Forum Fire: Shrimpgate Gets Readers Steamed

August 18, 2011 | By | 7 Comments

carnival-shrimpgate
Earlier this week, Carnival cruise director and funnyman blogger John Heald published the line’s new main dining room menus on his blog, prompting what has now become known as “Shrimpgate.” After viewing said menus, many Carnival fans and Cruise Critic members (in more than a half dozen threads on our forums) were astonished to learn that the line’s popular shrimp cocktail appetizer would no longer be available on a daily basis.
And while many cruisers seem genuinely pleased with the new selections, some were further incensed by Carnival’s addition of “comfort food” options such as fried chicken, meatloaf and barbecue ribs.

“Nothing wrong with any of those items, but on the Lido though. I am just saddened they are taking what was once equivalent to a four star restaurant when I started cruising 12 years ago and are reducing it down to a Chilis or TGIFs,” said member CruiseCat, summing up the sentiments of many main dining room traditionalists.
Others are accusing Carnival of cheapening its product without lowering cruise fares.
Member dclark said, “Cruising today is NOT always cheaper than it was in the past! . . . Yet, the cruise way back yonder had better food, better service (remember assigned servers?, better entertainment (3 shows, three headliners vs Freedom’s three shows, one headliner). It has gotten to the point where they shouldn’t even be compared.”
Considering that “grown-up” versions of down-home favorites such as macaroni and cheese, hot dogs and even pie are popping up in high-end restaurants in most major American cities, we’re not surprised that Carnival has gone this route. Not only is it cost-effective (hey, it’s cheaper than lobster!), but the move almost guarantees that self-proclaimed foodies and your average Joe will all find something to love. Why not be able to enjoy “St. Louis Style Pork Spare Ribs” one day and “Duet of Roasted Rack and Leg of Spring Lamb” the next? And we love the sound of the “Spicy Alligator Fritters …”
“I tried the menu on the Liberty in June,” said kybowler. “There are plenty of choices for all to enjoy (if you want to enjoy it). I like to try new foods or things I would not normally pay for when we go out.”
What about those cruisers howling that Carnival’s main dining rooms are akin to the local McDonald’s? Some just don’t get the comparison.
“I don’t get it. … I don’t know what I’m missing,” said LambKnuckles. “I see the lobster, the chateau, the mahi-mahi, the rack of lamb, the flat iron steak, the short ribs, the turkey, the jerk pork, the escargot, the tilapia.”
And as for Shrimpgate, member donoiv has a suggestion, “Who wudda thunk that Shrimp would cause such a ruckus. Grab 5 bucks … head out to your local Piggly Wiggly and buy your own shrimp! If you love it that much … eat it every night while you are at home and then maybe it won’t be such a devastating event when Carnival doesn’t spoon feed it to you at every meal … [or] drop a net off the back and grab yer own!”
Get a peek at the controversial menus here.
Find out more about Carnival Cruise Lines.
Join in on the fun. Subscribe to the Lido Deck and we’ll let you know when there’s something new up our sleeves.

Comments

7 Responses to “Forum Fire: Shrimpgate Gets Readers Steamed”

1. cherylc
      August 18th, 2011 @ 5:26 pm

Caesars Salad in place of healthy greens is not a great Daily option either. And too many meat options for those on Vegetarian diets.

I’m hoping that you can still order a green salad on days it’s not on the menu, as I used to do. I already gain enough on cruises as it is, I don’t need any more help!

And don’t suggest going to the Lido for salad before the MDR–I use a walker & it’s hard enough to maneuver the Lido during the day- I just want a peaceful dinner!

2. Michael
      August 18th, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

I wish people would actually take time to read the new menus before making their comments. It might save them some embarrassment.

3. Mary
      August 18th, 2011 @ 6:35 pm

Cruising was an opportunity to try new and uncommon entrees that I would not prepare at home. Mac and cheese and meatloaf sound like weeknight at home. I realize foodies are celebrating “gourmet comfort food” but it’s not the cruise experience I want!

4. Sonya
      August 18th, 2011 @ 7:28 pm

The ribs were off the chain and the whole family loved them. Yum! If you don’t like it then pay more to sail with someone else.

5. Michelle
      August 18th, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

All this over shrimp. I looked at the menus and love them. Gives me who is a very picky eater, I don’t eat duck, seafood, escorgot, lamb, veal and a few other things..this menu has some of those and stuff that us picky ones will eat too. And if you have ever traveled with kids most of the food on the menu the kids won’t eat…..the comfort menu is perfect for them. Want a shrimp cocktail I am sure one of the ports has them….enjoy. And another thing….getting all mad at John is ridiculous(as I have read in other forums….he isn’t the one making the decisions……the beards are…..he is just he messagener….haven’t these ppl ever hear don’t kill the messagener…..geeeessshhh grow up put your big boy/girl panties on and move on with it……

6. mariann
      September 14th, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

i think the shrimp was a nice treat for many …who do not cruise or eat out regularly…like myself..i go on a cruise to dress and live a different type of life for aq week….but i love carnival….as i do not have endless money

7. sexymartini
      September 16th, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

We just sailed on the Inspiration this past week… cruise #19 on Carnival (with 2 more booked this year on the Liberty and the Paradise). We were SO bummed when we arrived and found out they didn’t have the nightly shrimp cocktail. We have sailed 4 times this year on Royal Caribbean, and this is a big deal for us. We love eating things we don’t at home, and shrimp cocktail is one of them. Plus we have a picky eater child, who was looking forward to it. PLEASE bring it back… it is somewhat of a deal breaker for us.