Burgers at Sea: Which Cruise Line Reigns Supreme?

October 14, 2011 | By | 13 Comments

After a having a outstanding fee-free burger on my recent cruise aboard Norwegian Dawn (juicy, hot beef and crisp, fresh veggies … mmm) and coming home to the news of Food Network star and restaurateur Guy Fieri teaming up with Carnival to offer gourmet burgers at sea, I’ve been wondering if the mainstream cruise lines are up on their burger game.

I know gourmet burgers have been popular as a cheaper-than-steak option at land-based restaurants for some time now, but wouldn’t it be awesome if the trend was actually making its way to sea? Hopefully it will, but for now, we’re curious: Have you had an awesome burger on a cruise? If so, vote in our poll to let us know which cruise line’s burgers reign supreme. (Oh, and be sure to give us a description in the comments.)

Find out what a Cruise Critic member thought of Guy’s handiwork.
Learn how to make your favorite cruise foods, from bacon mac ‘n’ cheese to lava cake, in the Lido Deck Test Kitchen.
Sign up for your own Lido Deck subscription.

Comments

13 Responses to “Burgers at Sea: Which Cruise Line Reigns Supreme?”

1. Ryan L
      October 14th, 2011 @ 11:19 am

I have only sailed on two lines so far (Royal Caribbean and Carnival) and Carnival was by far a better burger. Royal’s burger sets under a heat lamp in a gallon of grease. Carnivals burger was cooked fresh to order and was very good.

2. Martysr
      October 14th, 2011 @ 11:24 am

The HAL burger gets my vote as much for having the most diversified condiment bar as well as giant round burgers. Condiments range from ketchup and two or three kinds of mustard, to relish, pickle slices, pickle chips, lettuce [cold and crisp] chili, salsa, coleslaw, potato salad, nicely sliced tomatoes [not so thick as the burger but not so thin as a piece of paper], sour cream and mayo. And usually a good scoop of fries for the asking. Once they even had bacon strips available. Drool, slurp, mawhaa, I gotta have one!!!

3. Brad
      October 14th, 2011 @ 11:31 am

The filet mignon burger in the Pinnacle Grill on HAL ships is AMAZING!!

4. Brad
      October 14th, 2011 @ 11:32 am

Not to mention the variety of burgers in the Terrace Grill on HAL ships. Beef, veggie, salmon, turkey, chicken… SO good! Fresh fries made regularly over there, all the toppings and condiments you need. Dang I need to get back on one of those DAM SHIPS soon!

5. Dee
      October 14th, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

Have never had a good burger at sea, but the worst burger was on Royal Caribbean!

6. Glenn
      October 14th, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

I’ve been on three lines Carnival, Disney & Royal Caribbean (four kids…nuff said). I love burgers and gotta say Carnival Dream’s burgers were surprisingly very good! (look forward to Guy’s burger joint…should be amazing and I’ve heard at no extra charge) Disney’s were ok, good enough if you crave a burger but nothing worth standing in line for. On the other end of the scale RC’s hamburgers were so poor it wasn’t worth finishing. Maybe they’re trying to steer (moooo) you to Johnny Rockets so they can collect the up charge.

7. Daniel Capella
      October 14th, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

Jonnhy Rockets bruger is the better!

8. nedelko corria
      October 15th, 2011 @ 3:50 am

Aloha I used to work for ncl onboard the so call beutiful pride of america ship and the food for the crew was really bad worse that high school food however the burgers on the aloha cafe and cadilac were awsome or maybe I was just hungry lol but yea cadilac burgers are good if you have any question that you might want to ask me about crew living or the pride of america ship you can email me at nedelko.corria@gmail.com mahalo

9. Eric
      October 15th, 2011 @ 10:07 am

I think Princess has great burgers.

10. Ernie Young
      October 15th, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

My favorite burgers are on Crystal. Served with sweet potato fries. They are just marvelous

11. Janis
      October 15th, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

I enjoy Carnival’s burgers freshly cooked. HAL’s burger bar is nice too. RCI’s hamburgers are disgusting.

12. Marjorie Strain
      October 15th, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

Have never had a burger that did not taste like a dried up hockey pluck on RCCL, CCL, Princess, NCCL. Fries were great on Princess though. Will be trying Azamara in the Spring. Hoping for better results as I love a good burger as much as filet mignon.

13. Janet
      October 19th, 2011 @ 7:04 pm

Crystal has the absolutely best burgers on land or sea! Even better with their awesome sweet potato fries. Hmmmmm.