Slideshow: Carnival Pours $500 Million Into Tequila, Burgers and George Lopez

October 5, 2011 | By | 12 Comments

Fun Ship 2.0 sounds a bit year 2000, but we won’t begrudge the name of Carnival’s multi-year, 14-ship, $500 million refurb program, which covers eating, (a lot of) drinking and laughing. On Monday, the line revealed details of F.S. 2.0. A few choice tidbits: Food Network guy Guy Fieri is introducing Guy’s Burger Joint, George Lopez has been tapped to become the new “Curator of Comedy” and EA Sports (of Madden Football fame) will finally have its own themed sports bar at sea. Here’s a taste at what some of the new venues will look like.
Love makeovers? Check out our chart of cruise ship refurbishments.
See which onboard spots are your Best Bets for Happy Hour.
For the latest from Cruise Critic, subscribe to the Lido Deck.

Comments

12 Responses to “Slideshow: Carnival Pours $500 Million Into Tequila, Burgers and George Lopez”

1. Kate
      October 5th, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

This is so awesome! The burrito bar was a hit on my Carnival Splendor sailing- am sure it will be a welcome addition on board. Guy’s Burgers? Money! For nothing extra? Carnival scores again

2. Candace
      October 5th, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

Can’t wait to get on one of those ships with the new fun things!!

3. Tammy Owenby
      October 6th, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

I love Guy Fieri
      I love Rum
      I love Tequila
      I LOVE CARNIVAL.
      HURRY

4. Traveling Bob
      October 6th, 2011 @ 6:28 pm

Our favorites are any bars that also serve food (around lunch) or hor’derves (especially hot ones) before dinner. I hope that Carnival will offer some.

5. Clean Air Tim
      October 13th, 2011 @ 8:44 am

My family and I have been on several Carnival Cruises and have enjoyed them very much and these upcoming changes sound great. However, will these new locations be smoke free? Nothing is worse than walking into one of these places or the casino filled with cigarette smoke. There is plenty of room outside for that activity. Anyway looking forward to enjoying another cruise.

6. Cheryl
      October 13th, 2011 @ 11:35 am

Wish the Board of Directors of Carnival would drink the coffee they serve at the buffets on their ships. Maybe they would change that. I was on a cruise out of Baltimore on the Carnival Pride. The coffee made me gag. I bought their expensive coffee at the coffee stand when I was desparate for coffee. Their ice tea was not freshed brewed either. It did not taste good. Loved their burgers! Most of the food was mediocre. There was some exceptions like the escargot and lobster.

7. Deborah Baar
      October 31st, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

Just came back from a cruise on the Freedom.
      I have to say I have taken alot of cruises with Carnival but the Freedom staff and foold had to be the best. Also the Madradee in our dining room was the best. Always coming to our table, also in the am would be walking the deck helping out staff on deck if needed. He was a pleasant man. First time I have ever thought that a Madradee deserved an extra tip. He was GREAT. Our dining staff was the best also, Ronnie, the head waiter and his assistants were really friendly and they were always on top of everything. Very timely. Also my cabin steward. GEDEE Was THE BEST. Saw him every day and night. He was always asking if i needed anything. There was a girl who came to our table 441 early dining who was really great too. Her nickname was NEENEE she was a pleasant person and also worked in the casino always would be making sure I had a drink if I needed one. This was the BEST EXPERIENCE I EVER HAD ON A carnival Never had a bad experience either CARNIVAL IS THE BEST!!!

8. landscaping mulch
      October 12th, 2012 @ 3:06 pm

You really outdid yourself with this. Color me impressed.

9. Wanda
      October 18th, 2012 @ 5:39 pm

Amazing. I found your blog on Ask searching for something completely unrelated, now I’m gonna have to read through all the old material :) Good bye spare time today, but this was a awesome find :D

10. Mike "The BearKat"
      December 12th, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

The idea is wonderful. But having just got off the Miracle this past Saturday, I think most of you are going to be disappointed. My last 4 Cruises were on Carnival. Sadly, Carnival’s product has been significantly downgraded. It clearly shows corporate profits are more important than a quality product from my experience. Don’t get me wrong I like Carnival a lot. Just this past cruise shows the need to bring their A game back.

I saw the new decoration, they are okay, not spectacular. Also be aware most drinks are in the 7.50 to 8.75 range now.

11. John
      July 25th, 2013 @ 2:57 pm

Just got off the Carnival Breeze. It was the best cruise ever. I have cruised HAL and RCCL and neither were as FUN. Food was same. Stateroom was better (upgraded 2 days before cruise to suite) I am already booked on the Imagination for Feb and going to book the Breeze again next summer.

12. Cousin Vinnie
      January 8th, 2014 @ 6:41 pm

Carnival is the BEST !!! will be on the Paradise on April 5-10th 2014 !! find me in my Seahawks gear !!