Cruise Line Loyalty: The Proof Is in the Ink

September 14, 2011 | By | 26 Comments

Some people get barbed wire, butterflies or Chairman Mao. Cruise Critic Facebook friend Julie Arline Scott has adorned her ankles with Royal Caribbean‘s Crown & Anchor.

She’s not alone in believing that loyalty is about more than joining past-passenger programs. “Both the wife and I have C&A tattoos on the tops of our feet. We like to show them off poolside,” posted Cruise Critic member and RCI diehard BC604 on the boards. Showcasing such devotion doesn’t come cheap. “Out off all my tattoos, this was the most painful since it was on the bone and sensitive skin of the foot.”
There are other lines attracting fierce brand allegiance, too. John Heald, Carnival Cruise Lines” Senior Cruise Director, blogger and purveyor of toilet humor, has been known to showcase a Funship-related tat or two. Pictured above is the line’s mascot, Funship Freddie, inked onto a forearm.
Do you have cruise-related ink? E-mail your pics to Lido@cruisecritic.com and we may showcase them.
Tattoos aren’t the only way readers show of their cruise line pride. Check out some logo toenails.
Peruse 1,000’s of cruise photos and post your own.
Get alerts on the hottest posts: Subscribe to the Lido Deck.

Comments

26 Responses to “Cruise Line Loyalty: The Proof Is in the Ink”

1. Cynni
      September 14th, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

I would tat an SS Norway on myself but not the cruiseline logo.

2. HC
      September 14th, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

I worked on a Celebrity ship & one crew member had the X logo tattooed on his neck! (& on the other side of his neck he had the RC logo too!) obviously he didn’t work in public areas though. Talk about loyalty!

3. Roberta Gerlach
      September 14th, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

A little over the top! Are you sure they were sober at the time? Have they received free travel or “suite” privileges??

4. julie Scott
      September 14th, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

No..we were not drunk and no we received no privileges. We just have a lot of great memories and lots of fun times on rccl..it meant a lot to us. People get tattoos for different reasons. May be dumb for other people but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

5. ACruiseGuy
      September 14th, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

nutsy….but doesn’t surprise me at all.

6. Cruise Critic
      September 14th, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

@Julie, thanks for weighing in. A lot of people use tattoos as road maps of life experiences. Do you guys have other tattoos?

7. julie Scott
      September 14th, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

Yes! I have a Mickey and Minnie tatto for My love of Disney and a few butterflies and a fairy. My mom has a palm tree opposite of her c&a tattoo. We just love cruising and thought it would bw appropriate for us to get an rccl tattoo..for the simple fact that we saw a woman on the pool deck with a c&a tattoo on her hip! We just couldn’t let her show us up! So we came home and we got one too! And its better than hers! Thanks guys!

8. julie Scott
      September 14th, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

I got our tattoo from the cruise in review DVD. I copied and traced it on tracing paper and colored it with colored pencils. Our artist critiqued it a little for us but he did a fabulous job on it! It may be stupid for other people, but not for us. We are going to book another cruise for next year on the oasis or freedom..can’t wait!

9. Sabrina Harper
      September 14th, 2011 @ 7:13 pm

I think those tattoos are great (especially the C&A on the foot!). After being married on a cruise ship, I wanted something to represent my love for cruising, islands and all the places we’ve been, so I got a palm tree on my ankle. I’m not loyal to one cruise line, so I felt this best represented everything for me. About a week ago I also got a plumeria flower on the top of my foot (most painful place to get a tattoo for sure!) and absolutely love it!

10. Sonya
      September 16th, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

I have mad love for Carnival CL but I think a t-shirt will have to do. Now if they offer me a free cruise for two I just might do it……let me think….LOL!

11. Randall
      September 17th, 2011 @ 11:51 pm

As tattoos go, not bad!
      Much better than tasteless ones I’ve seen before.

12. Gayle
      September 18th, 2011 @ 6:19 am

SERIOUSLY???????

13. cheri bolchoz
      September 18th, 2011 @ 12:41 pm

My husband Michael Bolchoz is the proud owner of the Funship freddy tattoo and 4 other Carnival Tattoos.

14. Roger
      September 18th, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

I have always heard that you should NEVER do anything that you may have to explain to your grandchildren. Getting cruise line logo tattoo rates right up there. Have you considered selling advertising space??

15. julie Scott
      September 18th, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

Nope. Just had a lot of good memories on rccl. People get tattoos for a lot of other stupid reasons, and this meant a lot to my mother and I. So please don’t judge.

16. Dan
      September 21st, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

I hope they have a back-up plan for when the cruise lines update out their logos….happens all the time.

17. Candace
      September 21st, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

I love it, I have been looking for a tat to represent my love for cruising the Caribbean.

18. Laura
      September 21st, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

I am a Celebrity fan and got a TEMPORARY tattoo in Cozumel with an “I heart X” on my arm and then put all the names of my favorite staff above and below it. It was huge but looked real. The staff was thrilled to see their names on my arm and other passengers were horrified by the ostentatious display – some people thought it was permanent. I had so much fun showing my appreication to all the crew members that made my cruise so fantastic and they had fun coming to find their names on my arm.

19. Earl
      September 22nd, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

I buy stock to prove my loyalty, less painful, earns obc, and has made money. I also wear the tee shirts with the cruiseline logo and ships name at the driving range, gym and beach, again less painful.

20. Kellie
      September 23rd, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

How about buying a coffee mug at one of the ports? Obviously you all are not in the “Job Hiring” market. When I see something goofey like a cruise logo tatoo marking your wonderful memories, I shake my head!

21. Speedo-the-Torpedo
      September 29th, 2011 @ 12:55 am

kinda scary if you have to be seated with them at dinner. Makes me scared to ask what other ink they have about things so important in their lives…well I used to have a Michael Jackson, but am trying to get it altered to look like Rihanna…used to have a George Bush that I had altered to look like Obama, but now trying to figure out how to change it into a Michell Backman…etc…

22. Melissa
      November 28th, 2011 @ 4:49 pm

I have a tattoo of a palm tree, and one of a hibiscus…it reminds me of cruising, and of traveling south, as I live up in cold Canada. When I look at them I feel happy :)

23. DeaverTex
      November 28th, 2011 @ 8:39 pm

Mmm. Nope. Getting a loyalty tattoo is sort of like committing suicide. It’s a permanent response to a temporary stimulus.

24. Sirwinston a.k.a. Tom in long beach
      November 29th, 2011 @ 11:12 am

Have to admit I was very conflicted about getting ink for a long time. I hate what looks like random squiggles. I have had a lifetime love of ocean liners and cruise ships. I work on the original Queen Mary in long beach. So I got an image of one of her style of anchors on my left shoulder. These styles of anchors were used on several liners of the era. I was afraid to get something too specific as they say that it is bad luck to get the name of the one you loved inked on. Oh and for the RCI tattoos even if they do change the logo, that will be the logo for the happy times those cruisers had. Now to get King Neptune touching the hand of Fun Ship Freddy ala the painting in the Sistine Chapel across my back.
      Just kidding on that one…
      Tom in Long Beach

25. Dan
      August 18th, 2013 @ 11:09 am

Never seen a Silversea tattoo. Just sayin’.

26. Sherri
      September 10th, 2014 @ 4:50 pm

I have the Royal Caribbean logo tatoo’ed on my hand. I am about to take my 22nd cruie in December. 17 all on Royal. :-)