Face-Off: Cosby vs. Juneau

July 15, 2011 | By | 11 Comments

bill-cosby-juneau-ncl-pearl-cruise
We received some good news/bad news from Norwegian Cruise Line this afternoon: The July 24 Alaska sailing of Norwegian Pearl will be delayed one day because of propeller repairs, meaning the ship will remain in Seattle that night with passengers onboard. Alas, the Juneau port call has been scrapped. The good news? Comedian Bill Cosby will perform for free for passengers. Plus, the line is offering $150 cabin credits and free wine with dinner that evening. We’ve already heard some (understandable) griping, and we’re torn: Which would we prefer? Uh, sorry, Bill. Now tell us which you’d prefer.

For the latest from Cruise Critic, subscribe to the Lido Deck.

Comments

11 Responses to “Face-Off: Cosby vs. Juneau”

1. Eileen Rzecinski
      July 15th, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

Two years ago when we were in Hawaii the NCL ship there ran out of air conditioning and there was no back up ship. At night I would think about how uncomfortable it must be for all those passengers. The next day we learned the A/C was repaired during the night. I was glad I was on Celebrity.

2. RT
      July 15th, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

You go on NCL you take your chances. Mass marketed to Mass Mahem.

3. Ann
      July 15th, 2011 @ 7:29 pm

We always roll with the punches on our cruises. It is vacation after all. You are not behind a desk at work. Juneau will always be there, Bill Cosby will not. More drinks, less griping I say!

4. Brenda Tallon
      July 15th, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

all cruise lines have problems , NOT ONLY NCL,we have had good service with ncl

5. Elaine Morrow
      July 15th, 2011 @ 9:54 pm

I think all of these posts foavoring Bill Cosby are by NCL Employees. This is ridiculous. We paid for a 7 day cruise. We got a 6 day cruise. If we had wanted to see Bill Cosby, we would have booked that. NCL “customer specialists” will tell you “you might as well hang up the phone because you have no choice. We are giving you 150 (to our 17k trip) to compensate you for one day you will miss. try selling a cruise that doesn’t leave the dock of Seattle. What? No customers? Of course not. People book Alaska to see Alaska. And if you can’t deliver a day then you need to refund a day, and let me tell you, that cost is NOT 150 dollars. If it was, let me book that trip. You forgot to add the biggest injury to insult, they say we will give you 10% off the next cruise. Really???? Do you think I would EVER cruise with you again. I dont want to even pay you for a soda at this point, much less another cruise. NCL SUCKS!!!!

6. FuzzyFish
      July 16th, 2011 @ 6:08 am

Back up ship? Are you serious? :/

Mechanical issues are not uncommon people, and they are certainly not isolated to NCL ships.

Don’t confuse anecdotes with data. Many internet citizens fall into this trap.

7. Tom
      July 16th, 2011 @ 8:39 am

Hey, whiners. They’ll feed you. Free wine even if you don’t whine. The bathrooms and AC are going to work. The bar and spa will be open. And you get an OBC AND Bill Cosby.

Maybe you’d like to rock around without stabilizers waiting on a tow because it broke down at sea.

The thing that I’d worry about is whether they get that ship out on schedule.

Agree that NCL sucks but had a similar thing happen on HAL last November.

8. Michael
      July 17th, 2011 @ 10:58 pm

I don’t understand Cruise Critic making this sound like a contest. The ship is going to be in Seattle regardless. I empathize with passengers not getting the Juneau port however NCL has offered perks. If you don’t want to see Bill Cosby, don’t go. Seattle is a great port so enjoy the city.

9. Jo
      July 17th, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

I would have been very upset about missing Juneau – it was my favorite port on my Alaskan cruise. I live in WV, so that will probably be my first and last trip to Alaska – it’s not like I can just fly there another day to see it. I had booked my excursions independently months before my cruise – took helicopter to summer dogsled camp & did dogsledding and did whalewatching in the afternoon. I know things happen but I still would have been upset about missing that port.

10. Ken
      July 18th, 2011 @ 8:36 am

Preferring Juneau is not the same as not liking Bill Cosby. If I have to spend a forced overnight somewhere, Seattle is on the short list of most desirable destinations. Sadly, mechanicals happen.

11. ValentineBaby
      August 23rd, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

What I would like to know is why this is happening again? I am going on the Pearl for the same itinerary this Sunday 8/28 and we are also staying in Seattle till Mon 12pm and skipping Juneau. Why is this happening twice in 5 weeks? Again the given reason is because of the propeller. Our compensation is 1/7th the cost of the cruise, credited to our on-board account. Nothing else. Money is inadequate to make up for a lost experience that we will never be able to recoup. We emailed multiple executives and got 1 phone call back from a polite lackey who refused to offer additional compensation of any kind. I forsee a mutiny on-board. I would be interested in hearing from anyone with any insight as to why this is happening again.