Live From Norwegian Dawn: First Impressions

September 30, 2011 | By | 9 Comments

I’m a cruising rookie, and I’ve been looking forward to this voyage on the newly refurbished Norwegian Dawn for quite some time. But after arriving at Boston’s Black Falcon Cruise Terminal this afternoon, it hit me — I had no idea what I was doing.
Hundreds of people were milling about, and honestly, it was chaos. So what did I do? I went along with the chaos, of course. I followed the crowds through from baggage to check-in, and before long my husband, Dan, and I were onboard amid smiling crew members, dancing passengers and lots of booze.
What do I think? Here are my first impressions:
Despite the fact that this sailing is nearly booked solid, I was surprised to find that there are a number of quiet little nooks in which to escape the crowds — even on the pool and sports decks. In fact just feet from the live band and Topsiders bar, all was quiet — there were even dozens of deck chairs for the taking.
Even though the ship was refurbished this past spring, there are the expected signs of wear and tear. Namely, scuffed furniture in the cabins and restaurants. But I’m looking forward to exploring the spit-polished areas, and I’ll be reporting back on those later.
Trying all of the food onboard in a week’s time is going to be challenge. With more than 10 dining options – many of which are included in the cruise fare – I have a feeling I’m going to have to plan out where we eat each meal ahead of time.
Most important of all, it seems that we are in for a great party. There’s lots of music, the band on the pool deck is great, and there’s an awesome sense of camaraderie among the passengers.
Stay tuned.
Find out what more than 800 Cruise Critic members think of Norwegian Dawn.
Sign up for your own Lido Deck subscription.

Comments

9 Responses to “Live From Norwegian Dawn: First Impressions”

1. ACruiseGuy
      September 30th, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

Find the “Bridge Viewing Room” for a peek at the, well, bridge! Have fun,

2. Brian
      September 30th, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

Please describe one of your meals in all its sumptious detail, so I can salivate jealously.

3. Sheila
      September 30th, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

Having sailed the Dawn this past July, I’m jealous. Loved Spinnaker Lounge. Fun times!

4. Leah
      September 30th, 2011 @ 6:39 pm

Love your post. Thanks. Keep them coming. And I agree about the food, details details details. Jk. Have fun!

5. Monica
      September 30th, 2011 @ 7:17 pm

We sailed on the Dawn on the July 29th sailing to Bermuda, My hubby and I celebrated our 40th Wedding Anniversary July 31st..Bermuda was awesome and being in port without other ports of call was our attraction to the Dawn..it was a very relaxing vacation, and Our 6th cruise..
      The food was very mediocre with some delicious surprises (lacked quality seafood) quality was lacking in all areas of the food, we wondered how any chef could destroy a good solid piece of meat to make it tasteless..now some was ok but the repetition was boring. We ate our Anniversary dinner in their specialty restaurant..service was good, the maitre d’ was an embarassment, she presented me with a red rose , I looked at my husband he shrugged not knowing about it so I asked if it was complimentary she said no its 6 dollars..made my husband look foolish, I declined, what a nerve to come spoil a perfect evening with nonsense like that..to top it off back in the cabin it was on their own channel they said no flowers or plants can leave the ship at debarkation..now if anyone recieves a 100 dollar bouquet of flowers they have to stay on board ship..maybe so they can resell them and that would not surprise us at all..the nickel and diming on that cruise was by far the worse to date..would not sail her again..the good folks at snorkel beach celebrated our anniversary in style, thank you for the memories SB..

6. Carole Rosenthal
      October 1st, 2011 @ 9:20 am

After being on the Epic 3/11, I do not think I will try another NCL ship again!

7. Emilie converse
      October 1st, 2011 @ 9:39 pm

Just got back from Bermuda on the dawn. What a wonderful time we had. The food was sooo good and we had plenty to do. The crew was wonderful,service was great. We had not one complaint. Can’t wait to go again. This cruise was a 10.

8. Leah
      October 2nd, 2011 @ 12:31 am

Please post pics and comments about the newly added family suites on deck 12. We are flip flopping back amd forth. Mainly the one without the balcony. Thanks! Enjoy your cruise.

9. Cruise Critic
      October 3rd, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

@Leah, I’ll be touring the new suites on Friday morning. They are all occupied right now, but if I can get in sooner, I will.

Oh and, food is coming very soon!