On the World’s Largest Cruise Ship: You’ll Probably End Up in This Cabin

August 3, 2011 | By | 28 Comments

Welcome to my home, which I tried to clean for your visit. Of Allure of the Seas‘ 2,706 cabins, more than 2,000 are 180-odd foot rooms, give or take 20 square feet, which look very much the same on the inside. There are modest size variations, and along the corridors, the bed and couch alternatively trade positions between door and balcony. Certainly, location also matters greatly. From verandahs and windows, you may be looking at Allure’s Boardwalk, Central Park or Royal Promenade neighborhoods (and other balconies across the way) … or the ocean. And it pays to read cabin reviews for info on location-specific noise or passenger-specific needs like proximity to the kids club. But know this: Whichever cabin you end up with, it will probably look a lot like mine.

Storage. Richard Fain, Royal Caribbean’s top man, has noted that one of the improvements the line made from Oasis to Allure was to add more in-cabin storage. There are plenty of shelves, cabinets, cubbies and bins to keep at least two passengers happy. To the right, the bureau has bars, top and bottom, for hanging clothes, and eight cubbies, including those housing the safe and bathrobes. Magazine racks are located near the dreaded connecting room door (pictured left), through which giggles, muffled conversations and music can be heard.
The Desk: iPod, interactive TV, outlets. On the 32-inch Samsung, you can order room service, surf the Web, book restaurant and show reservations, check and edit your calendar, and sob at the sight of your bill. You can even have a copy of your bill e-mailed to you so you can access it later and sob once more. The iPod dock and clock is a fantastic touch. It could be the death knell for travel alarm clock and wakeup call industries; I’ve been meeting the day with Miles Davis’ “In a Silent Way” every morning. The attached speaker isn’t obnoxiously loud, but I’ve heard music emanating from other cabins (a lot of salsa since we have a large Spanish-speaking group onboard celebrating 18 quinceaneros). On top of the desk is a conveniently placed trio of standard U.S. outlets; below is a drawer with a chintzy hair dryer and the mini-bar.
Bathroom. There’s none of that clingy curtain stuff for the world’s largest ship. The circular shower stall is enclosed by sliding doors. Inside, a solitary shampoo dispenser rests on the wall, its button waiting to be pushed. Containers of body gel, moisturizer, shampoo and conditioner, as well as an old-school bar of soap, are also provided. There’s storage to the right and below the sink, and an outlet for shavers up above.
Bed.. Carry-ons fit comfortably under the queen bed, which was created by smooshing together two twins, but anything larger may prove a tight squeeze. You have approximately a foot between floor and bed frame (I measured using an 8.5 by 11 inch piece of paper.) To either side of the bed are reading lights and end tables.
Thanks for taking the tour. Now get out of my cabin, or I’ll be forced to use my balloon saber.
Missed any of Dan’s reports from Allure? No worries: They’re all right here.
We stayed up so you don’t have to: See our feature 24 Hours, 24 Photos, 24 Activities on the World’s Largest Ship.
Read up on other Royal Caribbean ships.
Sign up for your own Lido Deck subscription.

Comments

28 Responses to “On the World’s Largest Cruise Ship: You’ll Probably End Up in This Cabin”

1. Frank L.
      August 3rd, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

Do you plan to do a comparison between the bufffet food on Windjammer to the Cafe in Central Park?

2. ACruiseGuy
      August 3rd, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

Did you know that the position of the bed alternates between being near the balcony or near the closet doors? I much prefer my bed to be near the balcony. This leaves much more room to access the closet,especially if there are two of you in the room.

3. Cruise Critic
      August 3rd, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

@ACruiseGuy … personally, I’m with you on the ‘bed by the balcony’ setup. There may be a pattern to it, but I’ll have to investigate. What I can tell you know is that 14202 is a bed-by-the-balcony cabin. I’d also recommend scouring Cruise Critic’s cabin reviews, some of which will go into that level of detail: http://www.cruisecritic.com/allure-of-the-seas-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=530&deck=11

4. Cruise Critic
      August 3rd, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

@ACruiseGuy … yes, that’s the alternation we’re speaking of. Across from my bed is a concavity, which is where the TV and couch are in the adjacent cabin.

5. Cruise Critic
      August 3rd, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

@Frank, one of the pleasant idiosyncrasies of cruising on Oasis/Allure is that you absolutely do not have to eat in the Windjammer (unless you want to). I’ve had breakfasts at the Park Cafe (tasty pork roll, egg and cheese on an English muffin with a side of pineapple) and Johnny Rockets (scrambled eggs, veggie patty and some forgettable cubed potatoes). I’ve also seen people eating donuts and coffee on the Boardwalk, and coffee from Starbucks/Cafe Promenade and pastry on the Royal Promenade. (Caveat: Starbucks is the only extra charge option of the four.) The quality of breakfast food isn’t stand-out, per say, so I definitely prefer the smaller venues (P.C. and J.R’s).

6. Barbara
      August 3rd, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

I had a room like this on Oasis… Although the couch was on the other side close to the balcony… it was our very first cruise.. and now to go on any other kind of ship would be a disappointment. I even got a memory foam pillow.

7. harris wilensky
      August 3rd, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

i was on the freedom of the seas on july 3rd thru the 10th.As a handicap person,that uses a motorized scooter,to go all over the ship, thius was my first cruise,where it was at times very difficult,to travel around the ship. I learned for me,bigger is not always better.Way to many children on the loose all over the ship.Making it very hard to get on and off elevators.The outside pools were way over crowded and too often children were alone and parents just letting do there own thing good or bad. In the main dining room,some children just got bored and ran around or made lots of noise and bothered other diners.It was amazing no one got hurt with all this running around the dining room.Even late at night,i found kids on the loose running all over ,whenh they got caught,they would be brought back to their cabins and since no parents were around,15 minutes later they were on the move again.i will make sure to avoid any future cruises during school holidays and large ships that are now catering to families.I love childrenm,but being 70 in this new world,parents are to busy being friends then parents to children sad to say no one knows how to say no anylonger to children.Their is no way for cruise ship to have enough help to make this a better situation,sad to say.

8. neta platt
      August 4th, 2011 @ 1:28 am

@Harris, we were on the NCL EPIC in April and I too ride a mortorized scooter for my disability. I found no problem with the children running in front of me, etc. We did notice an extra amount of children but that is who the cruise line is catering too on that cruise ship. We wanted to try it once and we know we won’t go again because of that. It is always challenging to get on and off the elevators but it is not necessarily because of the kids. Alot of adults are very rude and push right in front of me at the elevators and other places in line. Myself or my husband usually speak up and call the person out on it and make them feel bad for what they have done and usually they end up leaving because of everyone staring at them. You can say it in a polite way to let them know what they had done was wrong. But if I chose to not go on any of the 30 odd cruises we have because of how I have to travel that wouldn’t be right. So we just go and have a great time and let people know when they are wrong.

9. Ken Gerbehy
      August 5th, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

We are in a boardwalk veranda cabin on the 28th !1

10. JeanneJJ
      August 10th, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

I have booked a room I imagine will be exactly like yours. Mine is a balcony on the Boardwalk. It is a connector. Can you tell me if I will only have a chair, or do they have the sofa?

thanks.

11. Cruise Critic
      August 10th, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

@JeanneJJ, you’ll have a sofa, and there’s a chair that fits under the vanity/desk area.

12. JeanneJJ
      August 10th, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

thank you! I’m really excited. This sounds like quite a ship.

13. RobB
      September 7th, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

We were on the Oasis Aug 13-20, 2011. The ship was nice. If there was anything I didn’t particularly like, it was that it was too big! It was our 8th cruise with RC. It was awesome to see it, but for the future, we’ll try to book on smaller ships.

14. Fatima Hedricks
      September 16th, 2011 @ 7:22 am

do you have any kosher or halal foods on the Allure of the Seas

15. April Baker
      September 29th, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

We are booked in a connecting room on Allure of the Seas for May 13, 2012 and was just wondering if you noticed any problem with noise in connecting room. We’ve stayed at hotels before that were connecting rooms and it was AWFUL. Just wondering about your experience.

16. Adrienne Perry
      April 8th, 2012 @ 11:00 pm

My husband and I have a Promenade Stateroom. The window overlooks the Promenade. With a teenaged boy and girl who do not wish to sleep together, will the sleeping arragements be comfortable for the 4 of us?

17. Albert Moeller, Jr.
      April 11th, 2012 @ 5:52 pm

harris wilensky & neta platt, thanks for speaking up about your experiences with people and their children who have few manners and even less respect for others. About three years ago I was on the Queen Mary on a month-long cruise when early in the cruise, I experienced young, very well-dressed couple in the main bar/lounge allowing their three young children to race around in circles (literally) screaming at the top of their loungs for as long as they sat there ignoring their kids. I eventually concluded that I was seeing/hearing what would be yhe rest of this cruise trapped on this beautiful ship with these ugly people. So I after about five minutes of this, I spoke up and asked them to be more considerate of the reast of us (the lounge was nearly full) and stop their kids from any more “screaming, ranting, and raving”. Of course, they were extremely incensed (something uttered about “mind your own business” and “we’re paid passengers too”); angerilly gathered their kids, and quite literally stomped out. However, not before the applause and a few hoorahs died down from my fellow guests. Best part of my trip, and we never saw them in there again.

18. Robert Wadlow
      May 13th, 2012 @ 10:25 am

I certainly understand where you are coming from with the rude kids but lets not forget rude old people as well. In my experience on cruises, old people tend to be as bad as untended kids. They complain non stop, glare openly at children for no reason, and demand extra attention for no better reason than being old. Also, I’m sorry but just because you need a mini van sized electric scooter doesn’t mean we have to clear an elevator just to accomodate you. I am sure I will get blasted here but I know I speak for many adult cruisers with kids. Your scooters have become unwieldy. They have flags, baskets, double batteries. I am surprised they don’t come with their own on board bathroom as well. It is unreasonable to the extreme for you to get upset that an elevator which is full should empty so you can drive your personal RV onto it.

19. Robert Ellis
      June 23rd, 2012 @ 2:21 pm

I was in tears as I read Robert Wadlow’s comment; how hilarious was that!!!. let me say first of all while his comments may have been a tad over the top, it is loaded with truth. I’m 49 years old with two son’s ages 26 and 21. I told my wife, I hope I never forget what it meant to be a child. Perhaps more importantly I never want to forget the value of being around children. Frankly I would never book a cruise where all the guest were older people; what a bore that would be!!
      Trust me, when it’s time for me to get away from children I know how to do that as well but for me even the unruly kids are an importantly part of the cruise experience. (Even the most orderly children have their moments) In some ways they reminds us that life is an evolution and when we see children it reminds us of where we once were. personally I choose to embrace this fact therefore for me it invokes sighs of joy rather than distain. I have been on many cruises and chose to enjoy every one of them. Remember there is aways something that we all could complain about.
      KIDS ROCK; LET’S CRUISE!!!!!

20. Maxentius
      September 2nd, 2012 @ 3:26 pm

No problem if people like travelling with kids, I just wish there were occasional ‘kids-free’ cruises (and I’m only 37 y/o)… I’ve tried going off-season but there are always parents who pull their kids out of school to go cruising, or who home-school…. Just as there are tons of cruises with kids, there should be at least a few without, imho.

21. Dee
      September 23rd, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

My balcony cabin on Allure lacked adequate storage. The sofa was so close to my closet that it was useless.

22. Lillian
      September 23rd, 2012 @ 2:13 pm

sis 17 times and ALLURE 3. Yes, the rooms are smaller than on the Freedom class hips but if you are nt happy then spring for a JUNIOR SUITE LOL. Its hared to sail on the smaller ones after you have sailed on the BIG ONRS!!!!!!Love the BIG SHIPS Been on O

23. Mike L
      September 23rd, 2012 @ 5:58 pm

First of all I don’t see the point in paying a premium to sail on Allure, especially when you have a balcony that the view is another balcony. Besides the boring and dull color scheme. Secondly, I prefer to sail when most kids are in school because there is unfortunately some parents who are oblivious to there children’s behavior. Thirdly and most importantly the handicapped. Respect for someone with limited mobility should be universal. They didn’t choose to ride a scooter. For most it is a necessity.

24. Helen McNamara
      September 23rd, 2012 @ 6:33 pm

There really are cruises that are special for kids, done extremely well by Disney!

25. joy bazen
      October 2nd, 2012 @ 3:15 pm

It’s vacation everywhere you go any month there will be children and older folks you just make the best of it and have a great time

26. joy bazen
      October 2nd, 2012 @ 3:16 pm

going on allure nov 4th can’t wait it’s our 30th annv

27. Sannadiva62
      April 11th, 2013 @ 10:00 pm

This is our first cruise or visit anywhere outside the USA. We have booked a balcony cabin overlooking Central park on the “Allure” on deck 11. As long as it,s clean, I am satisfied. I am looking forward to the adventure period!

28. TxRascle
      August 7th, 2013 @ 4:50 pm

We just got off the Oasis (7/27/2013), and had connecting junior suites on the starboard side mid-ship…we were in the expanded balcony area, and after opening up the connecting barrier, we had a very large balcony. Both rooms had walk-in closets, which was great…

I don’t let the kids or oldies bother me….things could be worse!!!