Live From Allure of the Seas: Can’t Live Without Starbucks?

August 2, 2011 | By | 7 Comments

I sat on a brown leather chair under a metal tree and arching skylight sipping a Starbucks iced coffee. It seemed like the right thing to do before debarking for sun-beaten Labadee, Royal Caribbean’s private peninsula on the north coast of Haiti, and Allure of the Seas‘ first port. Mandy C. asked the Lido Deck if Allure’s Starbucks, which the line says is the coffee giant’s only floating edition, has the same menu you’d find on land. For the most part, yes. All the standard coffee drinks are available for the expected prices, and you can even use your Starbucks gold card. The selection of edibles is abbreviated, so while you’ll find red velvet pie, croissants and other sweets ($1.50 to $2), the at-sea cafe doesn’t carry breakfast and turkey sandwiches. We’d be remiss if we didn’t mention that there are free coffee and pastries available all over the ship (the Starbucks-owned Seattle’s Best is the supplier), including the nearby Cafe Promenade.
What about that “first at sea” claim? Needs a qualifier: The Africa Mercy, a peripatetic floating hospital vessel with beds for 78 patients, has a barebones Starbucks Cafe serving coffee donated by the java retailer. The ship entered service in 2007.
From what to do when you first get onboard to a for-fee steak tasting, catch Dan’s other reports from Allure here.

Comments

7 Responses to “Live From Allure of the Seas: Can’t Live Without Starbucks?”

1. Hank
      August 2nd, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

Seattle’s Best is owned by Starbucks…

2. ACruiseGuy
      August 2nd, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

The “free” Seattle’s Best is literally steps away from Starbucks. I like that I can make it myself.

3. Melissa
      August 2nd, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

Again…another way to nickel and dime the cruise passengers! Walk a few more steps and make your own coffee and not have a new folio charge…hmmmm…no brainer!!

4. Cruise Critic
      August 2nd, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

Thanks for the correction, Hank. We’ve updated.

5. Maria Waldron
      August 3rd, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

I love the fact that Starbucks in on the Allure of the Seas. I missed it on the Oasis. It’s the only place where I can get a cold frappy drink that can be low in fat and sugar to satisfy my sweet tooth. I visit Starbucks all the time at home and look forward to sailing on the Allure again where I can have a treat without feeling guility.

6. Tanya
      August 3rd, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

This was one of my favorite things :) It really made the trip extra special! Also, those metal trees had Swarovski Crystal humming birds… beautiful!

7. anna
      December 17th, 2013 @ 3:46 am

While there is free Seattle Best coffee that is steps away and you can make it yourself, it is not the same as an espresso based drink such as a triple grande white chocolate mocha. There’s a reason why some people skip the free do it yourself coffee.