Carnival Breeze Slideshow: Where’s the Neon?

August 19, 2011 | By | 87 Comments

Eyeball the new-look 3,690-passenger Carnival Breeze, debuting June 2012. If you’ve sailed with the line, you’ll understand its signature land-of-make-believe style — giant Medusa heads in the dance club, renaissance nudes set beneath hot pink glass domes, atriums spotted with glowing green orbs. This is “Farchitecture,” an industry term coined to describe the work of Joe Farcus, who’s served as lead designer on almost every Carnival ship for three decades.
That changed with the line’s last offspring, Carnival Magic, for which the man who thinks in neon had to share a brush with Hamburg-based design firm Partner Ship Design. For Breeze, Carnival is going almost Farcus-free, a hard blow if you’re in the novelty-size Medusa head business. (He’s “scaling back some of his professional commitments at this juncture in his career,” said a rep.) Farcus isn’t shutting things down yet — he’ll continue to play a major role with Italy-based Costa Cruises, Carnival’s sister line.
Ogle the renderings, courtesy of Carnival, and let us know what you think of the new decor.
Become a cruise guru. Subscribe to the Lido Deck.

Comments

87 Responses to “Carnival Breeze Slideshow: Where’s the Neon?”

1. Susan
      August 19th, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

I love the new decor. The other Carnival decor looks too much like it belongs in a brothel, or in a very dated hotel. The new colors are so calming.

2. Tony Lovato
      August 19th, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

Simply beautiful! It looks fantastic!

3. Jeff
      August 19th, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

Hmmm…do I see hints of Celebrity Solstice class design? Not that I find that a problem.

4. Imagineer
      August 19th, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

…much nicer than all other interior shots of Carnival ships, they were one of the main reasons we never considered trying Carnival, this is almost inviting in its concept…

5. Mary
      August 19th, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

Wow, going from “carnival” to classy. Having been on four Royal Caribbean ships before sailing on a Carnival ship, I just shook my head and closed my eyes to the gaudy, ugly decor I saw. Of course, the crazy decor provided after cruise memories to talk about but not in a good way! The passengers, not neon, should add the color to a ship.

6. Betty Trascritti
      August 19th, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

I love the new look! We went on the Carnival Inspiration in July and it was so tacky! This is much more elegant and reminds me more of Holland America or NCL.

The other decor made me nervous…this decor would be much more relaxing…

7. Stephen Glass
      August 19th, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

This is the first carnival ship that i would even entertain going on. The past look of Farcus ships more than put me off using the line, I feel very sorry for Costa cruises that they are being made to suffer for longer. We once had a day visit on one of their ships in Alicante, any kiddies theme park was more restrained, it was almost enough to put my partner of cruising for life, i had to work very hard to explain to him that other cruise ships were more restrained.

8. Natalie
      August 19th, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

….and they’re back in the game!

9. Robert
      August 19th, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

Works for us the decor on the older ships was OK (Like being in Las Vegas) we are booked on the Carnival Dream for this December & the Breeze for february 2013 (Nice 8 night itinerary!)

10. David Williams
      August 19th, 2011 @ 10:55 pm

We’re VIP with CCL. REALLY like the new look of The Breeze and will be onboard December,2012!

11. KSacer
      August 19th, 2011 @ 11:57 pm

I started crusing with Carnival and then \graduated\ to RCI. This ship (plus a better loyalty program) may bring me back.

12. Brige
      August 20th, 2011 @ 9:21 am

I have sailed Carnival only once and the gaudiness and atmosphere made me not go back. I might consider going again as the ships look more relaxing.

13. Karen
      August 20th, 2011 @ 11:03 am

I LOVE the new look. We had moved away from Carnival and went to cruising mainly on NCL, RCCL, Princess and HAL. With this new look, we may consider the Breeze. Looks beautiful!

14. s. benz
      August 20th, 2011 @ 7:49 pm

Beautiful ship! Looks like a 5 star hotel. I hope the crew realizes what they are sailing on. Bye Bye Farcus!!

15. Cortney Bloom
      August 20th, 2011 @ 8:46 pm

The ship will no doubt be beautiful (IMO like the other carnival ships are) but thats one reason i love carnival is the neon lights. i will no doubt sail the breeze and it is a nice change…just saying…i dot like the neon

16. Peggy Snoddy
      August 22nd, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Just checked out the slide show on Carnival Breeze. Very Nice!! Sailed Carnival once & the neon decor was really a turn off. Said I would never sail Carnival again, but the Breeze just might change my mind. This decor reflects the elegance passengers anticipate & expect.

17. Andrew
      August 23rd, 2011 @ 10:53 am

I might actually step foot on a Carnival ship…maybe. Did anyone at Carnival realize the 70’s ended 30 years ago?

18. GaNavy
      August 23rd, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

Pleasant enough but really puts Breeze in the category of Just Another Cruise Ship. Folks who find Carnival’s previous designs too gaudy, IMO, take ship decor waaaay too seriously – I would neither choose nor refuse a cruise ship just based on the interior designs. But to each his own. I think many Carnival loyalists will be disappointed, and I doubt that Carnival will net many new passengers with this change.

19. Barry
      August 23rd, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

Yep, it’s looking like the Equinox, with a downtown Hotel look & feel. For those who go to a local carnival, all the lights blazing in neon is exciting and out of the hum-drum norm. A cruise ship should have the sights and feel of vacationing throughout the ship. Colour changes attitudes and especially bright ones. If you want earth tones,go to the office.

20. Barb
      August 23rd, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

I also believe that decor should not keep a person from enjoying the many amenities that
      a cruiseline offers it’s customers. I love them all, and never let decor dictate my preferences. I actually prefer the artistic impressions of Farcus. It’s always interesting to say the least! I’ve enjoyed all cruises on Carnival and shall continue to cruise on the older “gaudy neon” liners, as well as the “new age” looking ships!

21. Barb
      August 23rd, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

P.S. did I mention that I’m 69 yrs old and a widow, and if I want \Quiet and subdued\ I can stay home!

22. Lawrence
      August 24th, 2011 @ 7:51 am

OK, the ships decor is very nice, much more restrained than normal for Carnival, but after being on three other cruiselines we keep coming back to Carnival for the “FUN SHIP” atmosphere, I sure hope they don’t subdue that along with the NEON. The clubs and bars look normal.

23. Joan
      August 24th, 2011 @ 8:48 am

I love the new decor and relaxing atmosphere of the Breeze. My husband and I happen to enjoy the calming ambiance of a cruise ship after working all year long in the nutty and fast-paced goings on of the business world. On my vacation, I want to relax and enjoy peace and quiet, which I don’t get the rest of the time. I love the new decor and did not like the gaudiness of the other Carnival ships of which we have sailed on at least three different ships. The best of the Carival ships used to be the Paradise, which we sailed in 2001, when it used to be smoke free. That was fantastic. Too bad that ended!!! Will definitely consider sailing on the Breeze.

24. Jer
      August 24th, 2011 @ 9:02 am

Yes, it definitely looks modern and makes me feel like I’m home in the city. It’s sterile, insitutional, office like and uninspiring. I work each day in glass buildings with earth tones and stark metal and want more luxurious decor while on vacation.

25. Cindy
      August 24th, 2011 @ 9:14 am

The slide show revealed really futuristic designs which remind me of outer space, especially those domed deck chairs. Wierd. Kind of like a video game. I like HAL and Cunard. They just feel classier.

26. Jer
      August 24th, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Sterile, office like and uninspiring and makes me feel like I’m home in the city. I work in glass buildings with earth tones and stark metal. I want more luxurious decor while I’m on vacation.

27. susan traub
      August 24th, 2011 @ 10:34 am

The ship looks gorgeous. So glad the neon and flashy colors are gone.. Lovely change of style. I love Carnival and everyone always has a good time but I know my clients will love the new tasteful style.

28. Selena Kovshoff
      August 24th, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

The first words that come to mind after viewing the pictures of the Breeze are “EQUISITE AND CLASSY”. Although you have still incorporated some colour and swirl into the design, it definitely gives you the feel of a more up class environment for those who feel that Carnival is only for the young. I’ve taken 14 cruises with Carnival and as long as you are looking for some down to earth fun, it doesn’t matter how old you are.

29. Amy
      August 24th, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

I actually like the Farcus ships. I know I am on vacation and on a Carnival ship as soon as I step inside. They scream FUN, this kind of mutters relax. If I want that I will go to a spa resort, not a Fun Ship Cruise. Just my opinion, and Carnival has to cater to all of us, so here is a ship for those that like something different. I will take the Victory any day. I love that ship and all the weird colors and decorations!

30. Beverly
      August 24th, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

WOW – simple amazing, I love it. I always enjoyed Carnival, however, you just kicked your cruise line up a notch or two. Keep up the great ideas.

31. Beverly
      August 24th, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

I’ve enjoyed Carnival, but this ship looks awesome! The new decor looks so inviting and the relaxing. I will definetly sell this ship and feel Carnival Cruise line just stepped up a notch or two in my book.

32. Crystal
      August 24th, 2011 @ 3:04 pm

Wow. It looks amazing and classy. It might just keep us from running to X the next time we cruse.

33. Lynne
      August 24th, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

Well, it doesn’t look very \fun\ to me. Not even elegant – somewhere in the howard johnsons range?

34. Dee
      August 24th, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

I guess over 30 years of teaching 5-7 year old children has something to do with liking the Splendor. It is the only Carnival ship I’ve sailed on. It was just plain fun like Vegas!

35. Edwin D. Hendrix
      August 24th, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

I really like the new design of the Carnival Breeze. I have been on the Carnival Splendor and just didn’t care for all the pink and gaudiness of the ship. My favorite line is Royal Carribbean but I think this new design will be a big plus for Carnival. Good job Carnival.

36. RG
      August 24th, 2011 @ 3:56 pm

I really like this! Very classy with a modern touch. Very well done Carnival, you are stepping up in the world!

37. Mary
      August 24th, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

I love that Carnival is going less Vegas showgirl and more high class call girl. I like the new design and muted colors. There is color there, just not annoying neon bad dream colors.
      Very well done Carnival!

38. Laura
      August 24th, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

My husband and I have cruised Carnival 14 times and have loved every cruise. Carnival’s ships transform from day to night and the neon colors are a big part of the \fun\! The Breeze looks really subdued, however, I noticed a nice amount of neon too……….a good mix for eveyone to enjoy……looking forward to booking the Breeze……

39. Bev
      August 24th, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

The Breeze is just beautiful!!! You did a great job Carnival..I love Carnival and I DO NOT think Carnival is gaudy..
      Everyship has its on decor.. GOing on my 5th cruise in MArch.. Our goal is try to cruise all of them!!!

40. June Smeltz
      August 24th, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

WE’ve been on like 18 Carnival cruises and got tired of the same old decor all the time. It got kind of gaudy. We are now cruising on Royal C but after seeing this new decor, I can’t wait to get back to Carnival. Really miss it. This ship is a real class act.

41. Resa Glennon
      August 24th, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

WOW..GORGEOUS!!! So classy. Tired of all the colors and patterns….this is soo relaxing and soothing..and classy! Way to go Carnival. I just completed my 12th Carnival Cruise and bought my Cruise Certificate for my next cruise. Hope I can be on the maiden voyage of this gorgeous gal!!!

42. Barry
      August 24th, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

@ RG, “a step up in the world” Carnival owns the cruise ship world. Even the hi-end Cunard Line with it’s elegance, history and “class distinction” – depending on what stateroom you book.

43. Pat
      August 24th, 2011 @ 6:35 pm

I have been on multiple Carnival cruise ships & an NCL cruise ship and I definitely like Carnival with all it’s “gaudy” “carnival” decor; that’s what makes it the FUN SHIP……
      This one is way too futuristic for me; too cold looking.

44. Ruthie B
      August 24th, 2011 @ 6:40 pm

absolutely beautiful!

45. Minn.cruisers
      August 24th, 2011 @ 6:55 pm

Wow…now this is a nice ship. The name is appropriate, it is like a breath of fresh air. I love it…would be nice to see more of the Carnival ships updated like this, its time !!!

46. Scamper
      August 24th, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

Hmm. Frankly, I think it is beautiful. Lots of Art Deco, that I love, and not all the gaudy, glitz, faux glamor of the other Carnival ships. And, yes, my choice of ships would be factored in large part by the decor. If I spent many a waking moment being \jolted\ about by tacky at every turn, it wouldn’t be much of a vacation!

47. rhonda moore
      August 24th, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

would love carnival even if it looked like a battleship. just my opinion

48. Vinnie
      August 25th, 2011 @ 1:33 am

I have been cruising for a lot of years and like the lights. I also miss all the ice carving by the pool and what happened to the caribbean music and steel drums.

49. Jackie Alley
      August 25th, 2011 @ 7:53 am

This new styling is serene. Just looking at the photos makes you want to sail on the Breeze. This is definitely a ship I would enjoy spending time on.

50. Danna
      August 25th, 2011 @ 10:08 am

Beautiful! Very clean & contemporary!

51. dianne buehler
      August 25th, 2011 @ 11:25 am

The Breeze is GORGEOUS!!! We have been cruising for many years and cruised on the Mardi Gas, and this is Carnival’s most beautiful and sophisticated ship yet! We love Princess line but on the next cruise we book we will have to try the new Breeze.

52. Gina
      August 25th, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

The Breeze is beautiful! Hope to sail on it one day soon.

53. Ron Hackemack
      August 25th, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

The slide show of the new Carnival Breeze looks fantastic. Much more sophisticated and upscale. A look Carnival has waited much too long to embrace.

Can’t wait to see photos of cabins, spa, pool areas and other locations on the Carnival Breeze.

We have cruised on Dream and are ready to book a cruise on Magic for early 2012 out of Galveston.

Can’t wait to cruise on Breeze out of Miami. Keep the newer, nicer ships coming. To paraphrase the line from the movie \Field of Dreams\, if you build them like Breeze, we will cruise.

54. Nan
      August 25th, 2011 @ 6:33 pm

This is Carnival? The Breeze looks wonderful. I agree with a previous poster, took a page from Celebrity Solstice class and that’s a good thing!

55. Tom
      August 26th, 2011 @ 6:08 am

People the tacky the gaudy is what made Carnival I think the ships in their own personel way are intresting and have their own story to tell that is why Carnival is so fun to sail on it’s just relaxing and not so hooty tooty.

56. Allen
      August 26th, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

Awesome! Truly shows elegance, opulence, and style. Reminds me of the Solstice class ships, which is a good thing. All of that glitz made it look cheaper and less ocean-like.

57. Barbara Martinez
      August 26th, 2011 @ 6:50 pm

Absolutely love the new decor. Looks very classy. Sooooooo much better than the gaddy crazy designs of the others. Gives Carnival a boost in their image, would love to cruise onthis ship.

58. Bev`
      August 27th, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

The spa, thalasotherapy pool, piano bar and other venues resemble the calm decor of the Celebrity Millennium class ships. Still not a fan of the Purple haze in the dance lounge, but that’s for a different generation. Overall, it looks very nice.

59. Leonard Vavra
      August 28th, 2011 @ 10:45 am

What took so long? At last a Carnival ship with a classy look to it. We have done 15 Carnival cruise’s and our major complaint has been the decore. I hope future builds will be more like this, and when re-fitting older ships take clue from this one and tone it down and class it up.

60. Download Hollywood Movies
      August 29th, 2011 @ 6:24 am

Simply beautiful! It looks fantastic!

61. Sandra
      August 29th, 2011 @ 11:50 am

I have never been bothered by the decor on the current Carnival ships. I cruise for the experience, not the decor, but I have to say the look of Carnival Breeze is quite a change and very beautiful. I’m already booked for a B2B in March 2013 and can’t wait to see it in person.

62. Robert
      August 30th, 2011 @ 9:10 am

Love the new look of carnival. We have stayed away from them for years now. Maybe this will bring us back. The 70’s look went out a LONG time ago. Could never figure out why every Carnival ship looked the same. Maybe because it was successful. People these days are looking for a fun but elegant vacation value. jst look at the new hotels in Vegas. Gone are the pirates and lions. The new hotels are modern and elegant. Looking forward to the new carnival design.

63. Kathy
      August 30th, 2011 @ 9:46 am

I agree with previous posters that the decor resembles Celebrity ships quite a bit. When I want quiet elegance and sophistication I cruise on Celebrity. I go to Carnival for “Fun” and I don’t think that the Breeze is conveying that image, so if Carnival is trying to change their image, they are right on track. They will probably gain a whole new demographic, I just hope it makes up for the numbers that they stand to lose. I also think that there is a difference between “subdued and elegant” and “boring”, and while a few of the rooms on the Breeze look beautiful, the lobby area and dining rooms look just plain “blah” to me. Just my opinion.

64. Michelle
      August 30th, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

This ship looks boring! I work in this type of environment everyday and that’s why I like Carnival ships because they take me away from the norm. Their decor has always conveyed fun but not on this ship.

65. Mandy
      August 30th, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

We actually left Carnival because of the decor (and well the spotty service didn’t help) We started sailing on RCCL and were very happy. However, we just booked the 11/24/2012 cruise on the breeze because we liked the new decor. Hopefully the service will match the decor!

66. Pamela Hylton
      September 27th, 2011 @ 9:10 pm

I can appreciate Carnivals past designer Joe Farcus,especialy for his strong yet sophisticated use of color.Sometimes Carnival’s/farcus’s spaces are on the dark side with minimal advantage taken of the natural light. The new designers seem to use a \less is more\ aproach to color. A full spectrum of color is still in use, which I truly love. Restful,sleek interiors with beautiful,eye catching color.I love the minimalist use of \nick nacks\ as well. Great Job Carnival. We have cruised Dream and am now am planning a cruise on Breeze, minus the summer sardine can effect we had on Dream.too many human seals in too many crouded deck chairs. Off season for me!

67. Sandy77
      October 1st, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

This ship is beautiful we just came off of vacation on the carnival dream ship which is also beautiful spent 7 days in the exotic western carribbean loved every minute of that includes the ship and the ports we are doing the eastern carribbean for 2012 on the dram also we cant wait and after that carnival Breeze here we come!!

68. DianeArsenaultAmirault
      October 13th, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

I will be on the Carnival Breeze on june 2 2012 for my 60 birthday june 9 Im so excited

69. Don
      December 7th, 2011 @ 1:33 pm

Just got off the RCL monarch of the seas….was very disappointed. Maybe my next cruise Jan 2013 on the breeze will be much nicer

70. Jim
      January 9th, 2012 @ 9:40 am

The Breeze is a huge improvement over the typical “Vegas on steroids” style look of the older Carnival ships. The Dream and Magic were improvements but the Breeze brings Carnival into a a whole new class. I never thought I would ever use the words classy and Carnival in the same sentence.

71. steven
      January 23rd, 2012 @ 11:38 am

i think the carnival breeze is very plain bring joe farcus back wheres all the neon bad move

72. June
      February 2nd, 2012 @ 9:18 pm

We have just come back from a cruise on the Dream thought the decor very plain so when our agent from Carnival called to see how our cruise went and to tell us about the Breeze we said no, but he said we really should take a look. We took a look and were very impressed, what wonderful colours this is the way I expect a cruise ship to look, luxurious. We sail on her February 2013

73. Annette LaFiosca
      February 23rd, 2012 @ 9:54 pm

The pictures of the Breeze are why I booked my cruise December 8. After 10 cruises I have tired of the neon atmosphere. The new decor is more elegant but Carnival is still the fun ship. I feel its the best of both worlds.

74. Frank
      February 24th, 2012 @ 12:23 pm

I havent been on a Carnival Cruise since i was 10 years told. This looks simply amazing so beautiful. 16 years later this will be my first one sailing on the brand new Breeze out of Venice Italy for 12 days in the Mediterranean Aug 2012!!!!!

75. Moishe
      March 23rd, 2012 @ 8:04 pm

Man Oh Man, I don’t care what they say, both positive & negative, you would be HARD pressed to find a Finer Ship at Sea. My Family flew out to see the Breeze construction & this is THE Ship for EVERYONE

76. Joyce
      March 26th, 2012 @ 10:49 am

So looking forward to spending my husbands and my dream retirement vacation cruising the Mediterranean on this ship in October. How fitting to have the ship named “Dream”.

77. Sue
      May 28th, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

Looks absolutley awesome… I’m shooting for something on The Breeze next spring???

78. Dallas
      May 28th, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

Spectacular !!! I love it

79. Larry Kemp
      May 28th, 2012 @ 5:53 pm

This looks almost like a Farcus free zone.

What a tranquil and peaceful looking interior to be on a Carnival ship.

I must admit to having several Farcus induced headaches over the years, this ship is drawing me back towards the Carnival line.

Well done!

Larry

80. Wendell Pendell
      May 28th, 2012 @ 10:50 pm

Very classy and sophisticated. Much better than the gaudy designs on the older ships.

81. Diane F. Fipps
      May 29th, 2012 @ 5:53 pm

Love it, would love to cruise on this ship..
      Diane

82. Joyce
      August 22nd, 2012 @ 1:57 pm

Have the Breeze booked for a cruise. Love the new look but also love the tacky, gaudy looks of the smaller ships. I’m 62 and when I cruise, I want to dress up in fun clothes and have fun. Sometimes fun goes along with tacky.

83. ROXANN
      August 29th, 2012 @ 9:43 pm

i AM SO EXCITED FOR JANUARY TO GET HERE. MY SON AND I WENT ON THE GETTO CRUISE SHIP PRIDE LAST YEAR.WE LIVE OUTSIDE OF BALTIMORE AND DIDN’T HAVE A CHOICE. WAS GOING TO GO ON ROYAL CARRIBEAN OUT OF BALTIMORE. THAN I READ ABOUT BREEZE. IT ROCKS.SO MUCH TO OFFER. IT’S CHEAPER TO FLY TO MIAMI AND GO THAN OUT OF BALTIMORE. SO LOOK FOR ME I’LL BE THE ONE WITH THE BIG SMILE.

84. PK
      October 18th, 2012 @ 12:44 am

I’m always amazed at the people who feel “Carnival” is the only cruise you can have “fun” on. I’m convinced most of then have never cruised another line- my first cruise 20+ years ago was Carnival and I fell in love with cruising- but my next was RCCL and I never wanted to go back to CCL after that – all the “fun” and more even but none of the crazy decor. Royal ships are simply gorgeous and so far from boring! Even Holland America is just as much “fun” but beautiful. I was talked into the Carnival Liberty a few years ago with Family-the decor was so awful it was far from fun or relaxing – so bad I would never have cruised Carnival again even for free! But, the Breeze looks good enough that I might consider trying her…

85. Melissa ramsay
      January 7th, 2013 @ 9:47 am

Ok.. So the older ships are a tacky in Decor, Neon colors, but it doesn’t take away from the great service CCL offers! They have outstanding service, They are far better priced than other lines, and offer everything, if not more than other lines. I have been on other lines, but keep going back to Carnival. I am now VIP on Carnival and plan on staying! I am looking forward to seeing the Breeze in a few weeks!

86. martha
      January 9th, 2013 @ 2:21 pm

Everybody with the so-so comments. GET A LIFE ! You are so lucky you have the chance to go in any ship. Have you look at yourselves in the mirror. You might get the idea. I LOVE to sail. These have been my vacation on my B-day and Anniversary for the past 29 years and I cannot tell you how much we enjoy every Cruise AND Cruise line.Disney, Carnival,NCL, Royal, Princess,Costa you name it.Love love love

87. martha
      January 9th, 2013 @ 2:23 pm

Our next cruise will be 1/19/2013 yeahhhhhh 8 days Southern Caribbean.