy the show also.

42. Larry s
      October 19th, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

There are a hundred good vantage points on most ships to get completely clear shots of most items of interest. I may go up or down several decks for a good vantage point. That way I stay out of the way of the grouchy ones who whine about taking too much time or space to get that great picture. It takes the IQ of a chimpanzee to be a photo hog. Same for shore excursions; I normally wait until the crowd leaves “the spot” and then take as many shots as I need. Be creative to avoid confrontations. However, the first person who does an intentional jab or bump and run may need medical help afterward.

43. Lacey
      October 19th, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

I, unfortunatly, am related to two camera hogs… my mother and grandmother… go genetically I’m doomed!
      I agree with the digital age being a great benifit to both people (the taker and the viewer)
      being able to take thousands of photos and select that really good one to show off. That’s how photographers are trained. Take 36 good photos and only show 6.
      that being said. Most photographers shouls be patient. Being able to wait for the clear shot… or takeing pics and being able to edit that elbow out of the sight-seer.
      I’m sure if both sides are polite and patient everyone can get the view/pic they desire.
      don’t let one persons actions depict the outcome of your vacation (unless they are your own!)
      Then no flying elbows or rude comments would happen.

44. KenSanDiego
      October 19th, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

I had a wonderful Med/Egpyt trip in January (yes, only days before all hell broke loose)and the shutterbugs were all very polite. I was on a ledge in Ephesus getting a shot framed when a lady stepped right in front of me, onto the remaining few feet of the ledge to get her shot. After realizing what she had done she apologized profusely, but I just told her to go ahead and get her shot. The ancient ruins would still be there when she was done ;-). 12 day trip filled with ancient wonders and lots of pictures, and never ran into the ‘camera hog’

45. JT
      October 19th, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

Most of them (us?), when asked, will move to let you have that “perfect spot” for a moment. When possible, we usually head up the rear so that we’re not bothering people. I agree with Jim above that it’s not about the camera, but it’s about rudeness. You’ll see this same person with a towel on a beach chair for two hours until he gets out of the pool to use it, or pushing through the line at the midnight buffet.

Those of you that want to share your pics, consider putting them in the public domain for all to enjoy. I use http://publicdomainpictures.net – both to post pics and to download other interesting ones.

46. cruisinpaige
      October 19th, 2011 @ 4:03 pm

Dear Donald,
      Will you please come on my next cruise with me. I’m 5’2\ and get cut in front of a lot. I dont want to have constant confrontations on mycruise bcs I’m on vacation, so mostly I just let it go, bu it would be nice to have someone of your stature and Marine ability around!

47. Markku Kastinen
      October 19th, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

Well, I am only 5′ 10′ but all my 260 lbs is muscle. I pay no attention to people with cameras. Why should I? If I obstruct their view, I am gone within a second. Not time enough for an argument.

48. Stuart G
      October 19th, 2011 @ 4:08 pm

Camera hogs would not even make my top 7 list of annoying people on cruises. My top 7, in no particular order, include:
      1. People who use their hands to pick up food in the buffet line.
      2. People who reserve pool side chairs with no intention of using them for hours.
      3. Men who dress like slobs and wear flipflops to the dining room for dinner.
      4. People who overserve themselves as a prelude for dinner or at the pool.
      5. People who smoke so that it is distastful to walk thru a casino.
      6. People who feel that a public display of serious affection is attractive.
      7. People who fail to take crying children out of the dining room.

I would offer a more, but I have to go take a few pictures.

49. travelgoddess1
      October 19th, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

It is common courtesy, or lack thereof, pure and simple. If everyone were courteous (remember when?), we would all get our perfect picture. But no matter which side you take, treating others the way you would like to be treated goes a long way. Try it.

50. Chris
      October 19th, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

Since there are also an infinite number of locations from which to take a picture, I don’t have any problem with a good photographer that knows what they are doing. Most people could learn a lot from them. The problem I have is the people that must have multiple photos of themselves, family, or children standing directly in front of a particular object that others are waiting to photograph. A little social conscience or consideration would be nice, but is getting harder to find on cruises with thousands of your closest friends.

51. netcruizer99
      October 19th, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

I have not had problems with photographers specifically. The only problems I’ve ever had with others while traveling is those that think they are the only people in the world. They may be taking pictures or standing in a certain spot or not moving in line or mostly being very loud in an enclosed space or very loud on the phone right next to you. Whatever happened to courtesy when in public around people. It’s gotten to the point that people don’t even acknowledge the existence of others around them and I think that’s the problem leading to ALL of the rude behavior these days.

52. Pelorus
      October 19th, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

We are about to take our seventh cruise and I hope to be taking hundreds of photos as we enjoy our new ports of call. (San Diego through the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale) I’ll try hard not to block your view and I’ll try to share the view with other photographers. I recommend \Blurb.com\ for putting your photo memories into book form at a reasonable price

53. K
      October 19th, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

I don’t have a problem with camera fanatics Until they get really inconsiderate of others. Like when a tour guide stops for the group to take “a few” shots of him holding a turtle, and somebody wants to get every conceivable photo combination of group and individual shots with him and their travel group of 10. Kinda like wedding photos.

54. Barry
      October 19th, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

I too take lots of pictures but am curtious to those around me. On a trip to Africa we were entertained by some local Masi warriors at a restaurant and one man contiuned to block the view by standing in front of those in the front row. I finally went up and purposly stood in front of him to obstruct his view but unfortunately he was oblivious to my obstructing his view and continued as if nothing had happened.

55. Elisabeth
      October 19th, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

Hmmmm I’ve never noticed this … maybe I am one? I don’t think so, but people taking pictures doesn’t really annoy me and we are always in port long enough for everyone to enjoy the view.

56. Debra
      October 19th, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

I may be a camera hog… but you’ll never notice me. While others think they have the best vantage point for a shot, I look for the more creative angles that are often away from the crowd of snappers. I take hundreds of pictures on a cruise and other vacations… I have found now that I’m older, pictures become my ‘memory’ when my memory fails me. So keep on snappin’ on! And let’s just hope that everyone can be a little more mindful of others around them.

57. Lisa
      October 19th, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

I’ve only been on two cruises and someday, Lord willing will go on another one or two. What some people don’t realize and I don’t believe it’s been mentioned here, are the ones that are in wheelchairs/scooters, who are usually much lower in height than the average photo hog or any other average height person.

I, myself stand at only 3’6″ and you would not believe the amount of butt photo’s I’ve gotten, because someone will not move out of the dang way for someone that’s disabled. I’m not brave enough to really say or do anything, except move on…however, my husband (who is also disabled and short stature) will. AND if he thinks he can get into a photo hog’s photo, he will do it…repeatedly…with a huge smile!
      He figures: “pay back’s a … “well I think you know what I mean.

It would be wonderful if more people were considerate of others, especially those who are not as able bodied, because there is nothing we/they can do to change their physical challenges. But then I guess I’m biased since I’m disabled and you just wouldn’t believe the amount of rude people who think that because you are in a wheelchair/scooter, they can just cut in front of you like you don’t matter, when in fact we do. AND if you do it in front of my husband, he will either tell you off about it!

I just wish cruises were more handicapped assessable, especially when getting off the ship and especially for excursions that would be awesome…I’ve yet to do that..I usually have to stay on the ship and just enjoy the quietness and wonder what other people are getting to see and do.

58. Lea
      October 19th, 2011 @ 6:14 pm

Good grief it’s a big ship there are lots of spots along the rails to see the sights. I am amazed at the number of people who think it’s their right to verbally or physically assault someone for being their the “spot”. If you “accidentally” elbow, punch, or try to knock me over you can expect an “accidental” kick, elbow, or punch back and if you want to trade profanities I’m good with that too.

59. Tony Alessi
      October 19th, 2011 @ 6:27 pm

It seems to me that these camera fanatics would rather get in the way of others viewing than to actually see the sights themselves. They’ll look at the sights later. Why not just buy the pictures of that area in a book store and save the aggravation to others.

60. Carole D
      October 19th, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

I was on a Whale Watching trip with Jim Bellomo (\Hi Jim\) and, not only was he a gentleman, he also shared many of his best photos with me.

61. Ed
      October 19th, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

My wife and I and about 30 other people were stuck behind a family taking pictures on the bridge coming out of the lava tubes in Hawaii. One picture would’ve been OK but they had to rearrange several times to try and get the best shot while holding back these 30 or so people. I gave them the benefit of the doubt since they seemed to be from a foreign country, but the looks on most of the peoples faces who were waiting didn’t really need an interpreter.

62. DAN
      October 19th, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

“Why not just buy the pictures of that area in a book store and save the aggravation to others.
      As to my way of stopping the rudeness, I just walk in front of these idiots and get in their waythe same way they do to me.”

I guess I’ve missed all of this. I shoot <500 per day, and yes, am out there getting my shots. But I never battle for the scene, and always hang around after all have gone to get my shots. Usually the thing and angle you want to shoot/see is the last thing I want to shoot.

That said, how dare you tell me how to enjoy MY vacation. I travel TO take pictures, and I enjoy it immensely.. My reasons are unimportant, but your opinion as to whether I should do it is inane. And apparently there's not a cruise available to get that stick out of your butt either.

63. SeaCruiser
      October 19th, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

Geeze, lighten up. I take a lot of photos, so what? If I have a spot in an area and if I was there before you, why do you think you have a right to take my spot?

We could go on and on with this; whether it be people blocking stairwells from others because two or three are carrying on a conversation right where people are trying to walk, or those with kids and strollers that block areas, it does not matter.

Just lighten up and enjoy life rather than worrying about what others do.

64. Patti
      October 19th, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

I have a camera with a 30x zoom. I’ll shoot over peoples heads and still get great shots.

65. Mike Preisman
      October 19th, 2011 @ 9:15 pm

I take lots of photos when I am on a cruise so that I can post the best ones on my website. I like to help those that will be traveling to the same places in the future for their planning; as well as those that have been to the places to help remember their wonderful experiences. I will take thousands of photos and try to consider others who are also trying to capture the sights. Like several have said, rude people are rude with many things that they do including photography. It is unfortunate when we run into rude people; but fortunately I have found most photographers to be considerate of others.

66. Gene C
      October 19th, 2011 @ 10:30 pm

HAHAHA HMM I’m mad at the camerahog who stands in the place to get the perfect view / picture. Well I am not the guy who takes a thousand pics 600-700 on a 7 day cruise but it sounds more to me like whining because someone beat someone else to the spot.I’ve taken pics and then moved aside for the next person and I’msure if you just say excuse me may I get a pic from that angle they would move aside just remember that after a few pics move on for the next person.sheesh what a bunch of cry babies

67. Ray
      October 19th, 2011 @ 10:30 pm

What is wrong with you people? Why don’t you try to have fun? I cannot believe so many of you do nothing but complain about what others do. Are you just standing around gawking? Going on a cruise can be fun no matter what happens. I don’t care if it rains or the sun beats down on us. Someone once said, “Only you can make you happy.” It’s all about attitude, Folks! In May, the bus drivers went on strike the night before we anchored at Civitavecchia. The next day we still found a way to get to Rome. While I was taking a picture of some ruins, my tour group disappeared along with my wife and passport. Did you know that Italians don’t speak English? I’ll have to admit I was a bit frightened about what I had just gotten myself into. I’ll never forget the sweet sound of our guide’s voice in my headset, “Where’s the lady who lost her husband?” We have laughed about that story over and over again with different friends. I guess taking pictures can be as dangerous as texting.

Go out and have fun! The world is waiting for you!

68. Christine Grodt
      October 19th, 2011 @ 11:04 pm

I’m married to that guy! I got tired of being his personal camera bag (Hold this while I take some more shots!), so I dropped one of his cameras. Now I don’t have to participate, and I can enjoy my vacation.
      Honestly, he doesn’t realize he’s being rude. He forgets everything when he’s looking through the camera. He even forgot himself at his daughter’s wedding! (Dad, it’s time to dance!)

69. Mighty Sailin Man
      October 20th, 2011 @ 1:02 am

I will never get why people take so many photos on vacation or have a video cam glued to their head all the time. YOU ARE ON VACATION!! Relax, take a couple shots here and there (Last Vacation I took 1 photo and the waiter took one of us–No Flash) We did buy a couple postcards though. I know I was there, no need to prove it–and my memories are better than photos ever will be. I just don;t get it…oh…my significant other is a Professional Photographer, as in they pay him to shoot, and he will rarely pick one up he does not take pictures of typical tourist crap, more art photos (He shoots for Album Covers)
      And no, I am not going to wait more than a minute for you to shoot your picture when you are blocking the way, I will just walk right through–sorry–but a minute is all you get.
      Chair hogs will come back to find me in the chair after they have been away 30 mins if I want one.
      I don’t do the buffets or ‘community troughs’ as I call them. Tasteless Food sitting out in open trays for an hour? No Thanks.
      One caveat, we alway take one of the full suites (Owners etc) so would never need to fight to the a view from deck and typically we have a Jacuzzi on the verandah, we take private tours–never excursions, Lunch and Dinner are always i the Dining Room, Dinner is in the Specialty Restaurants or served in our room by the butler. I know it cost a lot more, bunt if you ever get the chance, do it…it may ruin you for the standard experience.
      But simply try to be polite, there are 2000 odd people on the vacation with you. 3000 photos in a week is one every 15 minutes around the clock…are you insane?

Hint, Nobody really wants to see photos from your trips, have one just to show if asked, but honestly people are only being nice when they sit still for dozens or hundreds of them. Same goes for for grandkids.

70. Jennifer W
      October 20th, 2011 @ 4:41 am

I take thousands of pics on every vacation & I’m always taking pics at events & of scenery around home but I try not to block anyone else. What amazes me is that people find it wrong for people to block them but think that its perfectly fine to get physical & push, elbow or accidentally bump into them (it’s not an accident if you do it on purpose) people may be so amazed with the scenery they didn’t realize they were in someones way so whats wrong with an excuse me. My camera equipment cost me quite a bit and I would probably lose my mind if someone bumped me & made me drop it on the ground or in the water (hubby is not gonna go for it either) so not all photographers or hobbyists are rude & sometimes people just are not paying attention so why be rude right off the bat. I love looking at my pics all the time and my family & friends enjoy them too (great thing about digital you don’t have to develope them all you can pick and choose which is why I have at least 10 memory cards for my 3 still shot cameras and 1 for the video camera. So I will enjoy my cruise my way while you all enjoy yours your way I will try not to be in your way so please don’t hog the chairs, tables, clams, etc…

71. Bushy
      October 20th, 2011 @ 4:55 am

It isn’t the camera people I have a problem with (although hubby can overdo it sometimes, he hangs back of the group)it is the people who pose on the fountains or next to the statutes and the photographer forgets to take off the lens cap, then time to refocus, then ask for several poses UGH! Move so others don’t photograph your family hanging on the statute or sitting on the lions in London. Also a bit of violent behavior to those how “accidentally” bump into other people shame on you. Becareful some people have no Zen and will “accidentally” bump you one day on your fanny!

72. geduffed
      October 20th, 2011 @ 6:13 am

Whatever happened to share and share alike? If I spot a good shot I grab it then point it out to anyone I see around me with a camera, so that they can jump in and get it. Also, I’ll trade e-mails and provide a public link to my Facebook photo album of all the photos that I’ve taken. If anyone wants a specific photo, I’ll e-mail that as well. I go on cruises to make friends, not to piss people off.

73. Simon
      October 20th, 2011 @ 6:25 am

Never have a problem with camera hogs, as I am always looking for the unusual angle to take my photo from.
      Once I have found, I run off several shots then move on.

What does annoy me is people who, when coming across a rather ethereal moment, yap on and on thus spoiling the mood.

74. Sheila
      October 20th, 2011 @ 10:34 am

It looks as though there are two types of photographers: the kind that take scenery, and the kind that take family in the scenery. I am the latter – and I am annoyed when someone, either intentionally or not, steps between my camera and my family, when there might be space behind us to walk around. (primarily on deck) – We’ve found that most people on our cruises are accommodating – we wait patiently for our shot, take our turn, and get out of the way. I did have an experience in Sitka, Alaska on the salmon hatchery excursion, when I wanted to capture some scenery. A large male sea lion was patrolling outside the hatchery, waving at all of us, and a relatively narrow deck led out to the best shot. Since I had a zoom lens on my video camera, I set up the shot quite far back, and started filming this rather comical character. Some woman with a disposable still camera literally ran down the deck in front of me and stood there taking pictures for about 10 minutes. Since the guide was talking to our group about 10 feet away from me, (I was enjoying the commentary) and the woman was about 40 feet away, there was no way for me to quietly ask her to move, so I tiptoed away from the guide and proceeded to walk toward the woman (I had no choice – one deck in, same deck out). She heard me coming and very loudly (enough that the entire group turned and looked at her) said “Am I in your way?” Yes, maam, and its all on tape.

75. Chuck
      October 20th, 2011 @ 11:21 am

Someone mentioned chair hogs. People who show up before breakfast leaving towels on chairs and then don’t show up for hours are the worst. Sorry, but I can’t help but mention the people who dress like they just came from Walmart. Speak about hogs!

76. Dan
      October 20th, 2011 @ 11:50 am

My gripe is with those who take five minutes slowly squinting through the view finder or looking at the display. I can get five or more shots in the time it takes for some of those wait for things to get ‘perfect’, and I mean just taking a family shot. Get it framed, hit the shutter and get out. Please.

77. Marge
      October 20th, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

Had a problem with camera hogs on Panama Canal transit – there at crack of dawn,not budging for hours, brought food and drink by others, hogging the front part of the decks. My shots were as a result mostly from ship’s side, but would have liked some head-on shots of things like approaching locks and the like.
      Usually hogs are not a huge problem – there are usually places to shoot from that give good pics, don’t get in others’ way. (I don’t take 100′s of pics at a time, just a few from each spot.)

78. Kennicott
      October 20th, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

I know its maddening, but sometimes rudeness can be unintentional. Best not to lash out and throw somebody overboard just because you are bigger and stronger.

For instance: On one cruise of long duration I noticed one guy who was particularly nice. He had a sense of humor and was fun to be around in the gym, shore excursions, etc.

One time I mentioned to him that I appreciated his easy going demeanor and character.

He told me, “It wasn’t always like that”. He told me that once he was in a line waiting for this or that when a lady come barging through the line. At that point in the cruise he was fed up with all the line breakers. So he lashed out and gave her a good shove. She went crashing onto the floor. Later he found out that she was in a panic rush for help because her husband in the next room had a massive heart attack and had died.

He said, “It was then that I sat down and had a long talk with myself”.

79. Rick Greyson
      October 20th, 2011 @ 9:20 pm

Based on some of the comments it seems that some of those offended by the photographers are more rude than the picture-takers. How much of a hurry are you to pass by these people that you resort to physically assaulting them with elbows and body contact? Relax, you’re on vacation.

80. Bill
      October 20th, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

It is true that some folks have a sense of entitlement and the heck with others. Fortunately, the vast majority of cruisers are considerate. Shame on the few who are camera hogs, the many who save lounge chairs and those who feel dressing like the homeless at dinner is acceptable because they have to dress nicely to go to work.

81. Clayton
      October 20th, 2011 @ 10:02 pm

As a designer/photographer I have literally taken millions of photos but none are so precious to me (not counting in my immediate family) than the ones I take on vacation especially, cruises. My min. shoot is 2000+ on a (7 to 10 day cruise) not all keepers but some are sensational. As a seasoned pro I understand 2 things… 1 there is a lot to shoot be curtious and do not dominate an area and do not block people traffic and 2. Share photo tips with others if a photo would look better from where you are, back off and invite the person over for that special shot that a trained eye of the photographer sees. I’ll never forget the special one’s and feel great when others get those shots that are special to them. I am quite suprised that more cruises don’t offer photo tours with season pro’s for those interested in photography what a great retirement job that would be for someone like myself. remember you don’t have to have a pro camera just a desire to collect great memories while having fun and then sharing them.

82. Charity Froggenhall
      October 21st, 2011 @ 9:16 am

I am a photo fan, but to my knowledge I have never annoyed anyone with my camera. I only take a couple snaps and I make sure I’m not in anyone’s way. If anything I try to find the more unusual angle so I may be the person running up the stairs while everyone else is snapping pics in the street! On our Alaskan cruise, while everyone was at the front left of the ship, I ran back and to the right and had practically the whole side of the ship to myself.

83. Mary
      October 21st, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

Self-centered people create the problem not “Camera Hogs” .
      I think to the well dressed USA woman with three well dressed preppy teens whose daughter taking a picture reacted to an old Italian woman at St Peter’s Basilcia praying” Oh just push her out of the way so I can get the picture”. Mother did push.
      Or on a cruise with my 88 yo mother walking to the elvator. She was pushed aside down the stairs headfirst by a morbidly obese man rushing to the first gong for dining room service.
      Yes, selfish behavior makes people think their picture is more important than others enjoying the experience, the statue, glacier, the bear siting,the Pope , penquins, etc
      After seeing six of the seven continents on a cruise ( the seventh by train and plane) I find the worst cruisers are the self centered travelors who think the world belongs to them. They frequently violate ecological and animal warnings. They waste resources. They are louder and demanding of others.
      Lastly I remind you of the handicapped obese nudist removed from a cruise ship this year who assumed the cabin stewards should do all his personal care. Everyone owed him service instead of his hiring a personal care giver.

Yes selfish people can make a cruise miserable for all at the railing taking pictures, in the dining room, in the Lido, at the entertainment, on shore excursions, etc.
      Safe and quiet sailing to all

84. Ellie Mae
      October 22nd, 2011 @ 12:03 pm

What I love (NOT!) is when people are oblivious to me with my camera and walk in front of me. Many times, I lose the shot! How rude. Get your heads out of your butts people!

85. Janna
      November 2nd, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

Half the reason to go on vacation is to take pictures of the wonderful sites. I don’t hog a space and if anyone elbowed me…

I’d
      HIT
      back.

Someone standing somewhere for 10 seconds to get a decent picture isn’t hogging the area and if they are just say “excuse me”.

What is with all of these adults with the emotional intelligence of bratty 2 year-old kids. Give me a break, I’m so over those who think they’re the only people alive.

86. Bob Hirschfeld
      December 7th, 2011 @ 2:58 pm

I hope the hog mentioned by Caroline at the head of this thread wasn’t me. I was in Albania’s Brutrint Park’s ruins around the same time (it rained the entire time) and took lots of stills and video. I like to show people in some shots, so I hang back to get the crowd. I try to be courteous, but if I’m not, I wouldn’t mind someone gently pointing out potentially bad habits on my part. Were you on an excursion from Oceania’s Marina around Oct. 13 or so, Caroline?

87. Bob Hirschfeld
      December 7th, 2011 @ 2:59 pm

Carolyn, not Caroline. My bad.

88. Carolyn
      December 7th, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

Laughing, Bob, that was the trip after mine — so you’re off the hook! Anyway, it was a visitor from a different cruise ship who was really making a pest out of himself.

Speaking of Butrint, wasn’t it just amazing???

Carolyn

89. Bob Hirschfeld
      December 8th, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

Yes, Carolyn.
      I highly recommend that anyone whose cruise stops off in Corfu, take the ship’s excursion (if available) to Butrint National Park. It’s not a place to look at trees or wildlife. First of all, it’s in Albania, a country that was off limits throughout the entire Cold War. Furthermore, you’ll enjoy a 30 minute hydrofoil trip from Corfu, and then a 20 minute bus drive to the park, through some sad cityscapes as your guide explains how dreadful life was under Communism, and how some large homes are being deliberately demolished (you’ll see the wreckage along the road) because of red tape. Finally, you get to the park and explore the Greco-Roman ruins from centuries ago. Lots of well designed explanatory signs (multi-language including English) make it easy to see what the original settlements looked like. I found it fascinating, but unfortunately it rained the entire day, which put a damper (literally) on the whole excursion. Even so, the photos turned out fine, and the rain gave the video a whole new dimension.

90. Donald Schoengold
      February 27th, 2012 @ 3:07 am

I am one of those photohogs and I admit it. Often I get up early or get to a site early because I know that that is the place wher I can get good photographs. If I plan ahead, why should I give up my spot to a person who just wanders by or has not bothered to get up early so that they can take their pictures.

I do not step in front of other people who are taking pictures but I also don’t owe you my good spot.